> cosmetic surgery for elf posers
Sheala
post Apr 29 2010, 07:08 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,868

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/10/26/cosme...urgeon-wil.html

summary, the surgeon advertises pointing ears for better music experience... but we all know better (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hermit
post Apr 29 2010, 07:10 PM
Post #2

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

Does he do SURGE too?

+Quote Post
Pepsi Jedi
post Apr 29 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 18,391

Clear photoshop work there on the pic. But I don't doubt a bit that people not only do this but that there's a market for it. There's people, male and female that get butt implants for a more 'lushous ass'.

If there's people getting butt implants, a few elf or vulcan ears are minor. Very minor. I don't think it'll help you hear anything, it's just style. Just like fake breasts don't help you breast feed any easier. Fake ears won't help you hear any easier. It's cosmetic.

More power to um.

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Apr 29 2010, 07:42 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

I knew a dude once. (In fact he is the one getting me into shadowrun) who had one ear "elvish". He always said: "When i got the money i will correct my ears... both should be pointy"

Also: Isn't this being done for years already?

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Apr 29 2010, 07:47 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Apr 29 2010, 02:23 PM) *
Clear photoshop work there on the pic.

Not really. I think I know why you think it is photoshopped, because her ear is so perfectly strait up and down, but the resolution is too low to say for certain that it is photoshopped. There are also some things that suggest it isn't a photoshop like the shadow created by her hair having to move behind her ear.

Besides, it isn't like someone is just making it up, I'm sure there is at least one person who has had this surgery and had before and after shots of themselves.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Apr 29 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Apr 29 2010, 04:42 PM) *
I knew a dude once. (In fact he is the one getting me into shadowrun) who had one ear "elvish". He always said: "When i got the money i will correct my ears... both should be pointy"

Also: Isn't this being done for years already?

So, he is a half-elf (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Apr 29 2010, 08:34 PM
Post #7

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Apr 29 2010, 09:29 PM) *
So, he is a half-elf (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

*rimshot*

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Apr 29 2010, 09:26 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

QUOTE (Karoline @ Apr 29 2010, 12:47 PM) *
Not really. I think I know why you think it is photoshopped, because her ear is so perfectly strait up and down, but the resolution is too low to say for certain that it is photoshopped. There are also some things that suggest it isn't a photoshop like the shadow created by her hair having to move behind her ear.

Besides, it isn't like someone is just making it up, I'm sure there is at least one person who has had this surgery and had before and after shots of themselves.

Personally, I'm surprised that the late king of pop didn't get this done before he died, being addicted to cosmetic surgery and obsessed with Peter Pan.

But, I'm in the Photoshop camp. First off, her ponytail is far too similar for it to be before and after the bruising/healing is finished. Second, the after picture has a touch of airbrush tan.

Also...

A newfangled extravagance is spreading amongst the music-lover youngsters of New York, which, after invading America, is sure to conquer the whole world. Ears becoming pointed as a result of plastic surgery not only enhance the attractiveness of the face, but also improve the experience of listening to music.

A sign of the popularity of this operation is that in big cities so-called Faun-Clubs are founded one after another, where entrance is only allowed with pointed ears. The reverberating success of this new look is supported by more and more celebrities with pointed ears, amongst whom we can find not only musicians, but, for example, models, as well.

The creator of this operation is a Hungarian plastic surgeon, Dr. Lajos Nagy, who is currently practicing in New York, and who is soon going to introduce his new method the first time in Europe, in Hungary.

Make your hearing perfect! Accentuate your personality! Be amongst the first music fauns in Europe!

lols. elf clubs.

+Quote Post
Doc Byte
post Apr 29 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,168

That one looks for real.

+Quote Post
Mongoose
post Apr 29 2010, 11:57 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 227

Its not unheard of, but the results look different. A good plastic surgeon COULD get better results, but this is what it looks like on BME- http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Ear_Pointing

I agree that its a hoax- the ear stuff is nearly half the content of the website. You'd expect similar documentation of all the other services offered, but no, no pictures of face lifts, boob jobs, tummy tucks... just the ears. Plus it apparently hasn't been updated in months. Plus, all the ear patients are about the same age, which points to the designer (somebody at a design firm in Hungary) just using pictures of friends / bussiness partners.

+Quote Post
Mesh
post Apr 30 2010, 12:18 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,443

QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Apr 29 2010, 07:53 PM) *
That one looks for real.

She has the ears. Great! Now all she needs is to lose 20 or 30 pounds.

Mesh

+Quote Post
MJBurrage
post Apr 30 2010, 12:55 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,507

The original link was a fake. You can tell from various details that the before and after shots were taken within minutes of each other. So either makeup, photo-shop or a combination.

The various images (pointed/elf)posted by others all look real to me. Note that in the real images, the ear has been cut, folded in, and then sutured to achieve the pointing (resulting in a smaller ear), while in the original post, the pointed ear is longer and just as wide (i.e. larger). To achieve a result like the original post, you would have to grow (or transplant) additional material.

One could achieve a result like the fake image by first growing tissue using a method like the Vacanti mouse, and then adding it to the existing ear. However this would be a much more expensive and complicated procedure than the real examples which just involve cutting and suturing.

+Quote Post
Doc Byte
post Apr 30 2010, 01:21 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,168

QUOTE (Mongoose @ Apr 30 2010, 01:57 AM) *
Its not unheard of, but the results look different. A good plastic surgeon COULD get better results, but this is what it looks like on BME- http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Ear_Pointing

Ouch! I think I'll stay with the latex ones. Much safer and less permanent in case of complications.

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Apr 30 2010, 01:57 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Apr 30 2010, 12:53 AM) *
That one looks for real.

Don't click on the link, don't...damn, too late.

Ouch.
I'm not gonna second the "lose 20 pounds" comment, but hell, when will people learn that the +2 CHA is totally not due to the pointed ears?

Of course, i've seen worse. I recall at least 4 different people who have turned into cat-people or lizardfolk lookalikes with the help of extensive tattooing and other body mods, and i'm sure there's a lot more out there.
Once you've seen that, you suddenly understand where the market for the more extreme implants in SR is at.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Apr 30 2010, 02:15 AM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

Well gezz, I feel really stupid now. Now that I'm looking at the whole picture instead of just the ear, yeah, the pictures were taken, not within minutes of each other, but likely within seconds of each other. Bleh, can't believe I didn't notice that. *sigh*

+Quote Post
Mongoose
post Apr 30 2010, 02:47 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 227

QUOTE (MJBurrage @ Apr 30 2010, 12:55 AM) *
The various images (pointed/elf)posted by others all look real to me. Note that in the real images, the ear has been cut, folded in, and then sutured to achieve the pointing (resulting in a smaller ear), while in the original post, the pointed ear is longer and just as wide (i.e. larger). To achieve a result like the original post, you would have to grow (or transplant) additional material.

I think a good plastic surgeon could section the ear thickness-wise and create a point from the (new, thinner) pieces of cartalidge, which seems to be what the site was saying they did. However, they'd still need to bring in some skin to cover the expanded structure; not a big deal in this case, it would just mean you have a few stitches somewhere else on your body, too. They do such things all the time for reconstructive surgery.

Edit- BTW, how are people drawing conclusions about how long apart the pictures were taken? With a camera on a tripod and some toe marks on the ground, you could take pics months apart and have them look like they were from the same shoot. OTOH, if you look at the site, a lot of the before and after pics have different outfits on, implying the people at least took time to change shirts.

+Quote Post
Pepsi Jedi
post Apr 30 2010, 05:04 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 18,391

QUOTE (Mongoose @ Apr 29 2010, 09:47 PM) *
I think a good plastic surgeon could section the ear thickness-wise and create a point from the (new, thinner) pieces of cartalidge, which seems to be what the site was saying they did. However, they'd still need to bring in some skin to cover the expanded structure; not a big deal in this case, it would just mean you have a few stitches somewhere else on your body, too. They do such things all the time for reconstructive surgery.

Edit- BTW, how are people drawing conclusions about how long apart the pictures were taken? With a camera on a tripod and some toe marks on the ground, you could take pics months apart and have them look like they were from the same shoot. OTOH, if you look at the site, a lot of the before and after pics have different outfits on, implying the people at least took time to change shirts.

Well if you look at the pic that comes up when you follow the link, the girl has the same exact hair in both pics. The highlights are the same, the pony tail is the same, there's even the same stray hair curled below the pony tail.

One she was smiling, the other, not. That one at least is photo shopped.

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Apr 30 2010, 05:50 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

Forget the pictures. Faun Clubs? Opening up one right after the other? Nothing that big happens in the NY club scene that I don't hear about.
Not that it wouldn't be awesome...

But still, the problem with Cartilage transplants is that cartilage heals for shit. It's got no real blood circulation. Even then, when it heals, it heals generally as fibrocartilage, which is tough and won't bend well. Elastic cartilage, of which your ears are one of three examples in your whole body, is a very specialized connective tissue, so internal transplantation isn't really an option. Maybe you could get some from a cadaver? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:22 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.