Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ninja, Character creation challenge!
Grinder
post May 4 2010, 11:34 AM
Post #1

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

For an upcoming SR4 campaign I opted to play a ninja-ish character, but all my builds are boring and the same I always come up with. So if anyone wants to come up with a new, interesting character build, feel free to post it.

400 BP
50 Karma
Elf preferred, otherwise human.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Makki
post May 4 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,036

Magic Ninja Thread -.-

+Quote Post
I Hate All Life
post May 4 2010, 12:39 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 18,523

QUOTE (Grinder @ May 4 2010, 04:34 AM) *
For an upcoming SR4 campaign I opted to play a ninja-ish character, but all my builds are boring and the same I always come up with.

My advice? (Which is probably unwelcome and will be ignored, but here goes.) Play a different type of character. Having people create characters for you won't make the character less boring if you just keep playing the same archetypes over and over.

I've actually been considering an oni ninja for myself, but I think he would work better as a samurai (in the classic sense, though Street Sam would probably be his role in the party).

+Quote Post
Tomothy
post May 4 2010, 12:48 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,558

Go with a pixie ninja adept, pump Agility and Reaction to 7 and Intuition to 6, magic of 5 will help with adept powers and bonus concealment power.

Adept Powers: Combat Sense, Increased Reflexes and Increased Infiltration (or exotic melee).

Equipment: Second Skin Line w/ Ruthenium Polymer Coating, Weapon Focus - Monofilament Whip

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post May 4 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

QUOTE (Grinder @ May 4 2010, 07:34 AM) *
For an upcoming SR4 campaign I opted to play a ninja-ish character, but all my builds are boring and the same I always come up with. So if anyone wants to come up with a new, interesting character build, feel free to post it.

400 BP
50 Karma
Elf preferred, otherwise human.

Fomori Troll with detachable Raptor Legs. Traceur and Melee Fighter
either Ki-Adept or Late Awakening

Or (my) Nartaki Elf ("One-Man-Army")
a Surged Elf with Shiva Arms and Striking Skin Pigmentation
(I added Astral Gazing,Mood Hair and Mood Eyes for Mine IIRC)

with two totally different Dances
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Karoline
post May 4 2010, 06:11 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

Alright, speed ninja creation run: Go!

+Quote Post
Karoline
post May 4 2010, 06:49 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

36 Minutes:

[ Spoiler ]

Didn't spend all the karma, and might have a few BP left over, but oh well. Do I get to see Samus take off her suit now? Oh, wait, wrong game (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post May 4 2010, 06:52 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

could be interesting to see an Oni (ork metavarient) ninja for a change. the extra challenge of their bright skin color would be a minor thing, once you start getting ware and gear.

+Quote Post
Makki
post May 4 2010, 07:57 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

i'd go for Restricted Gear (Samurai Armor with polymer coating) and adept with power throw and Throwing Weapons (Shuriken)

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post May 4 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

QUOTE (Karoline @ May 4 2010, 06:49 PM) *
36 Minutes:

[ Spoiler ]

Didn't spend all the karma, and might have a few BP left over, but oh well. Do I get to see Samus take off her suit now? Oh, wait, wrong game (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

I'd have gone with Ninjitsu instead of Arnis de Mano.

But then, i'd also have chosen ware over adept powers.
I'll see what i can come up with.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post May 4 2010, 09:00 PM
Post #11

Great, I'm a Dragon...

QUOTE (I Hate All Life @ May 4 2010, 02:39 PM) *
My advice? (Which is probably unwelcome and will be ignored, but here goes.) Play a different type of character. Having people create characters for you won't make the character less boring if you just keep playing the same archetypes over and over.

I've actually been considering an oni ninja for myself, but I think he would work better as a samurai (in the classic sense, though Street Sam would probably be his role in the party).

Oh, I've played a ninja character for a short time and that is probably ten years ago. But while trying to build a new one for the upcoming game I noticed that my builds are always centered around the same adept powers and ideas. Personality and background are already written - since that's what brings a character to life I'm not afraid that a ninja build by one of the posters here will be boring to play.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post May 4 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #12

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Karoline, thanks for the build. Will have a closer look to it tomorrow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
And for rest, can't wait to see your ideas and builds!

+Quote Post
I Hate All Life
post May 4 2010, 09:24 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 18,523

QUOTE (Grinder @ May 4 2010, 03:00 PM) *
Oh, I've played a ninja character for a short time and that is probably ten years ago. But while trying to build a new one for the upcoming game I noticed that my builds are always centered around the same adept powers and ideas. Personality and background are already written - since that's what brings a character to life I'm not afraid that a ninja build by one of the posters here will be boring to play.

Gotcha. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post May 4 2010, 11:24 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

Here's a basic writeup of a cybered human ninja.
Note that karma has not been spent yet (the char generator was mucking around) and knowledge skills are missing.
BP and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) have all been spent, however.

I also decided to ditch the usual shuriken. Sniper rifles tend to work better for assassination attempts until SR introduces shuricanons.

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post May 4 2010, 11:26 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

I'd almost say go Technomancer. They're great - with the right echoes and lenient karmagen - stealth sammys. I mean, who expects the unaugmented human to bust out four passes and turn people into gibbering, brainwashed wrecks with a touch.

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post May 4 2010, 11:38 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

My buddy had a great Troll adept ninja named "Snowfall". He had insane stealth, walking without tracks, the whole nine yards....and a No-dachi. The standing joke was that his entire stealth ability was based upon disbelief (Man, I know that I didn't just see a 9ft troll walking across the street in the shadows between those two Geo Metrocars! *rubs eyes* Yeah, just a figment of my imagination...) and what we dubbed, "Coat Rack Skillz" (*Sounds of urinating* Ahh...I was holding that one for-EVER. Huh, that sure is a funny place to put a coat rack... *STAB! HACK! PUREE'!*)

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post May 4 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

I like taking different approaches myself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go with either a full magician or mystic adept, then focus on some of that old school ninja mysticism.

Grab some spells like Improved Invisibility, Stealth, and Levitate. Throw in one or two flashy attack spells for fun, too, or maybe just the old standby of Stunbolt as a Sleep spell instead. Maybe take the Aspected Magician (Sorcerer) quality to shave some points off the package deal (which owuld then let you focus on just Counterspell and Spellcasting since you're going to be a heavy Skill character), too. You could even get away with a Condition Geas like (only while in costume) and a Gesturing Geas as well.

If you go with a Mystic Adept, there's a ton of powers that fit. Considering that Adepts were originally designed for Ninja-type characters, that makes a lot of sense. Improved Ability (Blades or Exotic Weapon, and Infiltration), Traceless Walk, Missile Mastery, etc. Maybe if you could get away with Elemental Strike and then asking your GM for permission to combine it with Distance Strike, it could make for a fun alternative to the aforementioned flashy spells. That would mean focusing on Unarmed Combat more than a melee weapon, but that's perfectly fine, too. It would certainly help you sneak past security easier.

Your outfit could be built from Form-Fitting Body Armor (Full Body) with Ruthenium Polymers and Thermal Dampening, allowing you to wear it under your normal clothing then, bam!. Just strip, throw on your hood and gloves, and go to town. I'd continue sticking with the more mystical theme and go with a Ninja-To (Katana or Monosword), and/or maybe some other weapons of choice for fun like a Custom Look-modified Monofilament Whip designed to resemble a Kasurigama. Getting one as a Weapon Focus makes a lot of sense, too. That's definitely the way to go if you decide on a magician in lieu of a mystic adept. But if you do go mystic adept and snag Missile Mastery, you can turn just about anything into a deadly thrown weapon for those occasions where you don't have or run out of traditional Shuriken, too. Decisions, decisions.

You could use some of the bonus Karma to initiate, picking up Shielding and Reflecting for some really cool fun, too. Especially when dealing with hostile magicians who like to hurl Fireballs or Lightning Bolts. Just grab that spell right out of the air and hurl it back at them. Masking, Centering/Adept Centering, and [Weapon] Attunement are all awesome choices, too.

If it's a long-term campaign I'd definitely go with the Mystic Adept if for no other reason than because they have so much more potential and fit in to both aspects of the character.

I mean, if you're going to call yourself a Ninja, don't be just another boring assassin. Embrace the concept and have fun with it. Sniper rifles and Arnis de Mano instead of Ninjitsu, indeed! <puts his nose firmly in the air>

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post May 5 2010, 12:44 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ May 4 2010, 05:47 PM) *
I like taking different approaches myself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go with either a full magician or mystic adept, then focus on some of that old school ninja mysticism.

I mean, if you're going to call yourself a Ninja, don't be just another boring assassin. Embrace the concept and have fun with it. Sniper rifles and Arnis de Mano instead of Ninjitsu, indeed! <puts his nose firmly in the air>

Non-standard ninja, hell yeah. Hi-5, bro. Besides, I would imagine that by the 2070s, the ninja clans have adjusted pretty well to the circumstances of security and the difficulties of getting to their target. Minor hacking - or at least spoofing doors open and the like- wouldn't be out of place in a ninja build.

At one point I was considering rolling a plain-jane human ninja, possibly with just Astral Sight, for help in sneaking past astral security.(It lets you -project- too, which is quite useful, and lets you take hits on spirits in their metaplanes.) Focused on, oddly, awakened drugs and chemicals for that old-school ninja vibe. There are some really good ones, too. Little Smoke to, well, be a ninja. Immortal Flower to always come back/fake your own death if necessary.(and your fees pay for Cellular Repair, in augmentation, all the time, so its less of a one-trick-pony). Rock lizard blood, for when you need to make your escape, not by popping down a smoke grenade - but flooding an area with pepper punch, neurostun and breathtaker, perhaps even all at once - and walking out unharmed. Or using it to get to your target in a cloud of chemical mayhem, leaving people to wonder how the hell you got out alive.

And, well, when the going gets tough, Chemistry lets you make plastic explosive. Up to rating 15 at no threshold change, if youre willing to pay for the raw materials. Boom. Go arsenal.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post May 5 2010, 03:18 PM
Post #19

Great, I'm a Dragon...

QUOTE (Rasumichin @ May 5 2010, 01:24 AM) *
Here's a basic writeup of a cybered human ninja.

Really like that build, as I've never thought of using sniper rifles as a ninja-ish weapon. Interested in trying to build this one with bioware too? Would make him even harder to detect.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post May 5 2010, 03:20 PM
Post #20

Great, I'm a Dragon...

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ May 5 2010, 01:47 AM) *

Grab some spells like Improved Invisibility, Stealth, and Levitate. Throw in one or two flashy attack spells for fun, too, or maybe just the old standby of Stunbolt as a Sleep spell instead. Maybe take the Aspected Magician (Sorcerer) quality to shave some points off the package deal (which owuld then let you focus on just Counterspell and Spellcasting since you're going to be a heavy Skill character), too. You could even get away with a Condition Geas like (only while in costume) and a Gesturing Geas as well.

If you go with a Mystic Adept, there's a ton of powers that fit. Considering that Adepts were originally designed for Ninja-type characters, that makes a lot of sense. Improved Ability (Blades or Exotic Weapon, and Infiltration), Traceless Walk, Missile Mastery, etc. Maybe if you could get away with Elemental Strike and then asking your GM for permission to combine it with Distance Strike, it could make for a fun alternative to the aforementioned flashy spells. That would mean focusing on Unarmed Combat more than a melee weapon, but that's perfectly fine, too. It would certainly help you sneak past security easier.

I'm not sure how cool it is for a mystic adept to use spells that need to be sustained. Sustaining focus is not that expensive on the other hand, hm. Will think about that.

+Quote Post
merashin
post May 5 2010, 03:44 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,295

the digital grimoire has an adept power that allows you to ignore any dice penalty adding up to a - equal to your magic. I was under the impression it worked for sustaining.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post May 5 2010, 04:05 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Grinder @ May 5 2010, 10:20 AM) *
I'm not sure how cool it is for a mystic adept to use spells that need to be sustained. Sustaining focus is not that expensive on the other hand, hm. Will think about that.

The spells I mentioned are used for getting to your target, and only for targets that your impressive Infiltration and (greatly improved) Chameleon Suit don't work quite as well against. You're certainly not going to be fighting while sustaining them, and if you do need to, there's always Psyche, Living Focus, and/or Sustaining Foci.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post May 5 2010, 04:09 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (merashin @ May 5 2010, 10:44 AM) *
the digital grimoire has an adept power that allows you to ignore any dice penalty adding up to a - equal to your magic. I was under the impression it worked for sustaining.

That's not what it does. It allows you to spend a Complex Action to negate a single situational modifier up to your Magic rating, and only for one task at a time. Each additional task requires another Complex Action.

+Quote Post
Grinder
Post #24

Great, I'm a Dragon...

QUOTE (merashin @ May 5 2010, 05:44 PM) *

Heightened Concentration. Seems to work with sustaining, yes. Thanks for the idea!

+Quote Post
Grinder
Post #25

Great, I'm a Dragon...

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ May 5 2010, 06:09 PM) *
That's not what it does. It allows you to spend a Complex Action to negate a single situational modifier up to your Magic rating, and only for one task at a time. Each additional task requires another Complex Action.

Damn right. See, that's why I wanted this thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:01 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.