Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wasp - Adept Decker, feedback appreciated
Tomothy
post May 7 2010, 05:52 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,558

This character is meant to be all about the legwork...

Wasp - Adept Decker

STATS (200 BP)
B2 A7 R3 S1 C7 I3 L3 W7 M4 E3

SKILLS (144 BP)
Computer (Analyse): 4 (+2)
Data Search (Corporate): 6 (+2)
Electronic Warfare (Communications): 4 (+2)
Hacking (Stealth): 4 (+2)
Infiltration (Urban): 4 (+2)
Influence Skill Group: 4
Pistols (Heavy): 1 (+2)

QUALITIES (+5)
Adept: 5
Analytical Mind: 5
Codeslinger (Browse): 10
Uneducated (buying off): 10
Negative Qualities: +35

ADEPT POWERS
Improved Data Search 4
Improved Hacking 2
Improved Infiltration 4
Kinesics 3

GEAR & LIFESTYLE (80,000¥) (16 BP)
Commlink (Response 5, Signal 5, System 5, Firewall 5 w/Customised Interface, Hot Sim Module and Browse Optimisation); Response Enhancer (Rating 3); Trodes; Subvocal Microphone; AR Gloves; Contacts (Rating 3 w/Image Link, Smartlink and Flare Compensation); Second Skin Line (w/Ruthenium Polymer Coating); Ares Predator (w/Personalised Grip, Silencer and 4 clips of EX Explosive Rounds); Low Lifestyle (1 Month); (855¥ left over).

PROGRAMS
Analyse 5; Armour 5; Biofeedback Filter 5; Browse 5; Command 5; Decrypt 5; Disarm 5; Edit 5; Exploit 5; Scan 5; Sniffer 5; Spoof 5; Stealth 5; Track 5.

CONTACTS (10 BP)
Python – Ex-Shadowrunner (Connection 5/Loyalty 5)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matsci
post May 7 2010, 06:49 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,626

Improved Data Search 4
Improved Infiltration 4

You have too much Improved Data Search and Inflitration

Those Improve the skill, and Skill max is Rank*1.5

+Quote Post
Makki
post May 7 2010, 06:54 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

QUOTE (Tomothy @ May 7 2010, 07:52 AM) *
This character is meant to be all about the legwork...

yet he has just ONE connection, that's just stupid. wants to do legwork, but there's nobody to ask...
get a pack of 1/1 connections with special knowledge, like dealer, cop, politician, etc

QUOTE (Tomothy @ May 7 2010, 07:52 AM) *
Improved Data Search 4
Improved Hacking 2
Improved Infiltration 4
Kinesics 3

skillcap is skill*1.5, so you cant have improved 4. your max data search lvl is 6*1.5 and for infiltration 4*1.5.go get something useful instead. like facial sculpt (with a Disguise skill, even better Stealth Group..) and Melanin Control, so they cant remember you

anyway. if you want to excel at data search, make a technomancer with echos Sift and Info Sortilege. they practically know everything instant and beyond

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post May 7 2010, 07:22 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

Wait, is the Uneducated flaw some kind of weird typo? For one thing, it gives more points than 10, and second, the rules say that you pay double Karma for Technical Skills even at character creation. Now, I guess you can make the argument that you don't actually use Karma at character creation anyway if you're using the BP system, but that's getting pretty rules lawyerish and overall it'd be really, really toeing the line between standard min-maxing and truly mindbending munchkinry, particularly since there is actually a Karma system for creating characters, in which case characters DO get nailed for the double cost. Further, being an Uneducated Hacker without Hardware sounds like a REALLY bad idea to me. You know how to operate things but you have no idea whatsoever what to do if anything glitches or gives you any sort of mechanical errors. Your PC is like an idiot savant who can use these things via voodoo but has no idea what to do when the feces hits the ventilation system. It's one of those character concepts that sounds kinda neat in theory but tends to go over like a lead zeppelin in practice, particularly since the GM gets to make you roll to accomplish things that even a Logic-1-and-defaults-everything character can accomplish in his sleep.

And honestly? Being an Uneducated Face is probably an even steeper hill to climb. Consider that Academic and Professional Knowledge Skills consist of things like Security Procedures and Law. And your character is at best vaguely aware that these things are a big deal to your teammates and employers. There's a reason that the Knowledge Skill example listed in the core book says "Mentally damaged in some manner." It's just not a very good fit for a savvy character, and being savvy is what legwork is generally all about. I'd just grab something else and save your GM the headache.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post May 7 2010, 07:24 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

I would seriously consider re-jiggering your specializations, and possibly get a point of essence in augmentation - there's some good ones. Simsense boosters, math SPUs.

I would:
Change specialties. Hacking to Exploit, electronic Warfare to Decryption or Scanning(not sure if Communications covers this.)
Drop Codeslinger. Not worth it for that. Instead, pick up Homeground, and setup a hack-at-home lifestyle - much better bonus. +3 to everything, instead of just browse. At a guess, you want these qualities: Free Access: 1, Privacy Screen 1-3(Matrix. People analyzing you are perception tests. Since it modifies the threshold, its great for hacking on the fly and probing, which uses your Stealth as a threshold.), possibly a Neighbor quality if you want someone looking out for you - or not.
You've five points left on qualities. Take Restricted Gear: Response 6 chip. Grab System 6/Firewall 6, and upgrade all your important programs to 6. (Exploit, stealth, spoof, scan, analyze, decrypt at least). Pick up an Agent, even if its just a rating 3. To your Common Use programs, add the following options: Ergonomic, Optimized 3. Now you have a 9-dice bitchbot that can help take the load off you on most common things - or teamwork test important tasks. It also gives a bonus dice while Probing. (this setup is nice, because the options are cheap, and it throws annoying bookkeeping out the door cause you hardly have to keep track of the Agent Payload, or the changing matrix stats as the agent moves around the matrix. Its worth 600ny per program for no headaches.)

Your attributes are WAY off. You're only allowed to start with one at the natural maximum. You didn't list your Metatype, but thats all past the limit. Even as an Elf, your willpower's 2 points off. Might want to fix that. Also, soft-cap magic at 5. You lose pretty much nothing, and save yourself karma down the road.
Adept powers are off. Improved Skill is limited by the skill's actual rating - so yo're two points over on Infiltration and Data Search. (Specializations don't actually change the skill rating, sadly, they just give bonus dice to tests.) The good news is, you can just swap it for something else.
Take Improved Perception instead - it adds to -all- perception tests. That includes Matrix and Astral. Very handy. Also cheap.
Improved Electronic Warfare and Improved Computer are also very good, and well worth considering. (encryption tests are bitches, and you want to power through that as fast as possible, and sometimes the threshold 4 on scanning for hidden nodes can screw you, so you want to stack the odds for those very important actions as much as possible.)
Consider taking Killing Hands. Any adept should have it, really. Possibly Astral Perception - its seriously useful for finding out stuff, which is what this character seems to be all about. Never know when you need to punch spirits. Perhaps Sustenance(street magic) for all-night hacking sessions. Multitasking is also great for an adept decker, because it changes Observe in Detail to a Free action - the same action is used on the Matrix, too.(p2294a), which lets you use your Complex actions on more important things.
Change out the Second Skin line for a Chameleon Suit - as it was pointed out to me recently, zoe's suit doesn't have a helmet. And you kind of want your head covered while sneaking around. Skinlink it.
Skinlink the predator and contacts. Grab some earbuds too - dampener, at the least. If you don't take Killing Hands, consider a machine pistol with stick and shocks as an alternative to taking down tough targets. External smartlink if its cheaper, hidden arm slide, maybe a gas-vent depending on your model.
You need a car. Get a bike. Arsenal has some good ones.
You want to know how to drive it. Get the skill at one, and specialize it at the very least.
You've a decent charisma and Negotiation, so Availability shouldn't be too much of an issue. Try to get yourself a Simsense Accelerator(commlink mod, unwired) as soon as you have the cash for it(or restricted gear, and start with it).

Annd...that's it for now. Hope that helps.

+Quote Post
Tomothy
post May 7 2010, 07:43 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Your attributes are WAY off.

Did I not mention that my character was a Pixie? My bad.

QUOTE (Whipstitch @ May 7 2010, 03:22 AM) *
Wait, is the Uneducated flaw some kind of weird typo?

No, it's me buying off the uneducated quality which all pixies come with. Unfortunately I didn't realise it's 20BP not 10BP.

if you want to excel at data search, make a technomancer with echos Sift and Info Sortilege.

Not available at character creation??

Clearly I also need to address my adept powers.

I might give this one a rethink as it appears I'm trying to do too many things.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post May 7 2010, 07:58 AM
Post #7

Runner

QUOTE (Tomothy @ May 7 2010, 12:43 AM) *

Hell no. Hacker adepts are great, and they do so very cheaply compared to other adept builds. Oddly enough, you're not the only person I've seen trying to make a pixie spider. You've got a great start so far, don't give it up. Just take a look at the matrix rules, and find out what you're going to be rolling in the course of gameplay. Sorry if my original critique sounded a bit harsh - and the fact that your character's a pixie throws most of the advice out, since you can't take implants or make great use of metahuman sized gear. (though I am laughing at the mental image of a pixie trying to handle the recoil on a machine pistol)

I mean, consider for a second.
Improved Attribute 2 for: Hacking, Electronic Warfare, Computer, Gunnery, Infiltration and Adept Enhanced Perception 2 costs you 3 power points. Lets assume you started with those skills at 4(either due to taking them as part of groups, or because you wanted some other skills at 5 or one at 6).

You've just taken the core skills for being a good hacker AND a rigger, and rolled out the chargen door with 5 skills at level 6, for 25 points(5 for adept, and 20 for magic 3) in addition to the entire rest of the character' setup.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post May 7 2010, 12:20 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (Tomothy @ May 7 2010, 02:43 AM) *

You are spreading a bit thin, but it is manageable, especially if you shore up a few things.

First, drop your specs. I know it sucks, but buy them with karma after the first session or two, they eat up way too many BPs.

Next get skill groups. Electronics skill group and Cracking skill group, could maybe just get hacking at 6 and drop the cybercombat if you wanted. When operating in the matrix, Hacking (Break-in) is the most important thing by a huge amount.

For your programs, either go the whole hog to 6, or drop it down to 3 for the price reduction.

I also have to agree about getting a large smattering of low grade contacts instead of one high end contact. Remember that at a rating of 5 connection, he is usually going to be too busy to see you, and even with connection 5, there is a good chance he might not be able to help you.

+Quote Post
Tomothy
post May 7 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

So complicated though... I prefer my pixie mage.

If only I could play a pixie technomancer hehehe

+Quote Post
Tomothy
post May 7 2010, 01:14 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Wasp v2.0

Pixie Hacker/Rigger Adept

STATS (190 BP)
B1 A3 R3 S1 C7 I6 L3 W7 M4 E4

SKILLS (148 BP)
Cracking Skill Group: 4
Electronics Skill Group: 4
Gunnery: 5
Influence Skill Group: 4
Perception: 1
Piloting Groundcraft: 1

QUALITIES (+0)
Adept: 5
Analytical Mind: 5
Restricted Gear: 5
Uneducated (buying off): 20
Negative Qualities: +35

ADEPT POWERS
Enhanced Perception 4
Improved Data Search 2
Improved Gunnery 2
Improved Hacking 2
Kinesics 3

GEAR & LIFESTYLE (85,000¥) (17 BP)
Commlink (Response 6, Signal 5, System 6, Firewall 6 w/Customised Interface, Hot Sim Module and Browse Optimisation); Response Enhancer (Rating 3); Trodes; Subvocal Microphone; AR Gloves; Contacts (Rating 1 w/Image Link); Earbuds (Rating 1 w/Select Sound Filter).

PROGRAMS
Analyse 6; Armour 6; Biofeedback Filter 6; Browse 6; Command 6; Decrypt 6; Disarm 6; Edit 6; Exploit 6; Scan 6; Sniffer 6; Spoof 6; Stealth 6; Track 6.

CONTACTS (10 BP)

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post May 7 2010, 01:16 PM
Post #11

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

You Must also take Distinctive Style : Dragon Tattoo. Eidetic memory. Uncouth, and at least a Contact named Plague as well, Not to forget Dragan either. Oh yeah, and probably some unarmed combat(Boxing).

+Quote Post
Makki
post May 7 2010, 01:58 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

Cracking, Electronics and Analytical Mind don't fit Logic 3. he's kinda average intelligent, but he's almost an expert in techie stuff? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/eek.gif)
try B1 A3 R3 S1 C6 I6 L5 W6; looks way better to me...

+Quote Post
augmentin
post May 7 2010, 04:08 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,416

I like this build. Any RAW for a specialized pixie-sized rigger cocoon to fit inside an Otomo or Tomino? Have to be acquired in-game, but could be a cool idea.

Also, consider Octopii's Mystic Rigger for additional concept ideas.

+Quote Post
Zyerne
post May 7 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,556

Why not a Nimrod? Throw in some Engine Customisation and your Pixie's gonna get pretty close to Mach 1.

+Quote Post
augmentin
post May 7 2010, 09:16 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Zyerne @ May 7 2010, 11:24 AM) *
Why not a Nimrod? Throw in some Engine Customisation and your Pixie's gonna get pretty close to Mach 1.

Just a thought, could you add walker legs and mechanical arms to a Nimrod and get the mech that keeps coming up on these boards?

+Quote Post
augmentin
post May 8 2010, 03:06 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (augmentin @ May 7 2010, 05:16 PM) *
Just a thought, could you add walker legs and mechanical arms to a Nimrod and get the mech that keeps coming up on these boards?

K I think I got it. (Work with me.) Nimrod has a body of 4. Tomino has a body of 10, thus a "large drone." Drone Rack large holds up to a 15 Body drone and takes 4 slots. Nimrod's 4 body supports 4 slots. (I'm not aware of any rules limiting payload, but if I'm just missing them, please post.) You'll need GM approval for your pixie-sized mini-rigger cocoon, but even if you don't get it - rigger cocoon enhanced takes up only 2 slots (?what am I missing there?) so with the Tomino's 10 available slots + whatever you get from removing the CCU, you're good. So, viola! Mech Warrior.
How am I doing?

+Quote Post
augmentin
post May 8 2010, 03:16 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Also, I don't see why Pixies can't be Technomancers. There's nothing in Runner's Companion, is there?

+Quote Post
Banaticus
post May 8 2010, 03:43 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,574

Pixies have a natural Magic of 1. You may not have both resonance and magic, so no pixie technomancers.

Use this to build a human mech -- it figures all the options for you:
http://sites.google.com/site/banaticussr4a/home
Excel version
Open Office version

Then install a Rigger's Cocoon (normally 1 slot and 2 with the extra stuff that automatically applies a medkit to you). What are the rules about determining how many slots a drone has so that we can approximate how many slots your cyberbody has? It has at least 3 Body, probably more, so going just by that it's a Heavy drone, but I think drone size refers more to physical size than just Body attribute.

Nobody will know that you're not a human... especially after you initiate and choose masking to hide your aura as a human aura... Just do all your hacking from a distance until you get 13 karma (or less if you do an ordeal and/or join a group).

+Quote Post
Karoline
post May 8 2010, 04:43 AM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (Banaticus @ May 7 2010, 10:43 PM) *
Pixies have a natural Magic of 1. You may not have both resonance and magic, so no pixie technomancers.

Potential loophole in that. If you get ware or lose essence, then your magic goes down, if it is at one, then it'll go to zero, which means you no longer have a magic score, which means you could potentially get technomancer.

Only problem with this is that you can't get the deltaware that a pixie requires at chargen, so you can't get technomancer or even latent technomancer, though you might be able to manage it from something like restricted gear.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 8 2010, 04:48 AM
Post #20

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Karoline @ May 7 2010, 09:43 PM) *
Potential loophole in that. If you get ware or lose essence, then your magic goes down, if it is at one, then it'll go to zero, which means you no longer have a magic score, which means you could potentially get technomancer.

Only problem with this is that you can't get the deltaware that a pixie requires at chargen, so you can't get technomancer or even latent technomancer, though you might be able to manage it from something like restricted gear.

It may take effort to find the Deltaware and might need GM approval, but you know what, you are probably going to need GM approval to play the Pixie anyways, so getting approval for a Delta Grade Data Jack is probably not all that difficult of a task (after all, it is only a Data Jack)... and viola, no more magic rating...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Banaticus
post May 8 2010, 05:42 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

If you did that, the pixie would lose: Concealment (Self Only) and Enhanced Senses (Astral Perception), as sapient critters that lose their point of magic lose all powers except sapience, natural weapons, and armor (and pixies don't have natural weapons or armor).

Speaking of which, an adept pixie wouldn't have to buy Astral Perception -- they basically get it for free. They can't do anything else magical without taking a magical quality, though.

+Quote Post
Tomothy
post May 8 2010, 10:07 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

My GM just okayed a Pixie Technomancer. *glee*

+Quote Post
Falconer
post May 8 2010, 05:04 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 13,662

QUOTE (Tomothy @ May 8 2010, 05:07 AM) *
My GM just okayed a Pixie Technomancer. *glee*

That's just wrong... completely wrong. Though those killer mental stats are probably worth it. Though technically it is possible within the rules. Start play with latent technomancer... (incompatible with QUALITIES which give a magic attribute)... get some 'ware... anything (though it must be delta grade for a sapient critter). Your magic goes to 0, you lose all your magical pixie abilities, but now you're elgible to become a technomancer.

Latent techno is technically compatible. As the pixies magic is innate, not due to a quality which gives a magic attribute. (very very very rules lawyer reading).

Edit thoughts:
This is a way to potentially drop the essence to 0 out of chargen.

There's the other quality out of augmentation:
Pair the Biosystem Overstress negative quality (need twice as much time to heal).
"Some people never really adjust to bioware implants, even if these are cultured. In such individuals, the constant biostress and the metabolic resources tied up lead to slower healing times and faster onset of fatigue." Only available to charaters w/ at least two bioware implants...

Gene Freak:
"...Gene freaks are the extreme result of such genetic tampering" -3 dice to all social tests not done over the matrix (it's a technomancer..) and +2 to intimiadation due to disfigurement.

Now pair that with the 'Genetic Heritage' quality...
Start with one transgenic (IE: trans species genetic mod) for free inherited from your parents. (though you still pay essence you don't pay it's nuyen costs). Further benefit is 20% reduction in further costs for others taken in chargen or later in play... since you need delta... this is a significant cost savings.

Very self-explanatory... you're a genetic freak... you get something out of it... but with a cost.

+Quote Post
Banaticus
post May 25 2010, 07:03 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Ok, how's this all sound? The pixie is all messed up genetically and so has some cyberware installed which lowers its essence by 1, which lowers it magic by 1, destroying all magical ability. The pixie then goes to school, learns all about computers then Awakens as a technomancer.

Body 1
Agility 3
Reaction 3
Strength 1
Charisma 7
Intuition 2
Logic 6
Willpower 4
Edge 1
Resonance 6

Cracking skill group 4
Electronics skill group 4
Tasking skill group 4
auto mechanic 1
industrial mechanic 5
dodge 1
pistols 1

buying off uneducated (10)
restricted gear (5)
college education (5)
biocompatibility (10)
Astham (-15)
Albinism (-10)
Day Job (med) (-10)

40 build points spent on resources to build an anthrodrone body
right cyberarm = body 6, strength 5, agility 9 with cyberarm gyromount and cyberarm slide, no capacity remaining
left cyberarm = body 6, strength 10, agility 5 for melee combat, 11 capacity remaining
cyberskull = body 7, strength 3, agility 3, 3 capacity remaining
right/left cyberleg = body 6, strength 3, agility 3, 15 capacity remaining
cybertorso = 8 body, 3 strength, 3 agility, 4 armor (this is where you ride), 0 capacity left
Average Body = 7

also purchased (with those 40 BP on resources):
datajack
smartlink
cyberear
cybereye
skillwires (rating 5)

Total: 0.8 essence used (thanks to biocompatibility)
Plus an additional 14,150 nuyen that can be spent on whatever.
I recommend buying a great commlink and some programs -- you can use program, you just won't have your normal +2 bonus that you get from being a technomancer acting in VR all the time.

Complex Forms known:
Analyze 6
Command 6
Exploit 6

You'd be going for technoshaman, with Charisma + Logic as your fade stat.

Did I miss something?

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post May 25 2010, 11:22 PM
Post #25

Runner

QUOTE (Banaticus @ May 25 2010, 12:03 PM) *
Did I miss something?

Yeah. Pixies need deltaware if they want bio or cyber, which isn't available at character generation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif) (RC 84)
And that's not available out the door.

But the good news is, you can get geneware and nanoware(not nanocybernetics) just fine. So drop the datajack, and give him some crappy phenotype alteration to reduce the essence, and grab Trodes instead. Allergy immunization is a good excuse. (i can see a pixie being pollution sensitive)

I am not sure if you can make a body work via slapping cyberparts together, either.....but I do like the idea of a pixie with a person-robot.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:36 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.