Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Grenade/rocket scatter strangeness
Veggiesama
post May 9 2010, 07:38 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,688

Just played a session where we ran into two separate problems with the scatter rules, leaving us scratching our heads.

First, my character was holed up in a convenience store and threw a pair of grenades through the window outside at a massive ice spirit (force 8, though I didn't know that at the time!) that was capable of chucking cars at us.

With a lousy dicepool of about 10 (Agi 5 + Throwing 1 + Lobbing spec 2 + Tacsoft 2), I still managed to score 2 net hits over the spirit's Reaction roll (-2 area attack) on the Opposed Test. Great, I thought. We rolled scatter (Book isn't with me now, I believe it was 1d6 minus 2 per net hit, and I rolled a 4) and reduced the scatter to 0 meters. In one more pass, the grenade would explode at the ice spirit's, er, feet.

However, things got silly with my second grenade (Adept using Quick Draw power to get them both out in one pass). I managed no hits, and the spirit easily beat me. We rolled scatter and I got a 6. The direction was towards me. The spirit was only 5m away, so somehow the grenade was now 1m behind me. So we RP'd that I dropped it, which I grumbled about, but let it go, since someone else was able to grab it and throw it before it went off.

(Before the grenades exploded, the spirit ducked in an alley way, and neither boom could muster enough DV to break its hardened armor. Whoops.)

Did we do this correctly?

Second, this ice spirit wasn't going down, so we tried to escape. Everyone jumped into my truck. One guy (Sensho) picked up an AV one-shot rocket launcher and fired it out the back as the spirit gave chase.

I don't remember the rolls exactly, but Sensho rolled more hits than the spirit on the Attack test. Let's say there were 2 net hits. Then came the Scatter roll. It was 4d6 - 1 net hit (SR4A). WTF? If Sensho rolled an average of 14, it was reduced to 12.

We were only 10-15m away from the spirit. So a decent shot with 2 net hits ended up scattering 12m in some random direction, which got reduced to 0 by the time it got to the spirit (since the AV rocket had like -4/m on the blast, I think).

GM saw this, said "Ignore the scatter rules," and Sensho hit the spirit, bypassed its armor, and sent the ice spirit to a fiery hell.

So did we do anything wrong here?

Any tips or suggestions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 9 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Wrong thing #1: throwing grenades at 1m range, and firing rockets at 10m range. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Angelone
post May 9 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

The scatter rules... well they are kinda silly. I could see a grenade rolling, but not back at you, and don't really have much experiences with rockets but those I have seen fired never did any crazy maneuvers like that. It's all needlessy complicated imo.

To answer your question yes you seem to have used the scatter rules right. As for suggestions ignore them or houserule them.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 9 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #4

Advocatus Diaboli

I can see the grenade rolling back, but you can alter the scatter table to include only non-backward directions. Say, W, NW, N, NE, and E?

The point of the rules, I assume, is to make these powerful weapons less sure. After all, hand grenades and unguided rockets *are* unsure in that way.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post May 9 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 9 2010, 04:52 PM) *
The point of the rules, I assume, is to make these powerful weapons less sure. After all, hand grenades and unguided rockets *are* unsure in that way.

Except for the fact that untrained Iraqi extremists are able to shoot down moving helicopters, where as a trained shadowruner can't hit the broad side of a barn...

+Quote Post
Dumori
post May 9 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #6

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

I shadowrun propelled explosive are as likey to wound you as the thing your aiming at. At exream ranges the scatter makes sense so maybe the scatter shoudl be based on the range category your firing in.

+Quote Post
TomDowd
post May 9 2010, 09:32 PM
Post #7

Shadowrun Co-Creator

Member No.: 15,644

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 9 2010, 02:52 PM) *
The point of the rules, I assume, is to make these powerful weapons less sure.
Also, the more effective/powerful you make something for the players, the more powerful/effective you are making it for their opponents.

TomD

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 9 2010, 09:33 PM
Post #8

Advocatus Diaboli

I'm sure they don't shoot down those helicopters from 10m, and that they also miss often. In any case, I wasn't saying that SR4 is real-world accurate. I was saying that these weapons (especially hand grenades) *do* scatter.

Maybe we're just talking about rockets, really, because launched grenades are ungodly powerful, and I've never had a problem with scatter on them.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post May 9 2010, 09:57 PM
Post #9

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

I mostly use the normal attack rules for rockets (hit/dodge etc), and the scatter for things that target a point in space. Not having dodge makes scatter less massive.

+Quote Post
Angelone
post May 9 2010, 10:08 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

Hand grenades do scatter aka roll, but not so much they end up behind you. The reason I said it's a silly rule is because when a grenade hits it tends to keep going on the path it was going in the air. It'll deviate a little if it hits a root or something but it won't come back at you. Even with the roll it is fairly simple to land a grenade about where you want it to, well within the kill range. My suggestion for grenades would be on a 1-2 it'll go off to the left, 3-4 it'll go straight, 5-6 to the right.

Rocket's like I said I don't know much about, but shouldn't those basically be hit or miss, kinda like firearms? Eh, maybe not as they have an AE component but the scatter rules don't seem right either.

+Quote Post
Veggiesama
post May 9 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,688

Many numbers contribute to lessening an explosive's final DV.

For a pistol, you got a Defense Test and a Damage Resistance Test.

For grenades/rockets/missiles, it seems you get a Defense Test, then a Scatter Roll, then (in the case of grenades) another pass for enemies to simply move out of the way, then a Damage Resistance Test.

Basically, for a pistol, you only need 1 net hit to move to Damage Resistance. For grenades/rockets/missiles, you need like 4-5 net hits just to make sure you negate the scatter roll.

Maybe it just seems like suckiness because my character sucks at throwing grenades. That's usually the case.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 9 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #12

Advocatus Diaboli

Angelone, only if you throw them badly from 1m. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Maybe rocket's shouldn't scatter, but I assume it reflects the fact that bullets in SR basically vanish if they miss. Missed rockets blow things UP, so it's important to determine their scatter. Don't forget about launched grenades, which don't have a 1 pass timer. … Come to think of it, neither do rockets, right? So, there you go: roll better and get to a *safe* distance!

+Quote Post
hermit
post May 9 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #13

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

Oh, that wasn't much better in SR3. I remember one instance of a bouncy ball grenade. Of course, that was also a stupid GM. It always is.

Anyway. The characters were on an oil rig, investigating sludge spirit matters, and some possessed zombies were closing in on them. A security shutter is being lowered, and the sam decided to roll a grenade under the door to splash some zombies.

The grenade is rolled an awesome 1 meter. GM uses scatter. Rolls a 4 (4 meters scatter), in our direction. The grenade rebounds, picks up enormous kinetic energy from soemwhere, and now is 3 meters behind us. Luckily, the mage put up a blast barrier, but ... bah.

How to fix this: simply use scatter only over distances of more than ten meters, where the grenade is actually launched. otherwise, you always have rebounding bouncy ball grenades.

And scrap scatter for missiles. They're not that inaccurate, really, they are not.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post May 9 2010, 10:51 PM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

To answer your question more fully:

Scatter was Nerfed in 4th anniversary. Overly so. Now grenades and rockets acquire plot teleportation, and scatter so bad it couldn't the crust of the earth, much less a broad side of the barn.

My suggestion: Use non-anniversary edition's scatter rules. Here:

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 15 2010, 10:56 PM) *
CODE
SR4:
Standard grenade: 1d6 meters - 2 pr net hit
Aerodynamic grenade: 2d6 meters - 4 pr net hit
Grenade launcher: 3d6 meters - 4 pr net hit
Rocket: 2d6 meters - 1 pr net hit
Missile: 2d6 meters - 1 pr net hit (- sensor rating)
Airburst: 2d6 meters - 1 pr net hit (- sensor rating)

CODE
SR4A:
Standard grenade: 1d6 meters - 1 pr net hit
Aerodynamic grenade: 2d6 meters - 2 pr net hit
Grenade launcher: 3d6 meters - 2 pr net hit
Rocket: 4d6 meters - 1 pr net hit
Missile: 4d6 meters - 1 pr net hit (- sensor rating)
Airburst: 2d6 meters - 1 pr net hit (- sensor rating)

Additionally, add back in: Net hits reduce scatter. When scatter = 0, net hits increase DV(like they may do for any other weapon.)
And the ability to aim at a point in space (in 4thA's rules, if you surprise three guys in the living room, you -can't- aim between the three of them to catch them all in the splash. You have to aim at one of them. BUT if there's an inanimate object, which doesn't resist being attacked - like the couch they're sitting on - you can just aim at that instead and get the effect of the old rules. Its a rather stupid, pointless change.)

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post May 9 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Udoshi @ May 9 2010, 06:51 PM) *
And the ability to aim at a point in space (in 4thA's rules, if you surprise three guys in the living room, you -can't- aim between the three of them to catch them all in the splash. You have to aim at one of them. BUT if there's an inanimate object, which doesn't resist being attacked - like the couch they're sitting on - you can just aim at that instead and get the effect of the old rules. Its a rather stupid, pointless change.)

Actually, the "couch targeting" is something I made up. The only reason it works is because the character wants to blow the fuck out of a chair (couch, bench, bar stool, table, counter, whathaveyou) and accidentally catches enemies in the blast.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 9 2010, 11:12 PM
Post #16

Advocatus Diaboli

Psh, a spot on the floor still counts as a target object. It's not a cheat to aim at it. Bleh.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post May 9 2010, 11:14 PM
Post #17

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

"That DAMN floor tile I don't like the way its looking at me!"

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 9 2010, 11:20 PM
Post #18

Advocatus Diaboli

I never understood the controversy. Grenades are obviously dropped at locations on purpose. It's an obvious, normal tactic that's always fit the rules.

+Quote Post
Faraday
post May 9 2010, 11:40 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 18,155

There's a reason why in FPSs you shoot rockets at the targets' feet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post May 9 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #20

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

Somebody wanted to forbid it because by RAW secondary targets cannot dodge grenades, only the primary one. So they tried to fix one silly rule with another one. Just let everyone dodge and place them at the edge of the blast radius if they are successful. If not they get damaged according to their distance from the epicenter of the blast and the attacker's net hits.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post May 9 2010, 11:43 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ May 9 2010, 07:41 PM) *
Somebody wanted to forbid it because by RAW secondary targets cannot dodge grenades, only the primary one. So they tried to fix one silly rule with another one. Just let everyone dodge and place them at the edge of the blast radius if they are successful. If not they get damaged according to their distance from the epicenter of the blast and the attacker's net hits.

Gasp! That's so simple! How did no one think of this before!?

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post May 9 2010, 11:45 PM
Post #22

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 10 2010, 01:43 AM) *
Gasp! That's so simple! How did no one think of this before!?
I know other people have thought about it before butr for some reason they were not heard by those who made the changes to SR4A.

At least to me telporting targets are better than teleporting grenades.

+Quote Post
kzt
post May 9 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (Angelone @ May 9 2010, 01:30 PM) *
The scatter rules... well they are kinda silly. I could see a grenade rolling, but not back at you, and don't really have much experiences with rockets but those I have seen fired never did any crazy maneuvers like that. It's all needlessy complicated imo.

It's terribly written, particularly for rockets.

But I once threw a hand grenade simulator ('just' 4 oz of flash powder) and bounced it off a tree limb, it went off at my feet. It was not fun. So having a small chance of having to go off on top of you or behind is perfectly reasonable. IMNSHO the danger of using hand grenades is underrated in SR, but I'm not sure how fix that in a sane fashion.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 9 2010, 11:59 PM
Post #24

Advocatus Diaboli

I don't think anyone can dodge a grenade. You can only try to use a move action to get away. Maybe allow Reaction + Body + Armor to decrease the DV.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post May 10 2010, 12:04 AM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 9 2010, 06:12 PM) *
Don't forget about launched grenades, which don't have a 1 pass timer.

Only when coupled with an airburst link. Which really should be standard equipment by the 2070s anyway; just add 500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) to the price of all Grenade/Rocket Launchers and be done with it.

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 9 2010, 07:59 PM) *
I don't think anyone can dodge a grenade.

Defending against a grenade attack is like any other ranged attack, the target gets to roll Reaction, or Reaction+Dodge(or Gymnastics) when on Full Defense for their half of the Opposed Test. Note however, that the Defender gets a -2 modifier for "Attacker Using Area Effect Weapon".

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:47 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.