IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kowloon Massacre Awesomeness!, My epic triumph of all time! (spoiler alert)
last_of_the_grea...
post May 12 2010, 07:35 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,904

Okay, here's the story. After you read it help me figure out how to exploit it and warn me of consequences I might miss.

My character is a very experienced elf (we started the game in 2069 and worked many adventures) who has a legal S.I.N. and is an arcology survivor. He's been through hell and fears nothing (Guts quality and lucky quality). Due to how I built the character and spent my karma he has a Charisma of 9, a Willpower of 7 and an Edge of 7. I had spent no edge and had a light wound which I was able to ignore duue to pain resistance.

During this adventure I had a string of bad luck. A critical glitch killed my SMG. I used all the ammo in my Salvalette. I was the last man to the helicopter and got left behind! Chasing us down was the ox-headed Yama King. The GM told me to write up a new character for the next session.

Hell no!

As some of you may know I despise deus ex machina and I demanded to face down the Yama King. The GM hummed and hawed, then said "okay."

One of the players yelled and tossed his gun to me from the retreating chopper...and it missed and clattered away. So, there I am, about to go one on one with this spirit. So, of course, it's time for trash talking. I yell at Yama-head that I'm gonna rip his head off his shoulders and mount it on my wall! Then we close for melee. I use one edge to get an extra initiative pass (for two passes).

I win initiative and go for an attack of will, using my edge. Due to the rule of six I got 7 successes! The GM rolls (in front of us all, no less, just to prove he was being fair) and glitches on his dodge test. He spends an edge on a reroll and gets one extra success, reducing my humungous amount of damage down to moderate (6 boxes!) Now it's his turn. He breathes fire at me and I make my dodge test (again with edge). No damage! My turn again. Another edge assisted attack of will and I smack him for another 4 boxes of damage! Next turn. I again use an edge assisted attack of will, this time only doing 2 boxes of damage. I edge the dodge test and take 4 boxes of damage myself from his big hammer. So, now I have -2 dice for everything.

My turn. I make yet another edge assisted attack of will. 9 SUCCESSES! Good gawd I love having a high edge score! This takes him out! The GM burns a point of edge for him, keeping him alive. He completely misses his next attack. My next attack gets 2 successes and takes him out again!

So, he GM ends it with me standing there on the roof, triumphant and out of edge while ox-head melts into a bunch of wormy things and they all fade away. The rest of the group is going, "Holy crap!"

I asked why the guy didn't just fade away and my GM responded that , "There was no way this Yama King was going to concede defeat to some pissant mundane metahuman! He had some pride! What would he tell all his Yama King friends? He'd never hear the end of it."

Now, how can I use this to my advantage? What do I have to look out for? It'll be a couple weeks before we get to play again.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post May 12 2010, 07:40 PM
Post #2

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,234

Honestly I'd ask the GM (and I say this bieng a GM myself) for your character awakening as an adept a bit right there on the spot, nothing too huge but maybe a point of magic or so. I'd also definitely give you a few free points of banishing to use on future attack of will effects. Have to say pretty coold story and you got pretty lucky.

+Quote Post
Samoth
post May 12 2010, 07:42 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 875

It reminds me of a story back from SR2 around 1994. Our decker fell off the back of our getaway speedboat, and with nothing other than a katana (and no armed combat skill) managed to defeat a kraken in hand to hand combat.

+Quote Post
last_of_the_grea...
post May 12 2010, 07:58 PM
Post #4

Running Target

That's a cool idea, Lurker, but I was thinking more about reputation and stuff.

Gaining a magic point would be a bit unfair to the rest of the group. We like to keep our karma and stuff about even. Maybe letting me spend karma on it would be neat, though.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post May 12 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #5

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Your character gets to tell a story that is cool and impressive at the same time. Word will get around. Depending on your character you can get some at least asien-wide reputation, or status with some very powerful behind-the-scenes groups, as you will have proven to be an asset.

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post May 12 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #6

Runner

Yea spending might be more appropriate, I was mostly referiring that I think beating up on an entity like the Yama king marks you in some ways. I think the biggest issue with rep is that many won't believe you or that it was you. Your reputation might or may not be helped but your going to have to do more then alittle bit of braging to cement things, on the other hand that bragging may attract unwanted attention.

+Quote Post
Angelone
post May 12 2010, 09:20 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

An edge refill and the My Pimphand is Strong achievment.

+Quote Post
Wandering One
post May 12 2010, 09:27 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,276

Of course, the question is what did the character do immediately after as the rest of Kowloon swarmed the top of the building in a screaming insane mass of humanity bent on tearing your limbs off and using them as shishkabobs...

+Quote Post
Abschalten
post May 12 2010, 09:35 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 7,655

I've had some pretty cool stories but never anything like this.

Good show. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/notworthy.gif)

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post May 12 2010, 10:25 PM
Post #10

Runner

QUOTE (Wandering One @ May 12 2010, 03:27 PM) *
Of course, the question is what did the character do immediately after as the rest of Kowloon swarmed the top of the building in a screaming insane mass of humanity bent on tearing your limbs off and using them as shishkabobs...

Errr you mean the screaming mass of humanity peeling away from the guy who just break the back of yama king in front of them? That screaming mass?

+Quote Post
Wandering One
post May 12 2010, 10:51 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,276

QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ May 12 2010, 03:25 PM) *
Errr you mean the screaming mass of humanity peeling away from the guy who just break the back of yama king in front of them? That screaming mass?

*holds up a finger starting to to say something* *closes jaw*

Point: Lurker.

+Quote Post
Minchandre
post May 12 2010, 10:56 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,468

QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ May 12 2010, 04:25 PM) *

This. I don't care if "He's doubtlessly tired from pimpslapping the Yama King, and should be easy to kill now," I'm not going near anyone who just pimpslapped a Yama King. There is not enough money in the world.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post May 13 2010, 01:22 AM
Post #13

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

The Triads are a very superstitious bunch (this being Shadowrun, this may be with good reason). And everyone in Kowloon know about the Yama Kings. So I'd say every Triad footman is gonna stay the fuck away from you. Triad bosses, a more pragmatic bunch, are going to try to use you. Any Triad boss associated to the Yama King Killer is gonna get mad cred and move up the ranks really quickly. So, you've just become a political chess piece.

+Quote Post
Falconer
post May 13 2010, 04:51 AM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 13,662

I'd say the GM didn't play the spirit even remotely correctly...

where were the spirits powers?! Confusion, fear, etc... Why didn't the spirit just move/levitate out of range of melee and elemental attack you to death... this is supposedly an Int/log/wil 9 spirit. How is it you closed to melee w/o it even pulling off any ranged attacks. At least it should have shown some brains... as well as rolled melee defense (attribute + skill) + soak... Seriously, this comes up all the time w/ DnD dragons, very smart spirits, etc.... they get played like utter dopes.

As for what the player should get... an enemy quality. He's now royally torqued off a free spirit, while only temporarily inconveniencing it for a few weeks. That spirit will be back, and the player will have it's comeuppance (and probably dead). Player has better have a mage on permenant security retainer... that is if the spirit doesn't just pay someone to pop a cap into him from a klick away. Really, the player doesn't have the means to permanently eliminate the spirit... so he's got a major recurring headache on his hands now. (especially since the spirit can astrally travel to pretty much anywhere in a hurry and make his life miserable).

Triads will probably try and kill you to get on the spirits good side. Forget running away in fear. There will be others who will think exactly that, lucky fluke, and be out to off you just to show they're tougher as well.

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post May 13 2010, 05:28 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ May 13 2010, 12:25 AM) *

Isn't that a mass of crazed junkies who aren't exactly susceptible to fear ? (I haven't the book and can't remember the effects of their dosing, but I have a feeling it's something like berzerk, fearles agression)

+Quote Post
last_of_the_grea...
post May 13 2010, 05:29 AM
Post #16

Running Target

QUOTE (Falconer @ May 12 2010, 09:51 PM) *
I'd say the GM didn't play the spirit even remotely correctly...

where were the spirits powers?! Confusion, fear, etc... Why didn't the spirit just move/levitate out of range of melee and elemental attack you to death... this is supposedly an Int/log/wil 9 spirit. How is it you closed to melee w/o it even pulling off any ranged attacks. At least it should have shown some brains... as well as rolled melee defense (attribute + skill) + soak... Seriously, this comes up all the time w/ DnD dragons, very smart spirits, etc.... they get played like utter dopes.

As for what the player should get... an enemy quality. He's now royally torqued off a free spirit, while only temporarily inconveniencing it for a few weeks. That spirit will be back, and the player will have it's comeuppance (and probably dead). Player has better have a mage on permenant security retainer... that is if the spirit doesn't just pay someone to pop a cap into him from a klick away. Really, the player doesn't have the means to permanently eliminate the spirit... so he's got a major recurring headache on his hands now. (especially since the spirit can astrally travel to pretty much anywhere in a hurry and make his life miserable).

Triads will probably try and kill you to get on the spirits good side. Forget running away in fear. There will be others who will think exactly that, lucky fluke, and be out to off you just to show they're tougher as well.

I knew a post like this would happen. Do we need to be hostile about something that happenned a bit on the fly and had a result that was so unexpected? Nobody is perfect, it happenned and it is over so now I have to deal with the fallout, both good and bad.

As for why he fought mano-a-mano: this was also asked. The GM made the call on the fly that said spirit really liked his big hammer. He did try an elemental blast (fire breath) and completely failed. Fear would have been tough to use on my character with a 7 willpower and the guts quality. The GM decided not to bother as he expected to mop the floor with me. He didn't run because "There's no way some pissant little mortal mundane can harm me!" was his mentality. He was in no real danger as he can just come back again.

Also, this was 4 ROUNDS OF COMBAT! From zero to hero in under 30 seconds! I fully expected to be turned to goo without any such spell and got lucky. That's what edge is for! I already anticipate an A+ level recurring enemy.

There is a mage on the team. I'm sure he'll come in handy.

Now, let's please not turn this into a "what was done wrong" thread and keep it what I intended it to be: bragging rights and asking about consequences!

+Quote Post
last_of_the_grea...
post May 13 2010, 05:34 AM
Post #17

Running Target

QUOTE (Wandering One @ May 12 2010, 02:27 PM) *

Immediately after is next game session.

+Quote Post
NetWraith
post May 13 2010, 05:51 AM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 16,568

I agree, let the man have his moment of glory(before he's sucked into an unrelenting hell by his GM.) As a GM myself I make some calls on the fly that don't seem to make sense at the time we go on and just make sure to catch it next time. If I were the GM I'd have probably went the same direction with this and as long as everyone had a good time it's ok. I'm sure it would've been a good story to tell around the gaming table even if the end result had been his failure.

I have to say that it was a cool story.

+Quote Post
AngelisStorm
post May 13 2010, 05:52 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

From: Edge of the Redmond Barrens, Borderline NAN. Runnin' the border for literal milk runs.
Member No.: 11,565

Spirit Bane: Yama King
Latent Awakening
Fame: Local

Enemy: that Yama King
+1 dam to all future Attacks of Will

1pt Street Cred
1pt Notoriety

Full Edge refill, as he now has to survive the chaos of Kolwoon and escape. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

Your milage will vary.

+Quote Post
last_of_the_grea...
post May 13 2010, 06:12 AM
Post #20

Running Target

Gawd I sure hope I get some edge back! All the guy has is the SMG that was tossed to him (assuming it still works. It was dropped a good 5 meters) with whatever ammo is left in it, his commlink, his armour (which isn't too bad, actually) and his skills. Stealth group 4 don't fail me now! Or perhaps Influence group 4 + intimidation 5 will work better...

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post May 13 2010, 07:06 AM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (AngelisStorm @ May 12 2010, 10:52 PM) *
+1 dam to all future Attacks of Will

There's a martial arts style that does that Kiai/Tai Chi. Its one of the style advantages, and doesn't even need a maneuver, and you can take it up to three times for +1DV each. You can also combine it with the Focus Will maneuver, for two extra dice, if you have a moment to concentrate before striking.

Other than that, I pretty much have to agree with angelis's list.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post May 13 2010, 07:08 AM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ May 12 2010, 11:12 PM) *
Gawd I sure hope I get some edge back! All the guy has is the SMG that was tossed to him (assuming it still works. It was dropped a good 5 meters) with whatever ammo is left in it, his commlink, his armour (which isn't too bad, actually) and his skills. Stealth group 4 don't fail me now! Or perhaps Influence group 4 + intimidation 5 will work better...

that's it? No armor, no grenades, no gecko-tip gloves to crawl your way to escape and eventual victory?

Also, if you're going to do something about the Yama King coming back to punk your ass, you should start doing it before it gets over being Disrupted.

+Quote Post
last_of_the_grea...
post May 13 2010, 07:42 AM
Post #23

Running Target

He has armour. Armour jacket with electrical resistance and chemical resistance upgrade and that thing from arsenal (I forget it's name) that protects your vitals and joints, adding impact armour. Crap! I hate forgetting names! I'm too lazy to go look it up right now, though.

Nope. No grenades, no gecko gloves and an athletics group skill of exactly one! I figure I'm gonna need intimidation a lot. Do ya think laying the smackdown on that Yama King's candyass will give me a bonus?

+Quote Post
Makki
post May 13 2010, 08:14 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ May 13 2010, 09:42 AM) *
I figure I'm gonna need intimidation a lot. Do ya think laying the smackdown on that Yama King's candyass will give me a bonus?

At the gamemaster’s discretion, additional points may be added
to a character’s Street Cred for any epic adventures, stunning victories

Street Cred applies as a dice pool bonus to any applicable Social Skill
Test in which the character’s reputation is known and is a factor. For
example, a fixer with a Street Cred of 3 would receive a +3 dice pool
modifier when making an Intimidation Test. Note that this modifier
only applies when the character is dealing with people who are aware
of her reputation.

that's exactly, what i'd give you. about 5? (because, thats what my gm gave me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ). As long as you don't hide and disguise, word will spread fast through kowloon and the triads...plus an edge refill of course...

+Quote Post
AngelisStorm
post May 13 2010, 08:49 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

From: Edge of the Redmond Barrens, Borderline NAN. Runnin' the border for literal milk runs.
Member No.: 11,565

QUOTE (Udoshi @ May 13 2010, 02:06 AM) *
There's a martial arts style that does that Kiai/Tai Chi. Its one of the style advantages, and doesn't even need a maneuver, and you can take it up to three times for +1DV each. You can also combine it with the Focus Will maneuver, for two extra dice, if you have a moment to concentrate before striking.

Other than that, I pretty much have to agree with angelis's list.

I know. And since Enemies are supposed to use the same pt chart as contacts (so from 2-12, unless they are groups?), I figured a Yama would balance out a quality that is effectively a 5pt martial art quality. Things might need to be adjusted up and down.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:01 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.