IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun package to be added to Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, Making character creation and game management easier
JM Hardy
post May 13 2010, 03:26 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,392

An exciting announcement went up on both the Catalyst website and Shadowrun4.com. For your convenience, here's the whole thing:

QUOTE ("Catalyst Game Labs")
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Catalyst Game Labs and Lone Wolf Development are pleased to announce that they have entered into a new, long-term license for the Shadowrun intellectual property. Lone Wolf will shortly begin development of a Shadowrun data package for its award-winning character management software, Hero Lab. The new data package will initially cover the core Shadowrun Fourth Edition game system, and will later be expanded with content from Shadowrun’s many great supplements.

“We’ve been working with Lone Wolf to make this happen for a long time,” states Randall Bills, Managing Developer of Catalyst Game Labs. “Once we finalized the details, Topps approved the license quickly, signifying their appreciation of the importance of digital tools in further developing the Shadowrun line. Lone Wolf Development has a history of bringing innovative technology to the gaming industry, and we look forward to diving into this great new opportunity for Shadowrun alongside them.”

Released in 2006, the ENnie award-winning Hero Lab includes an easy-to-use, intuitive interface atop a versatile database engine. Data packages for more than a dozen different role-playing games from a wide range of publishers are already available. Users can add their own custom content to existing games or even create data files for entirely new game systems. The combination of powerful, user-friendly software and the diverse RPGs it supports make Hero Lab one of the most successful character management tools ever released.

”We’re very excited to add Shadowrun to the list of games Hero Lab supports”, said Rob Bowes, President of Lone Wolf Development. “Catalyst recognizes that digital tools like Hero Lab are critical to the success of the gaming industry in the 21st century. By lowering the barrier of entry, Hero Lab makes it easier than ever for RPGs to attract new players, and for existing players to maximize their gaming experience.”

Look to www.wolflair.com and www.catalystgamelabs.com for future announcements concerning this exciting development!

Catalyst Game Labs

Catalyst Game Labs is dedicated to producing high quality games and fiction that mesh sophisticated game mechanics with dynamic universes-all presented in a form that allows beginning players and long-time veterans to easily jump into our games and fiction readers to enjoy our stories even if they don’t know the games.

Catalyst Game Labs is an imprint of InMediaRes Productions, LLC, which specializes in electronic publishing of professional fiction. This allows Catalyst to participate in a synergy that melds printed gaming material and fiction with all the benefits of electronic interfaces and online communities, creating a whole-package experience for any type of player or reader. Find Catalyst Game Labs online at www.catalystgamelabs.com

Lone Wolf Development

Lone Wolf Development specializes in creating innovative digital tools for the tabletop gaming industry, allowing players to streamline game preparation, eliminate errors, and spend more time playing the games they love. With an ever-growing suite of tools, including the award-winning Army Builder and Hero Lab products, Lone Wolf’s digital tools are in regular use by tens of thousands of gamers, from miniatures games to card games to role-playing games. Find out more about Lone Wolf Development by visiting our web site at www.wolflair.com.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HappyDaze
post May 13 2010, 03:31 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,669

I really hope that they can make it work with SR 5e. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

+Quote Post
Dread Moores
post May 13 2010, 03:35 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,303

I'd have my doubts that Topps would let this license go through if they weren't intending to renew the license with CGL. I could certainly be wrong, but there seems to be a lot of hints offered there to the overall license renewal.

+Quote Post
Lithium
post May 13 2010, 03:54 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 18,429

I'm sorry, I admit my confusion here.

Mr Hardy - Is this confirmation that CGL has retained the licence for Shadowrun for the foreseeable future? Years?

+Quote Post
Kid Chameleon
post May 13 2010, 03:57 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,315

QUOTE (Lithium @ May 12 2010, 10:54 PM) *

Mr Hardy - Is this confirmation that CGL has retained the licence for Shadowrun for the foreseeable future? Years?

I'm sure that would warrant a separate announcement. This is just about Lone Wolf becoming another licensee of Shadowrun, though CGL was involved in the process.

+Quote Post
Caadium
post May 13 2010, 04:02 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,646

Does this have any effect on the the similar apps and excel files that are in discussion on the "Community Projects" section of this page? In other words, will this limit their ability to continue doing what they've done?

+Quote Post
Banaticus
post May 13 2010, 04:03 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,574

Well, that's pretty flipping pointless, we already have the SR4CharGen from DaisyBox for 4th edition and before that we had the NSRCG for 3rd edition. If the company had jumped on this when the new edition first came out, it would have been great, but they dragged their feet for forever and were long ago scooped.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post May 13 2010, 04:27 AM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

I still think Daegann's Character Generator is one of the best, if not THE best SR4 character generator out there. Sure, it's missing a couple of things, but DaisyBox is also missing those things as well.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 13 2010, 04:35 AM
Post #9

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

I find Daegann's very user-hostile, actually. Additional competition in this area can only help.

+Quote Post
JM Hardy
post May 13 2010, 04:44 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,392

QUOTE (Lithium @ May 12 2010, 10:54 PM) *

At the moment, I can't say anything about the license, and this is a separate deal. I'm happy about it, though, and I'm glad Topps approved it so promptly.

Jason H.

+Quote Post
Lithium
post May 13 2010, 04:49 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 18,429

Thanks Jason for the prompt response. With the seemed demise of the CGL speculation thread, I'm trying to gather whatever info is out there to determine whether I should be putting all of my newly acquired 4th ed books on eBay in preparation for a 5th ed.

Right now, I have one shelf dedicated to 4th ed and a lot of 3rd ed which hardly got used due to a lack of SR players in Newcastle, Aus.

+Quote Post
MJBurrage
post May 13 2010, 05:24 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 11,507

QUOTE (Lithium @ May 13 2010, 12:49 AM) *
Thanks Jason for the prompt response. With the seemed demise of the CGL speculation thread, I'm trying to gather whatever info is out there to determine whether I should be putting all of my newly acquired 4th ed books on eBay in preparation for a 5th ed.

Right now, I have one shelf dedicated to 4th ed and a lot of 3rd ed which hardly got used due to a lack of SR players in Newcastle, Aus.

IMHO, I would be very surprised if even a new company would do a Fifth Ed. any time soon. SR4A only came out last year, and it would probably annoy almost all customers if a new edition came out in the near future.

Remember that most of the Shadowrun player base probably has no idea that any of the legal stuff is going on.

+Quote Post
Cardul
post May 13 2010, 05:33 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,006

QUOTE (JM Hardy @ May 12 2010, 11:44 PM) *
At the moment, I can't say anything about the license, and this is a separate deal. I'm happy about it, though, and I'm glad Topps approved it so promptly.

Jason H.

The hold up, I had heard, was Microsoft approval. Since it is electronic media, it has to also be paying Microsquish,
the same way Heavy Metal is paying Microsoft.

+Quote Post
knasser
post May 13 2010, 06:15 AM
Post #14

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (MJBurrage @ May 13 2010, 06:24 AM) *
IMHO, I would be very surprised if even a new company would do a Fifth Ed. any time soon. SR4A only came out last year, and it would probably annoy almost all customers if a new edition came out in the near future.

Remember that most of the Shadowrun player base probably has no idea that any of the legal stuff is going on.

New editions always annoy people. But just to note that SR4A wasn't a new edition. It was the same edition with the errata incorporated. We tend to refer to SR4A sometimes rather than SR4 as both a shorthand of explaining which page numbers we're using and to confirm that we're aware of / using the errata. Other than the nice artwork and not having to refer to the separate errata sheet, it's the same edition.

K.

+Quote Post
MJBurrage
post May 13 2010, 06:22 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,507

QUOTE (knasser @ May 13 2010, 02:15 AM) *
New editions always annoy people. But just to note that SR4A wasn't a new edition. It was the same edition with the errata incorporated. We tend to refer to SR4A sometimes rather than SR4 as both a shorthand of explaining which page numbers we're using and to confirm that we're aware of / using the errata. Other than the nice artwork and not having to refer to the separate errata sheet, it's the same edition.

Whether the average customer sees it as a New Edition or a New Revision is less important than the fact that 2009 saw a new rulebook, and that makes 2010, 2011, or even 2012 too soon for another.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post May 13 2010, 07:05 AM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 13 2010, 12:35 AM) *
I find Daegann's very user-hostile, actually. Additional competition in this area can only help.

What do you mean "user-hostile"? In what way?

+Quote Post
knasser
post May 13 2010, 12:42 PM
Post #17

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (MJBurrage @ May 13 2010, 07:22 AM) *
Whether the average customer sees it as a New Edition or a New Revision is less important than the fact that 2009 saw a new rulebook, and that makes 2010, 2011, or even 2012 too soon for another.

I disagree. Would most people (i.e. outside heavy Dumpshockers like myself) go and buy a new print of the book just because it was a new print? They might for the reasons of SR4A's lovely artwork and incorporation of the errata but not because it was an upgrade in terms of edition. For that, you just download the errata sheet and print the few pages out. I mean I bought two copies of SR4A just because, but I doubt I'm typical. SR4A wasn't a new edition in any meaningful sense. It was a kind of celebratory collectors edition.

K.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 13 2010, 01:35 PM
Post #18

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

The interface is simply clunky, and breaks a lot of UI conventions. Many tasks require more clicks than they should. No context menus. These kinds of things. Don't let me distract the thread about this, sorry. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
otakusensei
post May 13 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,514

QUOTE (knasser @ May 13 2010, 07:42 AM) *
I disagree. Would most people (i.e. outside heavy Dumpshockers like myself) go and buy a new print of the book just because it was a new print? They might for the reasons of SR4A's lovely artwork and incorporation of the errata but not because it was an upgrade in terms of edition. For that, you just download the errata sheet and print the few pages out. I mean I bought two copies of SR4A just because, but I doubt I'm typical. SR4A wasn't a new edition in any meaningful sense. It was a kind of celebratory collectors edition.

K.

I've heard SR4A referred to as SR4.5 in some circles. I would buy reprints of the core books if they were given the SR4A treatment. For IMR or a new licensee that's money in the bank, all the benefit of a fifth edition cash flow with less of an outlay of effort. It's one of the reasons I was disappointed with the reprint of RC, I'd rather they started revamping the core books.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post May 13 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #20

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (otakusensei @ May 13 2010, 02:44 PM) *
I would buy reprints of the core books if they were given the SR4A treatment.

There was an anecdote concerning of "enhanced core books" – though given the current state of things…

+Quote Post
Sengir
post May 13 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Caadium @ May 13 2010, 05:02 AM) *
Does this have any effect on the the similar apps and excel files that are in discussion on the "Community Projects" section of this page? In other words, will this limit their ability to continue doing what they've done?

My first thought as well...

So far, the fan-made character generators basically are an addition to the game and since the they are useless without the actual books it didn't hurt to tolerate them. The news means that the fan-made chargens now are a direct competition to a paid program...

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post May 13 2010, 02:51 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

It's my understanding this has been in the works for a very long time. IIRC Lone Wolf was flying an SR flag at there Gen Con booth several years ago. I've had the opportunity to mess around with Hero Lab for Savage Worlds and Mutants & Masterminds. Been happy with the software and the team behind it seems to be on the ball as far as updating and inclusion of all the stuff players want.

+Quote Post
hermit
post May 13 2010, 03:12 PM
Post #23

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

I've heard SR4A referred to as SR4.5 in some circles.

Yeah, angry people do that a lot. Vampire PC don't really sparkle either, unless you add two SURGE qualities. Neither is Anniversary a new edition just because it incorporates Errata.

+Quote Post
otakusensei
post May 13 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,514

QUOTE (hermit @ May 13 2010, 10:12 AM) *
Yeah, angry people do that a lot. Vampire PC don't really sparkle either, unless you add two SURGE qualities. Neither is Anniversary a new edition just because it incorporates Errata.

I think it's a fair distinction. While not on the same level as D&D 3.5, it does make some serious changes that I would like to see carried through to the rest of the line going forward.

+Quote Post
Penta
post May 13 2010, 03:34 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

Getting off the debate back to the Hero Labs package: Jason, the presser says the package will cover the core game system, and then be expanded.

By Core: Does that mean SR4A, or SR4 original?

Also: Does core include books like Augmentation, Arsenal, etc? Or are those going to be covered by later releases?

Finally: When're we going to see reciprocal announcement on the Hero Labs website?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:20 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.