Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Astral Sight and You, Open your third eye
NetWraith
post May 13 2010, 05:31 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,568

So, i had an out with one of my players. He was saying that with astral sight he'd be able to see through astral forms. In fact the astral form of the earth. I've spent most of the week searching the forum for the answer but have failed, so I'm turning to dumpshock to correct either my player or myself.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tomothy
post May 13 2010, 05:45 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,558

Fairly sure the earth appears solid. But even if it didn't what would you see if you could look through the earth? Everything on the other side is too far away to see properly anyway.

+Quote Post
NetWraith
post May 13 2010, 05:53 AM
Post #3

Target

That was my argument, but it was an area roughly three stories underground.

+Quote Post
Dahrken
post May 13 2010, 06:17 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,693

Earth astral form is solid and lightly luminous. Explain him that searching for an underground facility this way would be like trying to see something through ten meters of faintly glowing and severely murky water.

Also Earth's aura is somewhat solid, you cannot astrally project and zip through in search of the facility, you have to press through (like an astral barrier) with an extended roll of (meters) difficulty and 30 minute base time ! If you're interrupted, you're stuck and need to roll again to go back, with the additionnal complication of possibly getting lost and runnig out of astral projection time - that means death.

+Quote Post
Drats
post May 13 2010, 06:47 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,374

What Dahrken said.

And if that doesn't work:Where does this guy gets the idea that he's able to see through astral forms in the first place? In cases like this, I find it best to make your ruling, explain the logic, and shift the burden of proof to the (crazy) player.

+Quote Post
DeathStrobe
post May 13 2010, 07:32 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,558

SR4a p192 says you take minus the Force of a barrier for tracking something behind a mana barrier, and seeing how the Earth counts as a pretty high force mana barrier there is going to be little to no way to see through it.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post May 13 2010, 01:15 PM
Post #7

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

The sun is slightly luminous, tell your player to go stare at it and tell you what's on the other side.

+Quote Post
NetWraith
post May 13 2010, 01:56 PM
Post #8

Target

Thanks for the answers this should defiantly help

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post May 13 2010, 02:16 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

QUOTE (DireRadiant @ May 13 2010, 02:15 PM) *
The sun is slightly luminous, tell your player to go stare at it and tell you what's on the other side.

Space.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post May 13 2010, 02:41 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (DireRadiant @ May 13 2010, 08:15 AM) *

Darkness.

(Blind people see dark, right?)

+Quote Post
tagz
post May 14 2010, 12:16 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,440

Seeing as you can very easily get lost while moving through the Earth on the astral (p114 Street Magic), I would say that you likely can't see very deeply into it, if at all. In fact, I think you can get lost pressing through as little as 1 meter.

Also, consider that in areas with streets, sewers, underground electrical conduit, basements would likely decrease the visibility as they would not be transparent.

So, to actually see this underground facility I would say that the mage would have to pass through a good amount of earth to get close enough. At the very least a few meters to get past all the man made objects. Just my thoughts.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:15 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.