> Pilot Program, one for each?
Nefacio
post May 26 2010, 01:14 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,717

Hello my dear community.

So I am back to SR4 again, but this time with an unexperience group (most of them playing for the first time), and having me GMing SR4 for the very first time. I have played quite a bit (never GM 4th ed), but not in the last year so something I will need to review em.

One of my group asked me this and I realize matrix stuff is "the" thing I will be needing to review more. When you buy a a Pilot software, you need one for each device? ya quite a newbie question, but it trigger my memory and nothing came out of it.

Hope someone can anwer it.

Thx
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 26 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Yes. At the very least, one for each class of device, but I think it's really each specific model. Yuck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
CeeJay
post May 26 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

From: Nowhere near you... unless you happen to be near Cologne.
Member No.: 16,776

Do you mean drone pilots?

Yes, drone pilots are indeed purpose-programmed for the specific vehicle they will be operating. Makes sense, imho, that you cannot use a dobermann pilot program to operate a vector-thrust drone...

-CJ

+Quote Post
Ghremdal
post May 26 2010, 03:29 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 17,900

I think the question is if you have 5 doberman drones, do you need 5 pilot (doberman) autosofts? I'm not sure, but I would say yes. Though I am a newbie as well. Can you crack/copy one pilot program and distribute it to other drones?

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post May 26 2010, 04:01 PM
Post #5

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,234

You can crack it and distribute it, by the rules you now have to keep your cracked software up to date but this is fairly trivial for most folks.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post May 26 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ May 26 2010, 11:01 AM) *
You can crack it and distribute it, by the rules you now have to keep your cracked software up to date but this is fairly trivial for most folks.

And this is only important if you're using the rules out of Unwired.

+Quote Post
Nefacio
post May 26 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 15,717

Ok ok, very valuable info and ya whole post making total sense. At least I know now it wasnt so obvious.

What about the other programs? like for instance the ones that are a bit more common (e.g. Firewall) As I understa, you just buy one and then crack and copy it for the rest of the devices.

Is this correct?

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post May 26 2010, 07:21 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 17,234

That would be one way to do it yes if you want better firewall ratings etc then what the device comes with by default. By either an errata or unwired I believe firewall is one of those things that cna only be upped 2 points from the standard rating.

Edit: On further thought I don't think my preceeding comment is accurate but rather because most devices have firewall equal to their system they are functionally linked if not directly.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post May 26 2010, 08:17 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Nefacio @ May 26 2010, 07:13 PM) *
What about the other programs? like for instance the ones that are a bit more common (e.g. Firewall) As I understa, you just buy one and then crack and copy it for the rest of the devices.

Is this correct?

Basically yes, each program is only good for one installation unless you crack it. However in case of Firewall it's easier to just slave yur devices to one node with a high Firewall stat, which will usually be the commlink of the team hacker/rigger.

When you buy a a Pilot software, you need one for each device

Not sure if this is what you meant, but all drones come with a Pilot program equal to their device rating (3 for most drones, 4 if the drone has a weapon mount or otherwise qualifies as "security vehicle", 5 if it's a military vehicle) off the shelf. However if you meant upgrades then yes, one program per drone.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:13 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.