> Car Chase involving Hackers and Riggers
IKerensky
post Jun 1 2010, 08:44 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,622

Hello,

the situation : a yakuza's car with 2 sam and 1 hacker on board (1 sam wounded) is pursued by the player's car wich is currently piloted by the Rigger who is in VR in the bar they just left. The Yak's Hacker is trying to enter the player's car node in order to shut it down.

The questions :

If the system detect the Yak try to hack car the Rigger react, warn the party Hacker ?
Did the rigger automatically detect the Yak entreance as he is in the node ?
If the Rigger warn the party Hacker of the yakusa attempt, can the party decker enter the vehicule node and try to engage the ennemy decker in cybercombat ? even if the yak isn't hacked in yet ? even if the decker wasn't given registered access to the vehicule node ?
As the Yakuza vehicule is manually driven, can it still be hacked as to engage autopilot/shut-down engine ? I suppose that require to track the car's node and be in range of it ?
Can the player's hacker track the yakusa hacker matrix signal back to his links then try to hack the yakusa car's node from there, even if the yakuza isn't connected to the car ?

I know thoses aren't easy questions so thanks in advance (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Jun 1 2010, 09:54 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

The enemy Hacker's intrusion attempt would need be spotted by the vehicle's firewall, assuming that the team's Rigger hasn't slaved the car to his comlink (which, is possible since otherwise, the vehicle would have to stay in signal range and would be more susceptible to jamming.) However, once the guy's inside, it's his stealth versus the Rigger's matrix perception. Once he knows the invader is there, he can engage him in cybercombat. Until then, the invader could attempt cybercombat, or just drop data bombs all over the place, nuke the node to shutdown or any other number of things.

As to what the rigger can do, he has full access to all the car's systems. He can use the sound system to talk to the other players from the matrix, easy.

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Jun 1 2010, 10:16 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

QUOTE (IKerensky @ Jun 1 2010, 09:44 AM) *
As the Yakuza vehicule is manually driven, can it still be hacked as to engage autopilot/shut-down engine ? I suppose that require to track the car's node and be in range of it ?

If a vehicle's node has been configured with the authority to override manual controls under specific conditions then this is perfectly doable. For example, I would expect it to be a very common (possibly legally-required) feature for the pilot to assume control of the vehicle in the event of the driver becoming incapacitated (I imagine it would assume the driver to be out of action if control of the steering wheel went slack for more than a couple of seconds, or something like that). Unless the vehicle's node has been configured to "never override the manual controls" then a hacker simply needs to convince the node that the criteria for overriding the manual controls have been met. I'd say it's up to you to decide whether the Yaks would have thought of this or not.

QUOTE (IKerensky @ Jun 1 2010, 09:44 AM) *
Can the player's hacker track the yakusa hacker matrix signal back to his links then try to hack the yakusa car's node from there, even if the yakuza isn't connected to the car ?

Nope. If the Yak doesn't have a subscription with his vehicle's node then a trace on him won't get you any 'closer' to it. Physical proximity doesn't help in this way. One could try to triangulate the Yak's physical location and then scan for hidden nodes in that area, but since triangulation is not very exact and the subject is in motion I would imagine this to be next to impossible to achieve.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 1 2010, 10:41 AM
Post #4

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

well one could hack the hackers node, and then use that as the springboard for any matrix perception tests for hidden nodes.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.