IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just how big is the Seattle shadow scene?, Any thoughts...?
Aria
post Jun 3 2010, 08:05 AM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,267

I'm pretty sure there's no direct canon that states how many runners (ish) there are in Seattle but I'm sure it says that there are more there than elsewhere because of its location etc...

There are 3 mil+ people according to Seattle 2072 (not sure if that takes in to account all the SINless) but I've always assumed the breakdown of runners is something like below:

Prime runners - 50-75 runners (this would vary as they probably have the most chances of crossing borders etc and taking work all over the world)

Competant Runners (400 to 450BPs or there abouts?) - 300-500 ish?

Wannabees - loads!

So all in all a fairly select crowd...

Does anyone else have a different take on this or could point me in the direction of where it's mentioned in the sourcebooks?

Cheers,

A
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Jun 3 2010, 08:32 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,300

This sounds very exaggerated. Just think, there is no more than 1250 LEOs today in seattle.. say we multiply that for Seattle Metroplex, and still only a few thousands. Now if you compare that to petty criminals, then sure they will be outnumbered, but they shouldn't be like 1 runner for ever 2 or 3 LEOs.

So my estime: Prime runners. A handful, maybe a dozen. As said the ones at this level could probably work anywhere in a fairly short time.

Competant runners (400BP+ with some experience): I'd be suprised if there was as many as 100 operating at any time. By operating I mean "on a run some time this month." Although not prime runners, these guys are elite compared to anyone else in society.

Wannabees... loads yeah, these are basically petty criminals, thugs, gangers etc. Basically urban mercenaries. Hundreds, if not thousands, but how many can make a living being Shadowrunners? I think most of these people are normal criminals by "day" and then tries to get recruited for Shadowruns once in awhile.

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Jun 3 2010, 09:43 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

I believe the actual number quoted in the books is "about 100" and that includes lowbies.

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Jun 3 2010, 11:02 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

In my games, the scene is small enough that nearly all runners that survived newbiehood (ie, reached 400BP) have heard of each other. So, a few hundred people, maximum.

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Jun 3 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 9,300

QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Jun 3 2010, 01:02 PM) *
In my games, the scene is small enough that nearly all runners that survived newbiehood (ie, reached 400BP) have heard of each other. So, a few hundred people, maximum.

How exactly have they heard of one another? When mr. johnsons hires a-team, does he tell b-team later about them?

Now that Johnsons and Fixers talk about runners is one thing, an a certain street cred could mean you known on the streets (among criminals). But keep in mind starting chars with 400 BPs and no karma has zero street cred. They might have a Notorious crawing for BTLs once a week though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

The whole idea about reputation in SR is kinda weird though... the business needs the customers (Johnsons and fixers) to know about the runners, but it also needs the runners to stay under the radar and keep their mission detail top secret. Which means not bragging about it to other criminals. In contrast the normal criminal world there is alot of talking and info going around, most people are citizens with backgrounds, and usually criminal records. There is very little secret about Jack selling Weed on the streets, unless a cop comes around to ask.

But anyway yeah it seems Shadowrunners are less common than honest politicians!

+Quote Post
Blade
post Jun 3 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Jun 3 2010, 01:38 PM) *
The whole idea about reputation in SR is kinda weird though... the business needs the customers (Johnsons and fixers) to know about the runners, but it also needs the runners to stay under the radar and keep their mission detail top secret. Which means not bragging about it to other criminals.

" I think your offer is a little low, Mr. Johnson. Do you know who you're dealing with?
- No
- That's because we're the best: we know how to stay under the radar."

+Quote Post
RedFish
post Jun 3 2010, 01:15 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,437

QUOTE (Blade @ Jun 3 2010, 01:27 PM) *
" I think your offer is a little low, Mr. Johnson. Do you know who you're dealing with?
- No
- That's because we're the best: we know how to stay under the radar."

That's what fixers are for, no?

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Jun 3 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #8

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,234

Aria's perceptions match my own. Is it realistic? Certainly not but this is hardly a game that ever chains itself to realism. Additionally Seattle sees more 'Runners then normal because of it's status as a corporate mecca amidst the wilderness.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:40 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.