Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Refreshing Edge
FenrisWolf
post Jun 3 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,753

How often do you guys refresh Edge in your games? I'm running SR4 for my group and they just went through their first run. It was a short run involving a B&E into a corp research facility and ended up being a smash and grab with lots of bullets. A couple of players were shot up but made it through ok. They lost contact with their Johnson and tracked him down to his brownstone only to find him dead and half eaten by his wife how recently changed into a ghoul. This wasn't expected and the group was split in two when they caught sight of her before she pounced on the two characters in the brownstone. Long story short, one character died (not my fault he rolled rolled a crap ton of dice with his last point of Edge to soak and didn't come up with a single success).

So ... I'm wondering how often you guys refresh Edge. I did not allow them to refresh Edge because they were only hours after fleeing the smash and grab before they tracked down the Johnson so there was little to no down time. Our game session was a ton of fun and was a nail biter to the very end. But the outcome could have been vastly different if I had allowed them to refresh Edge early.

On a side note, the player whose character died thought it was a deserving and fated outcome and handled it remarkably. Hell, he loves character gen and already had another character in mind anyways. I just wanted to get some input from you all before the next run kicks off.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Jun 3 2010, 03:01 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

In my games I let them recharge after at least two days of rest. So when they don't work, just enjoy themselves... go clubbing, just have a nonthreatenned time to enjoy themselves. Something like that.

Also I let them refresh edge when they have an unexpected success at something important. (Just one point)

+Quote Post
Krrayn
post Jun 3 2010, 03:13 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 16,876

We generally refresh edge between runs, or between game sessions. E.g. if there is downtime during a session, we'll refresh Edge. If we're in a particularly grueling run that takes several game sessions, the GM will let us refresh Edge between sessions.

My GM also awards "temporary edge" in some cases for clever remarks or roleplaying, use-it-or-lose it style, in place of awarding additional Karma. But he also sometimes awards a point of Karma for a really good in game idea or plan.

If I had been in your situation, I would have handled it the same way.

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Jun 3 2010, 03:13 PM
Post #4

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,234

I tend to be pretty free with edge refreshes usually refreshing at the start of the game session. Once in a while when an operation is stretching across multiple sessions I will restrict it more.

+Quote Post
FenrisWolf
post Jun 3 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 8,753

We game once a week with a revolving system/campaign. I run SR on my rotation and we usually only get four hours of actual gaming in during a typical session. Less during the summer with the great grilling weather <grins>. Under those circumstances, I'm leaning towards refreshing either between runs during some R&R or during a slow period in a longer running story arc. Thanks for the reassurances. Just wanted to make sure I didn't give the players a raw deal even though they didn't have a problem with it.

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Jun 3 2010, 04:06 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

I tend to think of edge as a character's transcendent nature, so I refresh based on how I think the character feels.
Sometimes, a char will get a string of successes in his chosen role and I'll decide he's in the zone. *Ping* Refresh one edge.
Or, he'll pull off some crazy awesome test and earn a bit of freshness there.

Basically, anything which brings about a feeling of clarity in life and purpose will call for a refresh of the meta dice.
Rest and relaxation definitely count.

...kinda jams up a Character when they've got bounty hunters after them though..

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Jun 3 2010, 05:39 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,454

That is a pretty good method. We have an Edge based face character (8 edge). He tends to plan nothing (after all nothing bad ever happens to him). I usually end up restoring a point of edge after a clever non-combat idea or a bit of deductive reasoning that furthers the plot. Sometimes good deductive reasoning that just happens to be wrong (but possible or even likely with the limited info the players have discovered) still gets a point refreshed, just to keep them guessing.

+Quote Post
tagz
post Jun 3 2010, 11:59 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,440

Refreshed every downtime, minus any they may have used in downtime. I let my players use edge in downtime to assist rolls, reduce extended task intervals, etc. But if they use it during downtime then they start with whatever they have left.

I grant back edge mostly for critical successes, crit glitches, awesome unexpected acts that result in a success, etc.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 4 2010, 03:43 AM
Post #9

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jun 3 2010, 09:13 AM) *
I tend to be pretty free with edge refreshes usually refreshing at the start of the game session. Once in a while when an operation is stretching across multiple sessions I will restrict it more.

We too refresh Edge at the beginning of each game session...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Drats
post Jun 4 2010, 04:05 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,374

QUOTE (tagz @ Jun 4 2010, 12:59 AM) *
Refreshed every downtime, minus any they may have used in downtime. I let my players use edge in downtime to assist rolls, reduce extended task intervals, etc. But if they use it during downtime then they start with whatever they have left.

I grant back edge mostly for critical successes, crit glitches, awesome unexpected acts that result in a success, etc.

This is how I tend to handle it, too.

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Jun 4 2010, 05:15 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

QUOTE (FenrisWolf @ Jun 3 2010, 03:50 PM) *
How often do you guys refresh Edge in your games? I'm running SR4 for my group and they just went through their first run. It was a short run involving a B&E into a corp research facility and ended up being a smash and grab with lots of bullets. A couple of players were shot up but made it through ok. They lost contact with their Johnson and tracked him down to his brownstone only to find him dead and half eaten by his wife how recently changed into a ghoul. This wasn't expected and the group was split in two when they caught sight of her before she pounced on the two characters in the brownstone. Long story short, one character died (not my fault he rolled rolled a crap ton of dice with his last point of Edge to soak and didn't come up with a single success).

So ... I'm wondering how often you guys refresh Edge. I did not allow them to refresh Edge because they were only hours after fleeing the smash and grab before they tracked down the Johnson so there was little to no down time. Our game session was a ton of fun and was a nail biter to the very end. But the outcome could have been vastly different if I had allowed them to refresh Edge early.

On a side note, the player whose character died thought it was a deserving and fated outcome and handled it remarkably. Hell, he loves character gen and already had another character in mind anyways. I just wanted to get some input from you all before the next run kicks off.

If a player does something ludicriously ballsy, causes the group to erupt into laughter, or do something that I want to award karma for but can't quite justify it to myself, I give them their edge back. Otherwise, usually at the end of a session.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:57 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.