IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Making the most out of Invoking/Binding, How to handle the drain?
Tyro
post Jun 11 2010, 04:47 AM
Post #26

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,558

QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Jun 10 2010, 05:38 PM) *
It seems like SR4A is forever tweaking things that never bothered me a whit. And yet the grenade rules...

Oh well.

Hear, hear!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dreadlord
post Jun 11 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #27

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,959

QUOTE (Tyro @ Jun 10 2010, 11:47 PM) *
Hear, hear!

Yeah, this is one that caught me by surprise, as I was convinced it was still around, and even told a new Shadowrun player he could do that. I then double-checked to give him a page reference, and to my surprise, it wasn't there!

I considered house-ruling it back, but to tell you the truth, my players never take drain damage, so making it a little tougher so that they MIGHT take a box or two when they cast too hard is not a bad thing. Maybe that is why they took it away in SR4/SR4A, was to make it a little painful given the new dice mechanic.

Giving up dice to reduce Area-of-Effect IS still there, though... Doesn't seem consistent. Still, it is a "meh!" from me either way.

Of course, back on topic, the loss of this option when Binding/Invoking/Banishing Bound Spirits makes it even MORE risky in 4th edition, as this is one of the few times when Drain becomes significantly high.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Jun 11 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #28

Shooting Target

Actually, my point was that I hate grenade rules :-/

+Quote Post
Banaticus
post Jun 11 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #29

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,574

QUOTE (dirkformica @ Jun 7 2010, 09:08 PM) *
If you are overcasting and afraid of instant-gibbing yourself due to drain, you might also want to use the Shapechange spell to take the form of something with more body. All those hits divided by 2 turn into extra damage boxes.

Or cast Shapechange multiple times, following this list, to get up to a Body of 12 (plus extra damage boxes from extra hits): http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...st&p=940920

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Jun 11 2010, 06:37 PM
Post #30

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Banaticus @ Jun 11 2010, 11:29 AM) *
Or cast Shapechange multiple times, following this list, to get up to a Body of 12 (plus extra damage boxes from extra hits): http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...st&p=940920

I would not allow this as GM, nor I think would many others.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 12 2010, 07:17 PM
Post #31

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Tyro @ Jun 11 2010, 11:37 AM) *
I would not allow this as GM, nor I think would many others.

Well, it is mechanically not very smart... for each spell, I would enforce that you would have to maintain it to keep the baseline body rating to qualify fo rhte next spell... so after 2 spells, you have lost 4 Dice, and then it is -6, -8, -10, etc. By the time that you have actually climbed that ladder, you have so many dice penalties that you are pretty ineffective. I mean really, -12 to any action (Sustaining 6 Spells) is just brutal. Good luck doing anything... You could, of course, sustain them with Foci, but that route leads to addiction...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Jun 12 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #32

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 12 2010, 12:17 PM) *
Well, it is mechanically not very smart... for each spell, I would enforce that you would have to maintain it to keep the baseline body rating to qualify fo rhte next spell... so after 2 spells, you have lost 4 Dice, and then it is -6, -8, -10, etc. By the time that you have actually climbed that ladder, you have so many dice penalties that you are pretty ineffective. I mean really, -12 to any action (Sustaining 6 Spells) is just brutal. Good luck doing anything... You could, of course, sustain them with Foci, but that route leads to addiction...

Keep the Faith

You could also have spirits sustain them.

+Quote Post
Trevalier
post Jun 13 2010, 02:17 AM
Post #33

Target

Member No.: 18,116

QUOTE (Tyro @ Jun 12 2010, 05:27 PM) *

With a possession tradition and the Channeling metamagic, you could channel one of the spirits to increase your Body stat. Depending on the force of the spirit, it might be nearly as effective as a whole chain of shapechanges.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 13 2010, 02:21 AM
Post #34

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Tyro @ Jun 12 2010, 03:27 PM) *

Indeed, forgot about that one...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Sheala
post Jun 13 2010, 04:31 PM
Post #35

Target

Member No.: 17,868

QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jun 7 2010, 06:43 AM) *
Summoning/Binding are also unspecced; the spirits available to me are Guardian/Air/Man/Guidance/Task, and the tradition is Materialisation based, with Wil+Cha as Drain attributes. What specialization do you guys recommend?

Just wanted to ask what tradition you have, It looks nice for my next PC elven summoner... or is it a custom tradition ?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 13 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #36

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Sheala @ Jun 13 2010, 10:31 AM) *
Just wanted to ask what tradition you have, It looks nice for my next PC elven summoner... or is it a custom tradition ?

Looks Custom to me... what with the 4 most favorable spirits out there...
It appears to be a variation of Voodoo, but with Water replaced by Air, and the Spirits are Materialization rather than Possession.

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Jun 13 2010, 05:13 PM
Post #37

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,018

QUOTE (Sheala @ Jun 13 2010, 04:31 PM) *

It's a custom tradition based on Greek mythology, where every spirit represents one of the Greek gods:
Zeus=Air
Athena=Guidance
Hephaestos=Task
Ares=Guardian
Hades=Man

Of course, you could switch some of them, e.g. Poseidon=Water, but it's a shame you're limited to 5 spirits per tradition. With the Greek gods known for their capricious nature, Charisma seemed like the proper Drain attribute. My mage, who happens to be an elf girl, has an Ally spirit named "Hercules", who combines some of the gods' traits.

Or, if you go toxic, I suppose you could call him "Kratos" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 13 2010, 05:16 PM
Post #38

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jun 13 2010, 11:13 AM) *
It's a custom tradition based on Greek mythology, where every spirit represents one of the Greek gods:
Zeus=Air
Athena=Guidance
Hephaestos=Task
Ares=Guardian
Hades=Man

Of course, you could switch some of them, e.g. Poseidon=Water, but it's a shame you're limited to 5 spirits per tradition. With the Greek gods known for their capricious nature, Charisma seemed like the proper Drain attribute. My mage, who happens to be an elf girl, has an Ally spirit named "Hercules", who combines some of the gods' traits.

Or, if you go toxic, I suppose you could call him "Kratos" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

Do you have any Flavor/Fluff text describing the Tradition at Large?

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Jun 13 2010, 06:07 PM
Post #39

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,018

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 13 2010, 05:16 PM) *
Do you have any Flavor/Fluff text describing the Tradition at Large?

Keep the Faith

Yeah, I've got a general description that we use in our group. Note that the original was written in German, and I've translated it on the fly:
The Greek Tradition
Concept: With the rise of magic in the 6th world, the belief in the Greek pantheon has experienced a revival. Greek magicians typically worship the pantheon of the twelve Olympians, though the worship of lesser demigods and heroes is not unheard of.
Combat: Guardian
Detection: Guidance
Health: Air
Illusion: Man
Manipulation: Task
Drain: Willpower+Charisma
Modern Greek religion is based upon the worship of the twelve Olympians though rites and ceremony. The traditional pantheon consists of Zeus (King of Gods), Hera (Queen of Gods), Poseidon (God of the seas), Demeter (Goddess of fertility), Hades (God of the Underworld), Hestia (Goddess of Home and Hearth), Aphrodite (Goddess of love), Apollo (God of art), Ares (God of War), Artemis (Goddess of the Hunt), Athena (Goddess of Wisdom), Dyonisus (God of Wine), Hephaestus (God of craftsmanship) and Hermes (Messenger of the Gods). They typically reside on Mt Olympus, with the notable exception of Hades.
Unlike other faiths, the Greek gods are not infallible; in fact, some were rather infamous for their vices and debauchery. The results were demigods, and some Greek revivalists believe that their powers are derived from such divine intervention. Others view it as fate’s will, for even the gods themselves cannot defy fate. All agree, however, that the gods are capricious, and to earn their favor, one must tread carefully.
Some see themselves as oracles, interpreting fate's will, while others call upon the denizens of Elysium and Tartarus to assist them.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Jun 13 2010, 06:44 PM
Post #40

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

QUOTE (Tyro @ Jun 10 2010, 06:34 PM) *
The ability to withhold focus dice for drain was removed in SR4A.

No, it was removed in the fourth printing. The Anniversary is the sixth printing.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 13 2010, 11:09 PM
Post #41

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jun 13 2010, 11:07 AM) *
Yeah, I've got a general description that we use in our group. Note that the original was written in German, and I've translated it on the fly:
The Greek Tradition
Concept: With the rise of magic in the 6th world, the belief in the Greek pantheon has experienced a revival. Greek magicians typically worship the pantheon of the twelve Olympians, though the worship of lesser demigods and heroes is not unheard of.
Combat: Guardian
Detection: Guidance
Health: Air
Illusion: Man
Manipulation: Task
Drain: Willpower+Charisma
Modern Greek religion is based upon the worship of the twelve Olympians though rites and ceremony. The traditional pantheon consists of Zeus (King of Gods), Hera (Queen of Gods), Poseidon (God of the seas), Demeter (Goddess of fertility), Hades (God of the Underworld), Hestia (Goddess of Home and Hearth), Aphrodite (Goddess of love), Apollo (God of art), Ares (God of War), Artemis (Goddess of the Hunt), Athena (Goddess of Wisdom), Dyonisus (God of Wine), Hephaestus (God of craftsmanship) and Hermes (Messenger of the Gods). They typically reside on Mt Olympus, with the notable exception of Hades.
Unlike other faiths, the Greek gods are not infallible; in fact, some were rather infamous for their vices and debauchery. The results were demigods, and some Greek revivalists believe that their powers are derived from such divine intervention. Others view it as fate’s will, for even the gods themselves cannot defy fate. All agree, however, that the gods are capricious, and to earn their favor, one must tread carefully.
Some see themselves as oracles, interpreting fate's will, while others call upon the denizens of Elysium and Tartarus to assist them.

Interesting... I like it...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Jun 14 2010, 12:05 AM
Post #42

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Jun 13 2010, 11:44 AM) *
No, it was removed in the fourth printing. The Anniversary is the sixth printing.

My bad, sorry.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:48 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.