Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sports in 2072, Urban Brawl especially
Ghremdal
post Jun 15 2010, 11:28 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,900

With the current football world cup going on, I want a few sessions focusing on sports related runs. The problem is that in all the materials I read there is not much mention of sports of any sort, especially not Urban Brawl.

So if anyone can enlighten me on the topic: What is the state of sports in 2072? and What is Urban Brawl?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JM Hardy
post Jun 15 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,392

Urban Brawl: Two teams, thirteen players apiece, 12 square blocks of urban landscape, two goals, and a bunch of hidden weapons. Good fun!

Jason H.

+Quote Post
Ghremdal
post Jun 15 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 17,900

Is there more? Do they use live ammo, or paintball esque stuff? Is there a world cup? Are there corporate teams? Does Lofwyr eat players when SK Dragons lose the finals?

Will such info be in Attitude?

P.S. Can the Desert Wars be considered a type of "sport"?

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jun 15 2010, 11:58 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

Shadowbeat had a very complete description, alas I don't keep my copy at the office.

Tha basics are as described above, players where heavy armor and Ibelive only stun ammo types are allowed though this doesn't prevent fatalities entirely. The object is to move a ball through the brawl zone. Pnealties are handed out for things like Arson. Teams are sponsored (though who sponsors what is up to you, and there was a Shadowtalk rumor about Lonestar running a prison league with more lethal weaponry for massive profits)

I'll try to look it up and fill in more detail whebn I'm home

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Jun 16 2010, 12:05 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

I still want to see a Death Games net only pdf release. That would be a hot topic to hit.

Also, 30 rides needs to drop soon. :-/

+Quote Post
tagz
post Jun 16 2010, 12:10 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,440

I don't know about actual in story sports, but at my table we made "Dwarf Tossing" into a sport.

It's a big deal. Dwarf and troll pairings, though there have been orks and a few other strong meta-types. The one doing the throwing is called the Tosser, the dwarf is just called "The Dwarf" if not being called by name.

Tosser throws the dwarf partner in three different categories: Distance, Speed, and Technique.

The sport is noted by outlandish costumes and AR icongraphy, and silly wrestler like names. Such as reigning champions "Thunder and Lightning" (obviously their costumes are covered with lightning bolts to signify speed, etc). In fact, before and after there are great deals of smack talking and overblown drama, much like today's professional wrestling.

Strict on the use of only mundane tossers and dwarfs. No magic allowed, no adepts, no surge, no augmentations that directly enhance anything considered to have a direct influence on the outcome of a throw.

Every Dwarf Tossing event to date has been marked with protests outside the stadium, mostly comprised of dwarfs. There have been a few incidents of attacks on the dwarf participants by protesters, calling them "a shame to the race", but those incidents are rare.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

I plan to do a run with this sometime. Maybe someone wants a player killed or something. Oh, and one of our team-members also attends the protests, but he's protesting that surges can't participate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif)

+Quote Post
Wandering One
post Jun 16 2010, 12:39 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,276

"Spirit Wars" is a pit fight between two spirits that's vid'd and live audienced, and is currently enjoying growing popularity and increased betting, at my table. The players, however, read this board and don't know why yet, so I'll leave it there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Jun 16 2010, 04:37 AM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Jun 15 2010, 04:47 PM) *
Urban Brawl: Two teams, thirteen players apiece, 12 square blocks of urban landscape, two goals, and a bunch of hidden weapons. Good fun!

Jason H.

Hidden?

I'll have to dig out my copy of Shadowbeat but I'm pretty sure there were some pretty specific rules regarding equipment.

+Quote Post
Drace
post Jun 16 2010, 04:53 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,936

Theres also a combat biking sport. Cant remember the name for the life of me of the sport, unless it is combat biking or something like that. It is mentioned in alot of the original novels (nearly all of them I can remember that arent uber-meta plot epics mention it in passing) with alot of it mentioned in the Wolf and Raven anthology, same with baseball too I think.

Other than that, they have traditional mexican hand ball in Aztlan, and other sports are played with cyber and awakened leagues for most of them. Dont expect a quote or a book name, since I cant remember it for the life of me.

+Quote Post
Raven the Tricks...
post Jun 16 2010, 04:57 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,569

Just going by what I remember of the fiction off the top of my head it is just Combat Biking, no fancy name required.

+Quote Post
ColdEquation
post Jun 16 2010, 05:51 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 17,419

QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Jun 15 2010, 04:47 PM) *

Jason H.

You forgot 20,000 rounds of armor-piercing ammo!

Urban brawl (dredging from memory here) started in Europe after the wars. Street gangs, having limited resources, mutually agreed to settle their disputes in controlled fights with some rugby-style rules for carrying balls and scoring goals. Some corporations began filming the games for a reality show, and found that people really got a kick out of watching the gangers fight. Soon, sponsorships were handed out, teams were formed, and "City Combat Sport" was born. In the UCAS, the sport caught on, but the name "Urban Brawl" was used to excite the American audience.

The game is simple- A zone is laid out, usually in an abandoned or barrens part of a city. It is three city blocks wide by four long- since a block is differently sized in each city, this means the zone can be bigger or smaller geographically depending on place. At the beginning of the game, each team of 13 players chooses a block to put their goal in. Each team has a ball, and must get it to the opposing team's goal. Thus, the strategy of the game is in deciding how much of the team to commit to offense and defense. Each goal is worth 1 point, whoever has the most goals at the end of the game (two halves of 1 hour each, I think) is the winner. If an entire team is disabled in one play, they automatically forfeit.

All the weapons and ammo used in pro games are live. Players are allowed to use whatever cyberware they can manage to jam into themselves. Each "position" is allowed only certain weapons. There's one medic and one outrider on a motorcycle for each team. Magicians aren't allowed. While the body counts are remarkably high, the game is legal in almost all countries because they are not intentional duels to the death. The object is to score goals, not to kill opponents- it says so in the rules. Only Tsmishian has completely banned the game in North America, and it is popular in Aztlan, but overshadowed by tclatchi- which somehow manages to be even more violent.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Jun 16 2010, 07:04 AM
Post #12

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

I don't know if this is canon as well, but in one of Markus Heitz's German novels, I think it was "Schattenjäger", Tattooo, a german Urban Brawl participant (are they called players, fighters or what?), muses that the Americans are wimps since they only use Stun ammo instead of regular. BTW in German the game is called Stadtkrieg (City War).

Personally I found a game much more believable with Stun Ammo.

+Quote Post
Tzeentch
post Jun 16 2010, 08:15 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 459

-- I imagine Hurling is still a big sport in Tir Tairngire (basically, a more violent lacrosse).

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Jun 16 2010, 03:37 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Jun 16 2010, 09:04 AM) *
I don't know if this is canon as well, but in one of Markus Heitz's German novels, I think it was "Schattenjäger", Tattooo, a german Urban Brawl participant (are they called players, fighters or what?), muses that the Americans are wimps since they only use Stun ammo instead of regular.

Novels ain't sourcebooks, novels ain't...
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Jun 16 2010, 09:04 AM) *
Personally I found a game much more believable with Stun Ammo.

There is in fact an indoor variant of UB called "Arena Brawl" where non-lethal weapons are used and the field is much smaller, naturally.
AB has much lower ratings than UB...

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Jun 16 2010, 03:41 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Raven the Trickster @ Jun 16 2010, 06:57 AM) *
Just going by what I remember of the fiction off the top of my head it is just Combat Biking, no fancy name required.

And it is basically Capture-the-Flag with armed and armored motorcycles (each team's flag-guardian is on foot), played in an arena styled as a maze of ramps.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jun 16 2010, 03:44 PM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

QUOTE (MYST1C @ Jun 16 2010, 04:41 PM) *
And it is basically Capture-the-Flag with armed and armored motorcycles (each team's flag-guardian is on foot), played in an arena styled as a maze of ramps.

Rollerball with motorcycles.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Jun 16 2010, 04:21 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

I never said novels were canon. It was just what I remember from that novel and said this may be in line with canon

To me Combat Biking sounds a lot cooler than Urban Brawl. I wonder, if you could do something similar with paintball IRL?

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jun 16 2010, 04:36 PM
Post #18

Runner

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Jun 16 2010, 04:21 PM) *
I never said novels were canon. It was just what I remember from that novel and said this may be in line with canon

To me Combat Biking sounds a lot cooler than Urban Brawl. I wonder, if you could do something similar with paintball IRL?

You'd be better off recreating Urban Brawl with paintball than Combat Biking. Wiping out on a bike hurts, and I'd rather not try to juggle a paintball gun in my offhand.

Now if you did 50cc bikes, or Vespas....Hmmmm.

+Quote Post
JM Hardy
post Jun 16 2010, 04:40 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,392

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 16 2010, 11:36 AM) *
You'd be better off recreating Urban Brawl with paintball than Combat Biking. Wiping out on a bike hurts, and I'd rather not try to juggle a paintball gun in my offhand.

Now if you did 50cc bikes, or Vespas....Hmmmm.

Idea for GenCon event: 20 Shadowrun players. 20 Vespas. Combat Biking in the halls/rooms of the Indianapolis Convention Center. It would be the event of the century--at least in terms of liability insurance issues.

Jason H.

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Jun 16 2010, 04:46 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,454

QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Jun 16 2010, 11:40 AM) *
Idea for GenCon event: 20 Shadowrun players. 20 Vespas. Combat Biking in the halls/rooms of the Indianapolis Convention Center. It would be the event of the century--at least in terms of liability insurance issues.

Jason H.

Jousting on Segways.....

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jun 16 2010, 04:47 PM
Post #21

Runner

QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Jun 16 2010, 04:40 PM) *

Jason H.

I think just about every SR event at GenCon is going to involve this somehow.

I am so on board.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Jun 16 2010, 05:29 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Jun 16 2010, 01:46 PM) *
Jousting on Segways.....

Theme song provided by Weird Al Yankovic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Combat Mage
post Jun 16 2010, 06:42 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,604

The following information I translated from a german shadowrun wiki, so I don't know how much of it is canon:

Urban Brawl teams consist of 13 players in different roles. Melee weapons have no restriction (except no electricity weapons and no monofilament), but firearms depend on team role:

4 Scouts - light armor, pistols only
4 Bangers - medium armor, pistols only
2 Heavies - medium armor, shotgun or assault rifle or submachine gun / machine pistol
1 Blaster - light armor, machine gun with gyro-stabilization
1 Outrider - on a bike, not allowed to carry the ball, medium armor, shotgun or assault rifle or submachine gun / machine pistol
1 Medic - not allowed to carry the ball, heavy armor, first-aid kit, unarmed, may not be shot at

I also read that magic was forbidden in Urban Brawl till '64, but is allowed now. It's still restricted, no illusions, no manipulation spells, no foci.

The wiki contradicts the information froms Markus Heitz's book. It says that the German Allied States used gel rounds for a while but went back to lethal ammo since the UCAS used lethal rounds too.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jun 16 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #24

Runner

So what you're saying is that we need to (re)create the rules for Urban Brawl.

+Quote Post
AStarshipforAnts
post Jun 16 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,624

I'm personally wondering how the Olympics are treated. Do the corps get their own teams? And are Combat Biking and Urban Brawl considered Olympic sports?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:24 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.