IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun jobs in the Real World, Resource Adjusters anyone?
toturi
post Feb 25 2004, 12:54 PM
Post #1

Canon Companion

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,187

I just went for an interview for a job for an engineer for an insurance company.

The guy in charge asked me,"OK, so what do you know about resource adjusting?"

I did a double take and nearly answered,"Only what I know from my Johnson." But thankfully I didn't.

Does anyone have similar experiences in real life?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hot Wheels
post Feb 25 2004, 01:47 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,470

Well since I snuggle up regularly with a policeman I get to hear all the neat stuff he finds

+Quote Post
Siege
post Feb 25 2004, 02:17 PM
Post #3

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Not personally, but I do keep making notes about day jobs runners could have without conflicting with an active nightlife. :grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post
Nath
post Feb 25 2004, 03:00 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

I was browsing the US Embassy in France for a completely different matter, I found
Job Opportunity - Security Investigator
(Significant extracts)
- Conducts sensitive personnel, threat and criminal investigations as assigned by the Chief Security Investigator;
- Coordinates protective security arrangements for U.S. dignitaries visiting France.
[...]
- Skills and Abilities: Must possess a driver’s license and have basic computer skills. Demonstrate good interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively with others to obtain their cooperation

Not sure I understood this correctly :D

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Feb 25 2004, 03:29 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

Closest thing I can think of is a friend of a friend of mine who used to run a very popular hacker-type website. It was basically a search engine, some basic Hacking 101 type texts, and a few personal political rants all marketed to the poser hacker population. Dude pulled down a six figure salary from that website and he didn't have to lift a damn finger, just from banner ad revenue. Work an hour a week and make $3000 or so a week. Now he rents out the domain name for $15,000 a month.

There's also "freelance security experts", mostly in the computer areas but some also do physical security. Basically, they test the security of a company's computer system (the others test computer and physical security) by breaking in, then they give the company notes on how they can improve their security. The film SNEAKERS with Robert Redford is a movie-world example of this type of firm. Generally, the physical security type are former law enforcement types, and the computer security types are former hackers, some of which have convictions for hacking crimes. A few big-name hacker groups have gone legit doing this sort of work.

It's weird though. You do this kind of work and charge for it, and you're a valuable asset to the corporate world. You do it and don't charge, you're a menace who must be stopped. I don't know if any of you remember a group called CDC (Cult of the Dead Cow) and their program Back Oriface offered free on the net. It was a remote-access tool that allowed you to perform commands, install programs, change settings, etc. over the internet or another network so that you didn't need to be physically at the terminal. Many companies attempted to do everything but directly sue the company for making a "hacker exploit tool". Less than six months after Back Oriface came out (offered as freeware), Microsoft came out with a fancy boxed program for $300 that did the same exact damn thing. Now it's an intrigal part of the Windows XP operating system. Fun, ne?

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
Siege
post Feb 25 2004, 06:11 PM
Post #6

Dragon

QUOTE (Nath)
I was browsing the US Embassy in France for a completely different matter, I found
Job Opportunity - Security Investigator
(Significant extracts)
- Conducts sensitive personnel, threat and criminal investigations as assigned by the Chief Security Investigator;
- Coordinates protective security arrangements for U.S. dignitaries visiting France.
[...]
- Skills and Abilities: Must possess a driver’s license and have basic computer skills. Demonstrate good interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively with others to obtain their cooperation

Not sure I understood this correctly :D

Rough translation: "Lie like a bastard to get a girl to sleep with you."

-Siege

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 25 2004, 06:11 PM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (toturi)
I just went for an interview for a job for an engineer for an insurance company.

The guy in charge asked me,"OK, so what do you know about resource adjusting?"

I did a double take and nearly answered,"Only what I know from my Johnson." But thankfully I didn't.

Does anyone have similar experiences in real life?

You should've. You so should have. Or answered "well, I'm a pretty good shot with a Predator..."

~J

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Feb 25 2004, 09:21 PM
Post #8

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

One of my software engineering professors used to work for an arms developement company. Oh so many shadowrun inspiring stories. He once said corporate espionnage is very prevalent, and he heard of one case where a guy used special shoes to walk around during a tour, and trace pieces of metals would stick to the shoes. The other company would then analyse the metals from the shoes, and that would give them knowledge of what was being done.

+Quote Post
k1tsune
post Feb 25 2004, 10:06 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,740

I know a Shadowrun player who's actual job was "freelance corporate security."

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Feb 26 2004, 02:36 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

I don't doubt for a second this stuff goes on. I know of someone personally (not a friend of a friend. I know the chap, although I concede he could be lying) who was paid by one company to hack another and get a particular chemical formula from them. That job is what paid to get him through college and get his IT degree so he could go get legit work.

And never mind all the 'tragic accidents' which happen on a regular basis to high profile people (no, I'm not saying they're all hits, I'm just saying the frequency is a little higher than you'd expect), the regular corporate espionage going on in plain view and dressed up as conferences, shows, or 'gaining new understandings with our competitors' and (I'll probably get flak for this) the whole US government/corporate sponsorship thang. You guys have a legitimised system of bribes to make government work for heaven's sake, and when you think about the sums of money involved its not a short step to active sabotage, public relations deviousness and so on...

never mind the various political parties (not just talking about US now) who employ 'opposition strategy analysts' during elections - their job is purely to dig up sleaze and find ways to rubbish opponents' campaigns for crying out loud! If that's not shadow work I don't know what is because you can bet your shiny new Predator III that they don't use legit means in order to get that data.

Yeah, this stuff goes on. Lets all just be glad that mainly it doesn't happen to us. The scary thing is how much of it is completely legitimised and accepted as standard 'dirty tricks', even though much of it must be horribly illegal. Its the fact that nothing can be proved or traced back to the offenders that makes it shadow activity, even if its a corp using its own personnel and resources to do it. When you define it like that, you can see that shadowrun teams and roles already exist - they just aren't independents as often as they are in SR!

+Quote Post
Nath
post Feb 26 2004, 03:24 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

QUOTE (spotlite)
And never mind all the 'tragic accidents' which happen on a regular basis to high profile people (no, I'm not saying they're all hits, I'm just saying the frequency is a little higher than you'd expect)

Remind me, of a French businessman who was for one, the main shareholder of a publisher (Hachette) in which Saddam owned 8% (frozen since 1991), for two, a major shareholder of a company (Matra, now EADS) who produced missiles sold to Iraq. He died from a viral infection caught during hip surgery in March 2003 in the middle of the run-up to war.

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post Feb 26 2004, 06:26 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,491

QUOTE (Nath)
QUOTE (spotlite @ Feb 26 2004, 03:36 PM)
And never mind all the 'tragic accidents' which happen on a regular basis to high profile people (no, I'm not saying they're all hits, I'm just saying the frequency is a little higher than you'd expect)

Remind me, of a French businessman who was for one, the main shareholder of a publisher (Hachette) in which Saddam owned 8% (frozen since 1991), for two, a major shareholder of a company (Matra, now EADS) who produced missiles sold to Iraq. He died from a viral infection caught during hip surgery in March 2003 in the middle of the run-up to war.

Some Special Ops Teams actually have "bent" medics who often prevent life-saving treatment. Rumour has it that a "bent" medic was responsible for Princess Diana's death.

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Feb 26 2004, 07:56 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

Defense witness in Martha case dies

I'm not saying anything else ;)

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Feb 26 2004, 07:59 PM
Post #14

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Too bad freckles cannot show puncture wounds...

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post Feb 26 2004, 09:10 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,491

I rest my case.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Feb 26 2004, 09:15 PM
Post #16

Dragon

It's hardly a phenomenon limited to the US -- although the line tends to blur between corporate espionage and good, old-fashioned spying.

In a world driven by "competitive advantage", corporate espionage and similar "dirty tricks" are just another tool of the trade.

-Siege

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Feb 27 2004, 12:02 AM
Post #17

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

If you want government/corporate connections, have a look at France. AFAIK, the government is actually a shareholder in several large defence corporations and a myriad others. Leads to a lot of cross-over from what I've heard.

+Quote Post
Nath
post Feb 27 2004, 01:26 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Feb 27 2004, 01:02 AM)
If you want government/corporate connections, have a look at France. AFAIK, the government is actually a shareholder in several large defence corporations and a myriad others. Leads to a lot of cross-over from what I've heard.

I've read some official report about it. Companies controlled by the French state employs 5 to 6% of the French workers, or 1.5 millions (only counting in France). As a corporate holding, all those companies made in 2003 sales of €220 billions (second only to Wal-Mart, who made $245 billions) and paid the state €900 millions of dividends. Profits dropped from €10 billions the previous year to -18 billions because of France Telecom debts. Total value is € 150 billions, with 40 billions valued by stock market quotations. In the last twenty years, it sold about €65 billions of shares it had (including state oil company Elf now merged with Total).
It still owns 100% of EDF (electricity), SNCF (railways), DCN (military shipbuilding), the Public television (second network by audience), the Poste (postal service), 99.9% of GIAT (ground armament), 97% of Snecma (aerospace/motors ; 40% to be sold this year) 85% of Areva (nuclear energy), 57% of Arianespace (to be sold to EADS IIRC), 55% of France Telecom, 54% of Air France (will be reduced by the Air France-KLM merger), 33% of Thales, 15% of Renault and EADS, 11% of Credit Lyonnais, that's for the big things.

Some economist one day described France as the only communist economy who succeded. Here, we would probably rather speak of a megacorp (it doesn't even need extraterritoriality :D )

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Feb 27 2004, 01:44 PM
Post #19

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I work in Information Systems Security for Uncle Sam. I imagine if I used my work experience for a run, it would go something like this:

"Okay, you go through the metal detector, it goes off. The guard waves his wand over your metal belt buckle and lets you pass, totally missing the gun stashed in the small of your back. You need to get access to the network. Okay, you call a random number, say you're from ITD and need their password... Alright, you got it. Now you need to find a terminal. Oh, the receptionist left the terminal on, unlocked and you can hear her chatting it up with a friend two cubicles over..."

Makes me want to cry : (

+Quote Post
Siege
post Feb 27 2004, 05:29 PM
Post #20

Dragon

QUOTE (nezumi)
I work in Information Systems Security for Uncle Sam. I imagine if I used my work experience for a run, it would go something like this:

"Okay, you go through the metal detector, it goes off. The guard waves his wand over your metal belt buckle and lets you pass, totally missing the gun stashed in the small of your back. You need to get access to the network. Okay, you call a random number, say you're from ITD and need their password... Alright, you got it. Now you need to find a terminal. Oh, the receptionist left the terminal on, unlocked and you can hear her chatting it up with a friend two cubicles over..."

Makes me want to cry : (

Dude, stop that.

I want to hide in my illusions that stupidity like that doesn't happen.

"He paid cash and he only wants to learn how to take off. How the #&^#*%(! does this not raise alarm bells?"

Sorry, rant.

-Siege

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Feb 27 2004, 07:19 PM
Post #21

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Don't worry too much... I they don't check me really well because every single day my boots make the alarm go off, and I have the Friendly Face edge. Plus, there isn't a single classified document in the building.

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Feb 27 2004, 09:18 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

That martha stewart link? Its dead. Co-incidence...? :D

Yeah, I expect so, I haven't even googled for it...

+Quote Post
Siege
post Feb 27 2004, 09:20 PM
Post #23

Dragon

QUOTE (nezumi)
Don't worry too much... I they don't check me really well because every single day my boots make the alarm go off, and I have the Friendly Face edge. Plus, there isn't a single classified document in the building.

Truthfully, it's the principle of the thing.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Enigma
post Mar 12 2004, 02:01 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,812

I work in criminal law, and whilst I get the 98 percent of idiot drug addicts and general low-intelligence criminals, I do occasionally run into an interesting matter.

One example was a professional break and enter guy, who got caught by sheer blind luck (he breaks into a private school and gets caught by the janitor coming to the school to go to a single classroom and walking into the specific room he's hiding in because a teacher made the janitor come in and feet the fish in the fish tank on a weekend). He co-operated fully with police, including a whole lot of fascinating details about how he breaks into places (not just using glass cutters on windows, but things like using a sort of shotgun mike to find out the location and type of ultrasound motion sensors).

Another example was a professional hit man, who killed a guy by knifing him very expertly in the back (between ribs straight into the kidney), the heart (angled up under the sternum with a long knife, apparently) and then slit his throat, and was in and out of the house in about a minute. He then goes and runs a couple of errands, and waits at home for the police (he's known to them). The police turn up smugly and say "we have a witness who says someone matching your description wearing clothes X and Y was seen in the area of a crime - care to comment?". The guy says "my, what a co-incidence, I own clothes just like that, please take them for analysis". The police open his closet and he owns five pairs of exactly that type of clothing, right down to the shoes. They test the clothes - no blood. They search the house for a knife - no knife. The guy is a vietnamese guy wearing generic clothes at night, but they take him in for interrogation and he lawyers up immediately. They talk to his neighbours - they all say he drives a massive muscle car that wakes them up every time he leaves, and the car didn't leave the house. End result - strong police suspicion, no charge that can proceed. The guy vanished a month or so later.

But the coolest character idea/SR crossover thing is the police from the Surveillance Unit who do incursion warrants. This entails going to a suspect premises (generally drug labs or something similar), planting bugs, taking photos and taking samples etc. However, they all have a freaky memory, because it is well known that drug lab people will do things like line up papers in a specific way on a table to test whether someone comes in over night, or screw the lid on a container a specific number of times, to test whether it's been opened. So they sneak in with fast response officers armed heavily waiting just outside, bypass the normal security measures (cameras, motion sensors etc), bypass the special filled-with-love drug dealer security measures (live snakes loose in the place, man-traps with such power as to sever an ankle, etc) and do the job so that no-one knew they were there. That's cool

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Mar 13 2004, 01:07 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

QUOTE (spotlite)

the whole US government/corporate sponsorship thang. You guys have a legitimised system of bribes to make government work for heaven's sake, and when you think about the sums of money involved its not a short step to active sabotage, public relations deviousness and so on...

Your one to talk being the citizen of socialist, "poor excuse for a democracy", "out law weapons and watch violent crime skyrocket", "don't check that Middle Eastern person's bag cause it's infringing on his civil rights" Ye Olde Glorious Engrish Empire which now has more Muslims than IRA operatives.

You make me laugh.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:27 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.