IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> An evil mage, How to make a blood mage balanced?
Tyro
post Jun 18 2010, 12:10 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,558

I want to create a blood mage for an upcoming game, but the RAW just isn't balanced for a PC. How can I have cool blood mage flavor without making him overpowered?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Deadmannumberone
post Jun 18 2010, 12:18 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,974

See the sidebar on pg 138 of Street Magic.

+Quote Post
Omenowl
post Jun 18 2010, 12:24 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,167

QUOTE (Tyro @ Jun 17 2010, 07:10 PM) *
I want to create a blood mage for an upcoming game, but the RAW just isn't balanced for a PC. How can I have cool blood mage flavor without making him overpowered?

One word notoriety.

I think the biggest issue I would have is does the rest of the group want to deal with someone like that?

+Quote Post
Lansdren
post Jun 18 2010, 05:19 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,848

I would be concerned about playing a blood mage unless the whole team I was running with were very very supportive and back you up 100%

And even then I would be paranoid as there is a massive bounty on your head from the Draco lot who will pay up for your body.

Bloody mages have always been to me a good bad guy or a possible role play thing later down the line.

In the game I ran nt to long ago I had the team hunt a blood mage for the bounty which was no walk in the park as I had built him up as a prime runner for them. But at the end of the day they were fired up for it as blood mages are treated as bad a toxic's

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Jun 18 2010, 05:29 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

You're not really a blood mage unless you:
1) take a blood metamagic.
2) use the Calling rules to summon blood spirits.

Unless you use either of those, you're just a sadistic mage, and there's nothing wrong with them (aside from the normal view on sadists, anyways).

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Jun 18 2010, 05:33 AM
Post #6

Shooting Target

I was planning on possibly using Sacrifice, but I'm not sure I could talk my GM into it. I'd forgotten about Calling; I'll have to look it up.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Jun 18 2010, 05:34 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Don't forget my signature and the guide to owning your own Bloodmourne.

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Jun 18 2010, 09:34 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

How are you planning to deal with the small but oddly significant million nuyen bounty for you at the Draco foundation?

+Quote Post
Traul
post Jun 18 2010, 09:53 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

QUOTE (Hagga @ Jun 18 2010, 11:34 AM) *
How are you planning to deal with the small but oddly significant million nuyen bounty for you at the Draco foundation?

Get a clone, kill him and collect your own bounty?

+Quote Post
Lansdren
post Jun 18 2010, 10:26 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Traul @ Jun 18 2010, 10:53 AM) *

wont work

the clone will not have a blood mage astral imprint for two reasons

1) its a clone they dont get to awaken so it isnt a mage let alone one worth the bounty
2) its a clone it has not lived the life the mage has and been changed by it (its arguable that life alters your astral imprint somewhat as many things rules wise change it so becoming a blood mage should leave a mark just like being a torturer should)

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Jun 18 2010, 03:58 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,454

QUOTE (Lansdren @ Jun 18 2010, 06:26 AM) *
wont work

1) its a clone they dont get to awaken so it isnt a mage let alone one worth the bounty
2) its a clone it has not lived the life the mage has and been changed by it (its arguable that life alters your astral imprint somewhat as many things rules wise change it so becoming a blood mage should leave a mark just like being a torturer should)

Can you do a brain transplant with your clone? You should be able to with the level of med-tech around. Then you just clone yourself a new body and transplant the brain. This would not extend your life signifigantly since your brain will still age and suffer from any normal degenerative processes. But it should let you turn in that Aura.

Of course the surgery will be expensive, never mind....

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jun 18 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Jun 18 2010, 03:58 PM) *
Can you do a brain transplant with your clone? You should be able to with the level of med-tech around. Then you just clone yourself a new body and transplant the brain. This would not extend your life signifigantly since your brain will still age and suffer from any normal degenerative processes. But it should let you turn in that Aura.

Of course the surgery will be expensive, never mind....

I would be the happiest doc on earth if I had a blood mage come in and try to do that surgery. He goes under, I call the Draco Foundation in, he wakes up in a mage cell and I am a million richer.

Just like Carlos the Jackal, but with the blood magic.

+Quote Post
Mordinvan
post Jun 18 2010, 05:39 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 15,912

QUOTE (Lansdren @ Jun 18 2010, 04:26 AM) *
wont work

Except no where in assensing does it say, "and find out what metamagic feats the character knows".

+Quote Post
Drace
post Jun 18 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,936

If your trying to make a character more balanced, just dont specialize the skills too much, and make the blood aspect a minor part of your character. Have them use their own blood, or others but draw parrellels to other traditions/religions so it doesnt seem so much like 'Blah, im a blood mage and am going to sacrifice you' but more like 'damn, i really need to cast this spell without dying so my team can survive, well here goes*slit wrist*'. Roleplaying it and having the rest of the players on board could make it workable, will be hard though (unless your gm decides to make it easy for you, which would be a waste of a good opportunity)

QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Jun 18 2010, 12:39 PM) *
Except no where in assensing does it say, "and find out what metamagic feats the character knows".

But it can tell you about their traditions Im pretty sure, plus I think both Toxic and Blood Mages have their astral sigs altered once they shift, like insect shamans and people touched by shadow spirits. I dont have my book on hand so I cant say for sure though.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Jun 18 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

Why exactly are you trying to do this?
What does it bring to the campaign?

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jun 18 2010, 10:59 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

To be a blood mage you have to be a big unbalanced.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Jun 18 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

What are blood spirits, exactly? Which book are they detailed in?

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Jun 18 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

QUOTE (sabs @ Jun 18 2010, 11:33 AM) *
Why exactly are you trying to do this?
What does it bring to the campaign?

It's a Ghost Cartels campaign, and I wanted to make someone not just amoral, but actively immoral. I might just go classic Faustian, but blood magic is just so kewl (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Jun 19 2010, 02:54 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

QUOTE (Tyro @ Jun 19 2010, 12:18 AM) *
It's a Ghost Cartels campaign, and I wanted to make someone not just amoral, but actively immoral. I might just go classic Faustian, but blood magic is just so kewl (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

In that case, I can't recommend Neraph's Bloodmourne enough. Banishing is.. not so fabulous and there's nothing quite as entertaining as splitting spirits (that don't do what you tell them to) up the middle.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Jun 19 2010, 04:09 AM
Post #20

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Hagga @ Jun 18 2010, 07:54 PM) *
In that case, I can't recommend Neraph's Bloodmourne enough. Banishing is.. not so fabulous and there's nothing quite as entertaining as splitting spirits (that don't do what you tell them to) up the middle.

Awesome mental image ^_^

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Jun 19 2010, 05:06 AM
Post #21

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Traul @ Jun 18 2010, 04:53 AM) *

Actually the reason it won't work is because the bounty is for live blood mages, to study the effects of blood magic on the user. Same thing with toxic shaman.

QUOTE (Tyro Posted Yesterday, 06:18 PM )
It's a Ghost Cartels campaign, and I wanted to make someone not just amoral, but actively immoral. I might just go classic Faustian, but blood magic is just so kewl

Why can't you do a faustian blood mage? You'll have your own spirit at hand (literally) with Bloodmourne, so it's not like you have to look far for Spirit Pacts. Also, with a Bloodmourne's power added to yours you really don't have to worry about those pesky bounty hunters. Especially not if you're a Nosferatu, being able to pump your Magic rating 6 points higher all the time. Magic 10 out of the box, a slew of powers, mystic adept so you can tailor your abilities every 12 hours, take a Charisma-based tradition to synergize with your Nosferatu powers...

I can provide a sample template if you want.

QUOTE (Hagga Posted Yesterday, 09:54 PM )
I can't recommend Neraph's Bloodmourne enough.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif) I have the biggest nerd-crush (platonic) right now. I now am highly recommended. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

EDIT:

+Quote Post
Faraday
post Jun 19 2010, 06:01 AM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 18,155

QUOTE (Neraph @ Jun 18 2010, 10:06 PM) *
Why can't you do a faustian blood mage? You'll have your own spirit at hand (literally) with Bloodmourne, so it's not like you have to look far for Spirit Pacts. Also, with a Bloodmourne's power added to yours you really don't have to worry about those pesky bounty hunters. Especially not if you're a Nosferatu, being able to pump your Magic rating 6 points higher all the time. Magic 10 out of the box, a slew of powers, mystic adept so you can tailor your abilities every 12 hours, take a Charisma-based tradition to synergize with your Nosferatu powers...

I don't think I'll be allowing most infected in my game. At least not anything with more than 1 IP as a baseline.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Jun 19 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

I have no problem with Infected, because they have a cost that seems to be balanced. The amount of work to get an Infected to the same level as a non-infected is ridiculous, except for the number of tricks I've learned.

+Quote Post
Lansdren
post Jun 19 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Jun 18 2010, 06:39 PM) *

where in my post did I mention metamagics?

My points were you cant use a clone because most importantly it wont awaken, and while more abstract in the rules the imprint would not have that taint of blood magic. I mentioned nothing about metamagic in any way.

It is a common occurrence in the fluff to imply bad stuff effects your aura which would mean a clone wouldnt have the same aura as it has not gone though the same things as the original but point two is mostly beaten by point one which is the main show stopper to faking up the body.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Jun 19 2010, 04:39 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Not only that but a clone, while not awakened, can still be used as a Ritual Link to the original.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:18 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.