IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> With a little DNA splicing, can immortal elves be, far behind?
pbangarth
post Jun 19 2010, 12:33 AM
Post #1

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

Check out:world's only immortal animal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Jun 19 2010, 02:58 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,007

Reminds me of Time Lords, it even uses the same term: regeneration.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jun 19 2010, 03:49 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

I heard it on NPR months ago.

And while the jelly is capable of returning to the polyp state, it doesn't mean it has to.

In any case, if we do figure out the trick and introduce it to the human body, just think about what it would be like to have to go through puberty every 10-20 years (oh the price of being immortal).

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Jun 19 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 19 2010, 04:49 PM) *
(oh the price of being immortal).

And what about the monetary price? This might not be around for something like 60-80 years...

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jun 20 2010, 12:01 AM
Post #5

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 19 2010, 09:49 AM) *
I heard it on NPR months ago.

And while the jelly is capable of returning to the polyp state, it doesn't mean it has to.

In any case, if we do figure out the trick and introduce it to the human body, just think about what it would be like to have to go through puberty every 10-20 years (oh the price of being immortal).
Going through puberty in the same state as the first time would be too high a price. Going through it with ~60 years experience under your belt....

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Jun 20 2010, 12:12 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 19 2010, 08:01 PM) *
Going through puberty in the same state as the first time would be too high a price. Going through it with ~60 years experience under your belt....

I'd be dangerous...

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Jun 20 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

The idea of a Shadowrunner going through puberty is justly terrifying. When that teenager can back up their tantrums with arm mounted submachine guns and 50 years of martial art and melee experience..

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jun 20 2010, 01:06 PM
Post #8

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Experience is written in the brain structure. If the brain reverts to newborn, so do your memories and experience.

Also, there are more than a few terrifying genetic diseases involving transdifferentiation, the most well known being FOP (and, of course, Roxborough's Syndrome). Might be a plausible tech babble explanation for Lenonisation though, where certain cells selectively are rejuvenated, or even for the physical effects of healing spells.

+Quote Post
Nixda
post Jun 20 2010, 10:32 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 18,399

Personally it always irked me how only elves seem to be able to have that kind of immortality.
There wouldn't need to be a lot of them, and they wouldnt need to be machiavellian powermongers, but I would be VERY happy to see immortals from the other metahuman races as well in canon.

Elves seem to have that holier-than-thou vibe in way too many RPGs already.
I started disliking it way back in Tolkiens books where humans tended to be more noble, honorable and powerful the more elbish blood was in their ancestors thousands of years ago - always felt way too much like Darwin to me.

I'd really love to see an immortal Ork or Troll in canon.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jun 20 2010, 10:40 PM
Post #10

The King In Yellow

Personally it always irked me how only elves seem to be able to have that kind of immortality.

There used to be dawrfs in the first germany book and the accompanying novels. But they were retconned out of German canon, pretty much. Theoretically, other human-derived immortals should be possible.

In SR, this is more reguzlarily encountered with PC orcs and trolls who complain about being racially stereotyped and then doing absolutly everything to live up to a negative stereotype. Makes me think twice to admit troll PC actually.

+Quote Post
Lucyfersam
post Jun 20 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,137

QUOTE (Nixda @ Jun 20 2010, 04:32 PM) *
There wouldn't need to be a lot of them, and they wouldnt need to be machiavellian powermongers, but I would be VERY happy to see immortals from the other metahuman races as well in canon.

I started disliking it way back in Tolkiens books where humans tended to be more noble, honorable and powerful the more elbish blood was in their ancestors thousands of years ago - always felt way too much like Darwin to me.

According to comments in the Tir Taringir book, all meta-humans have the gene complex which renders one immortal, it only seems to activate normally in elves, and for unknown reasons is assumed to deactivate in non-immortal elves as 300 years or so (the 6th world is to young to have had an elf die of old age). If this is true, it is only a matter of time before researchers figure out how to activate this complex in other species. Honestly, but 2100, I expect immortality to be the norm for mid to upper class individuals of all races.

Lucy

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jun 20 2010, 11:38 PM
Post #12

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

More Practical Problems:
What about your family/job while you're regressing into a spoiled brat?
Don't think your old job is going to allow some 16 year old to work there.

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Jun 21 2010, 01:31 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

QUOTE (Nixda @ Jun 20 2010, 11:32 PM) *

Yes, because evolution is dirty and nasty. Tolkien's elves were that way because they were there first, and Eru's firstborn. Men had the gift of mortality, and were Eru's favored. Wasn't there a mention in a german book of a kingdom of Earthdawn dwarves that recently stopped being stone? And there's probably one or two around keeping a low profile that made a spirit pact in the last era, or they may have died off from accident or violence.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jun 21 2010, 01:49 AM
Post #14

The ShadowComedian

Wasn't there a mention in a german book of a kingdom of Earthdawn dwarves that recently stopped being stone?

If you are not talking about hwaldos from the pandur novels series, please elaborate O.o

+Quote Post
Method
post Jun 21 2010, 03:36 AM
Post #15

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

QUOTE (Nixda @ Jun 20 2010, 05:32 PM) *
Wasn't there an immortal ork in one of the SR2 books? Blackmoore or something? I remember there was a pair of pictures by the same artist of an ork, one in a SR book and one in an ED book that played off each other. Am I off my rocker here? Ancient History?

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jun 21 2010, 11:00 AM
Post #16

The King In Yellow

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 21 2010, 03:49 AM) *
If you are not talking about hwaldos from the pandur novels series, please elaborate O.o

I am, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Always considered that a Caer that had never been opened and where the inhabitants have kind of degenerated. Them being throalian makes zero sense, since Throal was in what today would be Kazakhstan.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jun 21 2010, 11:04 AM
Post #17

The King In Yellow

According to comments in the Tir Taringir book, all meta-humans have the gene complex which renders one immortal, it only seems to activate normally in elves, and for unknown reasons is assumed to deactivate in non-immortal elves as 300 years or so (the 6th world is to young to have had an elf die of old age). If this is true, it is only a matter of time before researchers figure out how to activate this complex in other species. Honestly, but 2100, I expect immortality to be the norm for mid to upper class individuals of all races.

Right, I forgot about that. Yes, that is a distinct possibility.

Wasn't there an immortal ork in one of the SR2 books? Blackmoore or something? I remember there was a pair of pictures by the same artist of an ork, one in a SR book and one in an ED book that played off each other. Am I off my rocker here? Ancient History?

I seem to remember that some Orcs on the Theran high council used blood magic to rejuvenate (though, this being Thera, that's hardly surprising, as they used blood magic for everything, including bringing out the trash. Thera is what Aztech wants to be when it grows up). I cannot seem to remember the immortal orc, but it would be possible with a spirit pact or magical activation of the stopwatch complex from the TT book.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jun 21 2010, 11:46 AM
Post #18

The ShadowComedian

QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 21 2010, 01:00 PM) *
I am, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Always considered that a Caer that had never been opened and where the inhabitants have kind of degenerated. Them being throalian makes zero sense, since Throal was in what today would be Kazakhstan.

Well, the fluff in the books does not make it look as if they had degenerated O.o
They still have art and magic. And going by the example of REM, from time to time some of them leave.
Also, they seem to have not too much of a problem with allowing people in who have a recommendation.

Wasn't the immortal Ork the one Master-Thief who stole his days from death/time?

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jun 21 2010, 12:10 PM
Post #19

The King In Yellow

Well, the fluff in the books does not make it look as if they had degenerated O.o

Of course they have, basically being magical squatters who live off Fungus they scrape off the wallsof their caér. They have more magical knowledge than the average German mundane runner, but that's hardly surprising (and Pandur is the kind of idiot who is easily impressed).

They still have art and magic. And going by the example of REM, from time to time some of them leave.

To live in the gutters and breed metal bands with hideous names. That's not exactly like the immortal elves who found countries and send the Wild Hunt after everyone who pisses them off. Although it seems Kaltenstein has some contact with them (might Kaltenstein be Earthswallower the Vasgothian Great?).

And, of course, to pork women and offer the reader grautitiously detailed descriptions of a dwarf penis. Thank you, Mr. Alpert. I had a good laugh. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Also, they seem to have not too much of a problem with allowing people in who have a recommendation.

And run about with a huge exclamation mark inscribed with DRAGON FUCKIN MAGIC in astral space hanging above them. Guess they were either curious and/or were obliged to respect dragon emissiaries. That, and Pandur knew the seekrit word!

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jun 21 2010, 12:20 PM
Post #20

The ShadowComedian

You are a bitter little man O.o

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jun 21 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #21

The King In Yellow

I am actually rather tall. And I dislike Pandur as a character. ^_^ But yes, my post now sounds rather cranky. Must've been me being annoyed by the seminar I was in while posting. It's not I dislike the stuff as intensely as it may seem.

The idea of the underground dwarfs was okay to me, actually, making me a minority in german fandom.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jun 21 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #22

The ShadowComedian

Nah i liked the idea too . . Goes to show that in germany, the dwarves are where it's at, not the sissy-boys ^^

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jun 21 2010, 01:14 PM
Post #23

The King In Yellow

Not too much of a fan of dwarfs, myself, but it was a nice idea, and I pity how Eismann had them written out. Dwarfs rule the underworld and all. Very germanic actually. And a good counterpoint in the setting to all the otehr awakened countries.

And Pomorya is rather uninspired, especially the writeup in Laender der Verheissung. Prefer Tir na nOg, myself. Place is so much like modern Germany, it's creepy.

Troll kingdom is a ncie place too, at least if you also have read the Vasgothia section in the Thera book. I like to make people run into a distorted zone there occasionally. Even had some see the Towers in the distance once. Weirded them out. ^_^

+Quote Post
Nixda
post Jun 21 2010, 02:03 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 18,399

QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 21 2010, 01:04 PM) *
I seem to remember that some Orcs on the Theran high council used blood magic to rejuvenate (though, this being Thera, that's hardly surprising, as they used blood magic for everything, including bringing out the trash. Thera is what Aztech wants to be when it grows up). I cannot seem to remember the immortal orc, but it would be possible with a spirit pact or magical activation of the stopwatch complex from the TT book.

I'd need to check my Theran Empire book for that orc, but from what I remember from that book the office of emperor alternated between the theran houses and it caused a big scandal when the ruling house chose an obsidiman for the office because they live so long, keeping the power in the hands of that house.
So even if they did rejuvenating blood magics, their life expectancy would still have been much lower than the 900 years average of obsidimen and far from true immortality.
Which is strange in itself, considering they were powerful enough to do bloodmagic on a level that kept the worldwide mana level from declining naturally and artificially delayed the oncoming of the fifth world.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jun 21 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #25

The King In Yellow

Which is strange in itself, considering they were powerful enough to do bloodmagic on a level that kept the worldwide mana level from declining naturally and artificially delayed the oncoming of the fifth world.

It seems their copy of the Books of Harrow lacked a few pages.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:04 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.