Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spell Design - Movement, Breaking the Speed of Sound
Mystweaver
post Jun 21 2010, 11:42 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,383

My character is a Drake and my intention is to break the speed of sound in flight.
This is quite difficult to say the least and the only way I think I can manage it is by increase my run multiplier by a considerable amount.

I have a quickness of 9 +9 from the channelled air elemental and +10 from an infusion focus with sprint so Quickness 28.
I have athletics of 7 and in our campaign we have a house rule of an athletics pool which allows me to use an additional 7 dice.
I have a centering of 12 (due to a +6 from a cenetering focus).

Thus I have 14 dice and 12 centering. On average this will give me 10 more quickness. So 38. With Karma I will need to get this up to at least 45

With the speed of sound being 343m/s and a single round being 3 seconds, I need to get my total run speed to 1,029
Divide this by quickness to get the required multiplier so 23

In order to get my run multiplier this high am going to need some considerable help.
Firstly Drake flight is x4, channelled air elemental of force 9 , brings this to 13.

So, to get those last 10 points, I need a spell that duplicates the spirit power of movement.

Here is my idea.

Take the increase Quickness Spell and include the movement power into it.
Restrict it to caster only and decrease the TN for the spell by 4 (increasing the drain by 4 levels).

Though I don't have my calculations to hand, I got the drain to (D+4)

However, one primary problem at this speed of course is turning and the potential of serverely hurting oneself if I fly into anything (clothes lines, kids throwing balls etc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )

So, I want to also incorporate a deflection spell into it and perhaps a way of defeating the effects of G force.

I will also have the problem of fatigue, an olympic sprinter can only run flat out for 24 seconds (in a 200m race) and is knackered thereafter. Fortunately I have a considerably higher body (of 18 while channelling). It will still however be a problem.

There will also be an issue of the effects of breaking the speed of sound itself and the airburst that is released. I don't think I will have too much of a problem here in a environmentally sealed suit of hardened military armour but yet again, it will need to be taken into consideration.

Not sure how I can do ALL of this though. Any ideas?
Also any ideas of any other ways this feat of craziness might be accomplished.

Btw, just incase you are wondering, my character is at 1000+ karma and is an adept with the magic power at 6.
Casting and drain generally is not a problem...

Also I am not just thinking about this to show off... it is crazy powerful and will allow my character to get in and out of situations rediculously quickly (he is a sword swinger).

Think crazy, think out of the box...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 21 2010, 02:51 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

You aren't a metahuman so you can't Ghoul, you aren't a Horse Shaman, you aren't an Eagle Shifter (or quadruped shifter for running)… I don't remember how Drakes interact with cyberware, and the answer is probably "badly", but Kid Stealth legs are the only other approach I can think of. I'll look at the spell approach when I get a moment.

Edit: you might be able to do something with Athletics, though I think the only strict canon option applies only to running.

~J

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jun 21 2010, 03:00 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jun 21 2010, 10:51 AM) *
you aren't an Eagle Shifter (or quadruped shifter for running)

He'd lose the x4 for being a drake and flying and gain a x4 for being an Eagle and flying.

… I don't remember how Drakes interact with cyberware, and the answer is probably "badly"

Try "double essence loss." This is SR3 drakes we're talking about. "Badly" doesn't even begin to cover it.

+Quote Post
Lanlaorn
post Jun 21 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,737

While we're on the topic of the Movement spirit power, how does this work for Ally spirits? Normal spirits are bound by their "terrain" so a Water spirit could quadruple your movement in water while and Air spirit triples your flight speed and so on.

An Ally spirit has no terrains, or I suppose more accurately it has all of them, so it would just multiply your movement rate by its force whenever? That seems fairly crazy, a Force 4 spirit could have your entire group zipping across land, sea and air (earth, water and air)?

+Quote Post
Mystweaver
post Jun 21 2010, 04:12 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 21 2010, 04:48 PM) *
While we're on the topic of the Movement spirit power, how does this work for Ally spirits? Normal spirits are bound by their "terrain" so a Water spirit could quadruple your movement in water while and Air spirit triples your flight speed and so on.

An Ally spirit has no terrains, or I suppose more accurately it has all of them, so it would just multiply your movement rate by its force whenever? That seems fairly crazy, a Force 4 spirit could have your entire group zipping across land, sea and air (earth, water and air)?

Thats why I'm going for a force 9 air elemental increasing my multiplier by 9.

My primary concern is flying into debris at 1000m/s, Gforce effects, turning and the effects of breaking the sound barrier on the (meta)human body.
Essentially I want to solve it all with one big-ass spell but not sure how to go about statting the spell for the purposes of drain.

Attributes in this one spell Im considering then:
Improved Quickness.
Improved Movement multiplier as the spirit power.
Deflect object.
Effect Gravity.
Some sort of effect that allows me to turn at full speed.
Something to help the effects of fatigue for long distance journies.

To reduce the horrendous drain, as mentioned above; limiting the spell to caster only.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 24 2010, 02:28 AM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 21 2010, 11:00 AM) *
He'd lose the x4 for being a drake and flying and gain a x4 for being an Eagle and flying.

x5, actually.

~J

+Quote Post
Mystweaver
post Jun 24 2010, 09:49 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Unfortunately I can't just change form like that... would be nice to get the x5 base but a spell will have to do.
Once I remember look up my notes, I'll break down this proposed spell.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 25 2010, 01:07 AM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

You can, actually: cast Shapechange into a Pegasus for a flying multiplier of 8. Your base Quickness drops to 4, but you can get a lot of successes on Increase Quickness at TN 4.

~J

+Quote Post
Mystweaver
post Jun 25 2010, 09:33 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jun 25 2010, 02:07 AM) *
You can, actually: cast Shapechange into a Pegasus for a flying multiplier of 8. Your base Quickness drops to 4, but you can get a lot of successes on Increase Quickness at TN 4.

~J

Nice idea, unfortunately I dont think a Pegasus can hold a Katana or an Assault rifle so when I reach my destination (a chopper trying to get away or even just a target), I'd have to change back... Thus, I'd rather stay in Drake form so I can keep my Thumbs!

+Quote Post
Mystweaver
post Jun 25 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Right finally, here are the workings out for this spell.

Just so my they can be understood, Each Level of drain added or reduce by different things equals 2 so Light is 2, Moderate is 4, and so on.

Drain Level Modifiers

S Drain(6) Improved Movement multiplier as the spirit power: Each success on casting increase movement multiplier upto maximum of force.
D Drain((IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) Effect Gravity – Creates a bubble around the caster similar to armour which keeps the caster at a constant of 1G no matter what velocity they are travelling at. As such if working out comparative velocity, work it out as though the subject of the spell is at zero velocity.

-S Drain(-6) Caster Only

L Drain(2) Usual Target number to cast is 6 as it is a Telekinetic manipulation that I think requires “fine manipulation on part of the caster” (pg.50 MITS): Reduce by 1 to TN5 (GM has agreed that each point of reduction equals one level of drain).

Total = (10)D+2!!!

Drain Power

Physical Spell +1
Sustained Spell +1
Restricted Target - Caster -1

Total = +1

Spell.

Name: Supersonic
Telekinetic Manipulation
Type: Physical
Target: 4 (Caster only)
Duration: Sustained
Range: Touch
Drain: +1(D+2)

TN Required to Design Spell at force 6: 12(twice force)+3(drain mods)-6(magic attribute) = TN:9
Base time: 60 days

Eeek going to need 10 fours with a force 6 version of this spell to take no drain! Owch!

If I need to use this, I think its karma time!

Unfortunately even with this spell, I cant even get close to breaking the speed sound.

Base Quickness= 9, +9 for channelled air elemental, +10 Sprint focus = 28
Athletics: 7, +7 pool, + 12 centering = Average of +10 quickness

Movement = x4 Flying Drake, + x9 channelled air elemental, + x6 spell = x19 multiplier
28x19 = 532 meters per turn or 177m/s... Target= 350m/s

Oh well.

Any comments ideas??

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.