IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Allergic to Wi-fi? Most Perturbatory..., A real person is allergic to it?
Warmaster Lah
post Jun 22 2010, 08:02 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,072

From OMG-Facts.

There's a man who is 'allergic' to Wi-Fi.

When he's around a wi-fi signal, it makes him feel "dizzy, sick and confused." It's a condition called "Electromagnetic Sensitivity". With the increase in the availability of public wi-fi, this guy has had to drastically go out of his way to avoid the signals. "I feel like an exile on my own planet. It's almost impossible to find somewhere without wi-fi nowadays.".

----

Now I couldnt find any links on the site to verify but I will look for it.

Someone could be aware of wi-fi.... my sci-fi story might not be so far fetched then....

Found it I think: Link
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 22 2010, 08:03 PM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Nope. It's an increasingly common delusion/hoax that hasn't (yet? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) ) held up to testing.

Given the prevalence of EM radiation of all kinds everywhere, it's very suspicious that these people just claim 'wi-fi' (and occasionally cell towers instead).

+Quote Post
Dr.Rockso
post Jun 22 2010, 08:03 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,849

QUOTE (Warmaster Lah @ Jun 22 2010, 03:02 PM) *
From OMG-Facts.

There's a man who is 'allergic' to Wi-Fi.

When he's around a wi-fi signal, it makes him feel "dizzy, sick and confused." It's a condition called "Electromagnetic Sensitivity". With the increase in the availability of public wi-fi, this guy has had to drastically go out of his way to avoid the signals. "I feel like an exile on my own planet. It's almost impossible to find somewhere without wi-fi nowadays.".

----

Now I couldnt find any links on the site to verify but I will look for it.

Someone could be aware of wi-fi.... my sci-fi story might not be so far fetched then....

Sounds like he would benefit from a tinfoil hat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jun 22 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Either way, it's covered in Shadowrun. Unwired has a negative quality that deals with the same basic concept, though I don't recall the name off the top of my head. Runner's Companion has a positive metagenic trait that works on the concept, too, but to the character's benefit. Then you have Technomancers who feel exactly the opposite; a lack of a signal makes them all weird feeling.

+Quote Post
AStarshipforAnts
post Jun 22 2010, 08:07 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,624

QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 22 2010, 03:04 PM) *
Either way, it's covered in Shadowrun. Unwired has a negative quality that deals with the same basic concept, though I don't recall the name off the top of my head. Runner's Companion has a positive metagenic trait that works on the concept, too, but to the character's benefit. Then you have Technomancers who feel exactly the opposite; a lack of a signal makes them all weird feeling.

The quality is AIPS.

The character has Artificially Induced Psychotropic Schizophrenia
Syndrome, a psychological disorder most common to survivors of the Matrix Crash of 2064. For each level of this quality taken (max. 3), the character suffers a –1 dice pool penalty to Perception Tests while within Signal range of a Matrix device (including her own). Additionally, the gamemaster may require a successful Willpower Success Test with a threshold equal to the level of this quality when the character must focus her attention in a non-stressful situation.

+Quote Post
Sheala
post Jun 22 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 17,868

My mother claims she is allergic to mobile radiation. As a technophobe, she is not even aware about wifi signals everywhere. Also she seem to be upset when she actually SEES the cellphone, and displays no symptoms when cellphone is present without her awareness. Maybe my mom has AIPS, but I think she is just nuts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
Okay i know how does psychosomatics work.I am a psycholopgy student anyway

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jun 22 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Warmaster Lah @ Jun 22 2010, 09:02 PM) *

If The Sun wrote that the sun will rise tomorrow morning, I wouldn't believe them until seeing it myself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

The whole scare about radiation for cellphones, power lines and whatnot has been around for decades, but never once has one of the alleged sufferers been able to reliably tell the presence of EM radiation in a double-blind study.

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Jun 22 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,646

My mother in law appears to be sensitive to EM radiation. It can be anything from her hand feeling warm if she holds her cellphone for too long to have difficulty sleeping with power meters on the other side of her bedroom wall.

It could be psychosomatic but I am going to side on "real impact of EM fields".

+Quote Post
Hand-E-Food
post Jun 22 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,592

There's only 912 days left until the dawn of the sixth age. The transition is starting! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jun 22 2010, 10:31 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Cabral @ Jun 22 2010, 06:26 PM) *
It can be anything from her hand feeling warm if she holds her cellphone for too long

Or you know. A buildup of actual heat.

My phone sometimes feels warm in my pocket (and then I pull it out to find the camera's on and its draining the battery, causing an excessive buildup of waste heat).

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jun 22 2010, 10:32 PM
Post #11

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

Oh look, he's allergic to light.

+Quote Post
suoq
post Jun 22 2010, 10:40 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 18,746

Ars Technica responds in advance (same guy, a year ago)

This post has been edited by suoq: Jun 22 2010, 10:41 PM

+Quote Post
Hand-E-Food
post Jun 22 2010, 11:27 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,592

QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 23 2010, 08:32 AM) *
Oh look, he's allergic to light.

Actually, light allergy is a real condition: Xeroderma pigmentosum.

+Quote Post
Mesh
post Jun 23 2010, 01:17 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,443

LoL, so if this guy...

"If I go somewhere, I can instantly sense the wi-fi and have to leg it."

...can instantly sense it, what the frag is he doing with a wi-fi detector? So he can know when he has a headache?

Mesh

+Quote Post
Railgun
post Jun 23 2010, 01:38 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 18,639

I can hear electricity. Outlets and stuff that are in rooms give out this super high pitch ring in my ears. Kinda like that sound capacitors in old cameras and stuff make, except constant and never changing in pitch. Its annoying. But someone getting dizzy from wifi, glad I don't have that.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jun 23 2010, 03:24 AM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Railgun @ Jun 22 2010, 09:38 PM) *
I can hear electricity. Outlets and stuff that are in rooms give out this super high pitch ring in my ears. Kinda like that sound capacitors in old cameras and stuff make, except constant and never changing in pitch. Its annoying.

My ears aren't (weren't?) that sensative, but I could hear CRT monitors in sleep mode (PC off, monitor on) and could not stand a ticking clock (I went Captain Hook on them--well, ok, I wanted to).

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 23 2010, 03:28 AM
Post #17

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

i can hear when a CRT is on, but there is no image or sound, thanks to its slight buzzing noise.

but wifi allergy, bah.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 23 2010, 03:33 AM
Post #18

Advocatus Diaboli

Yeah, you lose the higher frequencies as you age. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 23 2010, 03:39 AM
Post #19

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jun 23 2010, 05:33 AM) *
Yeah, you lose the higher frequencies as you age. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

funny enough, i think i have managed to retain most of it, tho its still "early" days as i have only just started on the down hill part towards adult diapers.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jun 23 2010, 03:39 AM
Post #20

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

Xeroderma pigmentosum isn't an allergy- its an inability to repair damage to your DNA caused by UV radiation. An actual allergy to light would not be conducive to life. Nor would an allergy to radio waves (wifi), which by the way aren't a new invention- they are a cosmic phenomenon that probably started oh... around the time of the Big Bang! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohplease.gif) {edit: which is an oxymoron I suppose, since time also started with the Big Bang, but whatever...}

Lucky for us our immune system (the basis for allergies) cannot detect and react specifically to various forms of electromagnetic radiation. In fact, the known effects of radiation on the immune system are *immunosuppressive* and that takes considerably higher energy than radio waves.

This whole thing is nonsense.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 23 2010, 04:08 AM
Post #21

Advocatus Diaboli

I always assumed that CRT capacitor whine was a common thing. I don't see many CRTs any more, but they always used to make that noise for me.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jun 23 2010, 04:26 AM
Post #22

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

If anyone is interested:

Rubin GJ, Nieto-Hernandez R, Wessely S. Idiopathic environmental intolerance attributed to electromagnetic fields (formerly 'electromagnetic hypersensitivity'): An updated systematic review of provocation studies. Bioelectromagnetics. 2010 Jan;31(1):1-11.

Here's the punch line:
To date, 46 studies involving 1175 volunteers with
IEI-EMF have tested whether exposure to electro-
magnetic fields can trigger the symptoms reported by
this group. These studies have produced little evidence
to suggest that this is the case or that individuals
with IEI-EMF are particularly adept at detecting the
presence of electromagnetic fields. On the other hand,
many of these studies have found evidence that the
nocebo effect is a sufficient explanation for the acute
symptoms reported in IEI-EMF. Thus while continued
experimental research in this area will be required to
clarify the role of chronic exposures and to test the
effects of new varieties of electromagnetic emissions,
the best evidence currently available suggests that IEI-
EMF should not be viewed as a bioelectromagnetic
phenomenon.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jun 23 2010, 04:33 AM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jun 23 2010, 12:08 AM) *
I always assumed that CRT capacitor whine was a common thing. I don't see many CRTs any more, but they always used to make that noise for me.

My parents could never hear it, despite how much I bitched about making sure to turn the monitor off.

+Quote Post
Cthulhudreams
post Jun 23 2010, 04:37 AM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 12,328

The guy referenced in the OP is a crank.

My parents could never hear it, despite how much I bitched about making sure to turn the monitor off.

This is because your parents have natural hearing loss through age.

+Quote Post
Martin_DeVries_I...
post Jun 23 2010, 04:44 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,684

QUOTE (Method @ Jun 22 2010, 07:39 PM) *
Xeroderma pigmentosum isn't an allergy- its an inability to repair damage to your DNA caused by UV radiation. An actual allergy to light would not be conducive to life. Nor would an allergy to radio waves (wifi), which by the way aren't a new invention- they are a cosmic phenomenon that probably started oh... around the time of the Big Bang! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohplease.gif) {edit: which is an oxymoron I suppose, since time also started with the Big Bang, but whatever...}

Lucky for us our immune system (the basis for allergies) cannot detect and react specifically to various forms of electromagnetic radiation. In fact, the known effects of radiation on the immune system are *immunosuppressive* and that takes considerably higher energy than radio waves.

Sir, this is the Internet. Your "facts," "logic," and "rational thinking" have no place here. Begone!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:54 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.