Laodicea
post Jun 23 2010, 05:49 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,749

Long time lurker, first time poster.

How do you guys deal with astral kiting in your games? I'll clarify:
astrally projecting mage comes up against dual natured critter or NPC. The critter or NPC is limited in speed by its physical body. The astrally projecting mage is moving at the speed of thought. Is there any reason the projecting mage couldnt kite around the critter, nailing it with manabolts. He can do this as long as he can take the drain.

You could deal with it by introducing enemy spirits. But that may not fit the plot or be realistic. You could deal with it by making the space fairly restrictive, lots of mana barriers or wards around. But if we're talking about a mage who's scouting ahead for a party in the wilderness...I really don't see a solution. Maybe there doesn't need to be a solution. Maybe this is one of those scenarios in which the mage simply has the upper hand and nothing can be done about it. But i feel like a single mage shouldn't be able to deal with an entire pack of wild hellhounds all on his own.

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Deadmannumberone
post Jun 23 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,974

QUOTE (Laodicea @ Jun 23 2010, 11:49 AM) *
Maybe this is one of those scenarios in which the mage simply has the upper hand and nothing can be done about it.

Yep. Especially if the mage flies upwards where the hellhounds can't reach. Just keep in mind that all objects have an astral equivalent that blocks LOS.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jun 23 2010, 07:03 PM
Post #3

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Same way I deal with people with guns firing on people without guns.

The people without guns suffer.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 23 2010, 07:08 PM
Post #4

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

*shrug* Jetpack rifleman beats a melee guy on foot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Jun 23 2010, 07:25 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

Jetpack riflemen are vulnerable to a much wider array of attack types than purely astral forms are, however. That's part of why I've tended to argue that the game is a bit over-centralized around Magicians. Adepts with Astral Perception, high damage values and Mystic Armor sound like fun in theory, but unless you're at least a Mystic Adept, you're really only so much meat if a Magician shows up.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 23 2010, 07:30 PM
Post #6

Advocatus Diaboli

Heh, I just meant in the specific context of 1v1 against a melee guy on foot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It wasn't a general-purpose metaphor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Jun 23 2010, 07:46 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,454

QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Jun 23 2010, 03:25 PM) *
Jetpack riflemen are vulnerable to a much wider array of attack types than purely astral forms are, however. That's part of why I've tended to argue that the game is a bit over-centralized around Magicians. Adepts with Astral Perception, high damage values and Mystic Armor sound like fun in theory, but unless you're at least a Mystic Adept, you're really only so much meat if a Magician shows up.

I have been toying with the idea of allowing Astra Combat against any Astrally active being that you can perceive if using the Astra Combat skill. So the Astrally perceiving adept can launch his attacks against the mage across the street. After all the astral plane is all about thought, emotion and perception. No reason to limit things to meat ranges.

This would empower the dual natured beings greatly and improve the effects of Astral Perception.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 23 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #8

Advocatus Diaboli

But the Astral Plane is a direct 3D shadow of the material plane, and dual-natured things can't get out of their skin. The great utility of Astral Perception is perceiving the Astral. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Don't steal the utility of Astral *Projection*.

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Jun 23 2010, 08:02 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,454

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jun 23 2010, 03:50 PM) *
But the Astral Plane is a direct 3D shadow of the material plane, and dual-natured things can't get out of their skin. The great utility of Astral Perception is perceiving the Astral. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Don't steal the utility of Astral *Projection*.

Are dimensions the same in the Astral? Does the length of a ruler (or the shadow of the physical ruler) have an actual length or only a perceived length due to the importantce attached to its label as a ruler?

I don't think (and my astral combat experience is pretty rusty) that the rules talk about movement (in the local combat type sense). Wouldn't it make more sense that your weapon focus polearm has reach in the Astral due to its identity as a weapon with reach rather than any physical properties in the material plain?

I think some things have different sized shaped auras in the Astral, I might be thinking of Drakes.... can't really remember. Does a thing that has a different size or shape have the ability to use that altered shape and size on the Astral? Does the drake have claws or reach?

I am just sort of rambling along, but I need to air out the idea before submitting it to my group anyhow.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Jun 23 2010, 08:07 PM
Post #10

Runner

Don't steal the utility of Astral *Projection*.

Why shouldn't we? Astral Projection still has advantages like allowing people to use mental attributes instead of meat attributes (not a small thing for a Magician, particularly human ones), investigate/manifest in areas that their physical bodies cannot reach plus they can always just run the hell away far quicker than a dual-natured form could hope to travel. Further, magicians get both astral perception, astral projection AND access to the Conjuration and Sorcery skill sets for 5-10 build points more than an Adept or Mystad. Adepts, on the other hand, pay out a full power point for what boils down to access to assensing, since dual-natured combat vs. purely astral forms is a fool's errand compared to just fighting things off when they materialize or come at you meatside. The deal Magicians get on the Astral is already arguably superior to that of an astrally oriented adept even before you factor in cost and the ability to curb stomp melee forms with no risk.

+Quote Post
Traul
post Jun 23 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

Don't forget that awakened metahumans can switch off astral perception. After the first manabolt, they can just leave the astral and be safe. Free spirits can drop their materialized or possessed form to get on an equal footing with the mage. This only leaves permanently dual natured critters who are not also mages as vulnerable targets.

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Jun 23 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Well... there is always fleeing into a small room. So when the magician want to target him, he has to go in... and is in reach for a second or so. Enough to get a astral paw to the face. Other than that... dying. Or hoping they have a natural spell or something which works on astral.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jun 23 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Jun 23 2010, 02:07 PM) *
Why shouldn't we? Astral Projection still has advantages like allowing people to use mental attributes instead of meat attributes (not a small thing for a Magician, particularly human ones), investigate/manifest in areas that their physical bodies cannot reach plus they can always just run the hell away far quicker than a dual-natured form could hope to travel. Further, magicians get both astral perception, astral projection AND access to the Conjuration and Sorcery skill sets for 5-10 build points more than an Adept or Mystad. Adepts, on the other hand, pay out a full power point for what boils down to access to assensing, since dual-natured combat vs. purely astral forms is a fool's errand compared to just fighting things off when they materialize or come at you meatside. The deal Magicians get on the Astral is already arguably superior to that of an astrally oriented adept even before you factor in cost and the ability to curb stomp melee forms with no risk.

Your post boils down to "physical adept suck it." and I quite agree. I'm working on fleshing out a set of houserules that I've been using for years to fix this problem. I'll post it when I'm done with it.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Jun 23 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #14

Runner

The right tactics can cover up a lot of things, true, but the advantage spells have over dual-natured Astral Combat still hits me as a touch over the top when you consider that Mana Bolt and its ilk double as an excellent meatside tool. As it stands right now, most dual-natured critters really only make sense as a Magician countermeasure if you take them out of their natural habitat and stick 'em in a good ol' fashioned dungeon crawl. That's some irony right there; Darwin probably just hit 1,000 RPMs.

And anyway, I'm not necessarily all up in arms about getting PhysAds equal representation on the astral or anything; they're called Physical Adepts for a reason, I suppose, and as a thematic choice I can see why people would stick with the status quo of Magicians being 100% better on the Astral. I just think that the situation is one-sided enough that you could easily cut the dual-natured guys a break without them dethroning Magicians. Like I said though, I can see why people aren't in a rush to change it. Personal taste and all that.

+Quote Post
Emy
post Jun 23 2010, 08:46 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,033

QUOTE (Traul @ Jun 23 2010, 02:18 PM) *
Free spirits can drop their materialized or possessed form to get on an equal footing with the mage.

Free spirits don't need to drop their physical form. They're also Magicians, and can therefore throw overcast Stunbolts right back at the mage.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jun 23 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Jun 23 2010, 02:02 PM) *
Are dimensions the same in the Astral? Does the length of a ruler (or the shadow of the physical ruler) have an actual length or only a perceived length due to the importantce attached to its label as a ruler?

I don't think (and my astral combat experience is pretty rusty) that the rules talk about movement (in the local combat type sense). Wouldn't it make more sense that your weapon focus polearm has reach in the Astral due to its identity as a weapon with reach rather than any physical properties in the material plain?

I think some things have different sized shaped auras in the Astral, I might be thinking of Drakes.... can't really remember. Does a thing that has a different size or shape have the ability to use that altered shape and size on the Astral? Does the drake have claws or reach?

I am just sort of rambling along, but I need to air out the idea before submitting it to my group anyhow.

The rule books most certainly talk about astral movement, and speed. The dimensions in astral are pretty much the same as physical. SR4 page 183. astral "Walking" rate is 100M/turn. Running rate is up to 5k/turn. No dual natured creature I can think of could keep up. Some of the flying creatures could keep up at their flying speed, as long as the pojecting mage isn't "running." If the mage were very very poor at plotting their movements, they might choose to cast a spell too close to an enemy, and find themselves in range of an attack on the enemys next turn.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Jun 23 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Jun 23 2010, 10:02 PM) *
Dimensions are more or less the same

Longer weapons also have increased reach as a weapon focus on all planes

AFAIK only drakes have this exception.

+Quote Post
Omenowl
post Jun 24 2010, 01:38 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,167

I favor a lack of distance on the astral in combat. Removes reach and other wonky things about spirits, force, adepts, animals, etc.

Basically the only thing that applies is LOS obstacles. You get 2 distance either too far or you can fight.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jun 24 2010, 02:55 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Omenowl @ Jun 23 2010, 08:38 PM) *
I favor a lack of distance on the astral in combat. Removes reach and other wonky things about spirits, force, adepts, animals, etc.

Basically the only thing that applies is LOS obstacles. You get 2 distance either too far or you can fight.

so, sod the rules why even try? I guess I can get on board with that...

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jun 24 2010, 03:52 AM
Post #20

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

A normally non-dual natured adept that is Astrally Perceiving can turn off his Astral Perception and the mage is left with playing with himself in astral space. A Dual Natured being like a shapeshifter would not be able to do the same, which is why being dual natured is considered a 2 edged sword.

+Quote Post
IKerensky
post Jun 24 2010, 08:33 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,622

QUOTE (toturi @ Jun 24 2010, 03:52 AM) *
A normally non-dual natured adept that is Astrally Perceiving can turn off his Astral Perception and the mage is left with playing with himself in astral space. A Dual Natured being like a shapeshifter would not be able to do the same, which is why being dual natured is considered a 2 edged sword.

Doesnt sound all that much like dual edged sword to me... sound like a really good shaft.

Dual Natured means you are all the times vulnerable to Astral entities you possibly cant reach. So Dual Natured should be very endangered species.

You can also try to understand why they are dual-natured in the first place... what is their advantage ?

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Jun 24 2010, 08:39 AM
Post #22

Prime Runner

I guess someone with no grasp of gamemechanics equated their awakened status to a dual nature. Well ghouls have to be dual-natured or blind but all others, I don't know.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jun 24 2010, 09:52 AM
Post #23

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (IKerensky @ Jun 24 2010, 04:33 PM) *
Doesnt sound all that much like dual edged sword to me... sound like a really good shaft.

Dual Natured means you are all the times vulnerable to Astral entities you possibly cant reach. So Dual Natured should be very endangered species.

You can also try to understand why they are dual-natured in the first place... what is their advantage ?

I would surmise that Dual Natured creatures that are not Mystic Adept/Magicians are swiftly eliminated from the gene pool. Hence we would tend to see (and assume incorrectly) that all Dual Natured creatures like Shapeshifters are bad assed mages, when it is an evolutionary necessity for them and we only see the ones that survive.

Take for example a Mystic Adept Shapeshifter. Against purely astral entities that cast spells, he has access to Magic Resistance (as an Adept power), can learn counterspelling and he doesn't need to buy Astral Perception.

+Quote Post
Traul
post Jun 24 2010, 10:01 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

QUOTE (Emy @ Jun 23 2010, 10:46 PM) *
Free spirits don't need to drop their physical form. They're also Magicians, and can therefore throw overcast Stunbolts right back at the mage.

I was more thinking about movement. If the projecting mage casts his spells while moving from cover to cover, an opponent anchored to the physical world cannot keep up with the speed, but another pure astral being can.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Jun 24 2010, 10:16 AM
Post #25

Prime Runner

QUOTE (toturi @ Jun 24 2010, 11:52 AM) *
I would surmise that Dual Natured creatures that are not Mystic Adept/Magicians are swiftly eliminated from the gene pool. Hence we would tend to see (and assume incorrectly) that all Dual Natured creatures like Shapeshifters are bad assed mages, when it is an evolutionary necessity for them and we only see the ones that survive.

Take for example a Mystic Adept Shapeshifter. Against purely astral entities that cast spells, he has access to Magic Resistance (as an Adept power), can learn counterspelling and he doesn't need to buy Astral Perception.
Applying real world logic to game mechanics and trying to create a world model does not work, if you did, we would be playing Ghoulpocalypse and not Shadowrun. The Other Game would be Wraithpocalypse and not D&D.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:11 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.