Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Adept Powers, All suggestions for new powers welcome
McCummhail
post Jun 24 2010, 03:54 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,452

We need more adept powers. The book has a selection of powers, but viewing these as suggestions and not an exhaustive list, I want more.
I also plan on using a string of adept NPCs at my table with the desire to have new, unique, or unusual powers on display.

I got some interesting suggestions from AH's site, which will cover at least one NPC.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: linking fixed
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DrZaius
post Jun 24 2010, 03:59 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 12,360

QUOTE (McCummhail @ Jun 24 2010, 11:54 AM) *
We need more adept powers. The book has a selection of powers, but viewing these as suggestions and not an exhaustive list, I want more.
I also plan on using a string of adept NPCs at my table with the desire to have new, unique, or unusual powers on display.

I got some interesting suggestions from AH's site, which will cover at least one NPC.

Any suggestions?

For some reason your link isn't working for me. I use Daegan's character generator to make guys; it seems to have a large amount of adept powers beyond the core book (probably mostly from street magic). I think it would be useful to think of two new types of adept powers;
1) Powers that replace cyberware
2) Powers that only adepts can do

Which ones are you more interested in? Because thinking up powers to replace cyberware that aren't already listed shouldn't be too tough.

-DrZaius

+Quote Post
FireHand
post Jun 24 2010, 04:01 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 18,748

QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jun 24 2010, 08:59 AM) *
Powers that replace cyberware

I've always felt that adept powers should progressively be able to mimic cyberware. It was one of the reasons, I guess, that I loved mystic armor in SR2... that stuff was powerful!

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Jun 24 2010, 04:29 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,454

I would like something that increases the adept's running speed, maybe based off the movement spirity power (but self only).

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jun 24 2010, 04:45 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

To be honest, I would like Adept Paths to do something, and possibly have some mentor spirits geared towards adepts - or rules for quick-converting existing mentor spirit bonuses to someone who can't cast.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 24 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #6

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Rather than new Adept powers, I'd like to see ways to reduce costs on existing powers, or to otherwise enhance them (such as Adept Paths, already mentioned).

I can't think of too much that I'd like an Adept to be able to do, that he can't do. I really can't. The problem is just that having the points to do it all is often impossible. The abilities are there -- skill bonuses, stat bonuses, sense bonuses, combat bonuses, new senses, new combat tricks, new athletic tricks, you name it -- for everything I can realistically want a character to be able to do...you just can't cram it all into Magic 6.

Increased running speed? There's an AP (Adept Power) for that already. It's not as over-the-top as the Movement power, but it's there. I had an Adept beat a Yamaha Rapier on a footrace, once, and he wasn't even the guy of mine that was specialized in athletics.

Powers that replace cyberware? There's an AP for most of that. Increased Reflexes, raw stat increases, sensory enhancements, increased skill pools, leaping enhancements...sure, not every piece of cyberware is here, but which ones are missing, really? Most of the bonuses given by cyberwear, you can already either mimic by purchasing Adept Powers (sadly often at more cost, which I think is the REAL issue), or by wearing some goggles or something.

+Quote Post
DrZaius
post Jun 24 2010, 05:05 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 24 2010, 11:51 AM) *
Rather than new Adept powers, I'd like to see ways to reduce costs on existing powers, or to otherwise enhance them (such as Adept Paths, already mentioned).

I can't think of too much that I'd like an Adept to be able to do, that he can't do. I really can't. The problem is just that having the points to do it all is often impossible. The abilities are there -- skill bonuses, stat bonuses, sense bonuses, combat bonuses, new senses, new combat tricks, new athletic tricks, you name it -- for everything I can realistically want a character to be able to do...you just can't cram it all into Magic 6.

Increased running speed? There's an AP (Adept Power) for that already. It's not as over-the-top as the Movement power, but it's there. I had an Adept beat a Yamaha Rapier on a footrace, once, and he wasn't even the guy of mine that was specialized in athletics.

Powers that replace cyberware? There's an AP for most of that. Increased Reflexes, raw stat increases, sensory enhancements, increased skill pools, leaping enhancements...sure, not every piece of cyberware is here, but which ones are missing, really? Most of the bonuses given by cyberwear, you can already either mimic by purchasing Adept Powers (sadly often at more cost, which I think is the REAL issue), or by wearing some goggles or something.

I agree with the sentiment. The SR4A has done a bit to reign in costs, but many of the powers are still prohibitively expensive. I'm curious if anyone has done a BP analysis of what each adept power costs.
i.e. Improved Reflexes 1 (1.5 PP) = 15 BP, or 75,000 'yen. Synaptic booster 1 is 80,000 yen, and 0.5 essence (or the equivalent of 0.5 PP).

+Quote Post
Traul
post Jun 24 2010, 05:07 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jun 24 2010, 06:45 PM) *
or rules for quick-converting existing mentor spirit bonuses to someone who can't cast.

That would be easy.

Bonus to Combat spells -> bonus to Firearms and Melee group rolls
Health spells -> Medicine group, soak and healing powers
Illusion -> Stealth and Influence groups
Manipulation -> Athletics group and technical skills
Detection -> Perception and Piloting

If you find it's too much, try to replace the ands with ors.

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Jun 24 2010, 05:10 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jun 24 2010, 10:45 AM) *
To be honest, I would like Adept Paths to do something, and possibly have some mentor spirits geared towards adepts - or rules for quick-converting existing mentor spirit bonuses to someone who can't cast.

While more and differing powers is a good thing, this here is what I think we really need. Adjustments to mentor spirits to allow for adepts to benefit more, or advantages/disadvantages of the Adept Paths similar to the Magical Traditions.

If any dev/freelancer happens by this, I'd pose this question: Why were the paths included with no mechanical in-game impact? I like the fluff, but it's pointless in game.
"I'm a Warrior Way Adept"
"Cool. So you're better at combat than that other adept over there?"
"Uh, no. It just means I like to fight sometimes."
"So you don't get special training or anything?"
"Nope. Just a cool title."

There's an AP (Adept Power) for that

Please please please don't let that catch on.

+Quote Post
McCummhail
post Jun 24 2010, 05:13 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jun 24 2010, 11:59 AM) *
For some reason your link isn't working for me. [snip]
1) Powers that replace cyberware
2) Powers that only adepts can do
[snip]
-DrZaius

Thanks for the heads up.
I think that #1 is covered fairly well already.
In cases where it isn't covered (tails, nano-tattoos, transhuman things mainly), surge or classic body mods are more suitable.

I am looking more for #2. Things like wall run, combat sense, elemental strike, or other powers that are interesting and unique to adepts.

+Quote Post
Gamer6432
post Jun 24 2010, 05:30 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,325

QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 24 2010, 09:51 AM) *

<snip>

...you just can't cram it all into Magic 6.

While I like the idea, I'm not sure it wouldn't upset the balance of the game (magic is already widely considered overpowered). If you want more than 6 power points, initiate. Sure you can't do it at character creation, but for that first run you're not supposed to be the penultimate badass who can go toe-to-toe with a Great Old One and win. The guy who's played a character through more than a few campaigns and earned 300+ Karma? Yeah, I'd expect him to be able to open a can of whup ass on most things, but not the character who's just starting out.

+Quote Post
DrZaius
post Jun 24 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

QUOTE (McCummhail @ Jun 24 2010, 12:13 PM) *
Thanks for the heads up.
I think that #1 is covered fairly well already.
In cases where it isn't covered (tails, nano-tattoos, transhuman things mainly), surge or classic body mods are more suitable.

I am looking more for #2. Things like wall run, combat sense, elemental strike, or other powers that are interesting and unique to adepts.

What about a series of Adept powers tied to specific mentor spirits? I think "Berserk" is in street magic already, but more like that could be interesting...

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jun 24 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,749

The tough part is coming up with adept powers that aren't already: Critter powers, Spirit powers, or Spells. Being creative is hard.

Not that I'm against using any of these AS adept powers.

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Jun 24 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 24 2010, 05:51 PM) *
Increased running speed? There's an AP (Adept Power) for that already.

Which power is this?

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jun 24 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #15

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Not a new power, but an adaptation of paths and existing powers, based loosely off of something from SOTA64; I had an adept that was loosely based off of the Beast Master idea, adopted into an adept Path. Went with Killing Hands+Elemental Strike (metal) to get some claws that did serious damage along with tearing up armor. There's easier ways to do it (penetrating strike) but it ended up being more versatile.

Body Sculpt You can do it with bioware. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to modify the body the same way you can with facial sculpt. .5 PP - Same as Facial Sculpt, and requires having Facial Sculpt.

Face Anonymous .5 - The adept tends to not get noticed. -2 to perception tests to spot/pick them out when moving in the open. Cameras don't pick up their face, even if the rest of themis sighted normally. Think Blandness with an adept boost. I know I've seen a version of this somewhere.

There's no reason that Traceless Walk should cost a full power point. It gives a +4 to checks against hearing the adept. You can see them just fine. It works great in conjuction with a chameleon suit, preferrably with thermal dampening. You can buy those, and they are a ton cheaper than in previous editions. So why is this power still so damn expensive? It has the added bonus of not leaving foot prints or setting off pressure pads. Cool, so you're Legolas. It's, in my experience at least, extremely rare to actually see pressure pads used (honestly, I'm the only GM I have ever seen use them. YMMV). This is a niche power and very much inflated price wise.

With this in mind, there's really no reason that you shouldn't be able to have some sort of chameleon power. There's the changeling quality, which basically requires you to be naked. Not so useful. Allowing that Distance Strike, at great expense, lets you do something beyond your body, you could allow that a higher point cost (1 point) should allow you to use a chameleon ability covering your equipment. Mages can do full invisibilty, the chameleon suit can give you a +4 by making you near invisible. One requires drain, one requires batteries and gear. The adept power would require neither, so there is a definite edge there, which is mitigated by a higher point cost.

Just some thoughts on ways to take powers and abilities with precedence and convert to adept abilities or advance existing ones.

+Quote Post
Mystweaver
post Jun 24 2010, 06:23 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,383

QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Jun 24 2010, 05:29 PM) *
I would like something that increases the adept's running speed, maybe based off the movement spirity power (but self only).

In SR3 there is a power called "Sprint" which increases your quickness for the purposes of running only by 1 per 0.5 magic.

Other powers for someone who likes to change identity; In conjunction with Malnine Control (change skin tone), Facial Scupt, add to it "Hair Growth" for 0.5 magic.

Advance upon distance strike - spend more points on it and develop it through roleplay to allow it bypass armour - then walls. Go so far as being able to reach INTO your target and you can do a called shot on their heart!... Yep, thats gonna hurt! Force grip kinda stuff.

Advance wall running to wall walking then standing. Likewise with water running.

Ultrasound sight is always nice.

Advance increased reflexes to a level above the max in the book for a hideous points cost.

When I get home, I'll pull out some more ideas from the woodwork......

+Quote Post
McCummhail
post Jun 24 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Here is an idea for a power:
Speak with Animals - .5 PP
Requires at least 1 level of Kinesics and Animal Empathy.
An adept with this power is able to communicate with animals in a rudimentary fashion.
For complex communication or delicate topics, the GM may call for a Magic + Animal Empathy test to determine the efficacy of communication.
This power does not grant the ability to communicate with spirits, sprites or other entities.

Also, I was checking my books for what powers are available and found this:

QUOTE (Running Wild)
Power Bleed
The adept metamagic technique Power Bleed allows
a trained adept to rip the magic out of a critter and
grants that ability to the adept. Power Bleed allows the
transfer of only Paranormal powers. An adept cannot
gain Mundane or Emergent powers through the use of
this metamagic technique.

So finding powers that aren't already critter powers isn't an issue,
I'll just take critter powers!

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jun 24 2010, 06:27 PM
Post #18

Uncle Fisty

QUOTE (Mystweaver @ Jun 24 2010, 01:23 PM) *
In SR3 there is a power called "Sprint" which increases your quickness for the purposes of running only by 1 per 0.5 magic.

Improved Ability - Running .25 - SR4
Not perfect, but it helps.

+Quote Post
Makki
post Jun 24 2010, 06:28 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

Phasing
Cost: 1
Adepts with the Phasing power have the ability to physically
pass through solid materials. They can penetrate (Magic) points
of non-living structure per combat turn. They can't take
anything with them unless Essence was paid for it, this includes
clothing.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jun 24 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #20

Uncle Fisty

QUOTE (McCummhail @ Jun 24 2010, 01:26 PM) *
Also, I was checking my books for what powers are available and found this:

Missed that one. Page reference?

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jun 24 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #21

Uncle Fisty

QUOTE (Makki @ Jun 24 2010, 01:28 PM) *
Phasing
Cost: 1
Adepts with the Phasing power have the ability to physically
pass through solid materials. They can penetrate (Magic) points
of structure per combat turn.

Another good reason to have wards.

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Jun 24 2010, 06:30 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Jun 24 2010, 07:27 PM) *
Improved Ability - Running .25 - SR4
Not perfect, but it helps.

What about actually increasing your movement rate, similar to Celerity or raptor legs? That would at least mimic cyberware.

+Quote Post
McCummhail
post Jun 24 2010, 06:30 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Jun 24 2010, 02:29 PM) *
Missed that one. Page reference?

Page 204. It is quite randomly placed in there.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jun 24 2010, 06:34 PM
Post #24

Uncle Fisty

Yeah just found it. Reference back to Street Magic page 140 for the original (3 boxes physical damage inflicted for one Critter Power). Not something you're going to want to do to a pet.

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis)
What about actually increasing your movement rate, similar to Celerity or raptor legs? That would at least mimic cyberware.

Makes sense. I'd say .5 since the quailty requires a 5BP cost plus the cost of a changeling, and the cyber requires cyber legs.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 24 2010, 06:38 PM
Post #25

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jun 24 2010, 02:30 PM) *

Right, but the problem with mimicking cyberware is that how do you handle it when someone takes this wiz new Adept power and Sprint and Improved Athletics and a set of Raptor Legs and Celerity[/i] and on and on and on?

Part of balancing a game has to be...well...being concerned with game balance. Someone can already get several Adept powers to increase jumping, and then stack it with cyberlimbs and their attached goodies. Do we need the same for running speed, so folks can outright go supersonic on foot?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:57 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.