Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Resource Rush legacy, Oil in the Sixth World
Neruda's Ghost
post Feb 26 2004, 10:29 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,913

I just need any canon references or general consensus about these questions; I apologize beforehand if they are in Target:Wastelands or previously discussed.

a) Which megas inherited the old Fifth World petrochemical companies such as Exxon, Shell, etc.? Is oil still as high of an asset to the megas of the Sixth World? Are the petrochem companies still centered in RL regions such as the Middle East? What percentage of the world uses fossil fuels in the Sixth World; and are there still petrol stations in major cities?
b) What ended the Resource Race (was is all the Awakening; or did the resources start to run out; did the megas settle it between themselves?), for that matter who can claim to have come out of the race winners?
c) What happened to the old fears about the ozone layer melting the polar caps, I'm assuming that Amazonia has put a stop to rainforest depletion, but was that enough?
d) What's stopping the US (or any other country for that matter) from sparking another Resource Rush? Can the Corp Court really control all governments to prevent this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 26 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Well, for petrochemical the big one is Saeder-Krupp. Not sure about your other questions offhand *goes to dig out books* :read:

~J

+Quote Post
Nath
post Feb 26 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

Known big boys in the oil industry in SR are Saeder-Krupp, United Oil Industries, Global Oil and Exxoco Petrochem.

If you ask me, I would see S-K buying out Russian oil companies rather than the British. Also having the "SKoil" name tossed around would be a funny reference for those who can catch it. But so far we only know S-K owns some subsidiary called Fatima Petrochemicals and pulls the political string in the Middle East. The text in Target: Wastelands seems to suggest S-K plays that role but doesn't suck the oil itself. Maybe it has more a Bechtel-type role.

The three other I named are all Texan companies. United Oil seems to be the biggest of the three if you count the number of references (Man & Machine says it is "one of the longest-lived" oilco), and played a key role in the Ressource Rush. Concerning Exxoco, I guess the writer meant the merger of Exxon-Mobil and BP-Amoco or Exxon-Mobil and Conoco-Phillips (I personally prefer the second one : if two former merged, that wouldn't leave much room for competition).

Aztechnology also operates the Pemex (Petroleum Mexicano). There are smaller companies mentionned elsewhere, Gulfstar Inc. in Louisiana ; Bathotech, an UCAS company operating in northern ex-Canada.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 27 2004, 12:08 AM
Post #4

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

the only thing that halted and are still holding back the resource rush are native tribes backed by magic and the new wildness of nature (now we actualy have stuff going around that can kill entire workcrews so...)

as for corp court holding back any resource rush. why whould they bother? theyre entire reason for existing is to help the corps prosper. so unless its going to totaly get of hand they dont care.

hmm, i dont think there is any cannon refrence to the status of the ozone layer in any book. unless its in target:watelands (one book i think i may need to get, on top of sprawl survival guilde and shadows of europe).

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Feb 27 2004, 12:14 AM
Post #5

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

AG Chemie Europa and Zeta-ImpChem, both AA Euro corps IIRC, have a large slice of the North Sea oil and gas fields along with SK. Other oil prducing areas like Brunei are likely to have been snapped up buy one of the Japanese Megacorporations. Siberia is meant to have the motherlode from what I've heard but the weather and the local political climate make it much harder to exploit.

How important is oil anyway? Didn't one of the books mention something about their being able to synthesise something similar so there was less demand?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 27 2004, 12:38 AM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Target: Wastelands does mention that the ozone layer's in bad shape, though I don't remember if it says anything more in-depth than that.

~J

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 27 2004, 01:29 AM
Post #7

Guests

d) What's stopping the US (or any other country for that matter) from sparking another Resource Rush? Can the Corp Court really control all governments to prevent this?

The UCAS has pretty much used up all of its natural resources. SoNA.

Isn't petroleum used in making most if not all plastics? I'd say that's pretty damn important in SR.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 27 2004, 01:49 AM
Post #8

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I thought there was also some mention of the Ozone Hole in Target: Awakened Lands.

+Quote Post
Swansonegger
post Feb 27 2004, 05:57 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 1,576

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Isn't petroleum used in making most if not all plastics? I'd say that's pretty damn important in SR.

Very true, however there is also a lot of research going into bio-hydrocarbons. I would say 50 to 60 years in the future, oil wouldn't have anywhere near the demand we see today (and will likely peak at in 2020 or so), replaced by these bio-hydrocarbons and a myriad of other materials that today's scientists and engineers are working on. So oil would have nowhere near the economic/stragetic need it has in the modern era. I would say arable land and fresh water would be more important.

And a lot of the areas listed as oil areas would be bone dry by the SR era. The Middle East will be done in a few scant decades, as well as the North Sea (although they keep seeming to find stuff in the deeper basins).

My guess on the oil "hotspots" are the oilsands in present day northern Alberta (Athabasca-Manitou Council?), oilsands in Venezuela, West Coast of North America, remote parts of Russia, Indonesia/Australia offshore (deep basins), and other deep sea sedimentary basins.

+Quote Post
leemur
post Feb 27 2004, 06:31 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 5,803

You know, the first three or four times I looked at the title, I thought it said 'Resource Bush Legacy.

Which still kind of makes sense, really :)

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post Feb 27 2004, 08:09 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,491

QUOTE (leemur)
You know, the first three or four times I looked at the title, I thought it said 'Resource Bu$h Legacy.

Which still kind of makes sense, really :)

Damn right! Bu$h is a fool, and a puppet of fools! PEOPLE OVER PROFIT!

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 27 2004, 08:50 AM
Post #12

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Huh? I'm damned glad Saddam's gone... however they did it.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 27 2004, 09:14 AM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

Much as I agree with the sentiment, SimonW, I'd prefer not to turn this thread into a flamewar.

~J

+Quote Post
Neruda's Ghost
post Feb 27 2004, 02:59 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 5,913

Much obliged for the responses, folks.

+Quote Post
Playing Games
post Feb 27 2004, 07:30 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,500

QUOTE (toturi)
Huh? I'm damned glad Saddam's gone... however they did it.

And what of the other bad men in power in that part of the world?What of the ones who are worse?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2024 - 12:45 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.