Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Form of a lion!, Shapechange & possession
Laodicea
post Jul 2 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,749

So, How about a magician character that shapechanges into a great cat, and has conjured a possession spirit to possess themself?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any rules or mechanics that this would violate. It's kind of twinkerifick. Also neat to RP.

I believe this thing would have no attribute caps.

The only real question I have about it is which skills would you get? for example, as a great cat, you would receive infiltration. The possessing spirit may not have that skill. So do you get the skills from: the cat? the spirit? yourself? all?

other important question: on the stats for a great cat it lists the damage for its unarmed attack as 5p. It doesn't mention str or anything. I'm wondering if that was for expediency. Surely its str/2 + claw/bite DV. But, this character might be capped at 5p damage.

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lansdren
post Jul 2 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,848

Interesting but I can see some form of orbital bovine launcher being used on the player. Also I'm not sure if a mage can sustain a spell on themselves whilse being possesed.

+Quote Post
D2F
post Jul 2 2010, 02:51 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,001

QUOTE (Lansdren @ Jul 2 2010, 03:06 PM) *
Interesting but I can see some form of orbital bovine launcher being used on the player. Also I'm not sure if a mage can sustain a spell on themselves whilse being possesed.

I am not aware of any rules that would forbid it. Even then, there would still be sustaining foci...

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 2 2010, 03:47 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

I've made several edits above the raise questions and issues.

+Quote Post
Lansdren
post Jul 2 2010, 03:52 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

ok further thoughts based on your edits,

Skills - You keep your own and dont get any extra ones from the spell. If you dont have infiltration you dont get it just because a real cat has (it had to learn it like all other animals), But as per the spell you do get the enhanced senses and any natural weapons

Attribute caps - Nope seems like their wouldnt be as the limiting factor will be sustaining plus the drain

Unarmed Damage - It would make sense to recalculate the damage based on the upped stats in my mind.

I'm still not down with the whole cast it to boost yourself then get possesed too. It seems so very very silly.

+Quote Post
Caadium
post Jul 2 2010, 04:40 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,646

QUOTE (Lansdren @ Jul 2 2010, 07:52 AM) *
ok further thoughts based on your edits,

Skills - You keep your own and dont get any extra ones from the spell. If you dont have infiltration you dont get it just because a real cat has (it had to learn it like all other animals), But as per the spell you do get the enhanced senses and any natural weapons

Attribute caps - Nope seems like their wouldnt be as the limiting factor will be sustaining plus the drain

Unarmed Damage - It would make sense to recalculate the damage based on the upped stats in my mind.

I'm still not down with the whole cast it to boost yourself then get possesed too. It seems so very very silly.

Once a body is possessed, the character is not in control, but instead the spirit is. Since the spirit is a different entity, they will have different motivations and tactics. If a player at my tables tries to use possession just to buff themselves then I will simply start taking control of the character any time its possessed.

Here is some food for thought: When you summon a spirit, if you pass out there is a chance it might attack you. Why would this potential level of animosity change just because the summoner had the spirit possess them? My take on it, to be honest, is that if a spirit possesses a summoner, you should treat the spirit just as you would if the summoner blacked out during summoning/binding. This means, if the spirit has animosity towards the caster, you've given an enemy control over your entire physical being.

I'm going to have to reread summoning and possession, but as I recall it, that would be my general approach. That being said, take the drain from shapechange, suffer the sustaining penalties while summoning and resisting drain, just to let a foriegn (possibly hostile) entity take control of your being. Go right ahead and have some fun with that.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 2 2010, 04:50 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

I'm not sure I get why you're saying there's no augmented maximums with this combination. Is this some silly "critters don't have maximums" argument?

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 2 2010, 05:21 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Caadium @ Jul 2 2010, 10:40 AM) *
Once a body is possessed, the character is not in control, but instead the spirit is. Since the spirit is a different entity, they will have different motivations and tactics. If a player at my tables tries to use possession just to buff themselves then I will simply start taking control of the character any time its possessed.

Here is some food for thought: When you summon a spirit, if you pass out there is a chance it might attack you. Why would this potential level of animosity change just because the summoner had the spirit possess them? My take on it, to be honest, is that if a spirit possesses a summoner, you should treat the spirit just as you would if the summoner blacked out during summoning/binding. This means, if the spirit has animosity towards the caster, you've given an enemy control over your entire physical being.

I'm going to have to reread summoning and possession, but as I recall it, that would be my general approach. That being said, take the drain from shapechange, suffer the sustaining penalties while summoning and resisting drain, just to let a foriegn (possibly hostile) entity take control of your being. Go right ahead and have some fun with that.

You should re-read those rules. It recommends letting the player roleplay the spirit in possession. For as long as the magician is owed services by the spirit, the magician is essentially at the helm.

Sustaining foci could probably take care of any sustaining issues.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 2 2010, 05:22 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jul 2 2010, 10:50 AM) *
I'm not sure I get why you're saying there's no augmented maximums with this combination. Is this some silly "critters don't have maximums" argument?

Show me a rule where they do. Also take a look at the shapechange spell and the bonus attribute points you get for physical stats with each hit.

+Quote Post
Caadium
post Jul 2 2010, 05:26 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,646

QUOTE (Laodicea @ Jul 2 2010, 09:21 AM) *
You should re-read those rules. It recommends letting the player roleplay the spirit in possession. For as long as the magician is owed services by the spirit, the magician is essentially at the helm.

Sustaining foci could probably take care of any sustaining issues.

Its been a while since I read possession, it appears that if a summoner is possessed by a spirit he summons they remain aware and able to issue commands to the spirit possessing them. So, I guess that above post is moot. I guess I'm once again reminded that I'm lucky in that my players don't ever really force me look at them goofy and give a "here's why I'm going to say no" talk.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 2 2010, 05:32 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

No, the burden is on you to show where the spell says you stop being a metahuman and where it says you can ignore your augmented maximums. Spell effects give specific exceptions to the base rules; meaning if it's not expressly written in the description, it's not an exception. They don't ignore all rules and only abide by the ones outlined in the description as if it existed in a bubble.

Yes, the spell changes you into a critter. No, it doesn't say you're no longer considered a metahuman. Yes, it changes your base attributes for the duration of the spell. No, it says nothing about ignoring the rules for augmented maximums.

Pixies, Centaurs, and Naga are all critters, too. They don't get to ignore the augmented maximums either. Nor do actual Shapeshifters.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 2 2010, 05:48 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jul 2 2010, 11:32 AM) *
No, the burden is on you to show where the spell says you stop being a metahuman and where it says you can ignore your augmented maximums. Spell effects give specific exceptions to the base rules; meaning if it's not expressly written in the description, it's not an exception. They don't ignore all rules and only abide by the ones outlined in the description as if it existed in a bubble.

Yes, the spell changes you into a critter. No, it doesn't say you're no longer considered a metahuman. Yes, it changes your base attributes for the duration of the spell. No, it says nothing about ignoring the rules for augmented maximums.

Pixies, Centaurs, and Naga are all critters, too. They don't get to ignore the augmented maximums either. Nor do actual Shapeshifters.

Fair point. I will however point out that sapient critters like that are potential PCs, so they took the time to write attribute caps. I do wonder what the attribute cap on a great cat would be, had they bothered with writing them. I'm not entirely sure the metahuman attribute caps would apply. Shapechanging into a dracoform changes your caps.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 2 2010, 05:55 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Caadium @ Jul 2 2010, 11:26 AM) *
Its been a while since I read possession, it appears that if a summoner is possessed by a spirit he summons they remain aware and able to issue commands to the spirit possessing them. So, I guess that above post is moot. I guess I'm once again reminded that I'm lucky in that my players don't ever really force me look at them goofy and give a "here's why I'm going to say no" talk.

It is pretty ridiculously twinkeriffic. However, it's not outside the realms of roleplayability. He's a shaman from Africa, he deifies Lions, and other great animals. When he shifts into their physical form, he also likes to take on the spirit of the beast.

Besides, if you put him in an urban environment he can't exactly be a lion the whole time. And if you twink him for lion form, his physical attributes will probably be fairly bad...i mean he'll have to have 4 body, but still.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Jul 2 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (Laodicea @ Jul 2 2010, 02:48 PM) *
Fair point. I will however point out that sapient critters like that are potential PCs, so they took the time to write attribute caps. I do wonder what the attribute cap on a great cat would be, had they bothered with writing them. I'm not entirely sure the metahuman attribute caps would apply. Shapechanging into a dracoform changes your caps.

A great cat is no different than a jaguar/lion shapeshifter, use those augmented maximum then.

+Quote Post
D2F
post Jul 3 2010, 12:52 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Laodicea @ Jul 2 2010, 06:48 PM) *
I do wonder what the attribute cap on a great cat would be, had they bothered with writing them.

My personal (subjective) recomendation: Critter attributes x 1.5

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 3 2010, 08:19 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Just to take this one level of retardedness further: I see nothing stopping you from casting touch combat spells when you attack in lion form. You could do it, or the possessing spirit could.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 3 2010, 09:47 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (D2F @ Jul 2 2010, 06:52 PM) *
My personal (subjective) recomendation: Critter attributes x 1.5

Maybe. If we assume it's an "average" member of their species, than it'd be more like critter attribute X3. "average" human = 3, maximum human = 9.

+Quote Post
D2F
post Jul 3 2010, 02:02 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Laodicea @ Jul 3 2010, 10:47 AM) *
Maybe. If we assume it's an "average" member of their species, than it'd be more like critter attribute X3. "average" human = 3, maximum human = 9.

That's why it's just a recomendation =)
If you want it more in line with the core rules, make it:

(Critter Attribute + 3) x 1.5

+Quote Post
Lansdren
post Jul 3 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

at the end of the day you would have to becasting the spell at force six or more to really be at risk of throwing the stats out of the range for augmented maximums for anything bigger then wolf / large cat. for something tiny like the rodents and such its more like anything above force four is silly but you get where I'm going with this.

A mage shaping himself into lion at force five is a pretty scary prospect

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 3 2010, 03:56 PM
Post #20

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Honestly, I'm way more scared of a metahuman, but whatever you're into. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Lansdren
post Jul 3 2010, 04:05 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 3 2010, 04:56 PM) *
Honestly, I'm way more scared of a metahuman, but whatever you're into. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Lion as a base

B6 A5 R4 S5 with 2IPs

Upped by a force five spell gives you a mage

B11 A10 R9 S10 plus mental attributes which could be around
C3 In4 L5 W5 M5 Plus the 2IPs

Odds are that guy will go first in combat and can still cast in that form

That is pretty scary. A base line human would be B8 A8 R8 S8 at force five and only have 1IP which granted is still pretty worrying

+Quote Post
blackwulf
post Jul 3 2010, 04:12 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 18,699

I would suspect there would be a very good chance for the spirit to break free and keep the body. As I recall bound spirits are frequently honked off.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 3 2010, 04:54 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (Lansdren @ Jul 3 2010, 10:05 AM) *
Lion as a base

B6 A5 R4 S5 with 2IPs

Upped by a force five spell gives you a mage

B11 A10 R9 S10 plus mental attributes which could be around
C3 In4 L5 W5 M5 Plus the 2IPs

Odds are that guy will go first in combat and can still cast in that form

That is pretty scary. A base line human would be B8 A8 R8 S8 at force five and only have 1IP which granted is still pretty worrying

Yes. Very scary indeed. Add to that a force 4 spirit in possession.
B15 A14 R13 S14 C4 L4 W4 M4, and +8 hardened armor from immunity to normal damage.
This lion is now actually more powerful than a dragon.(not a Great Dragon)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 3 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #24

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Yes, but it's still just a big animal. The spirit's doing most of the work, and the metahuman would get that equally… and be able to carry guns. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 4 2010, 05:42 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 3 2010, 05:34 PM) *
Yes, but it's still just a big animal. The spirit's doing most of the work, and the metahuman would get that equally… and be able to carry guns. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yeah, shapechanging into a metahuman may be better, since you could still wear armor. However, shapechanging into a metahuman just for the attribute boost seems far more lame than using a critter form, to me.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:50 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.