Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ritual Binding Materials, Consumed?
biccat
post Jul 7 2010, 12:56 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,195

For spirit binding, it seems like the ritual binding materials would be consumed, but I can't find the reference. Any help?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trevalier
post Jul 7 2010, 01:39 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 18,116

It doesn't say so explicitly under Binding, but the Rebinding section on page 189 of SR4A says, "The test requires another ritual taking a number of hours equal to the current Force of the spirit, requiring the same materials as before (at 500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) per point of the spirit's Force)." To me, that implies that the materials are expended in the ritual, and if you want to perform another ritual (even to rebind the same spirit), you need to buy more materials.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 7 2010, 01:55 AM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

It may be one of those rules that's so obvious it's not written down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Does the book actually *say* that ammo gets used up?

+Quote Post
biccat
post Jul 7 2010, 02:02 AM
Post #4

Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 7 2010, 02:55 AM) *
It may be one of those rules that's so obvious it's not written down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Does the book actually *say* that ammo gets used up?

Well firearms are obvious, of course the bullets get used up (although I suppose you could pry the projectile out of the wall/someone's body and reform a bullet).

However, it's not obvious that ritual binding materials get used up. They could be candles, incense, or other consumables, or they could be sculptures, paintings, and representative elements (silver cup for an air elemental, gold for fire, etc.) that attune the magician to the spirit.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 7 2010, 02:08 AM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

As long as your *money* vanishes, you can fluff it however you like, I guess. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) The permanent items, IMO, constitute a Lodge, not binding materials.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jul 8 2010, 01:49 PM
Post #6

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (biccat @ Jul 6 2010, 08:02 PM) *
Well firearms are obvious, of course the bullets get used up (although I suppose you could pry the projectile out of the wall/someone's body and reform a bullet).

However, it's not obvious that ritual binding materials get used up. They could be candles, incense, or other consumables, or they could be sculptures, paintings, and representative elements (silver cup for an air elemental, gold for fire, etc.) that attune the magician to the spirit.

If they were not used up, then after the initial Binding Ritual subsequent Rituals would be "free". And all subsequent Binding Rituals. Which in effect would make all Binding Rituals free. At which point, why bother having an initial cost listed and not described as such?

+Quote Post
SaintHax
post Jul 8 2010, 02:09 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,602

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 6 2010, 09:55 PM) *

Though for firearms we have real world logic. I've personally never seen a spirit binding work IRL (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I've always assumed (for game purposes) it get's consumed.

+Quote Post
biccat
post Jul 8 2010, 05:23 PM
Post #8

Target

QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jul 8 2010, 01:49 PM) *
If they were not used up, then after the initial Binding Ritual subsequent Rituals would be "free". And all subsequent Binding Rituals. Which in effect would make all Binding Rituals free. At which point, why bother having an initial cost listed and not described as such?

Probably for the same reasons that firearms, despite having an initial cost, are not used up when they are used.

See also: vehicles, magical lodge materials, spells, and commlinks.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 8 2010, 07:48 PM
Post #9

Advocatus Diaboli

That's the whole point. Binding materials are, and have always been, 'ammo', not 'guns'.

+Quote Post
chinagreenelvis
post Jul 8 2010, 08:42 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,253

If you have to pay nuyen in order to rebind, that seems to imply that you're purchasing more materials. I think what it probably means to say is that whatever type of item you used as materials in the first binding - say, incense - then you would have to use incense in the rebinding.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 8 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #11

Advocatus Diaboli

Hehe, let's assume that you have to buy more, but also that they're not consumed. I have this image of a crazy 'hoarder' conjurer… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Jul 9 2010, 04:02 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

The pack-rat shaman has been done...frequently.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 9 2010, 07:51 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Jul 9 2010, 11:02 AM) *
The pack-rat shaman has been done...frequently.

Yeah, but how many have NOT been Rat Shamans? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 9 2010, 07:56 PM
Post #14

Advocatus Diaboli

Yeah, but how many have done it because of an error in game rules? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jul 9 2010, 09:36 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 8 2010, 08:53 PM) *
Hehe, let's assume that you have to buy more, but also that they're not consumed. I have this image of a crazy 'hoarder' conjurer… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

They're otherwise known as 'talismongers', Yera. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 9 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #16

Advocatus Diaboli

GROAN. They're supposed to mong them, not hoard them.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jul 9 2010, 09:42 PM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

Supposed to. I haven't known any to be out of stock of anything.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.