IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Group Hacking, Its a party when people join in.
Androcomputus
post Jul 11 2010, 05:19 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,211

I was talking to my players and brought up the key problem with hackers from this thread Here. A solution that we thought of was to have everyone take some gear that allows them to hack into the matrix.

While they are not throwing 20 dice, they do get to perform basic functions. In addition, this encourages team work as the team hacker can create back doors, weaken security, and help the party through the matrix to the point where they are successful. By treating the matrix as another battleground of a combat encounter, everyone gets to be in the spot light. Mechanically, once the team hacker has crippled the net security, throwing a few dice or using an agent basically gives the team more actions on the net. Instead of 3 to 5 IP you have about 6 to 11 IPs...

Just like the Street Sams and Adepts, who dominate combat while everyone sits on their hands, support the non-combat people. What I plan on this to do is give those non-combat characters a weapon capable of full-auto or drones. This allows the other players to participate in something and contribute even though they are not throwing 20 dice...

What do you guys think of this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Jul 11 2010, 05:22 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 6,651

My players hangups with the Matrix have always been pacing. If you can go around the table giving everyone an action (init order if in rounds, if noncombat then just literally around the table) so that gets them more interested. If players want to be matrix-goons, let em but not all players are willing to do it ya know?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 11 2010, 05:38 PM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

I thought everyone *did* have some gear that lets them hack. You don't need much.

+Quote Post
Androcomputus
post Jul 11 2010, 05:54 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

My group and I are new to the game so we brought modified sample characters... So I understand that this is pretty common?

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Jul 11 2010, 05:55 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

The big issue is if someone who's already inside a node can help others get past the firewall. Having a bunch of teammates in AR to soak up IC attacks could be useful while the hacker does the real work.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 11 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #6

Advocatus Diaboli

Multiple attackers definitely distracts defenders and resources. It's also less stealthy, just like in meatspace. I think this is a fun way to play. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Hack the Gibson!

+Quote Post
Androcomputus
post Jul 11 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

That is what I was thinking, in addition after the hacker breaks in and weakens security, they could break into other less sensitive areas without having to rely on the hacker to do everything. Again, so he can focus on more important things.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 11 2010, 06:03 PM
Post #8

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 11 2010, 08:00 PM) *
Hack the Gibson!

glad i am not the only one with that movie tattooed to the brain.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Jul 11 2010, 07:08 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jul 11 2010, 08:03 PM) *
glad i am not the only one with that movie tattooed to the brain.

It's a good example of how to make hacking fun at the low, low price of realism.

+Quote Post
Lanlaorn
post Jul 11 2010, 07:17 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,737

More like scarred for life, that movie is an embarrassment to anyone who's even touched a computer.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 11 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #11

panda!

funny thing is, such elements like the cookie monster "virus" are based on real life stuff. The presentation is just way more graphical so that the non-geeks have eyecandy on hand. Basically the same as explosions in a action movie.

+Quote Post
Androcomputus
post Jul 12 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Looked up the Phrase, "Hack the Gibson"... I love it... I was Born in the 90s but I am making sure that I use it at the Table.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 12 2010, 12:16 AM
Post #13

Advocatus Diaboli

See also 'Burning Chrome'. Required knowledge. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 12 2010, 02:21 AM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jul 11 2010, 10:55 AM) *
The big issue is if someone who's already inside a node can help others get past the firewall. Having a bunch of teammates in AR to soak up IC attacks could be useful while the hacker does the real work.

There are tools that disable a Firewall... The Sapper Trojan is a good example (page 124, Unwired)... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Lanlaorn
post Jul 12 2010, 02:41 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

The works of William Gibson are excellent but just because a bad movie references him with one line doesn't make it a good movie lol.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 12 2010, 02:43 AM
Post #16

Advocatus Diaboli

Psh. It's a *classically* bad movie. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) That's a whole other kind of good.

+Quote Post
Martin_DeVries_I...
post Jul 12 2010, 04:42 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,684

Yes. Hackers (and Johnny Mnemonic, while we're tangentially on the subject) are horrible, horrible movies. But they are horrible in an awesome way.

+Quote Post
Lanlaorn
post Jul 12 2010, 05:34 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Johnny Mnemonic is such a shame, too. The premise is great and they just tacked on a retarded plot. I mean who in their right mind replaces everyone's favorite mirrorshade razorgirl with that terrible character, ugh.

+Quote Post
Simon Kerimov
post Jul 12 2010, 05:38 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,806

"I keep telling the goons, 'Look guys, you yutz around in AR all the time, right? We built the goddamn Matrix like the goddamn physical world because people fracking remember it. You are always in the goddamn Matrix, and if you don't know it, that makes you utterly batfracked. Keep your goddamn comm-channels shut, or put a fracking Agent into it. The Black Hat in your party had better not have to carry your goddamn weight in the goddamn Matrix or you are all goddamn dead! On the bounce, soldier!' occasionally they actually hear me. You can tell which ones do, since they aren't dead."

//Physical Actions can be Matrix Actions with AR. If the meat and the magic in the party aren't helping the matrix, the designated hacker isn't making good enough use of his people resources.

+Quote Post
Martin_DeVries_I...
post Jul 12 2010, 05:52 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,684

QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jul 11 2010, 10:34 PM) *
Johnny Mnemonic is such a shame, too. The premise is great and they just tacked on a retarded plot. I mean who in their right mind replaces everyone's favorite mirrorshade razorgirl with that terrible character, ugh.

Not that I want to jump to that movie's defense, but that wasn't entirely their fault. The rights to Molly were owned by another company, because one company bought Neuromancer (and the rights to all of its characters, including Molly) years before Johnny Mnemonic was sold. JM's makers had to replace her. (Fifteen years later and we still haven't seen Neuromancer onscreen...)

OTOH we did end up with Henry Rollins, Ice-T, and Dolph "I'm secretly a genius" Lundgren. And Takeshi Kitano! So maybe it was a worthy tradeoff?

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Jul 12 2010, 08:51 AM
Post #21

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jul 11 2010, 09:17 PM) *
More like scarred for life, that movie is an embarrassment to anyone who's even touched a computer.

Only those that take think ment as entertaiment way too seriously.
Hackers is a hella good movie and in many ways pretty realistic just a whole lot more graphic becouse who in their right mind would want to watch a command rompt for half a movie.

+Quote Post
Lanlaorn
post Jul 12 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Only those that take think ment as entertaiment way too seriously.
Hackers is a hella good movie and in many ways pretty realistic just a whole lot more graphic becouse who in their right mind would want to watch a command rompt for half a movie.

I just don't understand the need for people to defend stupid movies. At least you didn't tell me to "turn off my brain". And it's funny because if the camera work was shoddy and the special effects terrible no one says to "turn off your eyes", but yet we're somehow supposed to forgive idiotic plots and dialogue?

Look, the unrealistic hacking was the least of that movie's problems. The terrible acting, dialogue and primitive story were the biggest offenders, I've seen more depth in children's television. Every time the villain opens his mouth in that movie, it's cringeworthy. While I agree that Hackers eventually crosses the suck event horizon into "So Bad It's Hilarious" territory, it is by no stretch of the imagination a "hella good movie".

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 12 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #23

panda!

heh, i always considered the overly dramatic villain a planned element.

basically a case of the guy taking himself way to seriously thanks to landing a job as head of the IT department.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 12 2010, 03:08 PM
Post #24

Advocatus Diaboli

If you can't enjoy that kind of movie, it's your loss. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Lanlaorn
post Jul 12 2010, 03:18 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Well I can enjoy them, like I said "So Bad It's Hilarious", it's just I can't take seriously any defense of them.

If you really want to see me rant we can talk about the Starship Troopers movie. Talk about plot and character butchery. Those dumb motherfuckers didn't even make a good "dumb action movie", and seriously, cutting the powered armor? Madness. Heinlein is probably still spinning in his grave.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:10 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.