post Jul 12 2010, 08:10 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,848

I prefer both ends of the spectrum,

Pink mohawk for the laughs
Cold Pro for the well put together plan and the drama

But most sessions start as one and ends as the other because both are just so much fun
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jul 12 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #3

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

Right, it's a nice blend. pink mohawks are fun opening gambitas and releasse of stress but behind them we often has a Ghost in the Shell/James Bond/ Lovecraft type theme runnig.

+Quote Post
AStarshipforAnts
post Jul 12 2010, 02:57 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,624

I prefer a blend of all of the above. My games tend to be rules light and roleplay heavy, anyway. Mohawk is great for laughs, but I prefer it peppered between more mirror-shades style planning--both when I'm a PC and when I'm GMing.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 12 2010, 03:02 PM
Post #5

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

I prefer Pink Mohawk, but it's often a Mix of Spy VS Spy and Black Trenchcoats <.<
Last session, i clobbered the two going at it Spy VS Spy stile . .

+Quote Post
Piersdrach
post Jul 12 2010, 03:05 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 18,752

I take my hobby probably way to seriously, but I squash any 'pink mohawk'. I even booted my own son from the game when he showed up with his elongated limbed, satyr legged, mood haired hobgoblin with a bad temper. Who had no skills whatsoever that wasn't combat.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jul 12 2010, 03:09 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

QUOTE (AStarshipforAnts @ Jul 12 2010, 09:57 AM) *
I prefer a blend of all of the above. My games tend to be rules light and roleplay heavy, anyway. Mohawk is great for laughs, but I prefer it peppered between more mirror-shades style planning--both when I'm a PC and when I'm GMing.

you said it better than I did.

+Quote Post
Dr.Rockso
post Jul 12 2010, 03:11 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,849

QUOTE (Piersdrach @ Jul 12 2010, 10:05 AM) *
I take my hobby probably way to seriously, but I squash any 'pink mohawk'. I even booted my own son from the game when he showed up with his elongated limbed, satyr legged, mood haired hobgoblin with a bad temper. Who had no skills whatsoever that wasn't combat.

Well we all make a socially retarded combat monster eventually (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif) Everyone should play an hmg toting sociopath bullet sponge at least once to see the appeal. Also gives you an appreciation of why combat skills aren't everything.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jul 12 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #9

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I love pink mohawk, but I run black trenchcoat. It's too well entrenched in me to do otherwise.

+Quote Post
SkepticInc
post Jul 12 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,735

I play Dark Tomorrow to the hilt, but I make use of Pink Mohawk. Some writer said once that humor makes tragedy more tragic, and tragedy makes humor more humorous. There is nothing quite like a Pink Mohawk burnout when you are cornered and doomed. It's senseless, usually fails, and is oh so (meta)human.

+Quote Post
Androcomputus
post Jul 12 2010, 07:17 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,211

I understand what Pink Mohawk is from the roll call, I think mirrored sunglasses are the opposite of that correct? I was wondering if you guys could post what each means for the targets lurking the forum... I would also like to understand so I could employ these elements in my group of new people...

+Quote Post
AStarshipforAnts
post Jul 12 2010, 07:30 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,624

Many of these names are equivalents to one another, or at least analogous.

From what I understand, Mirrorshades/darkshades/dark trenchcoat means being serious, making plans A-F, and planning for about nine different ways things could go wrong. Everyone is careful to cover their tracks, act professionally, and keep their heads out of trouble. No one ever, ever ends up on the evening news. The characters may have their own sets of personality quirks. But, for the most part, these are played seriously and the characters do their best to remain professional despite any...proclivities.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jul 12 2010, 08:02 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

I find that on any given night we can end up playing just about any style with the same characters. It can range from very serious and planned to fly by the seat of your pants laugh a minute insanity. Alcohol is often a factor

+Quote Post
Johnny B. Good
post Jul 12 2010, 08:41 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,876

We play Ice Cold Mohawk: Plan for everything, the second somebody fires a gun immediately scrap said plan and shoot everything.

+Quote Post
Squiddy Attack
post Jul 12 2010, 08:42 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,694

I prefer a game to be mainly serious with humor thrown in here and there, be it character banter or something else, and a splash of Pink Mohawk.

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Jul 12 2010, 08:42 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,598

tend towards the absurd a bit at times... though mostly the mirroshades types.. but sometimes you just got to say smurf it! and toss a 5 kg bomb into the room... inside a pretty pink lunchbox with 2 kgs of it being ceramic marbles..

+Quote Post
TheMidnightHobo
post Jul 12 2010, 09:49 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 17,486

QUOTE (Johnny B. Good @ Jul 12 2010, 04:41 PM) *
We play Ice Cold Mohawk: Plan for everything, the second somebody fires a gun immediately scrap said plan and shoot everything.

Hear hear! It is oh so much fun, too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 12 2010, 09:53 PM
Post #18

The ShadowComedian

Ah, so that's what it's called O.o

+Quote Post
Redcrow
post Jul 12 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,742

My preference is more of the "caper" style where the goal is to try and out-think and out-maneuver the opposition rather than out-fight them down to the last man. There is plenty of humor in the game, though it does tend to be more on the dark side. Corruption and conspiracy are rampant, so its never a question of whether you are being too paranoid but whether you are being paranoid enough.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Jul 12 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #20

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

In stead of giving it on one of the vagely discribed terms. Pink Mohawk is more than blow everything up. Mirrorshades is more that ditching your gun after a run ect.

I tend to play more to the professional side. That's not to say my current PC has a LMG modded to long bust with no recoil. Some times you need a big gun.

Humour wise its something a bit like fallout 1-2. In fact the entire game can be said as Fallout with more planning and stealth.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Jul 12 2010, 11:16 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

I play games. They vary. But a key rule in the garage is as follows:
Details should never detract from the experience.

From my POV, that makes me a NEON Glowing Pink Mohawk. I take that with pride.

What I don't want to do is pass judgment on anyone else's game. If you love details, weights, measures, plastic surgery, DNA scrubbing and rewriting, not having any contacts who know you and so on, GO FOR IT.

Every table is different but they are all Shadowrun.

BlueMax

+Quote Post
yukami
post Jul 13 2010, 01:35 AM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 18,363

i don't know what my style is... probably something like "unprofessional realist living in a cyberpunk world" maybe?

as someone who's personally familiar with the *contemporary* anarcho-street-punk lifestyle, i can say that the ice-cold-mohawk is certainly not a contradiction in terms (shouts to johnny b good for saying it first) - when you don't HAVE a home, and you don't HAVE id, and you smell and are dirty and are OBVIOUSLY a homeless street kid and just a couple hours ago you were sitting in the park spanging or flying a sign so you could front yourself some work (work = drugs) you ARE ice-cold about how you do business. in fact, you're probably MORE cautious and practical than your standard, "intelligent" white collar criminal who plans all their **** out to try to not get caught, because everybody is already watching you and assuming you're a criminal.

it doesn't take a pair of $200 sunglasses to take on the man - any day of the week i'd throw my money on the pink mohawk to get out of a situation, because they ARE criminal, they live it and embrace it and know what they're getting into. Mr. Mirrorshades might as well be on somebody's payroll, for all i care.

straight people don't DO crime, and johnny ice-cold who pretends he's a normal wageslave is just surrounding himself with a lie that takes more effort to maintain and is bound to fall apart in the end anyway.

mohawk love forever! ^_^

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Jul 13 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

I know what Pink Mohawk and Black Trenchcoat/Mirrorshades/Ice Cold Professional are, but what's Spy vs Spy and Dark Tomorrow?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 13 2010, 01:52 PM
Post #24

The ShadowComedian

Sound to me like Mohawk PvP

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Jul 13 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 17,389

Our games start out with lots and lots of planning. We try to figure out the best way to accomplish our goal.

Then we execute. We start following the plan. Then at some point we get to a "f--- it" moment where the plan is tossed out the window and anything goals.

I've noticed this tends to happen towards the end of the plan execution or for the escape portion of the plan.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:49 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.