> [SR4] Vehicle Mods, What rulebooks?
Fanatic
post Jul 17 2010, 08:35 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: New Member Probation
Member No.: 18,836

Hello,

i am pretty new to SR4 and haven't played any Shadowrun in ages.
But i read alot on these forums about Morphing License Plates, Spoofing Chips and such.
And in Arsenal there is a menioning of "Race Tires" but i am unable to find any of these anywhere.

Could somebody tell me where all that comes from?

And as an additional question, can i get qualities for more than 35 BP once the game started? i.e. can i get a new quality for karma, although i bought
qualities for 35 BP during the build?

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
D2F
post Jul 17 2010, 08:45 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,001

QUOTE (Fanatic @ Jul 17 2010, 08:35 PM) *
Hello,

i am pretty new to SR4 and haven't played any Shadowrun in ages.
But i read alot on these forums about Morphing License Plates, Spoofing Chips and such.
And in Arsenal there is a menioning of "Race Tires" but i am unable to find any of these anywhere.

Could somebody tell me where all that comes from?

And as an additional question, can i get qualities for more than 35 BP once the game started? i.e. can i get a new quality for karma, although i bought
qualities for 35 BP during the build?

Thanks

The Modification Rules for Vehicles can be found in "Arsenal".
You can get more qualities after Chargen. And yes, even past the 35BP limit.

+Quote Post
Fanatic
post Jul 17 2010, 09:14 PM
Post #3

Target

Ah damn, vehicle equipment not vehicle modification, that's what i get for not reading the entire book.

Thanks

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 17 2010, 09:18 PM
Post #4

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

You can? Not just negative qualities like Addiction?

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Jul 17 2010, 09:50 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,598

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 17 2010, 04:18 PM) *
You can? Not just negative qualities like Addiction?

yep it's 5 Karma x BP iirc.. don't have the book handy right now

So you can add say natural hardening for 50 karma

+Quote Post
D2F
post Jul 17 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (MortVent @ Jul 17 2010, 09:50 PM) *
yep it's 5 Karma x BP iirc.. don't have the book handy right now

It's double karma cost. Each quality is obviously subject to GM approval.

QUOTE (SR4A p.270)
Positive Qualities
If the gamemaster chooses, he can “award” a character with a new positive quality. This should only be done if the quality is appropriate to the character and her recent developments—the character must have worked hard or changed in some way that fits the awarded quality. Some qualities represent a major change, so there should be a good reason for why the character has transformed that way. Players will undoubtedly lobby their gamemasters to “award” them with qualities, but the gamemaster should only award them rarely and after significant effort/events; the gamemaster could even craft an adventure to dramatize the change.
The quality does not come for free, however—the character must pay for the quality at a cost equal to twice the quality’s BP cost. If the character does not have the Karma to pay for the quality, any new Karma she earns immediately goes to pay off the quality cost; the character may not spend Karma on anything else until it the quality is paid in full.

A good excemple for that would be aquiring Martial Arts qualities.

+Quote Post
Fanatic
post Jul 17 2010, 10:21 PM
Post #7

Target

Hehe

coincidentially that was exactly what i hoped to get.

+Quote Post
D2F
post Jul 17 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fanatic @ Jul 17 2010, 10:21 PM) *
Hehe

coincidentially that was exactly what i hoped to get.

Keep in mind, that the GM has to "award" the quality to you. It is completely up to him, whether you get it or not.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 18 2010, 12:52 AM
Post #9

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (D2F @ Jul 17 2010, 04:30 PM) *
Keep in mind, that the GM has to "award" the quality to you. It is completely up to him, whether you get it or not.

Or you could, you know, ask the GM, and then provide the impetus (like training in a Martial Art) so that you may then purchase the Quality...
Most GM's that I have gamed with are not at all adversarial about such things. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jul 18 2010, 05:28 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

Martial Arts qualities are the easiest to acquire in play, because they actually have rules for doing so.

Other qualities are pretty much subject to the GM's whim, and your ability to pitch the 'why i should get this' idea to them.

+Quote Post
D2F
post Jul 18 2010, 08:13 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 18 2010, 12:52 AM) *
Or you could, you know, ask the GM, and then provide the impetus (like training in a Martial Art) so that you may then purchase the Quality...
Most GM's that I have gamed with are not at all adversarial about such things. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

I would assume that's the obvious thing to do. Even then, the GM still has to award the quality to your char. I would allow it, juts because it makes sense, but if a GM doesn't want a particular quality available, then he can simply say no (as always). There is no "right to purchase qualities after chargen".

+Quote Post
Fanatic
post Jul 18 2010, 10:52 AM
Post #12

Target

QUOTE (D2F @ Jul 18 2010, 10:13 AM) *
I would assume that's the obvious thing to do. Even then, the GM still has to award the quality to your char. I would allow it, juts because it makes sense, but if a GM doesn't want a particular quality available, then he can simply say no (as always). There is no "right to purchase qualities after chargen".

Well as i have learner in all the years playing RPGs, there is no right to ANYHING wether during or after character creation.
If your GM vetos it, that usually means you go in a different direction with your character, or do the childish thing and stop playing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Makki
post Jul 18 2010, 01:19 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

QUOTE (MortVent @ Jul 17 2010, 11:50 PM) *

thats a stupid example. you're either natural hardened since birth, or not. of course it's GM approval, but most of the stuff is pretty obivous...some stuff just isn't acquirable during life. one either has an aptitude towards something or not. one can't learn 100% ambidexterity. many qualities are just inherent.
others like Erased could be aquired, if you let's say save a friendly hacker's life. or you're a student and you buy the College Education quality after you finished university. you could probably invest 20 Karma in Homeground after living somewhere for a very long time. and so on

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Jul 18 2010, 01:27 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,598

QUOTE (Makki @ Jul 18 2010, 08:19 AM) *
thats a stupid example. you're either natural hardened since birth, or not. of course it's GM approval, but most of the stuff is pretty obivous...some stuff just isn't acquirable during life. one either has an aptitude towards something or not. one can't learn 100% ambidexterity. many qualities are just inherent.
others like Erased could be aquired, if you let's say save a friendly hacker's life. or you're a student and you buy the College Education quality after you finished university. you could probably invest 20 Karma in Homeground after living somewhere for a very long time. and so on

You are talking about a world where someone can randomly grow scales, claws and bone spikes like something out of a drunken bard's nightmares

It's worth nothing you can learn to use both of your hands equally well. Many who have had major damage to one had to, and continue to use both equally well. Same with natural hardening, your skin builds up calluses after repeaded wear and tear so mentally you could as well (just look at those that are jaded to things like tubgirl because they have seen it too much) so building up a natural resistance to biofeedback damage is about the same as building up a resitance to a drug or toxin.

Aptitude can mean they focused on learning how to be far better than they were able to, the karma cost for the advantage could be considered extra hard focus on finding all the little tricks of the trade and researching the most obscure knowledge on the topic (and they would still need to buy that last point too)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 18 2010, 02:16 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (MortVent @ Jul 18 2010, 06:27 AM) *
You are talking about a world where someone can randomly grow scales, claws and bone spikes like something out of a drunken bard's nightmares

It's worth nothing you can learn to use both of your hands equally well. Many who have had major damage to one had to, and continue to use both equally well. Same with natural hardening, your skin builds up calluses after repeaded wear and tear so mentally you could as well (just look at those that are jaded to things like tubgirl because they have seen it too much) so building up a natural resistance to biofeedback damage is about the same as building up a resitance to a drug or toxin.

Aptitude can mean they focused on learning how to be far better than they were able to, the karma cost for the advantage could be considered extra hard focus on finding all the little tricks of the trade and researching the most obscure knowledge on the topic (and they would still need to buy that last point too)

Exactly... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 18 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #16

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

There are many qualities that make no sense to acquire after birth, yes. GM approval, as always.

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Jul 19 2010, 09:01 AM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

I'm a big fan of not treating martial arts as a quality.
I suppose it is a characteristic reflected in a guy's personality and background, but so are things like spells or powers, and imagine how ridiculous it would be if those counted against your quality limit.

"Sorry, but you can't have gone to college *and* learned the improved reflexes spell."

Nonsense.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jul 19 2010, 07:15 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (D2F @ Jul 17 2010, 03:30 PM) *

As a GM I like it when characters ask for a quality and have a reasonable explanation, playing out the hoops they go through to get it can provide a couple of sessions of run material a lot of times.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:42 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.