IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Creating background count, or killing big spirits as a mundane/low magic users
Neonsamurai
post Jul 20 2010, 12:31 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,147

Wasn't there a spell which created background count?
I am just wondering how a streetsam can kill a 7+ spiri without using an assault cannon?

Is there a possibility for his magic 4 shamanfriend to create a background count 4 so the sam can shoot the now force 3+ spirit ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Jul 20 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,598

mana static in street magic

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 20 2010, 12:45 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,749

QUOTE (MortVent @ Jul 20 2010, 06:38 AM) *
mana static in street magic

other methods: Geomancy metamagic, and Arcane Arrester. Those things are boring, though. If you want to create a huge background count in an area, a deathcamp could go a long way toward this goal.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Jul 20 2010, 12:49 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (Laodicea @ Jul 20 2010, 03:45 PM) *
If you want to create a huge background count in an area, a deathcamp could go a long way toward this goal.

Might be little hard to cook up one of those in a middle of combat with the spirit in question (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jul 20 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #5

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Laodicea @ Jul 20 2010, 08:45 PM) *
other methods: Geomancy metamagic, and Arcane Arrester.

WTF? How is Arcane Arrester going to create a BC? And Geomancy doesn't create BC where there was none, it just Aspects the BC.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 20 2010, 12:59 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (toturi @ Jul 20 2010, 06:51 AM) *
WTF? How is Arcane Arrester going to create a BC? And Geomancy doesn't create BC where there was none, it just Aspects the BC.

I had a brain hemmorage. Arcane Arrestor isn't the quality I'm thinking of.....And I cannot for the life of me think of the name of the quality....I'm pretty sure its a SURGE quality.

+Quote Post
Lanlaorn
post Jul 20 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,737

Astral Hazing. Don't take that if you have anyone who's awakened in your party.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 20 2010, 01:04 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jul 20 2010, 07:00 AM) *

That's the one. Thank you! Having something on the tip of your tongue is painful.

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Jul 20 2010, 01:09 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jul 20 2010, 09:00 AM) *

It's a fun one to have for someone that has a strong prejudice vs magic users and awakened... nothing like a hit man with his own portable background count gunning for ya (especially with arcane arrester)

+Quote Post
Neonsamurai
post Jul 20 2010, 01:12 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 4,147

wasn't "Mana static" erased in the newer books?

+Quote Post
Johnny B. Good
post Jul 20 2010, 01:16 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,876

QUOTE (Neonsamurai @ Jul 20 2010, 01:12 PM) *

Nope, it's in street magic.

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Jul 20 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

QUOTE (MortVent @ Jul 20 2010, 01:09 PM) *
It's a fun one to have for someone that has a strong prejudice vs magic users and awakened... nothing like a hit man with his own portable background count gunning for ya (especially with arcane arrester)

Just for that 'raised middle finger' effect to the guy across the table.

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Jul 20 2010, 02:08 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Hagga @ Jul 20 2010, 10:04 AM) *
Just for that 'raised middle finger' effect to the guy across the table.

On no for that I take a troll and surge it... claws, bone spikes, extra dermal plating, goring horns. And make it an adept with killing hands, penetrating strike 3 , mystic armor, improved skill unarmed, and attribute boosts

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jul 20 2010, 02:21 PM
Post #14

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (MortVent @ Jul 20 2010, 10:08 PM) *
On no for that I take a troll and surge it... claws, bone spikes, extra dermal plating, goring horns. And make it an adept with killing hands, penetrating strike 3 , mystic armor, improved skill unarmed, and attribute boosts

With Astral Hazing? I think not.

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Jul 20 2010, 02:23 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (toturi @ Jul 20 2010, 10:21 AM) *
With Astral Hazing? I think not.

Astral hazing doesn't hindera physad as much as it would a mage/shaman. In fact if the physad has just straight boosts, and no astral perception pure real world ability it doesn't affect them at all.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 20 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #16

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

QUOTE (Neonsamurai @ Jul 20 2010, 03:12 PM) *

aspected manastatic was more or less errataed out of the game . .

+Quote Post
Lanlaorn
post Jul 20 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (MortVent @ Jul 20 2010, 10:23 AM) *
Astral hazing doesn't hindera physad as much as it would a mage/shaman. In fact if the physad has just straight boosts, and no astral perception pure real world ability it doesn't affect them at all.

What? It reduces your magic by 4, even with a starting magic of 6 that cuts out most of your power points (and thus, your adept powers). It also reduces your weapon focus by the same. While I admit it's not as bad as for a mage, that's not saying much. It's still really terrible.

Also Aspected Mana Static sounds super overpowered, if the name accurately describes what it does I can see why it's not in the game. Pick an obscure tradition (or create your own...) and win every fight against an awakened opponent on the first cast?

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Jul 20 2010, 08:15 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jul 20 2010, 04:10 PM) *
What? It reduces your magic by 4, even with a starting magic of 6 that cuts out most of your power points (and thus, your adept powers). It also reduces your weapon focus by the same. While I admit it's not as bad as for a mage, that's not saying much. It's still really terrible.

Also Aspected Mana Static sounds super overpowered, if the name accurately describes what it does I can see why it's not in the game. Pick an obscure tradition (or create your own...) and win every fight against an awakened opponent on the first cast?

Was thinking of the older rules where it was a modifier vs a loss of magic to certain tasks.

But can just as easily boost up with cyberware and then have the ultimate high speed death machine for dealing with awakened foes.

-4 background count, 1/2 force on spells, and insane combat speed/capability.

I can see aztechnology and a few others finding and taining them for just that purpose... at high rates too

+Quote Post
Lanlaorn
post Jul 20 2010, 08:27 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Well that's what the qualities are designed to do. There are metamagics to counter it though, Cleansing and Filtering. Cleansing in particular just seems really useful overall, an area effect astral signature eraser + background count suppressor and possibly permanent background count removal? Pretty nice.

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Jul 20 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,454

How about Depleted uranium rainbows over fields of dead bodies..... should make some BC.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 20 2010, 09:15 PM
Post #21

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jul 20 2010, 10:10 PM) *

basically, that's how it worked . .
it made everyone else weaker, while making yourself STRONGER STILL, because the background count was ASPECTED TOWARDS YOU.
So at force 6, evrybody else was at a -6 magic and you were at a +6 magic for all intents and purposes . .
And now couple this with an anchoring/sustaining focus and place that one into your medicine hut and you get to add THAT TOO . .
So you can get up to a +6+6 Background Count pretty easy and thus cast way over the top ritual spells or conjure up huge ass spirits . .
as long as you had them outside of that background count and you yourself were still inside . . once safely bound, get them INTO that . .
And now you have a Spirit of force OMGWTFBBQ +6+6 . .
now couple this with a ritual team made up of your own magical group, preferably of your own tradition, and you can take out everything.
or conjure up huge ass great form spirits . . and if you had not thought about it yet, think about this little gem:
Spellstacks . . cast force 1 for no drain, then have the background count make you stronger.
cast higher force. repeat ad nauseum. and i am not really sure, but i guess the background count of the different castings would stack too.
so cast force 1, and you are standing in level1 BGC. cast force 2 and you are now standing in BGC3 for no drain at all probably . .
Yes, now you should start to see why it was ruled out more or less . . Of course, they could have left it in too . .
But think about it this way: everything you can do, someone else can do too . . and now think about a ritual team made up of great dragons.
Or immoral elves. And they can cast a spell on the moon, without too much of a problem now . . maybe even mars or venus.
Heck, as long as the telecope is still optical in it's workings and you have a clear sky, not even the sky is your limit . .
Zurich Orbital happened to cross by . . oh . . whoops . . we were never here . .

As for creating Background count:
Someone just has to summon bloodzilla or the succubussia, and tell them to go and eat untill they are satisfied or you tell them to stop.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:16 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.