Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Disallowed in Your Game
CodeBreaker
post Jul 20 2010, 05:15 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,249

Anyone who has been on Dumpshock for any decent amount of time is almost sure to of seen a particular phrase at least a few times; I/My GM doesn't allow <Pet Peeve>, be it Technomancers because they make the Matrix "magical", some bit of kit from Augmentation that you don't agree with or the entirety of Unwired because it makes the Matrix too complicated.

So, what I am wondering is what you, or your GM, specifically do not allow in your games, and if possible, why? Sate my curiosity!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Jul 20 2010, 05:16 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,598

Jerks, drama queens, etc..

Oh and..under no circumstances: weak stomachs

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Jul 20 2010, 05:18 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 17,389

Penile Implants in unusual places.

Well, he hasn't expressed forbid it. He's just expressed a very strong disapproval of it and the implant in general.

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Jul 20 2010, 05:23 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

I don't disallow anything. I have a few things I recommend avoiding but like I said to my players at the beginning of the campaign:

Shadowrun can be broken. It's not even that hard. When you make your characters ask yourself "Is this ridiculous? Will it piss Dave off?" If the answer to either of those questions is yes, then I would recommend against doing it. If the answer is "Maybe" then call and ask. If you forge ahead regardless, that's fine, just remember that I know the rules better than you, and every one trick pony has a counter.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jul 20 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

Goat eyes.

In my games, goats don't have eyes.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jul 20 2010, 05:25 PM
Post #6

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

I disallow fun.

+Quote Post
AStarshipforAnts
post Jul 20 2010, 05:25 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,624

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jul 20 2010, 01:24 PM) *
Goat eyes.

In my games, goats don't have eyes.

Spoilsport.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jul 20 2010, 05:26 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

For the current campaign I'm running I disallowed the races out of RC, largely because the players are relative newbies to shadowrun in general and didn't want to overwhelm them with the variants, infected, and the near infinite options of being a changeling. That, and one of them would have gone so far pink mohawk he would have ruined things for the others if he got what he wanted.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Jul 20 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

QUOTE (imperialus @ Jul 20 2010, 09:23 AM) *
I don't disallow anything. I have a few things I recommend avoiding but like I said to my players at the beginning of the campaign:

Shadowrun can be broken. It's not even that hard. When you make your characters ask yourself "Is this ridiculous? Will it piss Dave off?" If the answer to either of those questions is yes, then I would recommend against doing it. If the answer is "Maybe" then call and ask. If you forge ahead regardless, that's fine, just remember that I know the rules better than you, and every one trick pony has a counter.

Wait, your name is "Dave"?
/me starts looking for a follow feature.

We have three Dave's in our group and a two Dave minimum.

My only issue with OTP is those who whine like little children when I OTP them back.
"Well Hello Mana Static!"

BlueMax
/who was being childish too.

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Jul 20 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

the only real thing I disallow/ignore is the rule where TM's have to learn cracking/electronics twice..

I also tend to play loose with char creation rules, if they can come up with a good reasoning for the character having something

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jul 20 2010, 05:33 PM
Post #11

Runner

I tend to do the same. I'm also a lot easier on folks who are still learning the system.

+Quote Post
Witch
post Jul 20 2010, 05:52 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 18,730

I banned (or rather, significantly nerfed) the Emotitoy my Hacker player wanted.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jul 20 2010, 05:55 PM
Post #13

Runner

QUOTE (Witch @ Jul 20 2010, 06:52 PM) *
I banned (or rather, significantly nerfed) the Emotitoy my Hacker player wanted.

I still don't get those.

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Jul 20 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jul 20 2010, 12:55 PM) *
I still don't get those.

check out the android receptionist in japan iirc, it can recognize a bit of emotions based on facial recognition software and respond appropriately.

Emotitoys strike me as mini drones designed to react to thier owner's emotional state, but eaisly reprogrammed to work on others

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 20 2010, 06:07 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,749

Chronically overcasting Mystic Adepts.

+Quote Post
Johnny B. Good
post Jul 20 2010, 06:16 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,876

QUOTE (MortVent @ Jul 20 2010, 06:00 PM) *
check out the android receptionist in japan iirc, it can recognize a bit of emotions based on facial recognition software and respond appropriately.

Emotitoys strike me as mini drones designed to react to thier owner's emotional state, but eaisly reprogrammed to work on others

I've heard of Johnsons putting bullets in those when they see em'.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Jul 20 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

Day-job and Sinner flaws. Too many players took them not realizing that either was recipe for disaster and I got tired of having to ignore the flaws lest the party get screwed.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jul 20 2010, 06:20 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

Currently banned: Pretty much nothing

Things we should ban: Middle Aged Male Players with Angsty Goth Teenage Female Characters. It was funny once, now it's getting disturbing.

+Quote Post
deek
post Jul 20 2010, 06:22 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

The only thing I have banned is the Technomancer. Initially, it was because I hadn't read up on it enough and didn't want my players running amok with something I hadn't taken the time to understand, mechanically. In my second campaign, I use the Emergence timeline as a backdrop, so I didn't want anyone to play one until that campaign arc was finished.

We never finished that campaign, so I guess Technos are still banned.

There's currently a player ban on any full-time hackers, so by default, Technos aren't like to get any play time at my table.

+Quote Post
Fauxknight
post Jul 20 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,814

QUOTE (Johnny B. Good @ Jul 20 2010, 01:16 PM) *

Which is why your face should put down the nuyen for the full empathy software suite instead of the toy, costs more, but its a lot harder to notice someone running a program on thier headware.

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Jul 20 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Johnny B. Good @ Jul 20 2010, 01:16 PM) *

Usually taken as an attack on the runners, and results in return fire.

Mr J if he survives will also have a bad reputation as impulsive.

After all nothing prevents runners from running emotion software using thier gear as input for the same effect, same with lie detection spells/software.

+Quote Post
CodeBreaker
post Jul 20 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,249

QUOTE (Fauxknight @ Jul 20 2010, 07:26 PM) *
Which is why your face should put down the nuyen for the full empathy software suite instead of the toy, costs more, but its a lot harder to notice someone running a program on thier headware.

Or why your Technomancer should thread it up and run it through their eyes. Most Technos should have a decent Charisma anyway, they make fairly good back up Faces (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Johnny B. Good
post Jul 20 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (MortVent @ Jul 20 2010, 06:26 PM) *
Usually taken as an attack on the runners, and results in return fire.

Mr J if he survives will also have a bad reputation as impulsive.

After all nothing prevents runners from running emotion software using thier gear as input for the same effect, same with lie detection spells/software.

Honestly if I was a J and the face put an emotitoy on the table, I would either make him get rid of it or I walk. Or if I was an asshole and I had my corpsec goons with me, I'd shoot it (Or crowbar it).

If you're going to use emotion software at least do it covertly. The difference between walking in a corp facility holding a SMG in plain sight and walking in a corp facility with a ceramic SMG in a smuggling compartment is everything. Clearly trying to take advantage of a social situation is no different.

+Quote Post
Johnny B. Good
post Jul 20 2010, 06:37 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (CodeBreaker @ Jul 20 2010, 06:32 PM) *
Or why your Technomancer should thread it up and run it through their eyes. Most Technos should have a decent Charisma anyway, they make fairly good back up Faces (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

I don't understand being able to thread things outside of specifically matrix actions. Technomancers can thread because they have an intuitive understanding of how computers work, not because they know blue magic. It makes sense that they'd be able to thread an Exploit, as it finds flaws in firewall code. Empathy software, which is an algorithm for reading faces and analyzing pheromones, not so much.

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Jul 20 2010, 06:40 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Johnny B. Good @ Jul 20 2010, 02:33 PM) *
Honestly if I was a J and the face put an emotitoy on the table, I would either make him get rid of it or I walk. Or if I was an asshole and I had my corpsec goons with me, I'd shoot it (Or crowbar it).

If you're going to use emotion software at least do it covertly. The difference between walking in a corp facility holding a SMG in plain sight and walking in a corp facility with a ceramic SMG in a smuggling compartment is everything. Clearly trying to take advantage of a social situation is no different.

So you would shoot someone's keychain? Read the description the things are necklaces, bracelets, keychains, etc.. especially the non-mobile ones

It's not an smg, it's in effect throwing a fit because someone has a toy that might give them an edge.

I guarantee the Mr J is going to have one or more as well, maybe even a full rtg 6 one on him.

+Quote Post

16 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:35 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.