Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Did you say something, Cortana?
Voran
post Jul 21 2010, 05:33 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,099

In juvenile effort to make my 666 post something more than just replying to someone elses topic, in looking over SR rules again, and having burned through Halo 3 again last night, I figured I'd combine a question I had, and also get my "Demon" analogy in the same swing.

In Halo, Master Chief runs around with Cortana, an AI on the fast track to going bonkers, but who also happens to be quite L33T. Looking over SR Companion rules, one could have an AI who's home turf is a Commlink. By extending that, could you have a character that has an internal commlink that also carries an AI? Has anyone run a game with such a setup? In the sense of allowing 2 characters to possibly be run by 1 player?

Also, am I understanding the rules of AI mortality correctly? In the case of this AI riding around in a home turf internal commlink, in regards to the 3 ways to kill an AI: 1)The AI is recompiling and the commlink is simultaneously shut down. 2)This internal commlink is destroyed 3)or as usual if one of its mental attributes is reduced to 0.

Also, in regards to the commlink/AI, is the commlink considered the AI's meatbody for purposes of getting dumped? If the node they're hacking gets shutdown do they get stuck in that location, or do they get dumped back to their hometurf/commlink?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Jul 21 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

As a GM, I'd much rather run the AI myself as an NPC or, if another player thought it was interesting, let the AI be run as a PC. The reason for that is that it's very hard to get good dialog between two characters if both of them are played by the same player. It would take someone with some acting talent to be able to pull it off properly. And it's a good way for me as GM to give the players some advice when they're about to do something horribly, horribly bad.

+Quote Post
Pepsi Jedi
post Jul 21 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 18,391

Not sure about the Logistics but I like the general concept.

If you read between the lines this kinda already is in play. Most of your gear now has hook ups to your comlink an many of them have personality programs built in. Your AK97 might talk to you in a low brow Russian accent. Your Ares Predator might be a bit trigger happy ect.

While not full AI in their own right, it's a logical evolution from that to what you're describing.

+Quote Post
da Loof
post Jul 21 2010, 05:55 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 17,725

I had one. It was a rigger with an internal commlink, and an AI hacker in his head. Worked like a charm! The hacker would bust in to a building, or a car, or a drone while the rigger did whatever, until the AI was in, and the rigger would take control and wreak havoc.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 21 2010, 05:58 PM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Just use an agent, unless a real player is controlling the extra character. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
emouse
post Jul 21 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,502

Not a full AI, but the Dreamchipper run for 1st edition had 'artificial personality' chips which were a sort of hybrid of BTLs and skillsoft.

Used a variation of that idea with a later PC where the character was one of the bodies used for just such a chip. However in a fight, the chip got damaged and shorted out, leaving the rather surprised original personality in control. They were getting some benefits of the chip, but also weird stuff. I was planning to do things like memory flashes, personality overrides, and eventually have a recovery team show up to try and recover the PC.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Jul 21 2010, 06:30 PM
Post #7

Running Target

QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Jul 21 2010, 01:43 PM) *
Not sure about the Logistics but I like the general concept.

If you read between the lines this kinda already is in play. Most of your gear now has hook ups to your comlink an many of them have personality programs built in. Your AK97 might talk to you in a low brow Russian accent. Your Ares Predator might be a bit trigger happy ect.

While not full AI in their own right, it's a logical evolution from that to what you're describing.

Heh holy crap, call me Friday, its Rogue Trooper (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Mordinvan
post Jul 21 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 15,912

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 21 2010, 10:58 AM) *
Just use an agent, unless a real player is controlling the extra character. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

How about if the character takes the 10 point erased, and a high level A.I. hacker contact?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 21 2010, 06:39 PM
Post #9

Advocatus Diaboli

Well, a contact wouldn't ride around in your head, and the GM would have to control it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I wouldn't choose that situation for myself.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Jul 21 2010, 06:45 PM
Post #10

Running Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 21 2010, 01:39 PM) *
Well, a contact wouldn't ride around in your head, and the GM would have to control it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I wouldn't choose that situation for myself.

Indeed, the only thing allowed to ride around in my head is the government.

wait.....

+Quote Post
Voran
post Jul 21 2010, 07:14 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Heh, I also find it interesting that as I tinker, I realize that while prices have dropped dramatically for gear, especially in regards comlinks and stuff, if you wanted to setup a permanent home for a AI (perma-pay the lifestyle cost), you could do it by shelling out the 1 mil creds or so you used to need for an old Fairlight Excalibur deck or cranial cyberdeck.

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Jul 22 2010, 12:49 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 17,952

I'd do this only if I played a veteran with lots of cyberware. Including an extra commlink, computer and datajack in my crotch where the AI could reside.

+Quote Post
MortVent
post Jul 22 2010, 12:59 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,598

Works best with free sprites and technomancers, thier node can support them.

But I can also see a muse type deal, with a virtual personality/pet ARE software that is well programmed to interact with the owner (not a real AI but close enough to fool somone with a delusion trait)

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jul 22 2010, 04:10 AM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Jul 21 2010, 12:43 PM) *

Take an Agent with Adaptability 3, interface it with a Virtual Personality and you have yourself, to quote Mass Effect, a Virtual Intelligence.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 22 2010, 04:12 AM
Post #15

Advocatus Diaboli

All I know is, Cortana was the most annoying thing in those games, and I was dying for her to shut up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Jul 22 2010, 08:31 AM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 948

Meatpuppet PC...

Wired Reflexes 1
Cybereyes
Cyberears
Commlink

Now the AI controls the motor functions of the body through the commlink as all cyber is slaved through it and the DNI interface is disabled so that the meatpuppet cannot change any settings.

It does NOT control the mouth movement though as I do believe that wired reflexes are mainly for controlling muscle movement of limbs - but I think we can stretch the plausability for that so that the AI controls the merc with a mouth too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

This gives an interesting situation if the AI becomes incapacitated, rebooted etc as the "trapped" person is suddenly free...and perhaps insane, mad, angry as hell.

Who said the 2 people in 1 had to be cooperative with each others?

Borg name? 2 of 1.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 22 2010, 08:51 AM
Post #17

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Not Wired Reflexes.
You need move by wire.
Or simply the Stirr-Up-Interface

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Jul 22 2010, 08:53 AM
Post #18

Runner

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 22 2010, 08:51 AM) *
Not Wired Reflexes.
You need move by wire.
Or simply the Stirr-Up-Interface

I knew I got something wrong.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 22 2010, 08:59 AM
Post #19

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

It happens.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Jul 22 2010, 10:51 AM
Post #20

Runner

Hmm, it says that a person rigging an animal with stirrup interface uses their own skills -1D6 but that a pilot program functions just like a drone.

Would then an AI function like a character or a drone? They would RIG it like a character but would be more of a pilot program.

Do both kinds get a -1D6?

More importantly, WHY do one get a -1D6?

Is it because the animal is aware? But in that case the pilot program would have the same problem.

What if one disconnect the brain? A braindead animal controlled with a drone brain?

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 22 2010, 12:22 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,749

this is all an incredibly complicated technological way to mimic simple spirit possession.

Although I do feel that shadowrun is lacking in rules that allow a possessing spirit to not be at the forefront of the conciousness & body all the time. Instead simply letting it be a voice in your head sometimes. Anyone play Dark Messiah of Might & Magic? Interesting possession going on there. You could bring the demon to the forefront to control & morph the body sometimes, but other than that it remained as just sort of a tempter and narrator.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 23 2010, 02:38 AM
Post #22

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 21 2010, 09:10 PM) *
Take an Agent with Adaptability 3, interface it with a Virtual Personality and you have yourself, to quote Mass Effect, a Virtual Intelligence.

Indeed... very useful they are...

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jul 23 2010, 02:42 AM
Post #23

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

A sam, a pact with a possession Free Spirit, an AI that lives in his commlink. The Trinity.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 23 2010, 02:49 AM
Post #24

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (toturi @ Jul 22 2010, 07:42 PM) *
A sam, a pact with a possession Free Spirit, an AI that lives in his commlink. The Trinity.

Heheheh... an Unholy one at that... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Voran
post Jul 23 2010, 04:52 AM
Post #25

Running Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 22 2010, 10:49 PM) *
Heheheh... an Unholy one at that... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

And given all the gear, heck, why be host to just 1 AI? 1 in your primary gun, one in your armor, the commlink, your car, etc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 01:22 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.