IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Prices for travelling, How much for km?
Traks
post Mar 1 2004, 10:31 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,685

Yes yes yes, I know. In book X on page Y at the position Z lies the answer, as most people here would point out. But I do not know where this information is, so could somebody post prices of travelling in Shadowrun world, including types of travels? As much of them as possible, because my team wants to change environment of Seattle for a while, so I want to see how far they can get with current money on their hands.

Thanks for answers, till I come up with another boring question.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Mar 1 2004, 02:23 PM
Post #2

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I'd just go to Hotwire.com or your other favorite travel deal site. Then, get a price for the travel, hotel, rental car whatever they want. If they want a nicer flight or something, add a few hundred.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Mar 1 2004, 04:08 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

I know the price's for semi-ballistics and sub Orbitals are in Rigger 3. but as for the others unknown

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 1 2004, 04:13 PM
Post #4

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

I would say go with modern prices + 30%, with an availability of at least 3, due to the criminal nature and teh crack down on anything remotely terrorist in nature.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 1 2004, 04:49 PM
Post #5

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

It's pretty impossible to fly without a fake SIN so that's kind of mmmot IMHO anyway.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Mar 1 2004, 04:50 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

Prices for various types of flights are in Sprawl Survival Guide, in the Game Information section.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Mar 1 2004, 04:51 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

prices for orbitals and suborbitals are 0.4 :nuyen: per km with a 4,000 km minimum. Or something really close to that.

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Mar 2 2004, 04:17 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

The prices show up in SSG

.1 :nuyen: a km for a taxi.

Other stuff as well, but I don't remember what.

+Quote Post
Traks
post Mar 2 2004, 06:05 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,685

Ahh thanks, that's what I was looking for - more exotic flights.
They want to travel to Europe, but I wonder if they can scrap such a money :)
Most of them have SINs, and they haven't asked about leaving weapons at home anyway. So it will be interesting, when they will try to pass airport security.

No more questions on this subject :)

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 2 2004, 07:03 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

Cabs are less than 5 cents a mile!? oooooook.....

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 2 2004, 07:52 AM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

.1 not .01 that's about 50 current US cents per km.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 2 2004, 08:14 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

¥.1 per km is 10 cents per km, and one kilometer is 2.2 miles. That's less than 5 cents a mile.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 2 2004, 08:50 AM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Zazen)
one kilometer is 2.2 miles

?!

Last time I checked, one kilometer was about 0.62 miles. So that's 16 cents per mile.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 2 2004, 08:53 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Or perhaps one kilogram is 2.2 pounds. Fucking metric system...

nevermind, then!

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 2 2004, 08:56 AM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Yeah, I mean, there has to be something horribly wrong with a system where all measurements are standardized and you never have to multiply by anything other than powers of ten.

[Edit]Sorry, I'm just pissed off at the ad-break-fest that was the "live" Oscar TV thingie, and taking it out on anything American.

I wonder, though, how long did Herald of Verjigorm think one kilometer is... Or how expensive one nuyen.[/Edit]

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Mar 2 2004, 09:03 AM

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Mar 2 2004, 09:04 AM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

Exactly! Why can't it just use 14?!?

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 2 2004, 09:13 AM
Post #17

Great Dragon

I think a prime number would be better. Something like 127.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 2 2004, 09:33 AM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Hey, at least we've made up our minds. This sytem uses kilograms as the fundamental unit, that one uses grams, this one uses centimeters, that one uses kilometers, blah blah blah. And lord knows the meter has changed enough over the years.

I'm content with feet. You know what they say about people with big feet, after all :smokin:

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Mar 2 2004, 10:26 AM
Post #19

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

So, Zazen, you like our measurement system of cups, pints, quarts, gallons, pecks, bushels, barrels, and hogsheads? The fathom (fingertip to fingertip of extended arms) and the cubit (elbow to fingertip)? Also, the acre (the amount of land that can be plowed by oxen in a day, which really means a morning since the oxen have to rest in the afternoon). A mile (the distance a Roman Legion moves in 1000 paces, a pace being two steps) is incredibly suited to our technological age. Three barleycorns placed end-to-end make one inch. Since barleycorn size is so uniform, this makes one inch easy to verify in towns all across our kingdom. A grain is the weight of one barleycorn, and thus the barleycorn is the standard for both length and weight in our English system. A pound is naturally the weight of 7000 barleycorns. A don't even think of getting into the disagreement between Britian and the United States over a hundredweight (112 lbs in Britain, 100 lbs in US) that leads to the British ton (20-hundredweight) being 2240 lbs. while the American ton (20-hundredweight) is 2000 lbs.

No thank you. I'll take my 2-liter pop any day, along with meters and grams if I can get it.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Mar 2 2004, 10:44 AM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

Hehe. Well said OurTeam. BTW: What's the basic measurement from the metric system based on? Is it the Gram or the Meter? And which came first? I'm guessing the meter, but I could be wrong.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 2 2004, 11:06 AM
Post #21

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Lilt)
What's the basic measurement from the metric system based on? Is it the Gram or the Meter? And which came first? I'm guessing the meter, but I could be wrong.

Actually, since the second is defined in a way that requires no other metric measurement, and is then used in defining just about every metric measurement, I'd say the "basic" measurement is the second. Though there are other measurements which are not based on any of the others -- like kelvin (temperature).

QUOTE (Zazen)
And lord knows the meter has changed enough over the years.

Less than one-half a billionth (is that a word?) or 0.0000005% between 1872 and 1983, and it has stayed the same since then. The inch changed 2 millionths(?) or 0.0002% between 1893 and 1959, thousands of times more than the meter, and starting from 1893 it has actually been based on the meter, so it's been changing at it's own rate plus the rate of change of the meter.

In fact all American measurements that I'm aware of are nowadays firmly based on the metric system.

This sytem uses kilograms as the fundamental unit, that one uses grams, this one uses centimeters, that one uses kilometers

Eh? The fundamentals are meter, gram, second, kelvin, etc etc. AFAIK, the only SI unit that doesn't use all-fundamentals is the Newton (which uses a kilogram), and thus all units based on the Newton also use the kilogram, but for all other purposes you always use the fundamental units, which are very clearly defined.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Mar 2 2004, 11:12 AM
Post #22

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

The meter came first. In 1799 the meter was standardized as one ten-millionth of the distance from the North Pole to the Equator on a line running through Paris. However they miscalculated the flattening of the earth due to it's rotation when they created the standard reference meter out of metal in 1872, so it was 2mm shorter than it should have been. This meter became a world-wide standard in 1875 when 18 nations (including the US) signed what people in the US call "The Treaty of the Meter". The meter has been the same length ever since, but scientists no longer compare to a standard made of metal (whose length varies with temperature) but instead to the distance light travels in vacuum in a specific fraction of a second.

A gram is the mass of water filling a cube 1 cm on a side. A kilogram is 1000 of those. The international standard for this was made of metal in 1889. In 1901 it was clarified that the kilogram is a unit of mass, not of weight. Though in popular usage, a kilogram is treated as a measure of weight. For practical purposes, the two concepts are equivalent for people on the surface of earth. The mass of a troll standing on the earth will not change if he were to stand on the moon, but his weight certainly would change.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 2 2004, 11:26 AM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Measurement

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:15 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.