Reply to this topicStart new topic
> quick, simple, question
Laodicea
post Jul 28 2010, 05:09 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,749

So, say we have a simple scenario in which a runner is being attacked by a force 7 spirit. He's in a room, separate from some other members of his team. They have a tacnet set up in the room runner A is in, allowing the other members of his team to sight in on his target using AR. Runners B C & D all begin shooting through the wall at the force 7 spirit. But the wall is actually 3 layers. Layer 1 of concrete. Layer 2 of rating 20 armor plates, and layer 3 of paper/magazine clippings of Katy Perry.

Runners B, C, and D are equal in every respect to their skills. Runner B has an assault rifle with SnS. Runner C has an SMG with APDS, and Runner D forgot his gun and is going to try to use distance strike.

I'm really terribly new at this whole GM thing and I really need you guy's expert advice.

GO!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jul 28 2010, 05:14 AM
Post #2

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

You call that simple? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/eek.gif)

Nothing the team has can penetrate Rating 20 Armor, so basically, none of the attacks get through. See page 166 of SR4.5 for details. Unless they somehow get a modified power over 20, they won't penetrate that layer.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jul 28 2010, 05:21 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Wouldn't the Katy Perry magazine clippings create a Rating: 8 background count which would disrupt the spirit, anyways?

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 28 2010, 05:21 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

They're all throwing dice pools of 25+, and using edge.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 28 2010, 05:24 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Glyph @ Jul 28 2010, 12:21 AM) *
Wouldn't the Katy Perry magazine clippings create a Rating: 8 background count which would disrupt the spirit, anyways?

This sounds like a Katy Perry houserule to me. I have a list of about 20 Katy Perry houserules, but this is not one of them. I challenge your houserule, Sir! Totally imbalancationing!

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jul 28 2010, 05:41 AM
Post #6

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

Okay, let's do the math....

Assuming no other penalties, they're still at -6 for Blind Fire. SnS has a base damage of 6S, no AP. To break the concrete alone, he needs to have 10 successes (Concrete has an Amror Value of 16, p166, SR4.5) to even penetrate to the next layer. With a dice pool of 25, +3 Edge, -6 Blind Fire. So, 22 dice-- respectable, but even with exploding 6's, it's not probable. You're going to average about 8 successes, not enough.

Now, let's try with the SMG. That does a base of 5P, AP:4. Assuming the same stats, he has to beat an armor rating of 12. Which he will do: 5 + 8 = 13. Now, he hits the next layer-- but this time, the next barrier's armor rating has been increased by an amount equal to the original. That means he has to beat an armor of 32, before modifiers for AP. The attack spangs off the internal armor, wasted.

Basically, it's not going to happen.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jul 28 2010, 05:41 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

Oh dear. Didn't we just have this discussion in another thread?
Yes, yes we did. Its over in the 'dissallowed in your game' one.

Hold on, cain. The runner's dont get the blind fire penalty - they can see exactly where it is via the Tacnet. They will, however, take the -2 for firing from Good cover, and the defender -certainly- gets the good cover bonus of +4 on its defense roll if any of the attacks get through.

That shift in dice pools, plus edge, -might-, might, might let one of the runners get enough hits.

The short version is.... a runner's base damage + net hits has to be greater (not = to or greater) than a barrier's armor-AP to get through. The only person who's going to have a chance is the Adept with distance strike, but only if he has Smashing Blow(or is it shattering blow?).

The AR/SNS guy isn't going to have a chance. The AP just isn't there. The SMG/APDS guy might. He's doing 5p @ ap-4, so he'll need to beat 16 armor for that one layer, which means he needs 12 hits on the barrier to stand a chance.
The good news is, he gets two attempts, due to burst fire.
Might have a chance due to narrow burst. (the good news is, the shooting through barrier rules let you use a weapon's modified damage value, which means narrow bursts)

Just saying, though, your AR w/ SNS player wants to shoot Stick and shocks through a wall?

edit: Oop, kain's more on top of it than I am.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jul 28 2010, 06:40 AM
Post #8

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

QUOTE (Cain @ Jul 28 2010, 07:41 AM) *
Okay, let's do the math....

Assuming no other penalties, they're still at -6 for Blind Fire. SnS has a base damage of 6S, no AP. To break the concrete alone, he needs to have 10 successes (Concrete has an Amror Value of 16, p166, SR4.5) to even penetrate to the next layer. With a dice pool of 25, +3 Edge, -6 Blind Fire. So, 22 dice-- respectable, but even with exploding 6's, it's not probable. You're going to average about 8 successes, not enough.

Now, let's try with the SMG. That does a base of 5P, AP:4. Assuming the same stats, he has to beat an armor rating of 12. Which he will do: 5 + 8 = 13. Now, he hits the next layer-- but this time, the next barrier's armor rating has been increased by an amount equal to the original. That means he has to beat an armor of 32, before modifiers for AP. The attack spangs off the internal armor, wasted.

Basically, it's not going to happen.

19 dice, Edge used for reroll. 31% chance of 10+ hits. Not that it helps (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 28 2010, 12:43 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

hmmm, I think you number crunchers may have missed something critically important.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jul 28 2010, 02:15 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

QUOTE (Laodicea @ Jul 28 2010, 01:43 PM) *
hmmm, I think you number crunchers may have missed something critically important.

Why not make the point you're trying to make and be done with it?

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jul 28 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #11

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Thought. Does Distance Strike need to penetrate the barrier to affect the Spirit?

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Jul 28 2010, 02:34 PM
Post #12

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jul 28 2010, 03:26 PM) *
Thought. Does Distance Strike need to penetrate the barrier to affect the Spirit?

I dont think it's adressed but RAW implies that you manifest the blow with out it passing though the space in-between so maybe.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 28 2010, 03:30 PM
Post #13

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

The penalty even with TacNet information is still -4 (Arsenal, p161).

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 28 2010, 05:03 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jul 28 2010, 08:15 AM) *
Why not make the point you're trying to make and be done with it?

Ok. There's multiple points i'm trying to make.
1. Glyph got the main point. It's a joke.

2. This single scenario brings up several controversial subjects here on dumpshock. The controversy of these subjects is a source of humor to me. You guys would argue about this crap all day. For some of these subjects, there's genuine reason for the conflict. The rules are ambigious, or they conflict so hard with the fluff that people want to change the rule. I can see the issue from both perspectives. If I were GMing a game, I know what position I would take in my game. If I were playing in someone elses game, I would let the GM make the decision and I wouldn't argue with them about it. You want tasers taking down high force spirits? Fine. I'm buying a taser.

3. As a GM, you should never put yourself in a situation where there's this much A. controversy and B. number Crunching. Sometimes players will surprise you with their decisions and you might end up in some pretty crunchy situations. You should probably look for creative ways out of it rather than spending the next half hour of the game crunching the numbers, only to have a Rules Lawyer get into an argument with you about SnS ammo and spirits and barriers, ruining your whole evening. In this particular case, I would make the spirit de-materialize, for example. If you don't want to be creative, hand wave the situation. Players that do clever things should be awarded in your hand-waving. If the Rules Lawyer argues with you, tell him you're hand waving it and there's nothing he can do about it except leave.

That's about it.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 28 2010, 05:05 PM
Post #15

Advocatus Diaboli

Hmm. It may surprise you to realize that this isn't a game session. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jul 28 2010, 05:13 PM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

Wow, what a great joke.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Jul 28 2010, 05:32 PM
Post #17

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

On a side note they could always abuse the called shot and long shot rules. Bypass the wall and the spirit's ITNW for a massive - the use the loong shots rules to roll edge. Thats iffy/retarded as I'm not 100% one can bypass walls.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jul 28 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #18

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Laodicea, it seems you might have missed something as well.

QUOTE (Dumpshock TOS)
1. Personal attacks, flaming, trolling, and baiting are prohibited. This includes any form of racism, sexism or religious intolerance.

Emphasis mine.

Stop stirring the pot, please. Thanks.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 28 2010, 05:40 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (eidolon @ Jul 28 2010, 11:35 AM) *

Emphasis mine.

This wasn't baiting. But whatever. You're the admin. You'll define it however you want. I'm just saying you're wrong.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Jul 28 2010, 05:49 PM
Post #20

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

You're trying to pick a fight.

What else do you call baiting?

Assuming wwe're not discussing fishing.

+Quote Post
Semerkhet
post Jul 28 2010, 05:52 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,079

QUOTE (eidolon @ Jul 28 2010, 12:35 PM) *

Emphasis mine.

I'm disturbed that moderation would take issue with a member poking a bit of fun at the propensity of frequent posters on this board to treat all rules discussions with stiff-necked severity. I think Laodicea's satirical jab was well-targeted. If Dumpshock can't handle this sort of joke without warnings being issued for 'baiting', I fear for the community.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Jul 28 2010, 05:53 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jul 28 2010, 11:49 AM) *

I am? Is that listed as a reason I made this post? I think I only listed 3 reasons. Weird that you found a 4th.

+Quote Post
Semerkhet
post Jul 28 2010, 05:54 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jul 28 2010, 12:49 PM) *

Picking a fight? After all the flaming in the CGL speculation threads you call that picking a fight? FFS people, can't you handle someone having a bit of a chuckle at your expense?

Edit: And by "your expense" I include myself, as I'm as prone to arguing rules interpretations as anyone else on this board.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 28 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #24

Advocatus Diaboli

Regardless, rules discussions are specifically for this. We know that GM-fiat solves everything. The point is to limit the need for that by having a system of rules that works.

+Quote Post
Semerkhet
post Jul 28 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 28 2010, 12:57 PM) *
Regardless, rules discussions are specifically for this. We know that GM-fiat solves everything. The point is to limit the need for that by having a system of rules that works.

That's great. I'm not taking issue with anything but that a moderator, and one other poster, decided that Laodicea was 'baiting' and 'picking a fight' when all that was happening was that he/she was poking a bit of fun at the stereotypical rules discussion on DS.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:45 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.