> Military Grade Armor, Art
IceKatze
post Jul 31 2010, 03:25 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,788

hi hi

I didn't really care much for the illustration of military grade armor that went in Arsenal, so I made my own. My character came very close to acquiring a suit but the team ran out of time. (Just like I ran out of time finishing this piece of artwork, but I thought it was good enough to share)

Military Armor

Special thanks to Shimmering Sword and Hiroji Kiyotake for helping inspire the design.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GORK d'ORK
post Jul 31 2010, 04:03 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 18,872

QUOTE (IceKatze @ Jul 30 2010, 10:25 PM) *
hi hi

I didn't really care much for the illustration of military grade armor that went in Arsenal, so I made my own. My character came very close to acquiring a suit but the team ran out of time. (Just like I ran out of time finishing this piece of artwork, but I thought it was good enough to share)

Military Armor

Special thanks to Shimmering Sword and Hiroji Kiyotake for helping inspire the design.

"GORK want a piece."

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Jul 31 2010, 04:37 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

So futuristic looking.

Those the hydraulic jacks on the feet?

+Quote Post
Simon Kerimov
post Jul 31 2010, 06:35 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,806

"I'm sorry I didn't get the armor for you. I'd remedy the situation, but I'm currently stuck on an Astral Quest with nothing but a tricked-out monocycle and a dream T-Bird of War and a ten-set of wasp drones filled with nanite injection needles. I'm also running a stack of 15 drugs, so once I stop hallucinating, I'll see what I can do.

"Although, since Seattle wants to kill us for allegedly "creating" a so-called "Wasp Hive" in a ritzy house my trust fund pays for, I think we should go away for awhile. I hear Mars is nice this time of three months from now."

--

"Here am I floatin' 'round my tin can far above the world
"Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do "
--Space Oddity by David Bowie

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 31 2010, 08:19 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Shiny!

And the barcode makes payday so much easier! Just scan it in and collect your money!

+Quote Post
IceKatze
post Jul 31 2010, 05:32 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

hi hi

Those would indeed be hydraulic jacks on the feet. It was one thing that I really struggled with trying to figure out how they would actually work. I toyed around with a leg-spring type design (like in portal) and I briefly considered placing straight pistons on the back of the leg, but in the end hiding the shock pad in the arch of the foot seemed to make the most sense.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jul 31 2010, 07:01 PM
Post #7

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Dude! Very nice job. I'm pretty sure you could sell prints of that. Just sayin'... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Jul 31 2010, 09:41 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

I didn't know you had to be naked underneath it, I would assume you had some small suit to preserve modesty and provide comfort, similar to the blue suit Tony Stark wore under the Iron Man suit in the first Iron Man movie.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jul 31 2010, 09:53 PM
Post #9

ghostrider

Nah, it's a rule: Women are naked under power armor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 31 2010, 09:54 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jul 31 2010, 04:41 PM) *
I didn't know you had to be naked underneath it, I would assume you had some small suit to preserve modesty and provide comfort, similar to the blue suit Tony Stark wore under the Iron Man suit in the first Iron Man movie.

Or the Tux he wore at the start of the second one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

There's probably provisions for GI Issue Underwear and that's about it.

Or maybe not, if you have to deal with a catheter and colostomy bag. Which makes sense for long-duration situations in the field.

Or when you're hunkered down in a foxhole with mortars, artillery, and CAS coming at you.

Rule 5: "Close air support and friendly fire should be easier to tell apart."

+Quote Post
IceKatze
post Jul 31 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

hi hi

I would have probably put a suit of form fitting body armor on, but the rules are specific, no other armor can be worn with military-grade armor, it is custom fit to the person's specific body contours.

I would say CanRay is correct, any armor that you seal yourself in would need some method of dealing unpleasant body functions. Getting caught with your pants down is much worse when it takes a full minute to put them back on. Furthermore, wearing articles of clothing underneath might interfere with any climate control or bio-monitor systems the suit has.

Also, if the enemy starts dropping mortars on your position while you're taking a shower or whatever, modesty is going to be the last thing on your mind, you grab your gun, something bulletproof and go.
example

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jul 31 2010, 11:02 PM
Post #12

ghostrider

Well, you could handle it the way current astronauts do and just wear a diaper. Alternately, a collection system isn't that unreasonable. Either way, you would probably technically have a body-temp regulation type undersuit, or if the armor itself is climate controlled, at least a wicking layer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 31 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Oh come on, soldiers being comfortable? Like that's ever going to happen! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Then again, I've never served, so what do I know. (Aside from the fact that complaining about your convoy being late because you just had an IED go off under you can get you kicked out of the Canadian Armed Forces.).

+Quote Post
Kraegor
post Jul 31 2010, 11:32 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 18,204

I really like using the illustrations from Rifts for full Military Spec armor. They are very sleek, awesome and futuristic looking.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:36 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.