Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Multiple commlinks, acking related questions
EuroShadow
post Aug 2 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,956

I have gathered that in shadows proffesionals use multiple commlinks, which makes sense: you may want to use one for public use, one extremely safe and stealthy for your own PAN; your devices; your bank accounts; one safe and stealthy for job related stuff.

And you may ditch one if its Acess ID gets known with a wrong guys.

But when you ditch and take new commlink or use other one to call your fixer: does he knows its you? And the related question: when you call someone and have a chat, does he get to know your Access ID?

In my mind, it is like me calling someone from laptop using Skype: even if i change my laptop, my skype account is the same and the other person knows it is me. But he cannot trace my IP, right?
So what's the deal with commlinks? And even if i know the location of his PAN - can i get his commlink's Acess ID?

thank you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 2 2010, 07:34 PM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Good question. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Your skype account isn't your Access ID.
QUOTE (Unwired @ p53)
Matrix service providers (MSPs) issue commcodes (see p. 214, SR4), which are not to be confused with access IDs. Whereas your access ID is a sort of serial number that you use for all of your interactions online, and which is recorded in access logs (like an IP address in real life), your commcode is more akin to a phone number or email address.
Read more in that section for more good info.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Aug 2 2010, 07:42 PM
Post #3

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

Access ID's are broadcast with your matrix access. They're the shadowrun equivalent of mac addresses.
That being said, they can totally be spoofed, and Hackers routinely change theirs on a daily basis.

+Quote Post
EuroShadow
post Aug 3 2010, 06:46 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 17,956

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 2 2010, 10:34 PM) *
Good question. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Your skype account isn't your Access ID.
Read more in that section for more good info.

Thanks for direction.

p.214 in core book says
When you’re online (and when aren’t you?), your commlink
is usually set to automatically link to your provider(s)
so that all calls and messages are immediately forwarded to
you. You can choose to cut this link and “run silent” in order
to avoid the risk of someone tracing that link to your current
whereabouts (meaning your messages will be stored until retrieved
later).

So apparently one can trace the caller to its commlink and commlink's access ID, right? (even if it means he has to hack in matrix service provider's database).
That also means, that any call and message sent may be traced later through that matrix service provider database to wait until the target user is online and then hack him.

Am I right thinking now that there are three methods how you can find and hack someone's commlink: a)If you know his commcode, b)if you know his Acess ID, c)if he is in your signal range.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Aug 3 2010, 09:51 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (EuroShadow @ Aug 3 2010, 07:46 AM) *
So apparently one can trace the caller to its commlink and commlink's access ID, right? (even if it means he has to hack in matrix service provider's database).

A hacker may trace a subscription back to its origin, so tracing a call should be possible. Another reason to use some care on the phone, you are a criminal after all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Unwired introduces some advanced possibilites like proxy servers or single-use comcodes.

Am I right thinking now that there are three methods how you can find and hack someone's commlink: a)If you know his commcode, b)if you know his Acess ID, c)if he is in your signal range.

In theory, however a) would require to either hack the database which lists commcodes and their associated acces IDs, or to trace an active call from that commcode. Given that the commcode<=>acces ID database would be a critical part of the matrix infrastructure, I'd say choose the second option unless you got bored with your character.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:30 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.