Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wanted: Ghoul Hunters, Immunity to HMHVV, Own Gun, Some Travel Required
Nifft
post Aug 4 2010, 07:24 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,227

If you were to recruit a team to take out ghoul nests, who would be in it?

Immunity to HMHVV:
- Pixies
- Naga
- Shapeshifters
- Dracoforms
- Free Spirit
- AI + drones

Some Protection from HMHVV:
- Rigger (assumes secure location)
- Mage + Astral Projection

Already Infected:
- PC ghouls?

- - -

I'm putting together an intro one-shot with the idea that it'll show some of the more unlikely stuff in the Runner's Companion. Has anyone run a game themed on ghoul-hunting, and care to share party composition & experiences?

Thanks, -- N
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Aug 4 2010, 07:53 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (Nifft @ Aug 4 2010, 02:24 PM) *
If you were to recruit a team to take out ghoul nests, who would be in it?

Immunity to HMHVV:
- Shapeshifters
- Dracoforms
- Free Spirit
- AI + drones

Some Protection from HMHVV:
- Rigger (assumes secure location)
- Mage + Astral Projection

Already Infected:
- PC ghouls?

- - -

I'm putting together an intro one-shot with the idea that it'll show some of the more unlikely stuff in the Runner's Companion. Has anyone run a game themed on ghoul-hunting, and care to share party composition & experiences?

Thanks, -- N

I ran a game on the threads here that died out because I couldn't keep up with the work of running it, it was based on a zombie apocalypse scenario. You'd have to go dig through the 'welcome to the shadows' thread for it, last post was likely sometime in... November maybe of last year? Don't even remember what the game was called, but a search for 'zombie apocalypse' might bring it up.

Edit: Here they are.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Aug 4 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

One of the best Vampire hunters in SR history was Martin DeVirus (a Vampire himself). Who knows their prey better then their own? If I was hunting infected though I would go the Mage and Rigger (with a crap load of droids) route myself. You don't want to mess around with HMHVV. I wouldn't even hold back on using FAT III if I could get my hands on it.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 4 2010, 08:24 PM
Post #4

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

complete cyber-replacement.
apply chem-seal to the body itself.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Aug 4 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Only problem with being a vampire hunting vampires is that it is hard to use some of their weaknesses against them. Can't stay out in the sun with them to make sure they dust (Not that they do in SR), or hold a wooden stake. Could still use wooden bullets I suppose.

The real problem with ghouls is that by the rules, the HMHVV is virtually impossible to resist, requiring 24 dice on average to fight off the power 8. It is also spread by simple contact not only with the ghoul itself, but with its blood, spit, or skin.

A sealed suit of armor would likely be the best line of defense for someone that isn't immune that deals with them in person. Military or something like that would be a good idea with a helmet that completely encloses the head. Then they'd have to actually bypass the armor (Deal P damage instead of S) to have any chance of infecting you.

Could throw in those nanites that give you a massive bonus against infections and such.

+Quote Post
Chainsaw Samurai
post Aug 4 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,890

HMHVV is ridiculously contagious. I've never agreed it should be simple contact with the ghoul, but more traditionally zombie styled: blood to wound contact, bodily fluid ingestion, or bite wounds. Under those circumstances, I'm alright with the absolutely asinine resistance tests with absolutely no outside help from magic or medicine.

Seriously, think about the current ability of that disease to be spread. Contact with the ghoul? Contact with spit, blood, skin? There is absolutely no way a disease that contagious with no cure or vaccine would be limited to a very small portion of the Seattle population. Especially since these things usually live in the sewers and other similarly dank areas where they have moderate access to the city's water supply. It wouldn't be long before, at a bare minimum, the entirety of the barrens was infected; then they go looking to higher class neighborhoods for food and continue spreading the disease. It is a little asinine as written.

The disease has ridiculous transmission methods and a penetration of neg six. Seriously?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 4 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #7

The ShadowComedian

AH allready apologized for that.

+Quote Post
Martin_DeVries_I...
post Aug 4 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,684

QUOTE (Karoline @ Aug 4 2010, 01:28 PM) *
Only problem with being a vampire hunting vampires is that it is hard to use some of their weaknesses against them. Can't stay out in the sun with them to make sure they dust (Not that they do in SR), or hold a wooden stake. Could still use wooden bullets I suppose....

Very true. My namesakes' best weapon in his fight against vampires was the special magical focus he had, which granted him additional Essence--very useful when fighting creatures that can drain E. Without that I doubt he'd be quite so feared.

QUOTE ('Karoline)
Could throw in those nanites that give you a massive bonus against infections and such.

The nanites would be good as you can get them tailored to stop HMHVV. That may be the best bet for a character to avoid getting it.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 4 2010, 08:56 PM
Post #9

The ShadowComedian

For technic mass production, go drones.
For magial mass production, go spirits.
For exotic technical, go full body replacement with chem-seal applied to the body directly.
For exotic natural go with any of the above mentioned ways.

+Quote Post
Traul
post Aug 4 2010, 08:59 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

Most sapient critters are immune too. A projecting mage or free spirit looks close to an I win button, unless the ghouls have planned serious astral defenses. It will probably be more fun for everyone if you forget those. If you want some spellslinging mojo, use a mystic adept instead.

+Quote Post
Magus
post Aug 4 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

But Ghouls don't even have the INFECTION power, so you would not really have to worry about that.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 4 2010, 09:13 PM
Post #12

The ShadowComedian

They don't need that power.
They are carriers of HMHVV.
And that Disease has the contact vector.
After all, there is a quality of sterile carrier.
And that was one of the differences between NPCritter and PC ghouls under SR3, PC ghouls did not have infection, NPCritter ghouls did.

+Quote Post
Nifft
post Aug 4 2010, 09:48 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,227

QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 4 2010, 03:59 PM) *
Most sapient critters are immune too. A projecting mage or free spirit looks close to an I win button, unless the ghouls have planned serious astral defenses. It will probably be more fun for everyone if you forget those. If you want some spellslinging mojo, use a mystic adept instead.

Awesome, thanks: Pixie, Naga, and Centaur look good. Well, actually Centaur looks like it could be a bit unwieldy if the team had to sneak anywhere... hmm.

I see a lot of pixie builds around here, so those must be decent, right?

How is the Naga in play? Seems to have armor issues, if recent threads are any indication.

+Quote Post
Mordinvan
post Aug 4 2010, 09:56 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 15,912

QUOTE (Karoline @ Aug 4 2010, 02:28 PM) *
Only problem with being a vampire hunting vampires is that it is hard to use some of their weaknesses against them. Can't stay out in the sun with them to make sure they dust (Not that they do in SR), or hold a wooden stake. Could still use wooden bullets I suppose.

The real problem with ghouls is that by the rules, the HMHVV is virtually impossible to resist, requiring 24 dice on average to fight off the power 8. It is also spread by simple contact not only with the ghoul itself, but with its blood, spit, or skin.

A sealed suit of armor would likely be the best line of defense for someone that isn't immune that deals with them in person. Military or something like that would be a good idea with a helmet that completely encloses the head. Then they'd have to actually bypass the armor (Deal P damage instead of S) to have any chance of infecting you.

Since the virus takes a while to change you, ride a suborbital once infected, to kill the virus off by exposing it to space.

+Quote Post
Starmage21
post Aug 4 2010, 09:56 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,448

Dont forget the other infected. Vampires and such are immune to kreiger HMHVV

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 4 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #16

The ShadowComedian

QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Aug 4 2010, 11:56 PM) *
Since the virus takes a while to change you, ride a suborbital once infected, to kill the virus off by exposing it to space.

you know . . i don't think anyone actually ever thought of that yet O.o

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Aug 4 2010, 10:05 PM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 948

I would hire this man...

meet the preacher

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Aug 4 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 4 2010, 05:00 PM) *
you know . . i don't think anyone actually ever thought of that yet O.o

Maybe they have, the problem is that a sub-orbital flight would be expensive, the other problem is it still might not kill the virus because the person carrying it might provide enough to sustain it even if they are in deep space.

+Quote Post
Johnny Hammersti...
post Aug 4 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,514

It isn't much fun, but an caster who can project is and is specialized in astral combat is all you'll ever need.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 4 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #20

The ShadowComedian

Well, Space is a what?
A-10? -12? Mana-Ebb?
Dunno if Background-Count would be enough for the same effect . .
If that were the case, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Auschwitz and other such places would be the best places for stopping such things . .

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Aug 4 2010, 10:21 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Johnny Hammersticks @ Aug 4 2010, 05:17 PM) *
It isn't much fun, but an caster who can project is and is specialized in astral combat is all you'll ever need.

Astral combat?

Just stunbolt them from 100m, keep hitting till they get close, then fly strait up 100m and laugh hysterically as they run for cover. A duel natured creature's biggest fear is an astral entity with a ranged attack.

+Quote Post
Badmoodguy88
post Aug 4 2010, 10:21 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,765

As for HMHVV in the water supply. Take the scary virus of our day: HIV. It is easy to kill outside of a person, and it can not survive long outside of body fluids or excrement. Even then it is like 2-3 days tops unless you have a pool of blood thing going on. A lot of other viruses are a LOT more resilient to heat, cold, and age.

+Quote Post
Johnny Hammersti...
post Aug 4 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,514

QUOTE (Karoline @ Aug 4 2010, 06:21 PM) *
Astral combat?

Just stunbolt them from 100m, keep hitting till they get close, then fly strait up 100m and laugh hysterically as they run for cover. A duel natured creature's biggest fear is an astral entity with a ranged attack.

Sure, this is assuming ghouls have little in the way of tactics or brains. I'd think most ghouls who have brains left would gather around awakened ghouls and have tactics to not get slaughtered by astral attackers (wards, spirits, casters)

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Aug 4 2010, 10:49 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Johnny Hammersticks @ Aug 4 2010, 05:24 PM) *
Sure, this is assuming ghouls have little in the way of tactics or brains. I'd think most ghouls who have brains left would gather around awakened ghouls and have tactics to not get slaughtered by astral attackers (wards, spirits, casters)

But how many ghouls are awakened? Does the 0.1% from metahumans hold true? In that case, it shouldn't be hard to take out a few hundred ghouls before even seeing a mage ghoul. Similarly, not alot of mages are going to want to work for ghouls to set up astral defenses for them.

And even against an awakened ghoul, the projecting mage will be at an advantage because she can simply drop into the earth or pass through a wall so that the ghoul can't target her, then pop out to blast and go right back into hiding.

Edit: Besides, the ghoul mage is going to be just as big a problem in meat as in astral, so may as well fight the mage where only the mage can really fight, and not the other ghouls.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 4 2010, 10:51 PM
Post #25

The ShadowComedian

Technically, they are ALL awakened . .
Just about the same percentage as in the rest of the population of earth in 2060/2070 is also able to cast spells and summon spirits.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:57 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.