Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Exchange rate, Interesting things I found
Kronk2
post Aug 5 2010, 05:51 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,245

Given that the UCAS dollar is 4:1 versus the NuYen (4 dollars to the yen) and 2010 money says that the USD is 1:1.9 versus the AUD (Australian dollar) would that make the AUD about 8:1 versus the NuYen?

I would tend to think that Australia would be rather stable, economically speaking. While not a major economic powerhouse it has been crapped on a bit less than most of the rest of the world. With most of its natural resources intact (if not expanding) things are not that bad down under. If you consider the possibility of a mostly oil less economy down there, I would think it doing just fine thank you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Aug 5 2010, 06:14 AM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (Kronk2 @ Aug 5 2010, 07:51 AM) *
Given that the UCAS dollar is 4:1 versus the NuYen (4 dollars to the yen) and 2010 money says that the USD is 1:1.9 versus the AUD (Australian dollar) would that make the AUD about 8:1 versus the NuYen?

I would tend to think that Australia would be rather stable, economically speaking. While not a major economic powerhouse it has been crapped on a bit less than most of the rest of the world. With most of its natural resources intact (if not expanding) things are not that bad down under. If you consider the possibility of a mostly oil less economy down there, I would think it doing just fine thank you.

Considering that 1USD is pretty much 1 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) i would say that 2 AUD is 1 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) if we assume that Australia has a staple economy all the way to 2072.

+Quote Post
PoliteMan
post Aug 5 2010, 06:21 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,889

Honestly, after the US ends up splitting into what, 6 different nations, and after the chaos of goblinization, VITAS, multiple crashes, and the Awakening, exchange rates are a crap shoot, especially since I can't imagine much international trade happening in local currencies. Why not just use Nuyen?

+Quote Post
Inpu
post Aug 5 2010, 06:28 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,807

Some currencies, like the Aussie and US dollars, are currently linked. I'm not sure how much that might change with the new monetary system in Shadowrun. There is mention that CAS still has the dollar as well as the Nuyen in the 6WA I believe.

Also, Australia is doing... well, all right. It has permanent mana storms and all manner of problems with that, with some spirits descending on Sydney or other major coastal cities to get away from the chaos of the storms. So, it has its own brand of chaos but still operates.

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Aug 5 2010, 02:54 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

Pretty much every nation (and every corp for that matter) has their own currency. Most of them are linked to the nuyen in some way, but not all. When you're buying something for X¥, you may actually be paying in UCAS Dollars, CAS Dollars, Aztlan Pesos, British Pounds, Renraku Corporate Script, whatever. Using the nuyen just makes it much simpler for tracking purposes since this is, after all, a game. If you really want to get into currency exchange and all of that stuff, I'd recommend Corporate Shadowfiles, an old 2nd Ed book that went into a LOT of detail about how the global economy works in Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
Inpu
post Aug 5 2010, 03:02 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,807

Really? Huh. I got the impression that only some nations retained their own currencies with specific mentions for Amazonia, Aztlan's Peso, and CAS dollars (with a note on their stubbornness). Scripts are of course specialized, since they can only be used in approved shops, so I always saw them as credit.

Good to know though. Drat, there goes my scheme for collector's edition currencies that were phased out.

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Aug 5 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

QUOTE (Inpu @ Aug 5 2010, 09:02 AM) *
Really? Huh. I got the impression that only some nations retained their own currencies with specific mentions for Amazonia, Aztlan's Peso, and CAS dollars (with a note on their stubbornness). Scripts are of course specialized, since they can only be used in approved shops, so I always saw them as credit.

Good to know though. Drat, there goes my scheme for collector's edition currencies that were phased out.

Almost every nation that has its own currency will still take nuyen for most transactions. Doesn't really matter anyway because your credstick/commlink (depending on edition) will automatically convert the currency if the transaction's done by credit. And not very many transactions are still done via cash, even though some nations do mnint their own hard currency. I'd bet that, after the chaos of the last crash, hard currency would be much more common as a lot of people wouldn't trust computer networks anymore.

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Aug 5 2010, 04:49 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Abstruse @ Aug 5 2010, 10:27 AM) *
I'd bet that, after the chaos of the last crash, hard currency would be much more common as a lot of people wouldn't trust computer networks anymore.

I am wondering how many folks are hoarding precious metals. Even now the gold and silver people are trying to get us to buy all we can. Course, that is part of why the economy went even more sour during the depression.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Aug 5 2010, 05:30 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

Collected ¥ exchanges rates (from Shadows of North America and Shadows of Europe).

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Aug 5 2010, 07:10 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Kronk2 @ Aug 5 2010, 01:51 AM) *

You forgot that 1 USD doesn't equal 1 UCAS dollar.

+Quote Post
MJBurrage
post Aug 5 2010, 07:52 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 11,507

I just updated the linked SWW article with the Québec franc (f), and some detail on exchanging funds from the SoNA web supplement.

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Aug 5 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Aug 5 2010, 02:10 PM) *
You forgot that 1 USD doesn't equal 1 UCAS dollar.

I agree that is a specious argument at best, but I lack better data.

+Quote Post
MJBurrage
post Aug 5 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,507

If you look at the prices of mundane everyday items that have been given, it is pretty clear that 1¥ ~ 1 US$.

It always made sense to me that as the US balkanized into UCAS, CAS, CalFree, etc. that its currency would drop in value notably hence 1 US$ ~ 1 ¥ ~ 4 UCAS$.

P.S. I also added the rest of the missing currencies I could find to the nuyen article at SWW.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 5 2010, 09:06 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

I've told my group that the Nuyen goes for about UCAS$5 in 2070. And they've found a briefcase of $1000 "Blueback" bills.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 5 2010, 09:06 PM
Post #15

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Yeah, the easiest rule of thumb is $1 (2010) for 1¥ (2070). It's not perfect, and it's less perfect if you use dollars from 1980-2010 and nuyen from 2050-2070, but screw it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I'm not going to the trouble. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:33 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.