IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RL: Though-controlled artificial limb approved for human testing, The future is NOW!
Abstruse
post Aug 5 2010, 04:23 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,488

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/...00804081227.htm

That's pretty much it...the first artificial replacement limb that can be controlled by thoughts has been approved for human testing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hand-E-Food
post Aug 6 2010, 01:22 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,592

Tune in next week for cyber psychosis!

Jokes aside, cool! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Aug 6 2010, 01:59 AM
Post #3

Running Target

That's definitely an Obvious Cyberlimb...but I'm wondering if there's any sort of strength enhancement on it myself.

+Quote Post
Chainsaw Samurai
post Aug 6 2010, 02:01 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,890

I'm trying to find an article I read in a Nat Geo in a dentist's office, I can't seem to find it.

It's a cyber arm, currently in testing, but real-life testing by a one-armed woman who owns a daycare. It isn't brain controlled, but hooks up to the arm in certain places to read the electrical impulses that would be sent to the stump and otherwise fizzle out.

Probably common knowledge, but Rush Limbaugh has 2 cochlear implants to fix a genetic deafness.

Also, cybereyes, very primative but it's a start: http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/08/telesco...ved-by-the-fda/

There is another eye implant I can't seem to find, but it involves thin electronic receptors implanted in the eye. I don't 100% recall how they're supposed to work, but they can restore blurry vision to the blind. Here's a different approach to an eye implant http://www.gizmag.com/australian-bionic-ey...d-vision/14680/

Here is the beginning of the Matrix, http://www.physorg.com/news124723221.html

Rudimentary mind controlled videogames. If that isn't enough for you, Sony currently has a couple of patents for some sort of device that can use ultrasound to provide input to your brain, http://ignoranceisfutile.wordpress.com/200...al-life-matrix/ (this isn't a great article on the subject).

I'm pretty interested to see where the next decade takes us.

+Quote Post
Badmoodguy88
post Aug 6 2010, 02:36 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,765

The problem they had before with electrodes in the brain is that the signal degrades over time, but maybe they licked that problem, or maybe they didn't but it is still worth it.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 6 2010, 02:38 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

All I know is that my Father is already a Cyborg. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

And a friend of mine cliams that title as well. And he sets off airport metal detectors, which was a problem when he was doing contract work around North America in the Post-9/11 Security.

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Aug 6 2010, 02:52 AM
Post #7

Running Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 5 2010, 08:38 PM) *
All I know is that my Father is already a Cyborg. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

And a friend of mine cliams that title as well. And he sets off airport metal detectors, which was a problem when he was doing contract work around North America in the Post-9/11 Security.

That reminds me, I need to look up what happened with that cyborg guy's lawsuit against the TSA for making him remove all his computer equipment. Apparently, he wore it CONSTANTLY and it caused psychological damage to remove it all. No idea what he was doing with it (I think he was a professor at a university so his job description required him be weird as hell), but the guy was ahead of the curve.

I'm betting overlaid displays on goggles/glasses are going to be popular very soon as much as everyone has their face buried in their iPhone/Droid/BlackBerry/etc. There a set of goggles available now for smartphones for under $100, but every single person who's worn them has complained about horrible, horrible motion sickness. As soon as they fix that problem, I'm betting it's going to be insanely widespread.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Aug 6 2010, 03:27 AM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

I'm just afraid that these new-fanged cybernetics are gonna cost me an arm and a leg.

/here a week, try the veal.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Aug 6 2010, 05:37 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Aug 5 2010, 10:27 PM) *
I'm just afraid that these new-fanged cybernetics are gonna cost me an arm and a leg.

Nope... just your first born child. Don't worry... we don't send them to the ghouls until they've grown a bit.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:40 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.