Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Mar 2 2004, 07:52 PM
Post #2

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

They're essentially kids or teenagers (less than 21 years old) of any race who have the ability to see the matrix without a deck. This means that they simply plug the datacord from their datajack in and they're online.

Their online persona -- called the living persona -- is based on their mental attributes. They have 5 skills called Access, Control, Index, Files, and Slave that correspond to the systems operations performed against said subsystems. Their complex forms are the approximation of offensive, defensive, and special utilities.

All otaku have a +1 to detection factor simply for being an otaku. they also are either technoshamans who get a -1 to TN for using their channels (mentioned above) or cyberadepts who get modifications when using complex forms. Actually -- someone confirm that for me, please.

Their matrix initiative is always their intelligence + 4d6 which makes them super speedy, too.

I think that's the basics .... anything else?

+Quote Post
Siege
Post #3

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,916

Otaku -- basically kids who have a supernatural connection with the Matrix. They have the ability to warp it to their particular needs, far exceeding standard decker capability.

Think of that little bald kid from Matrix and you get the idea.

-Siege

Edit: Yeah, what Dai said. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Nikoli
Post #4

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Otaku don't need programs or decks or anything other than a datajack and a simsense interpreter to play inthe matrix.

They are also almost all under 21 as they begint o lose the ability at the age of 21.

And they can have higher than normal mental attributes at the cost of lower than normal phyical ones.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Mar 2 2004, 07:53 PM
Post #5

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

One other thing -- they're always less than 21 years old because at 21 they begin the Fading which is the slow degredation of their otaku skills. Eventually they're just like everyone else except they have awesome programming capabilities.

Wow -- three responses all came in at almost exactly the same time.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 2 2004, 08:47 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

All three responses are also not entirely correct. That is what Otaku usually refers to, but in the earlier books, especially the Denver Boxed Set, it's made clear that not all Otaku can deck naked. An Otaku is a member of an urban technofetishist tribe made up primarily of young kids, a significant number of which can deck the matrix sans deck. Others, however, just happen to be really good child deckers. Also, you can find older Otaku, they just tend no longer to have their powers. I'd also say that most Faded Otaku would probably have moved on, with only a few remaining with the Tribe.

And you can have a 90-year-old Otaku with all powers intact, it's just insanely unlikely. You'll still find Otaku with significant portions of their powers in their mid-20s, though.

~J

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Mar 2 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

Otaku who are still using decks have yet to experience the Deep Resonance, which turns them into real Otaku.

Older Otaku who lose their skills are still awesome deckers and deckmeisters.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 2 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

That's also not entirely true. Some Otaku never do hear the Deep Resonance, but deck alongside their Resonance-hearing brothers.

~J

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 3 2004, 02:04 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

So what happens when you try Leonization on an Otaku?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 3 2004, 02:26 AM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Their physical body is rejuvenated. It won't do much, as the body doesn't really start deteriorating that much until afterwards, and it wouldn't affect the basic problem anyway.

~J

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 3 2004, 02:39 AM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Are you so sure it wouldn't let them keep going?

I don't have Matrix or SOTA: 2063 so I'm really in the dark about this stuff. I think it'd be cool, though. I bet their powers would start getting twisted or weird, what with them cheating the natural way of things and all.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 3 2004, 02:42 AM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

I'm pretty sure, as the basic problem is the so-called "hardening of the thought arteries" with age. They lose the flexibility that allowed them to communicate with the Matrix without an intermediary, unless an AI steps in and forcibly rearranges their grey matter.

~J

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 3 2004, 02:59 AM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

yeah. my view is that it's related to neural pathways--trails of brain cells, basically, that the brain gets used to using. in kids, those pathways aren't imprinted very deeply; it doesn't take a lot of work to undo one and make another. as you start to age, however, those pathways become more and more set in their ways; this is related to why adults have a harder time learning new things than kids.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 3 2004, 03:35 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Ok, I guess I can buy that.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 3 2004, 04:29 AM
Post #15

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

You missed the old guy that did not seem to have Faded and isn't insane(much).

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post Mar 4 2004, 10:16 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,491

The earliest mention of the otaku appears to be in Prime Runners. It doesn't use the word otaku, but it's there. The entry to do with a young decker has it in.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 4 2004, 05:37 PM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

The first mention of Otaku as Otaku was in the Denver sourcebook. That may or may not predate Prime Runners, I'm not sure.

~J

+Quote Post
fish
post Mar 4 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 6,120

my question here is why do some otaku believe that Deus is the resonance &nd why others don't... :dead:

+Quote Post
ShadowPhoenix
post Mar 4 2004, 11:02 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,568

Some Otaku believe that Deus is the Resonance is because AI's in general have some kind of ability to convert deckers into Otaku, and those that are created this way are led to believe that the AI that created them must be the Resonance. Basically any Otaku that believes Deus or any other AI is the resonance, is being manipulated by the AI. Resonance following Otaku IIRC hate and are at war with AI generated Otaku.

+Quote Post
Phase
post Mar 9 2004, 03:15 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 775

AFAIK AI created Otaku also don't have their power away from the AI systems, so are a severly handicapped breed.

+Quote Post
Traks
post Mar 9 2004, 03:20 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,685

Yeah. I'd say that Deus is Resonance poser.
You know, like Elf posers :P

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 9 2004, 03:34 PM
Post #22

Manus Celer Dei

Well, he needs a flaw somewhere to make up for all the attributes and skills he has...

~J

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:49 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.