Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any News From GenCon?
Prime Mover
post Aug 8 2010, 03:22 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

Anyone have got the goods from the con? I was peeking in from time to time on Neoncons live feed this year but never got to see any SR stuff. Missed it or they never covered any of it. I did catch the ennies live which was cool.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Aug 8 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #2

MechRigger Delux

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 1,657

Well I'm home with my print copies of Spells and Chrome and 6WA. Unfortunately I wasn't there for the "What's up" session; and I can't talk about anything else I heard (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Aug 8 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #3

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,688

Gencon was a blast. Next year my team and I will actually run the 8-hour TT/LARP event. I'm still not sure what the Who's Run folks knew what to do with us. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
otakusensei
post Aug 9 2010, 12:24 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,514

QUOTE (Caine Hazen @ Aug 8 2010, 03:23 PM) *
Well I'm home with my print copies of Spells and Chrome and 6WA. Unfortunately I wasn't there for the "What's up" session; and I can't talk about anything else I heard (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Did they manage to proof Spells and Chrome yet? Or did they go to print with PCC and PPC switching out several times in the same paragraph?

+Quote Post
Eugene
post Aug 9 2010, 12:55 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,625

Right! Because the story is TOTALLY unreadable with that mistake.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Aug 9 2010, 01:00 AM
Post #6

Runner

QUOTE (Eugene @ Aug 9 2010, 01:55 AM) *
Right! Because the story is TOTALLY unreadable with that mistake.

If it breaks the flow of the story, then it's going to be a problem. I didn't pick it up - I was more concerned getting a hold of the 20th anniversary edition.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 9 2010, 01:19 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Aug 8 2010, 08:00 PM) *
I was more concerned getting a hold of the 20th anniversary edition.

Oh sure, twist the knife that my pre-order of that STILL hasn't arrived. I don't mind. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

So, folks that picked up 6WA, worth the buy? I'm wondering if I want to Special Order it from my FLGS.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Aug 9 2010, 01:52 AM
Post #8

Runner

QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 9 2010, 02:19 AM) *
Oh sure, twist the knife that my pre-order of that STILL hasn't arrived. I don't mind. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

So, folks that picked up 6WA, worth the buy? I'm wondering if I want to Special Order it from my FLGS.

Did you order the leather-bound, SuperUltraGoddamnFantastic version? I didn't. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Differences between the .pdf and hardcopy aside, it's worth the buy IMO. I'm still wishing I had a few more ducats so I could've gotten one of the limited edition Attitude cover art prints in BigSize™.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 9 2010, 03:09 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Aug 8 2010, 08:52 PM) *
Did you order the leather-bound, SuperUltraGoddamnFantastic version? I didn't. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

No, just the PDF/Print Combo. The PDF I have.

Funny part, it was an early birthday gift, and another birthday just rushed past me.

I'm starting to feel old... Time to upgrade. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
kzt
post Aug 9 2010, 04:14 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 8 2010, 08:09 PM) *
No, just the PDF/Print Combo. The PDF I have.

You should contact them about this.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 9 2010, 04:39 AM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (kzt @ Aug 8 2010, 11:14 PM) *
You should contact them about this.

I have.

Let's get back to GenCon news.

+Quote Post
Eugene
post Aug 9 2010, 01:09 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,625

Indeed. SOMEBODY must have gone to the Shadowrun seminar.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Aug 9 2010, 01:15 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

Probably still "recovering".

+Quote Post
CollateralDynamo
post Aug 9 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,864

I didn't go to the Seminar, but I played some Missions games, the Scramble, and picked up 6WA and Corp Guide.

The missions I played in were a lot of fun and things really start going over the top near the end of Season 3! The Scramble was also cool, adding in a part where we had to run around the whole convention area and find people and drag them from hotel to hotel as other shadowrun teams tried to jump us.

I haven't had a chance to do anything more then flip through corp guide, but I've read the first half or so of 6WA. Its shiny and pretty like the SR4A, I have noticed a fair number of typos indicating that it was rushed, but its still very readable and has a lot of detail on the history of the world. I am still going through the history chapter, every page is a year of the SR history from 1999 on. I'm up to 2030 or so and those Vitas plagues and racial disharmonies just won't stay down! I'd recommend picking that up, I think its worth its slightly steeper pricetag.

+Quote Post
The Limper
post Aug 9 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 18,825

Thanks for the update folks.

I am glad 6WA is out in print already, I look forward to picking that up. Did you hear anything about the Runner's Toolkit?

Thanks,

The Limper

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Aug 9 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #16

Runner

Asked a few questions re: release dates at the booth, and as I recall the release schedule is as follows:

Dawn of the Artifacts pt 3
Runner's Toolkit
War!
Attitude

I might be off, there was a bit of sensory overload. It may be DotA, War, Toolkit instead.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Aug 9 2010, 07:49 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

I know the DoTA came out a while back, yet I have not seen it in my FLGS. WHen is that comming out in print? Or did it already?

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Aug 9 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #18

Runner

The third book in the series is coming out in print - there's already Dawn and Dusk, I want to say.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Aug 9 2010, 07:53 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Aug 9 2010, 09:10 PM) *
Attitude

Yea attitude is finally in the chelude.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Aug 10 2010, 09:30 PM
Post #20

Technomancer

Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Aug 8 2010, 05:37 PM) *
Gencon was a blast. Next year my team and I will actually run the 8-hour TT/LARP event. I'm still not sure what the Who's Run folks knew what to do with us. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If you guys were the ones that I think you were, then you were awesome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I was the Who's Run "actor" that sat on the far right if you were facing us.

+Quote Post
Semerkhet
post Aug 10 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,079

I went to the Shadowrun GM Bootcamp seminar. It was all right, but I wasn't really the target demographic for it.

I played in one Missions game, my first ever. It was pretty bad, as a result of:

1) Very loud room. Many gaming tables with not even curtains separating the tables. I could barely hear and understand the GM two seats away from me. He was a bit soft-spoken, but still...

2) Eight players. Whose bright idea was this? A four-hour one-shot at a con with eight people competing for face time and attention equals frustration for all. This issue was aggravated by #1.

3) The GM seemed only passably conversant with SR4 and admitted to having been roped into GM'ing our scenario at the last minute. The results were predictably bad.

#3 became especially insulting when near the end of our session a large number of CGL staff and volunteers(I presume) started a big meeting in the same room we were playing in to talk about the SR tournament. So you can put together twenty people to have a meeting about the tournament but you can't muster a person to run a Missions game who knows the scenario or the rules? Color me unimpressed.

I have no real complaints about my fellow players, except that there were too many of them. The GM seemed a good guy but out of his depth. Anyway, I hope my experience was the exception to the rule.

+Quote Post
yesferatu
post Aug 10 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,916

I'm not sure I'd call much of it "news".
I went to the GM seminar, a run, and the What's Up thing.
It was some of the most informative and fun stuff I saw all 4 days.
Most of the What's Up stuff was common knowledge, but it's nice to meet the people who actually build the game.
They toyed with space exploration and the upcoming Attitude and War releases.

Didn't Catalyst win second best overall or some crap?
I did a bunch of D&D and Rio Grand games, but the Shadowrun rooms were definitely worth the 6 hour drive.

*I will add that the game room was loud and most of the games were overpopulated.*
That will probably just motivate people, possibly me, to run a few games next year.
I had trouble getting into a run as most of them were full up only a few short days after prereg.

This post has been edited by yesferatu: Aug 10 2010, 10:05 PM

+Quote Post
Semerkhet
post Aug 10 2010, 10:05 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,079

QUOTE (yesferatu @ Aug 10 2010, 04:02 PM) *
I'm not sure I'd call much of it "news".
I went to the GM seminar, a run, and the What's Up thing.
It was some of the most informative and fun stuff I saw all 4 days.
Most of the What's Up stuff was common knowledge, but it's nice to meet the people who actually build the game.
They toyed with space exploration and the upcoming Attitude and War releases.

Didn't Catalyst win second best overall or some crap?
I did a bunch of D&D and Rio Grand games, but the Shadowrun rooms were definitely worth the 6 hour drive.

Hmm, now I'm wondering which person you were in the GM seminar.

+Quote Post
yesferatu
post Aug 10 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,916

I was the tall guy on the right talking about exploiting min/maxers weaknesses.
I did want to mention that I found some urban tile terrain that I really liked.
I still need building interiors/exteriors but the packs I got will cover street placement much better than I had thought.
Check it out.
Now, if I could just find decent character figs.

This post has been edited by yesferatu: Aug 10 2010, 10:39 PM

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Aug 10 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #25

Technomancer

Member No.: 3,374

@Semerkhet
Sorry to hear that your Mission went poorly. Re: the tournament meeting, I was a little put out by that as well. I ran two games in the 4PM to 8PM slot on both Friday and Saturday just prior to the Tournament and was a little miffed that I was asked to wrap up my games at 7:30PM rather than the scheduled 8PM so that the Tournament could start on time. On the other hand, since the Tournament is scored and has prizes and stuff, having one table that starts later than the others would be something of a detriment to that team. Regarding the noise level, that's an issue every year. I think it was actually better this year since we were in the Embassy Suites and at the end of the hallway. Might not make you feel better, but last year the room was in the Hyatt right next to some of the open gaming tables on the second floor so you were not only contending with the other noise from the Catalyst tables but also a lot of hallway sounds! Maybe next year when the convention center is fully completed things'll be better, but I suspect the noise issue will remain the same until we invent select sound filters.

Nice to see that some DSF-ers were attending the GM boot camp. I suspect I know the answer to this question, but which was better for you: the first 70-75 minutes about general GMing or the remaining time when we focused on rules, and by rules I mean hacking (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:59 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.