IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> In the Long Shadow of Steel & Glass recruitment, persistent world runs set in Seattle, 2069
noonesshowmonkey
post Aug 9 2010, 05:56 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,125

Gritty, street level Sandbox SR4A in Seattle, 2069.

ILSSG is an open-world rendition of Shadowrun. The game is hosted at a ProBoards forum with resources on Obsidian Portal. Currently, games are managed Play by Post with a few periodic deadlines to move play along. Basically, this means that I ask that a given scene be wrapped up within a certain number of days or posts. Original intentions included using RP Tools and Ventrilo to have live-play capability or just to resolve particularly tense or complex tactical scenes.

Being a sand-box style game, player characters can go anywhere (within reason) and do anything (again, within reason). The majority of activity is handled in an In Character forum titled ShadowSea.Seattle@Jackpoint. This is an open-world IC play-space where PCs go about their business. Within the open-world space, run seeds are generated based on the activity. These run-seeds create 'instanced' content in the form of small scale (generally GM and single player) IC threads or 'Active Runs' - a traditional Shadowrun scenario with a team.

As a result of the format, several of the problematic tropes of table gaming are resolved:

1) Characters are never 'required' to take a run. When gaming with your friends at a table, there is often some (serious) mental-jujutsu required to justify the presence of a given character in a run that places them well out of their element. ILSSG characters only take runs that they want (or need).

2) Too many chefs in the kitchen. Many times, groups end up having two (or more) PCs that do the same thing. Sometimes this is a problem. ILSSG allows each Player to manage up to three PCs, allowing them to pick whomever they are most interested in or feel might be best suited for a given 'run.

3) Positive and Negative qualities rarely come up. Many games (rightly) place emphasis on the major run itself. This leaves down time between runs sorely over-looked and can often make Negative Qualities like Addiction or Enemy or Wanted into more of window dressing than character flaws. ILSSG takes place over a series of months in a world that lives and breathes and grows (with or without you). Incidence ratings mean a lot more over such a timeline.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DrZaius
post Aug 9 2010, 05:59 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 12,360

Grub purses his lips, and tents his fingers.

"I'm in." he says, with a toothy grin.

+Quote Post
Abschalten
post Aug 9 2010, 06:06 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 7,655

I might be interested. My posting frequency will be determined by whether or not I can access this outside site from work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) But I do tend to post pretty frequently, and respond quickly to changes in the game.

+Quote Post
Traul
post Aug 9 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

"The Brain heard that you need some muscle? If the cred is good, The Brain will come."

+Quote Post
Traul
post Aug 10 2010, 03:18 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

I have been browsing the other characters to get an idea of the power level you are looking for, and some of them have attributes of 10. How do you rule that? Like SR3 (cyberware can bypass the augmented maxima, not bioware)?

+Quote Post
noonesshowmonkey
post Aug 10 2010, 04:33 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 9 2010, 11:18 PM) *
I have been browsing the other characters to get an idea of the power level you are looking for, and some of them have attributes of 10. How do you rule that? Like SR3 (cyberware can bypass the augmented maxima, not bioware)?

Clint's 10 Reaction is a result of player and GM ignorance. Clint's character is based on the Clint Eastwood character The Man With No Name and thus places as paramount the quickdraw. Reaction is pretty important, no? Both the player and I simply did not note the exceeding of maximal augmented attribute.

The ruling on this is that SR4A's racial and augmented maximums are indeed the ceiling for abilities.

+Quote Post
noonesshowmonkey
post Aug 10 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

The following is an example of an NPC from the Locals and Notables section of the In the Long Shadow of Steel & Glass Obsidian Portal site. Most resources on the site are written to emulate the format of ShadowLand or ShadowSea postings.

Sean Mac Cathain, or Sean Keanne, is an irishman straight from the Tir na Nog and mafia lieutenant. His thick brogue makes speaking with him difficult, a trait that Keanne finds rather amusing. Imported from the old Eirrin Ile during the dustup that found Rowena’s family at the head of mob activity in Seattle, Keanne’s arrived in Seattle due to a longstanding blood-alleigance to O’Malley family. Mac Cathain is no soldier, that is for sure. Instead of a triggerman, Sean runs operations and is a people person, able to run a room within moments of setting foot inside.

> Word on the street is that Mac Cathain is on ‘time out’ from the Tir and got shipped across the pond for seriously fucking up.
> Twitch

> A bird told me that Keanne got detained at Sea-Tac for fully four days when he arrived in the UCAS. He didn’t even route through Tir Tairngire. He must have cheesed off some serious players.
> Cash Breaks

> Mac Cathain started off in Tir Na Nog as a golden gloves boxer before falling face first into the mob. I bet he still has some moves.
> Mercury Chrome

+Quote Post
noonesshowmonkey
post Aug 17 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

There has been a lot of action over at the ILSSG Forum as the first run gets underway. We are up to five registered players with at least one more in the wings. There is room a plenty.

Currently, four characters are on their way to a meet in Tacoma while some Spikes gangers are causing all kinds of holy hell on the I-5.

The current run caps out for players at five - I can't really handle any more than that at any given time.

This by no means is to say that more players to the game at large are unwelcome. Come on by the forum and browse around a bit and check out what is going on in our little slice of Seattle back in 2069. Head over to the ILSSG Obsidian Portal site and poke around a little. There is a wealth of contact and location information as well as an ever expanding list of house rules and tweaks to gameplay that help make our runs In the Long Shadow of Steel & Glass more interesting and rewarding.

Check it out. Maybe your character can make a name for themselves... or end up floating in the sound.

+Quote Post
noonesshowmonkey
post Aug 25 2010, 09:40 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

The initial recruitment message has been cleaned up and edited for clarity.

The ILSSG Obsidian Portal site has been updated and cleaned up quite a bit. The information posted there has been heavily edited to reflect an audience not simply limited to my own close friends.

The layout and info ought to be far more helpful to a stranger that has not talked through my absurd vision with me over the phone.

Recruitment is still very much active. I am currently waiting on two new Players submissions for two new PCs and have two additional PCs coming in to me over the next few days from currently active players. The stable is filling out. Why not come give us a spin.

In addition to PCs, ILSSG can easily support guest and assistant GMs to run their own content under the setting's banner.

+Quote Post
DaedalusK71
post Sep 22 2010, 12:39 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 18,164

I'd like to express interest with the following character...

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:15 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.