Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 6th World Higher Education, "Toga! Toga! Toga! Atlantian Foundation!"
Tiralee
post Aug 10 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,585

Hi all - trying to tap into the Dumpshock gestalt again.

I'm looking for information regarding Universities in the 6th world, specifically the magic or magic-based courses.

So far:
The Tir: Ex University of Oregon, good rep, not much on the actual courses, apart from one of the professors being good and the other not so. (TT)
Berkley: Ok, It's in San-Fran so the metas in the group aren't going to enjoy themselves. (NAGtNA, and I think Super Tuesday?)
University of Chicago: Uhm, moving right along... (The fluff from NAGtNA looked good...but, yeah, the Bugs...)
Gerogia Tech (Atlanta) Not much here, but mostly have 2nd ed fluff, so, yeah.
New York: Columbia University. Liberal Arts (WTF is this?) Pre-Business Law and the kicker...Mystic Studies/Parapsychology. ("Ahh, Dr Venkman")

(I just rewatched Ghostbusters again, weren't they from the University of Columbia, or filmed there? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )

Also some in the old Seattle Sourcebook (Bellvue?) but sweet FA on courses. Of course, that was set 2050, so undoubtably, it's all changed...again.

Hmm, need to find my Target UCAS again.

If you know of any others, drop a line in the thread:)

Tir.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Traul
post Aug 10 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

Corps provide higher brainwashing education for their citizens and their kids.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Aug 10 2010, 01:19 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

There's the Karlova University in Prague that's famous for its magic courses and for having a great dragon (Schwarzkopf) teaching magic.

+Quote Post
Fringe
post Aug 10 2010, 01:20 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,170

In Seattle (from what I could find in Seattle 2072):

Seattle University -- Masters in Magical Theory and Arts (most prestigious program in the Metroplex) (p. 61)
Pacific University -- close rival to SU
UW -- popular magical studies program (p. 44) (I've always homebrewed it that they had a ThD program, though it might have been mentioned in the old Seattle Sourcebook.)

Also, in Rotten Apple, I think it mentions the quality of NYCU's thaumatology library.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Aug 10 2010, 01:57 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

Feel free to add some in based on where you're at. For example, STL has several notable universities that likely would have made the timeline split, turning the city into a biotech research area.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Aug 10 2010, 02:46 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,437

MIT&M

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Aug 10 2010, 03:03 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

Texas AM&M.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Aug 10 2010, 03:54 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Aug 10 2010, 10:46 AM) *
MIT&M

I thought it was MIT&T - Massachusetts Institute of Technology & Thaumaturgy.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Aug 10 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Aug 10 2010, 09:54 AM) *

That is correct. And it offers one of the best Thaumaturgy courses in all of North America.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Aug 10 2010, 06:12 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Aug 10 2010, 12:54 PM) *

Thaumaturgy, Magic, ain't them the same thing? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
But yes, you are rigth, I've made a mistake it is indeed MIT&T.

+Quote Post
LivingOxymoron
post Aug 10 2010, 07:47 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,905

Berkeley would NOT be anti-meta, for several reasons:

1.) The anti-meta sentiment was mostly in the city proper, and only because of Saito's California Protectorate. The East Bay (where Berkeley is located) was where all of the non-human labor lived. Also, Saito and his racist regime are long gone.

2.) Oakland, nicknamed "Orkland" in Shadowrun, was the epicenter of the Ork culture movement, and where the Or'zet codex was first deciphered. Given it's proximity to Berkeley (less than 5 miles), one can presume that the whole area is rather meta-friendly.

3.) I THINK (though I'm hard pressed to remember where I read it) that Berkeley is known as the "People's Collective" in canon. If so, then its a play on its modern stereotype of a ultra-liberal culture. Again, probably pretty meta-friendly. More than likely, they've got one of, if not the best, non-Hermetic Thaumaturgical departments outside of the NAN.

+Quote Post
Megu
post Aug 10 2010, 09:01 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,268

I recall Lakehead U in Thunder Bay having a strong shamanic studies program in SoNA.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 10 2010, 09:52 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Well, there's the ShadowSkool that's been talked about here.

+Quote Post
Acme
post Aug 10 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,866

Don't forget UCLA, USC and CalTech in LA. They were probably damaged in '61, but still operating as they were major thaumaturgy research centers. So much that the magical pranks warped the LA manasphere.

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Aug 10 2010, 11:14 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 17,952

QUOTE (Blade @ Aug 10 2010, 01:19 PM) *
There's the Karlova University in Prague that's famous for its magic courses and for having a great dragon (Schwarzkopf) teaching magic.

with a specialization in using magical bombardments in warfare?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 11 2010, 12:11 AM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Daylen @ Aug 10 2010, 06:14 PM) *
with a specialization in using magical bombardments in warfare?

No, that'd be the course Aden would teach... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Aug 11 2010, 12:44 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 17,952

QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 11 2010, 12:11 AM) *
No, that'd be the course Aden would teach... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

I think you missed my reference. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Schwarzkopf,_Jr.

+Quote Post
Minchandre
post Aug 11 2010, 03:39 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,468

QUOTE (LivingOxymoron @ Aug 10 2010, 01:47 PM) *
More than likely, they've got one of, if not the best, non-Hermetic Thaumaturgical departments outside of the NAN.

Probably one of the best Hermetic programs as well: as well as it's liberal leanings, Berkeley is known for being one of the best science and technology schools in the world.

Actually, that would be a great set-up: at Cal, the rival departments of Shamanistic and Hermetic magic and duking it out for students and funding. Shadowrun teams are hired! That would be awesome.

+Quote Post
JollySkull
post Aug 11 2010, 04:28 AM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 18,785

QUOTE (Minchandre @ Aug 10 2010, 08:39 PM) *
Actually, that would be a great set-up: at Cal, the rival departments of Shamanistic and Hermetic magic and duking it out for students and funding. Shadowrun teams are hired! That would be awesome.

Yes and they still throw tortillas at the Rose Parade. Thanks for the idea shadowrun used in college prank warfare. Played by college students. Completely meta.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Aug 11 2010, 05:24 AM
Post #20

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Aug 10 2010, 06:54 PM) *

That depends on what book your reading, both versions have been used in the past.

+Quote Post
Tiralee
post Aug 11 2010, 10:42 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,585

Ah, the gestalt came on through I...<This node is connected to the overlord, all hail Deus> Sorry, what? Blanked out a little there...

Thanks for the others. I read though CAS last night and lo-and-behold, there was UCLAS, nice.

Oh, the Berkley thing was due to some of my runners already visiting SanFran and the long memories of certain parties. (Seriously, it wasn't that much of an explosion, there was an earthquake rocking at the time so we got a bad deal...I'll shut up now.)

The Texas stuff I've got is set 2050ish, so yeah, somewhat outdated in the 2060's. (What edition now?)

MITM is a possibility, but the corp stuff there is thick. UCLAS is..interesting. But yeah, non-stop pollution and astral issues, ehew. Also, California is running a trifle hot as well. (More explosions. Ok, yes, these were big ones. Big wet ones.)

Prague....ooo, nice place, have to get a Shadows of Europe to see if there's enough background on it.

Basically, various characters might need to lie low for a while and what better way than to get an advanced degree? I mean, a bunch of uni students dressed in black, wearing trenchcoats and sporting various odd piercings vs your normal shadowrunners. I don't think I could spot the difference, unless it's all the pink mohawks....

We're all well aware of the "training your skills" mechanic, I assume a series of tests (term papers?) with the appropriate TNs would be a good enough test method?

But, exciting? Paying your own way, RP'ing student/professor/"Recruitment expert" interactions and the fun of cliques while learning would be exciting enough...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-Tir, and thank you all.

+Quote Post
Acme
post Aug 11 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,866

QUOTE (Tiralee @ Aug 11 2010, 03:42 AM) *
Ah, the gestalt came on through I...<This node is connected to the overlord, all hail Deus> Sorry, what? Blanked out a little there...

Ah man, thought Winternight finished you guys off... Ah well. *Cracks knuckles as his coyote-mask shimmers on* Just stand still for a second.

Anywho, you're welcome. And they're right, if you want, you could probably take any college in existence today especially if it does pretty big on tech, and use that. Just as long as the city it's in hasn't gone feral.

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Aug 11 2010, 12:57 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

QUOTE (Blade @ Aug 10 2010, 01:19 PM) *

Remember the White and Black Cloud monasteries from Shadows of Asia? That sort of thing.
Don't be afraid to make up your own on that score. There is probably some god-awful magician's university somewhere that teaches a standardised curriculum and looks like it escaped from Everquest, complete with everburning fonts of magical fire and a floating castle (because all magicians squander karma on that. Or blood magic. I suppose it'd be more likely in Aztlan). The deregulation caused by balkanisation would have caused thousands of 'for profit' schools to spring up too.

+Quote Post
suoq
post Aug 11 2010, 01:04 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 18,746

6th world mentions the University of Prague, the University of Cheyenne, Sorbonne University, University of Heidelberg, University of Heidelberg, Cambridge, University of Chicago, University of Seattle, University of Michigan, Harvard, University of Asamando (Nyamkopon), University of Alexandria, University of Nigeria, Kyoto University, Heidelberg, Univerzita Karlova, University of Galway, Edinburgh University, Johns Hopkins (kinda sorta - ya gotta read it), University of Texas, University of California-San Francisco (2069), University of Denver, University of Hawai’i at Hilo, Willamette University, University of Tír Tairngire, University of Minnesota, MIT&T, Darwin College. Dunkelzahn Institute of Magical Research, Institut Taumaturgique de Québec (ITQ) and the Université Laval.

Note that there is mention of groups of colleges near each other, one in England, one in Portland. In short the implication is that higher education hasn't gone away. One of the reasons given for not voting for Dunkelzahn is "He'll never have to send a child to college" (or something similar) indicating that sending children to college is still something people expect to do.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Aug 11 2010, 01:05 PM
Post #25

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

Wow how many Heidelbergs are there?
They're listed 3 times (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:43 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.