IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Improvised explosives, And the things you attach them to...
Siege
post Mar 2 2004, 08:38 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,916

What would happen if someone attached a tiny amount of c-12 to a fire extinguisher and then detonated the charge?

-Siege
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 2 2004, 08:46 PM
Post #2

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

I would have to say, teh case of the extinguisher make a resistence check, like any other barrier against explosives. 0 successes it explodes, 1 success it spews out entire contents and moves about 15 meters or so in a single combat round. 2 successes it gets a small whole, takes 3 full rounds to empty and tumbles and jumbles around 100 meters in distance (smaller hole, more focused applicationof the force), 3 or more success it get digned, bent and otherise useful.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 2 2004, 08:50 PM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

You'd get extra shrapnel effects and put out any fires in the vicinity.

~J

+Quote Post
Siege
post Mar 2 2004, 08:56 PM
Post #4

Dragon

And seriously complicate a mage's LOS for a round or two?

Provided he was in close proximity -- say, ground zero?

-Siege

Edited for circumstance

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 2 2004, 09:07 PM
Post #5

Chicago Survivor

The main problem is, that outer shell of a fire extinguisher is not neccessarily the main housing of the compressed gas inside. If I remember correctly, and I likely am wrong here, there is an inner ccylinder that actually houses the gass, then there is some space or insulation then the thin outer shell, this is so you don't freeze yourself when using it nor do you risk it exploding should it fall.

How much explosive are we talking here?

+Quote Post
Siege
post Mar 2 2004, 09:15 PM
Post #6

Dragon

That's a good question -- I'm not personally experienced in using C-4.

But based on demonstrations, I'd say it wouldn't take much to completely rupture a fire extinguisher.

-Siege

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 2 2004, 09:22 PM
Post #7

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

I'd count it as heavy smoke in the area for 1d6 turns, light smoke for another 2d6.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Mar 2 2004, 09:24 PM
Post #8

Dragon

QUOTE (BitBasher)
I'd count it as heavy smoke in the area for 1d6 turns, light smoke for another 2d6.

Any damage for the people standing within one meter of the extinguisher when it detonated?

-Siege

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 2 2004, 09:31 PM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

Yes, probably. I, in my dice-happy ways, would probably roll 1d6, then use that number of dice against TN 4 to stage up damage from Light or Medium and use a Power of 2+1d6. This all to represent the random element of such an improvised explosive.

~J

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 2 2004, 09:31 PM
Post #10

Chicago Survivor

The extinguisher here at work is 195 PSI in the green. It's a medium sized. I'd go with an 8S blast with a -1m radiating out. Double that if unarmored.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Mar 2 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

What type of extinguisher is it? Powder? Foam? CO2? Water?

I don't know how the rst of them work, but I saw them open the (big) water extinguisher in my flat a while back. The main section (containing water) wasn't pressurised at-all, I think the pressure came from a CO2 canister held inside. I'd imagine that when the handle was squeezed; it released CO2 in the central chamber which pushed the water out. If it is an extinguisher of that design, though, you could easily open it up and use the internal tank as a more potent & compact explosive.

Unfortunately I can't check as they removed that extinguisher, replacing it with a powder one, and I have no idea how it works.

+Quote Post
Rev
post Mar 2 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,034

How Stuff works, fire extinguishers

Seems like it would be very unlikely for the thing to explode. Most likely it would just crack open and dribble the retardant out, somewhat less likely the co2 canister might break open and violently force the retardant out of the outer cylinder in a second or two probably causing it to shoot off a bit.

The pressure involved also isn't nearly as high as one of those compressed gas cylinders (ie a helium one for filling up balloons. The regular fire extinguisher is at 195psi, while a high pressure industrial cylinder is at 500+ psi. I think the ones I used to use in the lab arrived filled to 2000psi. I have heard anecdotes about those being dropped and having their valves snapped off then shooting through walls and down streets a few blocks. I think they are nearly impossible to actually break in half though.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 2 2004, 11:46 PM
Post #13

Chicago Survivor

I was thinking about that, but let's remember that RPG's are rarely about reality. It's about the cool cinematics that we grow up with making us go "Wow, that was soooo cool."

+Quote Post
Siege
post Mar 3 2004, 01:38 AM
Post #14

Dragon

Oh well, so much for that idea.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 3 2004, 02:36 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

Who's to say that Fire Extinguishers aren't different in the sixth world, though?

Besides, I think it's likely that some shrapnel from the outer blast could pierce the inner container (which is probably not made to be banged around at all). So I'd still have it blow up.

+Quote Post
Bölverk
post Mar 3 2004, 03:03 AM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 4,453

QUOTE (Rev)
The regular fire extinguisher is at 195psi, while a high pressure industrial cylinder is at 500+ psi.  I think the ones I used to use in the lab arrived filled to 2000psi.  I have heard anecdotes about those being dropped and having their valves snapped off then shooting through walls and down streets a few blocks.

I've seen videos of what happens to a gas cylinder with a snapped-off valve. Scary stuff - anecdotes about going through concrete walls are no joke. Something to keep in mind next time someone starts swinging a Dikoted katana around in a laboratory environment...

+Quote Post
Hero
post Mar 3 2004, 04:42 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,996

Well I know some stuff that would make perfect FAE devices then, small compressed air tanks, the type you use in paintball. These little fraggers are filled to 3,000psi and can go all the way up to 5,000psi, make a nice shrapnel blast. And to add to the fun, some like the fiberglass and carbon fiber wrapped models have a thinner steel cylinder then the all steel models. 9oz-20oz CO2 bottle also make a great weapon, they really don't explode, they can fly at high speeds<fast enough to kill some one> . Or you can make them spew liquid CO2 all over the place making the area kinda cloudy, not as effective as smoke grenade but does some what of a decent job in enclosed spaces. And if some one is stupid enough to pick said CO2 bottle up, they will give them selves a real nice cold burn.

[Edit]
In paintball there are two main gases used in paintball, there is aid and nitrogen, so if you have the tank filled with N2 then you can have a FAE device. Just repalce the reg with a one way valve and provide an ignitor.
[/Edit]

[Edit]
I was thinking of nitrous Oxide, well these little tanks are general putpose in what they can be filled with, so just put some very highly combustible gas in there and you have a nice explosive device.
[/Edit]

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 3 2004, 04:55 AM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

They aren't FAEs, though.

~J

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Mar 3 2004, 06:30 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

Improvised explosives, And the things you attach them to...

Tie the dynamite to a stick and put it on the mine cart, silly.

+Quote Post
Body Hammer
post Mar 3 2004, 08:15 AM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 257

Who's to say that Fire Extinguishers aren't different in the sixth world, though?

You could go that way. But why would fire extinguishers in the future have been made much less safe than they are now?

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 3 2004, 08:20 AM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

If they became phenomenally better at putting out fires, the tradeoff might be worth it.

A lame excuse to justify it? Yep!

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Mar 3 2004, 09:32 AM
Post #22

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

They use dynamite to put out oil-well fires. Why not house fires? ;)

+Quote Post
Rev
post Mar 3 2004, 05:58 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,034

QUOTE (Hero)
[Edit]
In paintball there are two main gases used in paintball, there is aid and nitrogen, so if you have the tank filled with N2 then you can have a FAE device. Just repalce the reg with a one way valve and provide an ignitor.
[/Edit]

Nitrogen isn't flammable.

An oxygen or hydrogen canister could cause a really scary fire.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 5 2004, 03:35 PM
Post #24

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

a oxygen tank would not bring about fire on its own but pure oxygen makes it more likely that something else will burn. if i got things right the nevel of oxygen in the air is what controls how easy it is for something to catch fire.

hydrogen on the other hand would be scary as that would basicly react with the oxygen in the air!

allso, nitrogen is one of the most stable gasses out there. i think there are allmost nothing it reacts to.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 5 2004, 03:40 PM
Post #25

Chicago Survivor

QUOTE (Body Hammer)

You could go that way. But why would fire extinguishers in the future have been made much less safe than they are now?

Because it was more profitable that way.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:13 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.