IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MetaHuman Timeline, Sixth World Almanac thoughts.
suoq
post Aug 10 2010, 02:58 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,746

2024 the Metahuman Resource Center is open and the Fort Lewis Zoological Gardens is recently opened (end of 2003).

Elves and dwarves were first born in 2011, so they're about 13. Orcs and Trolls came about 10 years later, but, as I understand it, hit children at puberty as well, so some of the orcs and trolls are older than the elves and dwarves, but at this point still not of age. So the Metahuman Resource Center is focused on children or am I missing something?

I'm also assuming aardwoves are known by this time based on the Fort Lewis Zoological Gardens.

What are the metahuman rights protests in 2026 about? The elves and dwarves aren't even old enough to drive. Is it about getting metahumans in the same classrooms as humans? Is it about genocide (and if so, it's a genocide of children. That needs to be made a lot clearer.)

From a modern perspective, I'd be tempted to use the analogy of having 1/4 of the children be born autistic, and humanity not having a clue what to do about it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 10 2010, 03:31 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Goblinization also hit adults, so you got lots of orks and trolls around in 2024, most still adjusting to the new lifestyle.

Especially Trolls. Growing a metre in height will require learning how to walk again! Not to mention a particular dislike of low doorways, overhanging pipes, light fixtures that are smashed by horns...

+Quote Post
suoq
post Aug 10 2010, 03:42 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Ah. Thanks. I missed that. So you have adult trolls with human children as well as adult humans with troll children.

And that means Orc and Troll catholic priests and nuns. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Aug 10 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 10 2010, 03:42 PM) *
Ah. Thanks. I missed that. So you have adult trolls with human children as well as adult humans with troll children.

And that means Orc and Troll catholic priests and nuns. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Well, ex-Catholic.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 10 2010, 05:05 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 10 2010, 10:42 AM) *

And Grandma who became an Ork at 72. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

And major religions did not accept the rapid changes in the world well. On the bright side, the Catholic Church did not declair war on all Awakened like Islam did. Just said that Magicians, Goblinized, Elves and Dwarves, and so on, were Ungodly.

Or something like that. I don't remember the whole thing exactly. Maybe it's in 6WA?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 10 2010, 05:05 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 10 2010, 10:42 AM) *

And major religions did not accept the rapid changes in the world well. On the bright side, the Catholic Church did not declair war on all Awakened like Islam did. Just said that Magicians, Goblinized, Elves and Dwarves, and so on, were Ungodly.

Or something like that. I don't remember the whole thing exactly. Maybe it's in 6WA?

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Aug 10 2010, 05:12 PM
Post #7

Runner

QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 10 2010, 06:05 PM) *

The Catholics very nearly declared outright war on all the UGE. They were demonized, and later on the church started to fracture because of it.

It is in 6WA. Pretty much all the history fluff you could want is in 6WA, which makes it useful as hell.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 10 2010, 05:29 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

OK, I know what I'm ordering next month from my FLGS.

+Quote Post
suoq
post Aug 10 2010, 05:32 PM
Post #9

Running Target

As I mull this over, Goblinization seems to me to deserve a much deeper coverage. (If there's a better sourcebook for Goblinization, please let me know.)

With 10% being hit that's 40+ members of the United States House of Representatives and 10 or so members of the United States Senate. The only world leader mentioned as being goblinized are King George VII (possibly) and Joaquim Delmonte.

Days of Our Lives must have been a classic. Imagine trying to deal with 10% of your cast turning into Orcs and Trolls.

What did this do to hospitals and insurance? What happens when 5-10% of the population can't drive or even take public transportation anymore? Workplaces down another 10% of their workforce (followed soon by VITAS II, the return). People who won't leave the house because they don't even have clothing they can wear (nevermind looking the way they now look). I'm trying to image no longer being able to function with human sized hands, how the heck I'd use my bathroom, a frustrating life that seems is trying to make me lose my temper and horrible repercussions if I do.

With goblinization affecting adults, the repercussions are far reaching. How the world got from 2020 to 2025 to me seems to be a much deeper story than the book indicates.

---------

Note on the Catholic Church. There's Pope John Paul IV's position (2012: "abomination") and then there's Pope John XXV's position (end of 2013) which is "much more reformed/moderate". How much reformed/moderate he is isn't really gone into any detail. We know he's different enough from John Paul IV that the German Catholic Church splits off. We also know that by 2042, he becomes more liberal than any pope before him. What his position is during Goblinization is not mentioned as far as I can see. I don't know where Doc Chase is getting his belief that goblinized priests and nuns are kicked out of the church under Pope John XXV. It makes sense under Pope John Paul IV but doesn't seem to under John XXV.

---------

Edit: I am wholeheartedly enjoying the book. I don't know if the printed copy comes with access to the PDF map or if it comes with a printed map (or if the map is electronic version only), but the PDF map is a really nice resource.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Aug 10 2010, 05:58 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

What happens when that 10% runs out of food, money, gets eviction notices.

I'm not sure I buy The Catholic Church declaring Goblinoids Abominations before God.
Why is Goblinization treated any differently from leprosy?

The Catholic Church of the 21st century is very rural. The biggest growing sector is Africa and South America.
I could easily see it causing a schism, but jumping to "The Work of the Devil" when 10% of your user base is afflicted, seems a big leap.

I could totally see a Troll Catholic Priest, running a small Parish in the Barrens.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Aug 10 2010, 06:02 PM
Post #11

Runner

QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 10 2010, 06:32 PM) *
Note on the Catholic Church. There's Pope John Paul IV's position (2012: "abomination") and then there's Pope John XXV's position (end of 2013) which is "much more reformed/moderate". How much reformed/moderate he is isn't really gone into any detail. We know he's different enough from John Paul IV that the German Catholic Church splits off. We also know that by 2042, he becomes more liberal than any pope before him. What his position is during Goblinization is not mentioned as far as I can see. I don't know where Doc Chase is getting his belief that goblinized priests and nuns are kicked out of the church under Pope John XXV. It makes sense under Pope John Paul IV but doesn't seem to under John XXV.

That was the impression I got, yes. JP kicked them out.

---------

Edit: I am wholeheartedly enjoying the book. I don't know if the printed copy comes with access to the PDF map or if it comes with a printed map (or if the map is electronic version only), but the PDF map is a really nice resource.

It comes with a shiny, shiny, shiny printed map.

+Quote Post
suoq
post Aug 10 2010, 06:06 PM
Post #12

Running Target

dupe. oops. my bad.

+Quote Post
suoq
post Aug 10 2010, 06:06 PM
Post #13

Running Target

QUOTE (sabs @ Aug 10 2010, 12:58 PM) *
I'm not sure I buy The Catholic Church declaring Goblinoids Abominations before God.I could easily see it causing a schism, but jumping to "The Work of the Devil" when 10% of your user base is afflicted, seems a big leap

Just to be clear, the pope declares elf and dwarf babies as an Abomination in 2012. This position is unpopular enough that:
1) The French split off.
2) He's dead two years later and a new pope is elected.
3) The new pope is SO different from the last pope that now the Germans split off.
4) Exactly how different he is, isn't clear till 2042, but that difference is significant.

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Aug 10 2010, 01:02 PM) *
That was the impression I got, yes. JP kicked them out.
JP, at the point of goblinization (2021), has been dead for about 8 years. I agree that if he was around, he would have kicked them out, but he "died in his sleep". (I love that phrase in this case.)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:55 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.