Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Solving California's Water Problem, one town at a time with magic
RedmondLarry
post Mar 3 2004, 01:58 AM
Post #1

Senior GM

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,442

My magician has decided that water is valuable in California, and he may have a magical solution worth lots of nuyen.

Starting with Create Food (Target 4, Permanent, +1S drain) as a template, he wants to design the following spell:

Create Water (Target 4, Permanent, +1S base drain)
Area Spell (+1 Drain level)
Extended Area (+1 Drain Level)
Sustained (+1 Drain Target)

All three of these modifiers are available for manipulation spells. The resulting drain code would be +4D. He could easily design the spell at Force 1 in 15 to 30 days, learn it in another day, and bond a force 1 sustaining focus for this spell.

He could presumably visit a town with a dry reservoir, place and activate his spell focus, and create water in an area 60m in radius every Combat Turn until the reservoir is filled. After a few days he turns off the spell lock and moves on. He may take some drain placing the spell lock (resisting 4D), but it'll go away.

Comments?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 3 2004, 02:22 AM
Post #2

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Making it sustained would not allow it create more water. Sustaining it would simply keep the water you made until the spell is dropped, at which time the water would disappear. Think about barrier, it does not create an increasingly larger barrier while sustained.

Area and Extended would simply spread the same volume of water over a larger area.

+Quote Post
Playing Games
post Mar 3 2004, 02:38 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,500

Force 4 Great form water elementals can make 32CM of water every combat round.I think there are at least 8,640 rounds a day.So for a days cost of a reasonably skilled hematic you get ~200,000 tons of water.

Let's make that a force 6 elemental. You get more than twice as much.

If CFS had a water problem,and would pay more for water than a shadowrunner makes,there would be little not reason for hematic shadow runners in CFS.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 3 2004, 02:44 AM
Post #4

Beetle Eater

Every single 32CM of water is a service, IIRC.

Water Elementals last until their services are gone, not sunrise or sunset. Elemental conjuring materials cost 1,000 nuyen per force.

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Mar 3 2004, 03:00 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

I believe Create Water is already a canon spell in Target: Wastelands, the desert section.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Mar 3 2004, 03:13 AM
Post #6

Senior GM

Yes, thanks. Page 119. Same stats as I presented above. Creates approximately 4 liters per success. Do you think an area-affect version would create more? There is no indication that a higher-force spell has any benefit over a Force 1 spell.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 3 2004, 03:19 AM
Post #7

Beetle Eater

OurTeam
There is no indication that a higher-force spell has any benefit over a Force 1 spell.

Interesting. I though the number of servings for Create Food was force dependant (successes up to force or some such) and assumed Create Water was the same. If not, then I could see allowing an Area and Extended area. Though I would probably just make it force dependant. At some point one must say there is a reason for ritual magic and such. Weather magic is real in SR and groups are paid to perform it. Canon makes that profitable, so something like this cannot be to the same degree. But, I won't argue those points anymore. [handsoffsmiley]

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post Mar 3 2004, 03:51 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,834

People seem to dislike using the Create Food spell as a template. Last time I suggested create ammo and create Orichalcum they got mad.

Then again considering that spells like toxic wave create highly potent toxic chemicals I think just about anything can be created with enough study.

I can't see any reason to give a permanent spell the sustained option. What's the point? It's self-sustaining.

Anyway, what's the California population? If we divide that by 100 we can have a reasonable figure for how many magicians they have, and thus how much water they could make this way.

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Mar 3 2004, 04:02 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

I don't have my book handy, but I thought it said it can creat water for people equal to force. 4 Liters is about what a person needs to drink in a normal climate (not desert and under normal conditions(not exsersising) per day to remain healthy. If I remember correctly force 1 would be enough for the mage to survive on 1 casting.

As for the area effect, I would have to think about that. I can't remember exactly how that spell works canonically. Is it a transformation manipulation? If it is then I could see a chance of it being an area spell. If it is not I just don't see it being one.

EDIT: I too have created a creat"Blank" spell. My GM thought it was a great idea. He tried to take my spell even further then what I wanted ti to do. Basically making super uber. I purposelly made it weak and virtually a mind screw to cast. I figued if I could just cast a spell for what ever I wanted, then why play? I jsut made the spell to help in situations that migh only come up in very rare occasions. It was a roleplaying thing that my character is into finding and developing wierd spells.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 3 2004, 06:45 AM
Post #10

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Then again considering that spells like toxic wave create highly potent toxic chemicals I think just about anything can be created with enough study.
But it doesnt really. Fireball and Acid and the like do NOT stay in existance. they appear, cause their damage then dissipate. It's even addressed in the book.

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post Mar 3 2004, 08:10 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (BitBasher)
But it doesnt really. Fireball and Acid and the like do NOT stay in existance. they appear, cause their damage then dissipate. It's even addressed in the book.

Actually it doesn't say they vanish, just that the spells effects last for 1 combat turn. Some of them, such as spells that use smoke or sand effects, are obviously permanent. You could just say whatever fuel the fire burns is used up in 1 turn, or the acid tends to wear out it's potency and become inert in 3 seconds.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 3 2004, 08:34 AM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

The acid section in MitS states that it evaporates quickly.

Fire, lightning, blast, and light effects are instant, but the secondary effects may last.
Water, acid, smoke, and ice state a specific primary effect that lasts for the rest of the turn.
Metal and sand have neither type of limit.

+Quote Post
L.D
post Mar 3 2004, 09:38 AM
Post #13

Harlequin

Member No.: 861

The spell is a permanent one, which means that after you have sustained it for x number of turns you can drop the spell and the water will still be there.

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post Mar 3 2004, 10:16 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,491

Is the drain code for Create Water the same as for Create Food?

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Mar 3 2004, 10:25 AM
Post #15

Senior GM

QUOTE (simonw2000)
Is the drain code for Create Water the same as for Create Food?
Yes.

I agree that a permanent spell can't be modified to create over and over, so my trick won't work. I'd ask my GM to rule that an Area Affect Create spell should make more than the regular spell, or that an Extended version of the spell should create 10 times as much, but neither would be canon.

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions and comments.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Mar 3 2004, 11:04 AM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

QUOTE (Create Water @ P119, T:WL)
The number of successes (to a maximum  of the spell's Force) equals the number of adult humans the water will provide for (about 4 litres per success)
Now make it touch range and you have a +1(M) spell.

A good sorcerer with the spell (A dwarf with it at force 5 exclusive for reducd drain and a trauma dampener) should be able to create enough water to feed 19200 per day... If you tweaked that (higher initiative, albino gnome, higher force spell, add some foci, add centering) then you could just cast oxygenate on some of the 'lil buggers and throw them into a resevoir... They'd keep it at a reasonable level.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Mar 6 2004, 08:30 AM
Post #17

Guests

Where exactly are you going to cast this spell in Cali? L.A.? They need it, but the Magic Wars have left the astral just a tad FUBAR. The south bay? It's a toxic hell IIRC. The Mojave? Ditto on need, and they have their own magical problems. The Protectorate? ... The Crescent, where water does exist?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 6 2004, 08:35 AM
Post #18

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Where exactly are you going to cast this spell in Cali? L.A.? They need it, but the Magic Wars have left the astral just a tad FUBAR. The south bay? It's a toxic hell IIRC. The Mojave? Ditto on need, and they have their own magical problems. The Protectorate? ... The Crescent, where water does exist?

Filtering or Cleansing Metamagics.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Mar 6 2004, 08:40 AM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Cast it on your tanker truck just outside of the toxic area, and have that deliver the water...

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Mar 8 2004, 03:55 AM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 5,676

Rather than creating water, try condensing it from the air, or filtering it from the sea. Better yet, summon a water elemental and just have it purify water from the ocean and pump it into a tanker truck.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Mar 8 2004, 05:00 AM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Just wait until my sustained 'heat rock' based power plant goes on line, free electricity!

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post Mar 8 2004, 09:20 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

There's a lot of problems in SR that should have been solved a long time ago with magic. There should be no pollution as long as the purify spell exists, for instance. Quicken "Animate" on a turbine to produce pollution free power, or animate your cars so they run forever without gas. Create all the food you need to feed the hungry (although with the land clean you don't really need to, farming will be functional again). Purify water and alter the weather to fix droughts.

Of course Shadowrun is a Gritty and Dark world where problems are never solved, just made worse. I suspect that's the main reason nobody in the whole Sixth world manages to see such solutions, although I could also see some ways it could be integrated into the metaplot.

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Mar 8 2004, 09:26 AM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,302

There's not enough mana to sustain enough spells to solve the world's problems, or those of even a single city, let alone California. It's as simple as that.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 8 2004, 04:58 PM
Post #24

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Also long term sustained spells cause mana hazing and pollute astral space.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 8 2004, 05:11 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Getting loads of ideas for my Forgotten Realms port... :vegm:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:45 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.