Reply to this topicStart new topic
> To people who know the fluff well
CorvusVlos
post Aug 12 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,650

I'm trying to run a campaign in Austin, which is a border town according to the back of the book map (I played Shadowrun on the SNES, and that was my total exposure until the Not-so-Shadowrunnish 360 game). I don't really understand how I should run corps in town. Do they have branch managers? The idea I have is that AzTech is trying to take over Austin through various (and devious!) means. There's only one corp who hasn't jumped ship, and that's Renraku. So the runners, HOPEFULLY, will take Renraku's side and try to win back the city.

Does this work for the cannon of the established fluff?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
suoq
post Aug 12 2010, 08:13 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 18,746

1) This forum is for Shadowrun Missions, a series set in New York. You probably want the main forum.

Austin quick notes:
1) Lone Star was founded there.
2) It is ON the border between the C.A.S. and Aztlan.

There's a paragraph in it on 6th world, that (paraphrasing) describes it as two police states, one half held by Aztlan and the other by Lone Star.

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Aug 12 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #3

MechRigger Delux

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 1,657

moved to the correct section!

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Aug 12 2010, 08:55 PM
Post #4

Technomancer

Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (CorvusVlos @ Aug 12 2010, 02:43 PM) *
I'm trying to run a campaign in Austin, which is a border town according to the back of the book map (I played Shadowrun on the SNES, and that was my total exposure until the Not-so-Shadowrunnish 360 game). I don't really understand how I should run corps in town. Do they have branch managers? The idea I have is that AzTech is trying to take over Austin through various (and devious!) means. There's only one corp who hasn't jumped ship, and that's Renraku. So the runners, HOPEFULLY, will take Renraku's side and try to win back the city.

Firstly, it's your game, so do what you want! But, with respect to the fluff, you could probably put just about any of the megas up against the Big A in Austin if you wanted to, but Aztechnology and Horizon are known to be having a bit of a kerfuffle at the moment, so that would be another option other than Renraku. Ares would likely be another good one.

For really good fluff on the Confederation of American States you'd have to reach all the way back to Shadows of North America. There might be some information in the Sixth World Almanac that was more recently released, but I've not gone all the way through that.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Aug 12 2010, 08:59 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

QUOTE (Dashifen @ Aug 12 2010, 09:55 PM) *
For really good fluff on the Confederation of American States you'd have to reach all the way back to Shadows of North America. There might be some information in the Sixth World Almanac that was more recently released, but I've not gone all the way through that.

Nnnnnot a ton, actually. A good deal of North America was glossed over in favor of Africa and Europe, IMO.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 12 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #6

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

QUOTE (CorvusVlos @ Aug 12 2010, 09:43 PM) *

What do you plan on doing if the runners take aztechs side? ^^

+Quote Post
Critias
post Aug 12 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #7

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 12 2010, 05:09 PM) *
What do you plan on doing if the runners take aztechs side? ^^

Have Renraku offer them more money?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 12 2010, 10:56 PM
Post #8

The ShadowComedian

That's crazy enough for it to maybe even work . .

+Quote Post
Critias
post Aug 12 2010, 10:58 PM
Post #9

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

It's pretty rare to me for a team of Shadowrunners to pass up the moral choice and the mercenary choice. You might get some goodie-two-shoes that don't want more money if the employers are obvious dicks, and you might get a few stone cold professionals that don't care about the ethics of a job if the money's right...but if you offer 'em both you pretty much get the team by the nose.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 12 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #10

The ShadowComedian

*shrugs* never once in my time of playing shadowrun did any GM i played with manage to think of this simple solution to simply offer me more money, when i did not do what he expected / wanted my character to do . .

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Aug 13 2010, 02:41 AM
Post #11

Technomancer

Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 12 2010, 06:08 PM) *
*shrugs* never once in my time of playing shadowrun did any GM i played with manage to think of this simple solution to simply offer me more money, when i did not do what he expected / wanted my character to do . .

It usually works rather well, too. Alternatively, just run the game working for the Big A and see what happens. Back when Year of the Comet came out I decided that, in my version of the world, the Azzies were obviously behind the Shedim somehow. Wrote a whole story about that, then tossed the players into the mix to see how it all turned out. They worked with the Azzies for about a year of real-time play and released the Shedim on the world. When they realized what they'd done, their faces were priceless. Made it all totally worth it.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Aug 13 2010, 02:08 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

Side note:

IIRC: Renraku is not a big player in Austin. Lone Star is. Ares and KE are not. The CAS is in. Hey they hate the Azzies. THere are also smaller groups who want to liberate the conquered portions of texas (and are willing to start a war to do so).

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Aug 13 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #13

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

The way corporations divvy up geographical areas depends on the corporation in question. Renraku, for instance, divides the world up into regions, and each regions has subregions and so forth. Mitsuhama, meanwhile, divides it up by area of study, so there's a Matrix division, a Cyberware division and so on. Many organizations, like Ares, do both. S-K does whatever the hell they want, because they're run by a dragon who does weird things only dragons understand. So Renraku should have some sort of local manager in charge of that area, and through him the different lines of industry coordinate. I don't recall how Aztechnology works, but they may have a special division specifically for expanding strategically important markets, and in this case that would be in charge.

Most corporations will have representation in the area, but not corporate offices. Instead, they'll be represented primarily by subsidiaries. So you might not see Ares anywhere, but you do see Weapons World, Ford, Coleman and Creyon.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Aug 13 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

The Aztlan/Texas border is heavily militarized. a war will do that for you. I think as much as the azzie's would like a foot hold it would have to be through a lot of back door ownership. They have a lot of bad press in Texas and it is not all undeserved. Think of people in west Berlin druing the cold war hearing the Soviets are trying to move in behind the scenes.

A good run might be exposing/hiding such activity.

+Quote Post
Tiralee
post Aug 13 2010, 05:20 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,585

Treat it like East/West Berlin. And it's an "armed camp" mentality. Lots of "just head out there, then swing on back, and take a look-see. Run if you git lit up, and don't die too much".

Or in our current adventure, "Ok, now, these d1#kholes have gone and screwed us fer the last time. I want you good folk to go git yer murder on out there and we'll pretend we didn't see nothin', okay? Don't care how it's done, but I want you back here with a big honkin' bag of gen-u-ine Azz-i-tec-nology ears in a week. Hell yes, I'll pay fer yer ammo too. Now git!"

-Tir (you know it's bad when go-gangers have a Ferrari Appoloosa.)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:14 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.