IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Diseases as character gear, What is the cost?
Simon Kerimov
post Aug 13 2010, 03:21 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,806

How much would it cost to purchase samples of biowarfare agents at character gen? What kind of costs does a corporation go to to develop diseases?

Can a character purchase a medical shop or medical facility and produce diseases?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 13 2010, 03:40 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

OK, the very idea of a starting character just "Having" bioweapons as starting equipment as if they collect it like other spores, moulds and fungus...

Yeah, no.

+Quote Post
Kruger
post Aug 13 2010, 03:47 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,877

O_o

+Quote Post
Simon Kerimov
post Aug 13 2010, 03:50 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 12 2010, 10:40 PM) *
OK, the very idea of a starting character just "Having" bioweapons as starting equipment as if they collect it like other spores, moulds and fungus...

Yeah, no.

How hard can it be to design bioweapons in Shadowrun? Or, more to the point, how much harder would it be to design a harmful bacteria than it would be to design a soft nanite Savior Medkit?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 13 2010, 03:55 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Simon Kerimov @ Aug 12 2010, 10:50 PM) *
How hard can it be to design bioweapons in Shadowrun? Or, more to the point, how much harder would it be to design a harmful bacteria than it would be to design a soft nanite Savior Medkit?

The sad part is, not very. Good luck getting ahold of Smallpox, however. But there's lots of other options.

Which would probably flip off all kinds of flags if posted about.

+Quote Post
Surt
post Aug 13 2010, 04:03 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 18,207

the easier it is to genetically modify anything the easier it is to produce a virus capable of wiping out the world. Hell even most fertiliziers are modified on some level.

+Quote Post
Simon Kerimov
post Aug 13 2010, 05:00 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 12 2010, 10:55 PM) *
The sad part is, not very. Good luck getting ahold of Smallpox, however. But there's lots of other options.

Which would probably flip off all kinds of flags if posted about.

Mana-Active Aura Deficiency Syndrome is going to set off flags? I'll have to use more dragons and elves in my examples then.

Anyway, there are some great magical diseases that would be fun to introduce to Shadow Wars. We can dump MADS all over the playground and then all the ghouls would die without us having to shoot each and every one of them.

+Quote Post
Method
post Aug 13 2010, 05:53 AM
Post #8

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

The cost of developing a new agent (not to mention weaponizing it) would be well beyond the means of a starting character. A medical shop or facility is unlikely to have the necessary equipment. You'd need a microbiology lab (shop) at the very least and even then I don't think you'd have what it takes.

And such things are best left as plot devices anyway.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Aug 13 2010, 05:56 AM
Post #9

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

There are few bioweapons in the arsenals chemical chapter in the toxins list, Whitestar and Ymir you can even get at chargen with Restricted gear.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Aug 13 2010, 08:03 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 948

You want a bioweapon? Lets see...HMHVV III...

1: Chemistry Skill
2: Armorer
3: Demolitions

Find Ghouls
Kill Ghouls
Liquidate Ghoul in giant food processor
Mix DMSO+Ghoul Smoothie
Add mixture in Splash Grenade

Do the above but pour mixture in large drone with the Flashflood water cannon

What you need:
Land based ghoul hunting drone (X2)
GM Nissan Dobermans: 3000Y
Elephant Rifle: 6000Y
Smartgun Link: 400Y
Capsule Round: Pepper Punch (Will disable or knock out ghoul)

Land based ghoul transporter drone
CrashCart Autodoc: 4000Y
Mechanical Arm X2

Ghoul Bioweapon Dispersal Units
GTS Tower: 25000+ Water cannon 5000

Final things you WILL need:
Escape plan
New identity
Some stooge that gets blamed for the holocaust...

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Aug 13 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

QUOTE (Simon Kerimov @ Aug 13 2010, 05:21 AM) *
Can a character purchase a medical shop or medical facility and produce diseases?

I'd say 'yes' but it brings several problems
* it will take some very specialized knowledge. Genetinker aren't common. Genetinkers with sufficient knwoledge of metahuman physiology and how diseases works to cocncot their own variations are even rarer. And probably monitored closely enough to make such knowledge very unlikely in a shadowrunner

* the genemoding is the esay parts when it comes to material requirements - what's going to take deep pockets is the security features and the testing. Sure you might be able cook up a bioweapon by yourself in a motel room. But until you release your little babies, you'll have no reliable way to figure out things like contagion and mortality rates, how the various methauman stocks will react and so on. There also a very good chance to catch you own disease before you're ready as you'll have very little in the way of safety features...

*Last but not least, the mindset of a character willing to hang on potential genocide-level disease sample and play with them is one very few characters would want anything to do with. The reaction will probably be more 'flamthrower' than 'handshake'

+Quote Post
Simon Kerimov
post Aug 13 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Manunancy @ Aug 13 2010, 10:00 AM) *
I'd say 'yes' but it brings several problems
* it will take some very specialized knowledge. Genetinker aren't common. Genetinkers with sufficient knwoledge of metahuman physiology and how diseases works to cocncot their own variations are even rarer. And probably monitored closely enough to make such knowledge very unlikely in a shadowrunner

* the genemoding is the esay parts when it comes to material requirements - what's going to take deep pockets is the security features and the testing. Sure you might be able cook up a bioweapon by yourself in a motel room. But until you release your little babies, you'll have no reliable way to figure out things like contagion and mortality rates, how the various methauman stocks will react and so on. There also a very good chance to catch you own disease before you're ready as you'll have very little in the way of safety features...

*Last but not least, the mindset of a character willing to hang on potential genocide-level disease sample and play with them is one very few characters would want anything to do with. The reaction will probably be more 'flamthrower' than 'handshake'

Testing can be done in the wild. I'm guessing that the relevant point to prohibits most of this for characters is that we are disallowed from playing twisted or toxic characters. Even if the player is mundane, the angry spirits will still make their life hell, and a full facility for magical security is probably needed to manufacture anything that can be considered a "sin against nature".

And since I'm tired of other players PKing my characters for being amoral monsters, I think I'll accept that bioweapons are GM tools.

+Quote Post
Blastula
post Aug 14 2010, 02:05 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 17,527

QUOTE (The Jopp @ Aug 13 2010, 12:03 AM) *
You want a bioweapon? Lets see...HMHVV III...

1: Chemistry Skill
2: Armorer
3: Demolitions

Find Ghouls
Kill Ghouls
Liquidate Ghoul in giant food processor
Mix DMSO+Ghoul Smoothie
Add mixture in Splash Grenade

Do the above but pour mixture in large drone with the Flashflood water cannon

What you need:
Land based ghoul hunting drone (X2)
GM Nissan Dobermans: 3000Y
Elephant Rifle: 6000Y
Smartgun Link: 400Y
Capsule Round: Pepper Punch (Will disable or knock out ghoul)

Land based ghoul transporter drone
CrashCart Autodoc: 4000Y
Mechanical Arm X2

Ghoul Bioweapon Dispersal Units
GTS Tower: 25000+ Water cannon 5000

Final things you WILL need:
Escape plan
New identity
Some stooge that gets blamed for the holocaust...

The Ghoulpocalypse is upon us! Repent and rejoice! But seriously, I've house ruled the HMHVV rules with my group so that a ghoul with a head cold isn't gonna start Ghoulmageddon.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 14 2010, 02:17 AM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Blastula @ Aug 13 2010, 09:05 PM) *
The Ghoulpocalypse is upon us! Repent and rejoice! But seriously, I've house ruled the HMHVV rules with my group so that a ghoul with a head cold isn't gonna start Ghoulmageddon.

"The end is near!" "It is for you. Mmmmmmmmmmm... Type AB Negative blood?" "Yes..." "My favourite flavour marinade for the meat."

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 14 2010, 07:02 AM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (The Jopp @ Aug 13 2010, 03:03 AM) *
Mix DMSO+Ghoul Smoothie

actually, unless you houserule it the DMSO isn't necessary. ghoul blood is naturally contagious by contact (hmmm.... perhaps DMSO is made of ghouls! 0.o)

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Aug 14 2010, 07:27 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

QUOTE (Simon Kerimov @ Aug 13 2010, 10:28 PM) *
Testing can be done in the wild. I'm guessing that the relevant point to prohibits most of this for characters is that we are disallowed from playing twisted or toxic characters. Even if the player is mundane, the angry spirits will still make their life hell, and a full facility for magical security is probably needed to manufacture anything that can be considered a "sin against nature".

And since I'm tired of other players PKing my characters for being amoral monsters, I think I'll accept that bioweapons are GM tools.

Testing in the wilds seems a very bad idea for several points :
* control isn't very effective : you can't be sure that what happens is from your disease or some other external factor
* there's not a shred of containment if the diseases doesn't turn out as planned : affects other targets, turns out more dangerous than expected, mutates into an awakened variant now that it's out of the mana-poor confines of a lab...
* depending on what sort of disease you're playing with (and since you mentioned biowarfare agents, I'd think 'deadly and higly contagious') it can gets damn obvious - and I'd think even rival coroporations will tend to cooperate if some jerk is spreading that sort of diseases out in the open.

A character doing that sort of crap isn't what you'd want to be associated with - even when you remove morals from the equation, hanging around that sort of peoples is like camping in the middle of an outdoor firing range : likely to get you killed. Unless the game centers around the character and it's diseases, he's likely to bring in more trouble than whatever else he brings his worth. The moral angle will make it even worse, but even a completely amoral character is likely to take exreme measures if forced to tag along with that sort of dangerous partner. After all, if it's between his safety and the loon's life, the decision is very easy. Perhaps even easier than a character acting out of morals.

On the other hand, having around a medic who in his pare time plays with things like improved colds or super-turista as a way to hamper the oppostion might get me worried (what if he botches..) but wouldn't raise that sort of problems.

+Quote Post
Simon Kerimov
post Aug 14 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Manunancy @ Aug 14 2010, 02:27 AM) *
Testing in the wilds seems a very bad idea for several points :
* control isn't very effective : you can't be sure that what happens is from your disease or some other external factor
* there's not a shred of containment if the diseases doesn't turn out as planned : affects other targets, turns out more dangerous than expected, mutates into an awakened variant now that it's out of the mana-poor confines of a lab...
* depending on what sort of disease you're playing with (and since you mentioned biowarfare agents, I'd think 'deadly and higly contagious') it can gets damn obvious - and I'd think even rival coroporations will tend to cooperate if some jerk is spreading that sort of diseases out in the open.

A character doing that sort of crap isn't what you'd want to be associated with - even when you remove morals from the equation, hanging around that sort of peoples is like camping in the middle of an outdoor firing range : likely to get you killed. Unless the game centers around the character and it's diseases, he's likely to bring in more trouble than whatever else he brings his worth. The moral angle will make it even worse, but even a completely amoral character is likely to take exreme measures if forced to tag along with that sort of dangerous partner. After all, if it's between his safety and the loon's life, the decision is very easy. Perhaps even easier than a character acting out of morals.

On the other hand, having around a medic who in his pare time plays with things like improved colds or super-turista as a way to hamper the oppostion might get me worried (what if he botches..) but wouldn't raise that sort of problems.

The morals I consider to be the larger impediment. All you need to avoid the diseases you are spreading is a full chemical seal, which is easy to come by.

As far as testing in the wild, that's pretty much what the Azzies did to the Yucatan and no Thor Shot popped up.

Control is something you can't get in epidemiology. Your subjects are populations, and the only way to observe them is in the wild.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Aug 14 2010, 10:46 AM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

I'm pretty sure some Gms would let a character have VD at start of chargen. I don't see what the big deal is.

+Quote Post
Straight Razor
post Aug 14 2010, 01:01 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,761

Any one with average level collage biology and chemistry, can grow a bacterial culture as large as they have room, equipment, and inclination for. As well, it not hard to take a bunch of swabs, see what grows. and identify what you found. So yea, if you have the time, talent, and money, you could grow cultures of any nasty little bug that you can find.
Viruses are only a little harder. Again 4 year degree in micro-biology should cover the skill needed to grow any culture you found. Your going to have to get more biologically active samples for the most part. Growing more of the common strain is simple enough. Though requiring more expensive equipment, and expendables.

I think the main point here is: what power level are we talking.

You want:
Food poisoning? super easy!: Egret poisoning? FUN.: last-years flu? easy enough...: explosive diarrhea and a lung cold at the same time? Not too hard.

Dead and bleeding form the eyes in 30sec, NO!

90% contagious @ 12 hrs incubation: 80% fatal within 72hrs? that's a whole story line for you getting the right samples, and a whole story line for what you are running from after the fact.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Aug 14 2010, 03:29 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

Hmm. I was thinking about trying to find nanites that attack a specific organ to kill someone very quickly, rather than the more random things like Cutters. Also, designed so that they can stay dormant in someone's system for a few months to be activated by radio command.

(I have an elven Black Mage in my party that has a Slaughter Humans spell.. I don't really trust her..)

DMSO Ghoul Smoothie is pretty nasty though.. Hmm, maybe carcerands?

+Quote Post
Traul
post Aug 14 2010, 03:59 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Aug 14 2010, 05:29 PM) *
Also, designed so that they can stay dormant in someone's system for a few months to be activated by radio command.

That would be hard to pull: nanites degrade even if dormant.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Aug 14 2010, 05:26 PM
Post #22

Runner

QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 14 2010, 05:59 PM) *
That would be hard to pull: nanites degrade even if dormant.

Yeah, I wonder if there's a workaround for that?

+Quote Post
Simon Kerimov
post Aug 14 2010, 06:36 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Aug 14 2010, 12:26 PM) *
Yeah, I wonder if there's a workaround for that?

To give someone a nanite poison, use Carcerand-plus holding whatever targeted payload you want. Nanite systems degrade at 1 rating point per week, or 1 rating point per 3 boxes of physical damage. Your options are to either give them a high rating dose so you have a longer period of time to set it off, or replace a cortex bomb with a nanite hive that keeps them circulating. Unlike a cortex bomb the nanite hives take a goodly chunk of Essence, and are no harder to find on a scan than a chunk of cyberware.

My personal favorite is to hide a nanohive in the victims plumbing, and keep delivering doses that way. You still need to refill the nanohive once a month for 500 nY per rating point, but sending a small drone up a water pipe is easier than trying to get it into a victim.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Aug 15 2010, 02:50 AM
Post #24

Runner

Oh, that would work yeah. Hmm, maybe carcerands with ghoul smoothie...

+Quote Post
Simon Kerimov
post Aug 15 2010, 03:04 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

You can also stick a nanohive in their pet Smoochems containing Carcerand-plus Intruder nanites, so when Smoochems cuddles up with the target, their infection is maintained.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:06 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.