Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oh, yeah I need Balistic armor., Armor suggestions please
SomeGuy
post Mar 3 2004, 05:13 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,982

Hello. I've got a character that's currently in a game, and after a near death experience in the first run I've realized if he wants to live though a second one he'll need some more armor.

My character can't use Cyber or bioware, so i'm limited to clothing/body armor specifically.

To make things worse, the character i'm playing is... a bit full of himself. He's very vain so currently he's just in some sleeping Tiger line suits (not nearly enough armor)

So any suggestions on what to put this guy in to keep him from looking like swiss cheese after every gun battle, and still look stylin' enough for a night on the town?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nomad
post Mar 3 2004, 05:19 AM
Post #2

The Wandering One

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 135

You really need to tailor the armor to the situation.

What you use for running is not what you take wear out to dinner.

My personal favorites are (Need Cannon Companion for these)

Running: Long Coat and Rapid Transit Heavy Jumpsuit

Night out on the Town - Vashon Island Actioneer

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 3 2004, 05:31 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

-----> :grinbig: :D Form Fitting Body Armor :D :grinbig: <-----

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Mar 3 2004, 05:45 AM
Post #4

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

Definately. Form-Fitting Body Armour is practically mandatory when being a Shadowrunner. :) You can get an armour rating of 3/1 from FFBA-2 for free as it were since it doesn't count against stacking armour or quickness penalties. And if the player is a bit of a snob the Armante, Vashon Island or Mortimer of London lines would probably interest them.

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Mar 3 2004, 05:52 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,302

Virtually any armor and a Fashion spell will do the trick...

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 3 2004, 06:49 AM
Post #6

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Digital Heroin)

That's one way to wearing that hardened Military Armour to a Luxury party.

Following Victory's success at introducing the Clone Trooper line to high society, we are now showcasing our latest effort in military chic: the Storm Trooper collection. Place your orders early to avoid disappointment!

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Mar 3 2004, 06:51 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

BOO! BOO!

Fan boys are never going to be accepted.

Ever!

Stupid Ewoks.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 3 2004, 07:00 AM
Post #8

Canon Companion

For those at the highest end of society who feel that they have need to show some macho military zest, we proudly present you the Vader!

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Mar 3 2004, 07:10 AM
Post #9

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (moosegod)
Stupid Ewoks.

*Hits moosegod with a tree and watches him explode.*

Yub yub! :D

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Mar 3 2004, 09:11 AM
Post #10

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
That's one way to wearing that hardened Military Armour to a Luxury party.
I have trouble with using Fashion on anything more protective than the Long Coat or Heavy Jumpsuit, due to Force limitations of the spell. It requires six 6's on the sorcery test to get a Force 6 Fashion spell to affect a Secure Jacket.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Mar 3 2004, 10:22 AM
Post #11

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

SomeGuy, just to sumarize the above suggestions, here are a couple standard configurations for people who optimize the numbers.

For a Character with Quickness 6, wear all 3 of the following:
Secure Long Coat (4/2), helps conceal weapons. SR3.284.
Victory Rapid Transit Heavy Jumpsuit (2/4), cool options. CC.50.
Full suit Form Fitting Body Armor (4/1). Cannon Companion p. 51.

Using the armor layering rules (SR3.285) you get full value of highest-rated layer of armor and half value of the next-highest rated layer. So for Ballistic you count Long Coat (4) and half of FFBA (4) for a total of 6. For Impact you count Heavy Jumpsuit (4) and half of Long Coat (2) for a total of 5. Thus you achieve 6/5 armor with this combination.

The sum of the full values of the Ballistic Layers (don't count the FFBA because it has special rules) is 6. The sum of the full values of the Impact Layers (don't count FFBA) is 6. Since neither exceeds the character's Quickness of 6 there is no penalty to Combat Pool, Quickness tests, or Quickness-linked skill tests. (See Layering rules on page 285.)

Adding helmets, shields, or forearm guards contribute at full value to armor, but also to the numbers used for determining penalties. There actually won't be any penalty if the sum of the full Impact Armors only exceeds your Quickness by 1, so talk your GM into letting you buy a cheap Skateboarding or Bicycling Helmet (0/1) at around a cost of 35 nuyen (even though its not in the books), or add forearm guards. Adding this gets you to 6/6 armor. Pretty good for a Quickness 6 character.

If the character is Quickness 7, you can use a Secure Jacket instead of a Secure Long Coat to get the Ballistic up to 7, but it doesn't raise the Impact protection.

The limits for Quickness 5 characters are lower. I haven't worked out an optimum combination. I hope this helps you evaluate what you're going to do.

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Mar 3 2004, 01:33 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

I understand why you might want to wear FFBA to avoid penalties to quickness and combat pool, but...

Why do I seem to remember that only 2 layers actually count for the armor? Isn't it full armor for the biggest layer, plus 1/2 armor for the second, and nill for any others? I'll have to look at my book tonight...

And I've never had a character with the full suit of FFBA - the hood, gloves, and booties are a bit conspicuous. It's hard to blend in when you are dressed like the Phantom. (Hooded FBA, trenchcoat, sunglasses)

EDIT: Oh, I see where you are going - you are only using 2 layers, but you are using a _different_ two layers for Ballistic vs Impact.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Mar 3 2004, 01:42 PM
Post #13

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

As far as I'm aware, there are no rules for having a third layer of armor. Some people halve it again, some people ignore it.

Don't forget, the full body camouflage suit is 5/3, I generally grab that rather than the jacket, and I put on thermal dampening.

The other thing to keep in mind, I generally get a bunch of the CC stuff for the FFBA; fire protection, gas seal, so on and so forth. I'm of the opinion that you can take off the gloves and the hood, so as long as you're not in short sleeves, it's not too too inconspicuous. FFBA... never leave home without it!

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Mar 3 2004, 01:44 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 825

Oh, I see where you are going - you are only using 2 layers, but you are using a _different_ two layers for Ballistic vs Impact.

Right. It's the two highest ratings that are used, not the two best overall pieces.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Mar 3 2004, 02:45 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

QUOTE (nezumi)
As far as I'm aware, there are no rules for having a third layer of armor. Some people halve it again, some people ignore it.

That is a major point of discussion. Somepeople let you and just keep apling the rules as is somepeople flat out don't.

Personally i'm one of the former since CP and quickness penelties start to add up pretty fast once once you go beyond the third none FFBA layer.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 3 2004, 02:49 PM
Post #16

Canon Companion

QUOTE (nezumi)
Don't forget, the full body camouflage suit is 5/3, I generally grab that rather than the jacket, and I put on thermal dampening.

I use the Rapid Transit Line Jumpsuits instead of the various camouflage suits. Those jumpsuits have up to 10 colours and patterns. So we can have 10 camou suits for the price of only 1.

+Quote Post
The Burning One
post Mar 3 2004, 03:07 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 2,067

Given that Someguy specifically mentioned that he wanted something that his character could look good in (ie. Camo Fatigues ain't going to cut it) I'd suggest the Actioneer Suit with a full suit of FFBA underneath. Beyond that your armour is going to start becoming more visible and less fashion friendly.

If you're entering situations where fashion is less important than sheer protective value then certainly, the suggestions offered above are entirely sound.

TBO

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Mar 3 2004, 03:42 PM
Post #18

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Or, if your GM isn't paying attention, multiple layers of FFBA! Just keep on layering on that +2 ballistic...

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Mar 3 2004, 04:22 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

QUOTE (The Burning One @ Mar 3 2004, 03:07 PM)
Given that Someguy specifically mentioned that he wanted something that his character could look good in (ie. Camo Fatigues ain't going to cut it) I'd suggest the Actioneer Suit with a full suit of FFBA underneath. Beyond that your armour is going to start becoming more visible and less fashion friendly.

If you're entering situations where fashion is less important than sheer protective value then certainly, the suggestions offered above are entirely sound.

TBO

I agree - mostly. I think the full suit is a bad idea. The armored hood and gloves don't go well with the Auctioneer. A bit of a social faux pas.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 3 2004, 04:25 PM
Post #20

Canon Companion

Strictly by Canon however, the full suit should be allowable. The hood can be passed off as some assessory and gloves are gloves. Micheal Jackson wears a glove. :P

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 3 2004, 04:30 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Dangling babies off balconies is also a bit of a social faux pas.

+Quote Post
The Burning One
post Mar 3 2004, 04:52 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 2,067

QUOTE (Lantzer)
I agree - mostly. I think the full suit is a bad idea. The armored hood and gloves don't go well with the Auctioneer. A bit of a social faux pas.

Correct me if I'm wrong but on the FFBA the hood can be tucked away and there's no saying you need to wear the gloves all the time. Pockets make wonderful storage spaces until you need the extra protection.

TBO

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 3 2004, 04:56 PM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Dangling babies off balconies is also a bit of a social faux pas.

Shouldn't be; more babies should be dangled off balconies.

As for the full FFBA, it has a Conceal of something like 10 so it's pretty clear that gloves, hood, etc. are a nonissue.

~J

+Quote Post
Kesh
post Mar 3 2004, 06:15 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,958

I'll echo my suggestion from the "how to keep your mage alive" thread: Armor Vest w/ plates and a Secure Longcoat. Good armor, extra concealability for your weapons, and it looks casual on the street.

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Mar 3 2004, 07:58 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

Kesh, that's got to be an Ares ad slogan:

"Ares PLATECH armor vest and Securicoat. Great aromor, extra concealability, and it looks casual on the street. Ares-- the armor makah!"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:25 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.