IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Armed Martial Arts, Some new Martial Arts for the melee enthusiasts out there.
The Grue Master
post Aug 17 2010, 06:00 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,799

It is important to remember that many armed fighting techniques involved a certain degree of grappling. Therefore, I would not rule out the use of Unarmed Combat with these martial arts but might restrict it to subduing, disarming or knockdown tests (where applicable). I'm interested in style, mechanic and general aesthetic advice all across the board. Plus I don't know German or Japanese and have been mostly relying on wikipedia/the internet for terminology, so feel free to give advice there as well. My primary focus here was to create martial arts advantages that were not just +DV/+1 die on [blank] Defense Tests (though I do have those). I was gauging the potential power of an advantage using the more unusual ones from Arsenal (including Arnis' damage while disarming and Krav Maga's Take Aim as Free Action) so keep things like that in mind when gauging the balance of my advantages.

Kenjutsu
Literally translated as "art of the sword", this word has come to refer to the variety of Japanese-influenced sword fighting techniques that have resurfaced in the past half century. Although encompassing numerous styles, ranging from meditative sparring techniques practiced by Buddhist monks to the extremely practical sword fighting techniques of the Red Samurai, this martial art represents the common traits of all variations. Practitioners of kenjutsu focus on proper striking techniques, speed and the anticipation of an opponents blows. Most kenjutsu schools advocate the use of a specific style of weapon (or weapons) that is integral to their techniques, the procurement of such a weapon (or weapons) may represent a greater challenge than purchasing a mass-produced katana at the local WW. Although the emphasis of this martial art is sword fighting, the use of grappling and scabbard blows is also addressed within the teachings of most styles.
Advantages:
+1 DV on Blades attacks, +1 die on Called Shots to increase damage, +1 die on Surprise Tests when initiating an attack, +1 Die for melee parry Defense Tests

Fencing
European fencing grew out of the use of lighter weapons and armor to defeat an opponent in heavier arms and armor, trading weapon weight and power for speed and mobility. Modern fencing includes numerous European blade fighting styles ranging from ultra-light bladeless foils which rely exclusively on piercing attacks to the heavier saber styles that still incorporate some cutting strokes. All techniques, however, include the use of long one-handed blades (some with a second smaller weapon in the off-hand) and most focus on the sporting element of their use; however some newer schools have appeared in the past few decades that teach a more martial use of fencing advocating it's use as a self defense. These schools place more emphasis on tumbling, mat exercises and dealing with 'real life' combat situations such as much larger opponents, firearms and the like. They also have a greater emphasis on attacks targeting vital areas of an opponent; skilled practitioners being able to cripple or kill and opponent with a well placed strike.
Advantages:
-1 AP on Blades attacks, +1 die on Called Shots to negate armor, +1 die on Full Defense against melee attacks (Dodge and Parry), +1 die on Called Shots to inflict damage (optionally you can use: +1 die on Called Shots to inflict Severe Wounds)

Blossfechten
The resurgence of large two-handed swords (particularly in the hands of trolls) necessitated the adoption of a fighting style appropriate to this unique weapon class. After an unnamed swordsman from the Black Forest Troll Kingdom uploaded an experimental Matrix 'fechtbuch' (combat manual) to a German shadow node, there has been an explosion of underground experimentation to perfect the use of these ungainly weapons against a wide range of opponents. Named after a medieval sword fighting technique focused on opponents in 'soft' armor, this martial art is highly unusual in its techniques. Fighters focus on controlling their otherwise unwieldy weapons by shifting between stances or fighting positions, including transitional stances that incorporate unusual-looking techniques (fighters may grip the blade and strike with the pummel, hold the sword in middle or allow it to press flat against their opponent in order to bind them). While medieval longsword blades were too dull to cut the hand holding them, modern weapons are extremely sharp and avid practitioners of Blossfechten use specialized gloves (treat as Rappelling Gloves) to prevent cutting their own hands. Due to its focus on grappling and the use of the sword as a tool for leverage and maneuvering, most Blossfechten techniques can be easily adapted to many other larger weapons including poleaxes, maces and war hammers. Despite having very few formal schools there are numerous shadow tutorsofts in existance explaining various principles of Blossfechten.
Advantages:
+1 die on Called Shots to increase damage, +1 die on melee parry Defense Tests, additionally practitioners of Blossfecthen are masters of their weapons' great lengths, by sacrificing a point of their weapons reach they can increase their Strength by 1 when making knockdown/disarm tests (may be taken twice for a cumulative -2 reach/+2 strength)

Neo-Bartitsu
With the resurgence of the Neo-Victorian ideals and the success of Vashon Island's Steampunk line of personal armor, it was only fitting that this bizarre English (by way of the Orient) Martial Art be resuscitated as well. Once described as "the cleanest way to fight dirty", Neo-Bartitsu focuses on identifying and utilizing an enemies strengths and weaknesses against them while minimizing personal exposure. Heavily influenced by Jujitsu, Kung Fu and Eskrima, Neo-Bartitsu students first must master basic boxing, wrestling, the use of the foot (both offensively and defensively) before moving on to armed fighting techniques. Although Neo-Bartitsu primarily relies on sticks to fight (canes or umbrellas), it isn't exclusively a stick-fighting art, combatants are encourage to utilize anything on their person in a defensive or offensive capacity, commonly 'improvised' weapons include jackets, pocket knives, watch chains, purse straps, as well as snuff boxes and hats (both commonly thrown). Despite this vast arsenal there is almost no training with long bladed weapons as they are not considered weapons likely to be carried on one's person in 'polite society'.
Advantages:
+1 DV on Clubs attacks, +1 die on Called Shots to disarm; +1 die on Exotic Weapon: Whips and Exotic Weapon: Garrote tests with improvised weapons (may negate defaulting penalty); Neo-Bartitsu practitioners may inflict a -2 penalty for one combat turn (see Disorient maneuver) on successful improvised Throwing Weapons attack, this effect does not stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Smokeskin
post Aug 17 2010, 06:02 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,995

Now we just need some adept melee powers

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Aug 17 2010, 06:39 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,749

I'd agree if weapon foci weren't in the game. I have considered houserulling the use of elemental strike via a weapon focus, but none of my players have asked for it, yet.

+Quote Post
Lansdren
post Aug 17 2010, 08:41 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,848

Those are some nice additions I must say they will be being pinched for my game.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Aug 17 2010, 09:54 AM
Post #5

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

QUOTE (Laodicea @ Aug 17 2010, 08:39 AM) *
I'd agree if weapon foci weren't in the game. I have considered houserulling the use of elemental strike via a weapon focus, but none of my players have asked for it, yet.
I think you can go even further, allow all the hand to hand powers as separate powers for each of the melee skills. Well maybe without nerve strike. So you could have Critical Clubs Strike or Penetrating Blades Strike.

I don't get why unarmed adepts are supposed to be superior to armed close combat adepts. Having a weapon you know how to use in a fight is generally better than not having one, this should remain true for adepts as well.

Why do you call the longsword technique Bloßfechten? This refers to unarmored fighting with the longsword. I guess runners rarely fight unarmored. If you want a German name, I suggest you simply call it "Fechten mit dem langen Schwert" (Fencing with the long sword).

+Quote Post
The Grue Master
post Aug 17 2010, 10:16 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Because Blossfechten focuses on targets with 'soft' armor, where the weight of the blade can not be used to create a stunning concussion against 'hard' armor. Since most armor is soft or absorbent in 2072, I figured the grappling/slicing techniques of the medieval Blossfechten would be more appropriate.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Aug 17 2010, 10:25 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

I like these. Nice additions, not absurdly powerful but good enough to use.

@Dakka: interesting ideas..

+Quote Post
McCummhail
post Aug 17 2010, 12:25 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,452

There was a similar discussion not too long ago.
It makes for an interesting comparison.

+Quote Post
HugeC
post Aug 17 2010, 01:20 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,563

I like this!

If I may make a suggestion for Blossfechten: +1 STR / -1 reach seems pretty meh for 5 BP. I get that you are trying to model using the sword as a lever, which would necessitate reducing the reach, but why not make it just +1 STR for disarm/knockdown? Then it seems more worth it. Or maybe +2 STR / -1 reach.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Aug 17 2010, 02:01 PM
Post #10

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

I have a sudden thought of a pixie adept riding in and AR-piloting a weapon focus Otomo body...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Aug 17 2010, 04:43 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Aug 17 2010, 03:54 AM) *
I think you can go even further, allow all the hand to hand powers as separate powers for each of the melee skills. Well maybe without nerve strike. So you could have Critical Clubs Strike or Penetrating Blades Strike.

I don't get why unarmed adepts are supposed to be superior to armed close combat adepts. Having a weapon you know how to use in a fight is generally better than not having one, this should remain true for adepts as well.

My point about the weapon foci was that in terms of landing the attack, armed combat users are better due to weapon foci. Unarmed users are better at dealing damage due to critical strike and penetrating strike. It seems basically balanced to me.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Aug 17 2010, 04:59 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Laodicea @ Aug 17 2010, 06:43 PM) *
My point about the weapon foci was that in terms of landing the attack, armed combat users are better due to weapon foci. Unarmed users are better at dealing damage due to critical strike and penetrating strike. It seems basically balanced to me.
Weapon Foci are not limited to "armed" adepts. Brass knuckles or other weapons using the Unarmed Combat skill are great for "unarmed" adepts. If the adept is willing to sacrifice magic, he can even take Bone Density Augmentation for even more damage.

+Quote Post
The Grue Master
post Aug 17 2010, 07:49 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (HugeC @ Aug 17 2010, 09:20 AM) *
I like this!

If I may make a suggestion for Blossfechten: +1 STR / -1 reach seems pretty meh for 5 BP. I get that you are trying to model using the sword as a lever, which would necessitate reducing the reach, but why not make it just +1 STR for disarm/knockdown? Then it seems more worth it. Or maybe +2 STR / -1 reach.

My logic for the +1 Str/-1 Reach was that you're sacrificing a potential die in exchange for guaranteed hit on a knockdown test, that seemed pretty powerful already. It's not quite so useful for disarm tests, since those already have a penalized DP.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Aug 17 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #14

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (Laodicea @ Aug 17 2010, 11:43 AM) *

Basically balanced, perhaps, but downright backwards.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Aug 17 2010, 08:55 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Aug 17 2010, 10:59 AM) *
Weapon Foci are not limited to "armed" adepts. Brass knuckles or other weapons using the Unarmed Combat skill are great for "unarmed" adepts. If the adept is willing to sacrifice magic, he can even take Bone Density Augmentation for even more damage.

Right, but killing hands and its kin would not work.

+Quote Post
The Grue Master
post Aug 17 2010, 09:14 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Laodicea @ Aug 17 2010, 04:55 PM) *

Given the use of knuckle foci and the fact that critical strike works without killings hands, I found I stopped taking killing hands in a lot of my builds. Really a pity they don't work better.

+Quote Post
crash2029
post Aug 18 2010, 08:56 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

From: The seemingly unknown area of land between Seattle and Idaho.
Member No.: 9,910

Would it be appropriate to post other custom styles here?

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Aug 18 2010, 09:47 AM
Post #18

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Laodicea @ Aug 17 2010, 10:55 PM) *
Why not? Wearing gloves does not preclude using killing hands AFAIK, why would weighted gloves (hardliner) do that?

+Quote Post
The Grue Master
post Aug 18 2010, 10:52 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (crash2029 @ Aug 18 2010, 04:56 AM) *
Would it be appropriate to post other custom styles here?

Fine by me!

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Aug 20 2010, 08:34 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,342

Regarding the usage of unarmed combat powers with melee weapons, i've ruled that an adept would need first to take the item attunement metamagic, and then a second one that would alow him to use unarmed powers with a blade he's attuned to.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Aug 20 2010, 08:55 AM
Post #21

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (treehugger @ Aug 20 2010, 10:34 AM) *
Regarding the usage of unarmed combat powers with melee weapons, i've ruled that an adept would need first to take the item attunement metamagic, and then a second one that would alow him to use unarmed powers with a blade he's attuned to.

Thar kinda sucks as you cant attune your weapon focus.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:30 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.