IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Improving the Pilot/Sensor rating of cars, Help. I'm frustrated trying to find the rules.
suoq
post Aug 23 2010, 06:24 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,746

Vehicles: Do I assume Device rating 3 (pg 222 SR4A) and therefore response of 3 and upper limit (after upgrading) of response/system of 5 and therefore capable of buying a pilot program for that vehicle of 3-5? Same with clearsight and maneuver autosofts? Can the clearsight have a higher rating than the sensors? Can the maneuver have a higher rating than the pilot?

Sensors in a vehicle (pg105 arsenal)
Atmosphere Sensor (taking up 1 Capacity)
• 2 Cameras (front and back, taking up 2 Capacity)
• 2 Laser Range Finders (front and back, taking up 2 Capacity)
• 2 Motion Sensors (front and back, taking up 2 Capacity)
• Radar (taking up 5 Capacity)

Cameras and radar have ratings and therefore to improve the sensor rating (for example, to 6) would I just improve the camera and radar systems and ignore the range finders and motion sensors?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Traul
post Aug 23 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

There is at least one drone that comes with a Rating 4 autosoft, the Dragonfly, but I guess it's a typo.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 23 2010, 06:38 PM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Yes, you upgrade the node and then slap in higher rating programs (Pilot, etc.). AFAIK, Autosofts are limited by System (==Pilot) just as any program is.

For Sensor, the Sensor Rating is nothing but an (averaged) shorthand for all the sensors, as you say. Rating-less sensors are counted as equal to the average. The better way to play (if you're upgrading sensors) is to simply use the rating of the *relevant* sensor(s) for a given test. If it's visual, use the Camera ratings, not the Sensor Rating. You can also replace the stock vehicle sensor capacity with whatever combination you want; be sure to remember that removing too much could hinder the autopilot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
suoq
post Aug 23 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #4

Running Target

QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 23 2010, 01:33 PM) *
There is at least one drone that comes with a Rating 4 autosoft, the Dragonfly, but I guess it's a typo.

Good catch. I think I can handwave that as having a level of Optimization (115 unwired) letting it run on a response/system 3.

However, that handwave reminds me that I don't need to pump up the response/system of the drone/vehicle for autosofts since I can just use optimization. I only need to bump it up for pilot.

Now the question is, where is the upgrade costs table for Program Option Types for Autosofts? Optimization (115 Unwired) clearly says autosofts can be optimized but the table on pg 117 Unwired just has general use, hacking, and simsense.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 23 2010, 07:45 PM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

It's General. Optimization is in the General Category. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Surprisingly cheap.

+Quote Post
suoq
post Aug 23 2010, 09:24 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Additional note: Pricing autosofts, I see they're only available up to rating 4. The price difference between rating 3 (1500) and rating 4 (4000), tells me that [edit]Rating[/edit] 3 is a perfectly reasonable choice.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 23 2010, 11:35 PM
Post #7

Advocatus Diaboli

3 what?

+Quote Post
suoq
post Aug 24 2010, 01:03 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Edited above...

Grrr.

I just realized. Vehicle/Drones have a response of 3.
That means they have a processor limit of diddly-squat, i.e. they can run two programs before that response drops to 2.
I think (but for the life of me, can't find the rule) that firewalls don't count against that restriction, so basically a drone/vehicle can have a pilot program and ONE autosoft before the Response takes a dive. (and still have a firewall up). Neither Autosofts or Pilots can be made ergonomic.

Or am I missing something?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 24 2010, 01:06 AM
Post #9

Advocatus Diaboli

I feel like neither System nor Firewall count; after all, there are Response 1 devices. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 24 2010, 01:56 AM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 23 2010, 06:03 PM) *
Edited above...

Grrr.

I just realized. Vehicle/Drones have a response of 3.
That means they have a processor limit of diddly-squat, i.e. they can run two programs before that response drops to 2.
I think (but for the life of me, can't find the rule) that firewalls don't count against that restriction, so basically a drone/vehicle can have a pilot program and ONE autosoft before the Response takes a dive. (and still have a firewall up). Neither Autosofts or Pilots can be made ergonomic.

Or am I missing something?

Matrix Attributes are Not Programs in the Shadowrun sense... So no, Firewalls and System do not count towards program limits. Also, if you do not like having a 3 Response, just up your Matrix attributes and you will worry a bit less... As a Note: Civilian Devices are Rated at 3, Security Devices are Rated at 4, and Military Devices are rated at 5+ (7+ for the really uber bleeding edge stuff out there)... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smokin.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 24 2010, 01:59 AM
Post #11

Advocatus Diaboli

If you're dying for the 'Firewall doesn't count' rule reference, I recall seeing it. Either it's in the FAQ, or I've got it marked someplace… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
suoq
post Aug 24 2010, 03:09 AM
Post #12

Running Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 23 2010, 08:56 PM) *
As a Note: Civilian Devices are Rated at 3, Security Devices are Rated at 4, and Military Devices are rated at 5+ (7+ for the really uber bleeding edge stuff out there)... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smokin.gif)

Hmmm. Interesting. Security Vehicles have a device rating 4 on pg 222 SR4A. That makes the Lone Star Modified Honda 3240 Turbo and the DocWagon SRT very interesting indeed.

------------

Camera question. Cameras mention that micro-cameras can't be upgraded past 1(pg 332 SRA4). I'm assuming that means micro drones can't get better cameras (limiting their sensor rating) but Mini drones can.

Man, that seems munchkiny.... That fly spy seems so open to abuse as a recon tool.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:20 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.