IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Contact Lens Capacity & SmartLink, Yeah RTFM baby.
codemonkey_uk
post Aug 24 2010, 09:38 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,928

So... trying to do a basic audit of my groups characters, I need clarification of how Capacity on Vision Enhancements work.

Using SR4A for page numbers. If I have understood the rules correctly:

* Contact Lenses rating 1-3 are listed on p332 as having Capacity 1-3.
* SmartLink is listed on p 341 as using 3 Capacity.

This implies that to use Contact Lenses with Smart Link, they must be at least rating 3, and furthermore, could not support additional enhancements.

And yet, the Gun Slinger Adept example on p104 is listed as having:

* Contact Lenses [Rating 2 w/Smartlink and Image Link];

How is this possible? What have I misunderstood?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Aug 24 2010, 09:43 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

* SmartLink is listed on p 341 as using 3 Capacity.
in Cybereyes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
for Contact Lenses everything (except Ultrasound.) uses only one Slot.
But Smartlink needs an Image Link

with only one Step in his Dance
Medicineman

+Quote Post
codemonkey_uk
post Aug 24 2010, 09:49 AM
Post #3

Target

I don't suppose you've got page numbers for that? I'm a bit out of my depth and I've got players who are going to want more than "some guy on the internet told me". Variable capacity costs depending on what device something is installed in seems a bit arbitrary to me.

Thanks.

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Aug 24 2010, 10:30 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 6,651

SR4a p333, top left: "A number of options are available for installation in visual sensors and imaging devices. Each enhancement costs 1 Capacity."

+Quote Post
codemonkey_uk
post Aug 24 2010, 10:43 AM
Post #5

Target

Okay, I think I've got all the rules in order now.

The final piece of the puzzle is on p339 which states "Eyeware subsystems either take up Capacity in a cybereye or Essence in a natural eye (not both)", so I now have explict rules explaining how subsystems & modules are added to both contact lenses and CyberEyes.

Thankyou both very much for the help getting that cleared up.

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Aug 24 2010, 11:30 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 18,786

QUOTE (codemonkey_uk @ Aug 24 2010, 12:43 PM) *
Okay, I think I've got all the rules in order now.

The final piece of the puzzle is on p339 which states "Eyeware subsystems either take up Capacity in a cybereye or Essence in a natural eye (not both)", so I now have explict rules explaining how subsystems & modules are added to both contact lenses and CyberEyes.

Thankyou both very much for the help getting that cleared up.

Your quoted bit actually deals with installing the vision enhancements directly into your eyes. In that case, they cost essence, whereas they instead would just cost capacity from a cybereye. F'rinstance, installing an image link, eye recording unit, flare compensation and smartlink in a rating 1 cybereye costs 500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) for the cybereyes, 750 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) for the flare compensation and 1000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) for the smartlink, as well as 0.2 essence for the eyes. Image link and recording unit come with the eye. Installing all that directly into your eye (say you want to keep some thermographic vision, or don't like having fake eyes) would be 2000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) for the recording unit, 750 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) for flare compensation, 500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) for image link and 1000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) for smartlink, as well as a whopping 0.4 essence. A total of 2000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) and 0.2 essence more, but hey, you got to keep your own eyes. Instead you could just have installed image link and smartlink in your own eyes, for the same essence cost, but 750 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) less. A slightly worse deal, since you could just skip on the flare compensation from the cybereyes, too, but hey, then it's a choice between real modified eyes or an eye recording unit.

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Aug 24 2010, 11:35 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 6,651

For the record, cybereyes include an Image Link and a recording unit for free (SR4a, p340)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.