http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/release...03/03_exo.shtml
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Req
post Mar 4 2004, 05:54 PM
Post #2

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 277

Dammit, I was just on my way to post that! Guess you read [H]ardOCP too, eh? :)

Anyway. Cool. We're closer than I thought.

+Quote Post
grendel
post Mar 4 2004, 06:02 PM
Post #3

Prime Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 284

Maybe we need to rehash our powered armor discussion of two years ago?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 4 2004, 06:05 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

This'll be interesting... wonder how long it'll be before we see hikers with too much money and not enough stamina out on the trail in these?

~J

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 4 2004, 06:15 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

That'd be about as smart as hunting with nukes. Or getting a tamagochi to have someone to communicate with. Or living without ever shedding a tear... Oh no, wait...

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 4 2004, 06:21 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Hunting with Barrets close enough to hunting with nukes for you? Not counting things like rhino, elephant, wildebeeste, or juggernaut, which might actually need it.

~J

+Quote Post
Shanshu Freeman
post Mar 4 2004, 08:18 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,110

QUOTE (Req)
Dammit, I was just on my way to post that! Guess you read [H]ardOCP too, eh? :)

Anyway. Cool. We're closer than I thought.

You read the [H]?? Then do you read genmay too? I hang out there alot.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 4 2004, 08:34 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Hunting with Barrets close enough to hunting with nukes for you? Not counting things like rhino, elephant, wildebeeste, or juggernaut, which might actually need it.

Certainly not. Sure it's horrible overkill, against any RL land mammal (juggies are different, they do warrant Barrett-use), but it doesn't change the fact that you have to find the animal and get a clear shot at it. It allows you to do it at greater range and without having to exactly hit the heart/lung zone, but the end result is still edible meat, and most of the thrill of hunting.

A .50BMG pushes ~14,000ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle, while even the most bad-ass elephant-murdering cannons usually do ~11,000ft-lbs. You can kill an elephant just fine with ~7,000-8,000ft-lbs. Killing an elephant does not require a Barrett. Killing a few dozen of them might require an M2HB, though. And then we'd be talking about the same level of idiocy as jogging with robotic legs.

+Quote Post
mcb
post Mar 4 2004, 08:41 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,083

Most game laws in African countries the minimum cartridge for hunting Elephant is the 375 H&H and that is only pushing a little over 4000 ft-lbs depending on then load. A lot of Elephant have been taken with lighter rifles in the past.

mcb

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 4 2004, 08:58 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Okay. I was just making sure, so I used the .460Wby as a guideline.

What is with Weatherby and muzzle energy, anyway?

+Quote Post
mcb
post Mar 4 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Ohhh the 460Wby is one of the most painful recoiling rifles around. There are several rifles with a greater total recoil impulse but few guns produce as high a recoil force in as short time. I have talked to guys that would rather shoot 700NE than a 460Wby. I am not sure what’s with Weatherby and velocity? But if it’s say xxxWby its probably going to be fast!

I do know that once while my father was reloading 270 Winchester his reloading manuals page got turned buy the fan and he accidentally was loading 270 Weatherby charges into 270 Winchester cases. He loaded two boxes of it but it only took firing two rounds to figure out his mistake. The first round burned the primer out of the case. The second shoot also burn the primer out of the case and the bolt handle was hard to open. Had it not been for the strong Winchester model 70 action it might have been a much more costly lesson. Needless to say both of us are very careful about triple checking our powder charges while reloading.

mcb

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 4 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

It's just so funny when the standard Weatherby magnums are more powerful than the Remington Ultra magnums and whatever else. So when I first saw the entry name ".30-378 Wby", I was laughing well before I got to the actual ballistics data.

As for the original topic:
Rehashing the powered armor topic might indeed be in order... Slightly less bulk and more maneuverability, and power armor is right around the corner.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Mar 5 2004, 01:12 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

This'll look cool once its out of beta and they're mass producing it. The closer to SR we get, the better I feel. :D

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 5 2004, 02:23 AM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

And the better you will feel, right up until you die of VITAS :D

~J

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 5 2004, 03:21 PM
Post #15

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

i will be more interested when this comes with arm attachments. right now it only makes you able to walk around with a insane load on your back, but when one can lift that kind of insane load with you "own" hands ill be interested :)

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 5 2004, 03:46 PM
Post #16

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

This is something I've used in SR for years, and finally submitted to NAGEE back in 1999. It might be relevent for a base, although at the time I certainly wanted to remain with something non-military. I accept criticism, but only if it's polite.

+Quote Post
mcb
post Mar 5 2004, 04:06 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

I actually had a colleague in the lab I was doing my Ph.D. research in actually submit a proposal to Darpa for that same program the Berkeley lab did. He did not get funded but Darpa was primarily looking for a exo that would extend the effect range of the solders not augment the solders performance, hence the lack of arms. They were looking for a system that would let a solder carry a stander load over a greater distance and arrive with enough energy to fight immediately.

One thing I know having meet some of the Special–Ops guys while do my research is they would not get into the present system to save their life. Since you have to lace your feet into that system if you were ambushed there would be now way to get out of the system fast. If and actuator or power plant were to be damage or fail suddenly the system becomes a boat anchored and your chained to it. There needs to be a way to dump that system fast.

On a side note the Remington Ultra Mag Series is right there with Weatherby loads in both velocity and energy. Any of the 7mm, 300, 338, 375 RUM are within 3-5% of the Weatherby counterpart. In some cases the RUM are higher and some a little lower then the Wby but its not enough that the target could tell the difference. And the RUM is a bit more affordable then Wby. A box of 300RUM will only cost you $35-$40 a box and the 300 Wby will run $40-$55. a box.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:12 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.